I'm feeling alright now.

Random Banter
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

I'm feeling alright now.

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I do apologise for being a wanker in the past.

So what are we all doing for Christmas?

I'm staying here and watching something from Studio Ghibli.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Re: I'm feeling alright now.

Post by LadyCentauria »

Really pleased you're feeling alright now, @SkysGoneOut – long may it continue :D :hug:

I shall be mostly here, hoping there'll be lots of dance films and ballets and horses on the telly plus the Doctor Who Christmas Special! Will be spending the day with Maman and my son and my step-father (and whoever else turns up) because she loves Christmas. My father doesn't do Christmassy stuff (or what he calls Hallmark occasions!) so we'll get together and do something different away from the crowds – and get our New Year's cards and letters posted.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Good to hear you're feeling better now Sky.

We're staying home, will be feeding neighbour's cats as they are away.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Glad you're better Sky.You may have been a wanker occasionally,but you were a pretty funny one most of the time.
Just me and my daughter for Christmas this year,and seeing as she spent the last one in a 3 day meltdown I'm slightly dreading it.Still,I've got a new book,champagne,cake and a stuffed duck ready.Might buy a box set and that will be me sorted.Walk the dogs,sit by the woodburner(oh,how I love it)drinking and reading even if Rosie wants to stay in her room smashing things up.
Or she may be fine and we can watch the 1985 Nutcracker for the millionth tiime this year.
What we won't be doing is decorating the tree with dildos and writing 'fuck' on the yule log,which are my daughters ideas for christmas decor.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Wonderful you're feeling alright now!

I've never known you as a wanker, Sky'sGoneOut.

Makes me wonder if I've ever been a wanker. Probably. Please let me know if I've offended you - everyone, please don't hesitate to let me know if I've given offence. I'll ponder the offence & decide appropriate action. We're social beings. The more we interact, the greater the likelihood of giving offence.

Christmas plans - none. My partner & I don't too much attention to specific holidays though I love Christmas, birthdays, May Day, All Souls' Eve...

I love people who are good at celebrating holidays well. I appreciate the time, effort & love that goes into celebrating holidays in fine style - by fine style I mean true, heartfelt beauty. I don't have the talent for it. I've never tried to learn how, either. I'm able to appreciate the talent in others & I hope it suffices.

We'll be visiting family after Christmas because it's less stressful for us all.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Being on my own, I'll be spending Xmas on my own: long lie-in, tuck in to the books I've laid out to beguile myself, turkey, roast potatoes and multiple veg, stay warm. I've no family to holiday with: a sister I've only spoken to at funerals for the last decade, three cousins spread about Canada and Australia, so I do a self-contained day. I'll probably only indulge in TV for Dr Who, and the day has the potential to be absolutely ruined if they don't dispose of Jenna Coleman for once and for all because after this last series, I can't stand her.

Oh, and I'll probably have a drink or two.
The truth ferret speaks!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

mbc1955 wrote:Being on my own, I'll be spending Xmas on my own: long lie-in, tuck in to the books I've laid out to beguile myself, turkey, roast potatoes and multiple veg, stay warm. I've no family to holiday with: a sister I've only spoken to at funerals for the last decade, three cousins spread about Canada and Australia, so I do a self-contained day. I'll probably only indulge in TV for Dr Who, and the day has the potential to be absolutely ruined if they don't dispose of Jenna Coleman for once and for all because after this last series, I can't stand her.

No ferrets to share your mince pies with ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

We've had a few major expenses in the last few weeks so husband & I are opting for less expensive presents for each other.

One of the things we are doing, really fun in the making, is personalised crossword puzzles for each other.

Can really recommend it if anyone has a crossword fan as a friend or in the family.
Have used a crossword maker online to get the basic shape, using words and phrases that have memories etc for my husband, then made a mix of cryptic and ordinary clues for him to follow.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

yahyah wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:Being on my own, I'll be spending Xmas on my own: long lie-in, tuck in to the books I've laid out to beguile myself, turkey, roast potatoes and multiple veg, stay warm. I've no family to holiday with: a sister I've only spoken to at funerals for the last decade, three cousins spread about Canada and Australia, so I do a self-contained day. I'll probably only indulge in TV for Dr Who, and the day has the potential to be absolutely ruined if they don't dispose of Jenna Coleman for once and for all because after this last series, I can't stand her.

No ferrets to share your mince pies with ?
Sadly no: the ferret is but a fragrant (?) memory.
The truth ferret speaks!
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

mbc1955 wrote:Being on my own, I'll be spending Xmas on my own: long lie-in, tuck in to the books I've laid out to beguile myself
I ordered two 1000 page long compendiums of Hard Sci-Fi short stories for myself. For me Christmas is all about reading tales that teach me String Theory while watching classic Japanese Anime.

Being on your own can mutate certain social norms.

And don't get me going on Doctor Who, you're speaking to someone who sent in the idea to have Daleks and Cybermen fighting in 1979, I still have the response politely declining my idea on Tardis headed BBC paper.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Rebecca wrote:You may have been a wanker occasionally,but you were a pretty funny one most of the time.
So a 'mostly pretty funny wanker' you say?

I can live with that.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I quite enjoy the run up to Christmas if my energy levels are good, but don't much enjoy the day itself any more.

Up to Christmas Eve I cook all sorts of goodies for my son, and for when we get together with the rest of my family at my nieces on Christmas Eve. I'm totally knackered by then and hopefully can go to bed early to read :)

On Christmas morning we go to our sons to see the kids open their presents, have an early lunch, Mr Ohso collapses back onto the sofa, I leave the washing up and spend the afternoon in bed reading.
A teatime I get up and read. Sip a few gin and limes, leave the washing up, then go to bed early for another read. :)
When I hit 45 years of cooking Christmas dinners and knew Mr Ohso was never going to volunteer to do the washing up, I said sod it, and decided it wouldn't kill me to leave it till the next day....
Last edited by ohsocynical on Wed 10 Dec, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:Being on my own, I'll be spending Xmas on my own: long lie-in, tuck in to the books I've laid out to beguile myself
I ordered two 1000 page long compendiums of Hard Sci-Fi short stories for myself. For me Christmas is all about reading tales that teach me String Theory while watching classic Japanese Anime.

Being on your own can mutate certain social norms.

And don't get me going on Doctor Who, you're speaking to someone who sent in the idea to have Daleks and Cybermen fighting in 1979, I still have the response politely declining my idea on Tardis headed BBC paper.
I'd love to see that letter!

Which compendiums have you chosen? I'm thinking about getting some new books and feeling in the mood to move away from fantasy back to the more sci-fi side of things. So far I've got the Old Mars and Old Venus anthologies on my list (retro sci-fi) but need more suggestions, please. Otherwise, it'll probably be re-reads of Asimov, Anderson, and such-like - mostly falling apart survivors of endless re-readings from the '70s onward...

Edit to add: or a Moorcock binge...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Oh and BTW. Happy Christmas TSGO.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

LadyCentauria wrote:
Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: Which compendiums have you chosen?
"The Ascent of wonder - The evolution of Hard SF."

is the most annoying one.

It's hardback and over a thousand pages strong.

Try falling asleep reading and have that fall on your nose.

It hurts.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Thanks @Sky, I will check that out. I might need a lectern for that – probably couldn't lift the book onto it, mind ;)
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

Things still shit here. Stepmother still dead, brother still in prison for killing her whist awaiting his Atos decision, father still absolutely hateful (in both senses). There is no Christmas.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

LadyCentauria wrote:Thanks @Sky, I will check that out. I might need a lectern for that – probably couldn't lift the book onto it, mind ;)
I worked out that reading while lying sideways stopped it falling on my face.

Seriously though if you're looking to get back into sci-fi from fantasy go and read all of Iain M Banks Culture novels. They're a nice balance of both. And really funny.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

51A wrote:Things still shit here. Stepmother still dead, brother still in prison for killing her whist awaiting his Atos decision, father still absolutely hateful (in both senses). There is no Christmas.
Bummer.

I just had a live Stepmother in yesterday. You should have asked.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Working over Christmas, the morning, all day Boxing day, my choice, namely to get away from it all.

Between the 25th and NY I will be meeting my bloke, on some railway station in some southern English town, we will then go to his place for a few days, that's my Christmas. :hug:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

51A wrote:Things still shit here. Stepmother still dead, brother still in prison for killing her whist awaiting his Atos decision, father still absolutely hateful (in both senses). There is no Christmas.
No words just :hug: and hand to hold...
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

LadyCentauria wrote:
No words just :hug: and hand to hold...
Thank you. I just don't know anything about anything any more. There he was, my brother, my friend, he still is my brother, my friend and he did this awful thing that changed so many lives. Where now? I am going to see him for the first time tomorrow. What can I say? What can I do?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

51A wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
51A wrote:
Thank you. I just don't know anything about anything any more. There he was, my brother, my friend, he still is my brother, my friend and he did this awful thing that changed so many lives. Where now? I am going to see him for the first time tomorrow. What can I say? What can I do?
You can tell him that ^ what you said just up there. Especially if you don't think he was in his right mind when he did it ~ if he was ill. It will be hard for you but you wouldn't be going if you didn't want to. So, either write down the things you need to tell him or just let it flow when you're there. Some of the visit might go easily; after all he is still the bro you know, inside.

And PM me after, if you need to, or share it with us in the Anything you want to talk about thread in the Pub. I wish you well for the day ahead. You'll do ok. :hug:
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Once I realised you could get black Christmas trees from Argos it just had to be done.

Besides yours truly that's Steve who moved in a little while ago, nice lad very camp, and my friend Claudia who's Polish and wonderful.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

LadyCentauria wrote:
51A wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
You can tell him that ^ what you said just up there. Especially if you don't think he was in his right mind when he did it ~ if he was ill. It will be hard for you but you wouldn't be going if you didn't want to. So, either write down the things you need to tell him or just let it flow when you're there. Some of the visit might go easily; after all he is still the bro you know, inside.

And PM me after, if you need to, or share it with us in the Anything you want to talk about thread in the Pub. I wish you well for the day ahead. You'll do ok. :hug:
I'd like to echo those sentiments. He is still your brother, still your friend and undoubtedly needs your friendship now more than ever; we label people far too easily in this country now (not that I'm suggesting you are), rather than accepting them for the complete & complex person they are and trying to understand (and help them understand) the steps they took to reach the place they are today. Hang on in there and know that you have support here, at least.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

LadyCentauria wrote:
51A wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:

Again, thank you.

Do you know, once I found the place - I love Cardiff city centre, it's not too big, has everything you need and a bit more but not a single signpost to where the prison is (I decided not to drive, to take the bus was both cheaper and under the circumstances seemed less stressful). It's like, "This is Cardiff City Centre, it's nice now, we've done it up, all the shops, all the attractions, but let's pretend the dark underbelly that is the house of correction isn't really here!" - it was all fine. I don't know whether they put the overtly nice prison officers in the meet and greet positions but they were very nice. And my brother and I cried only about 50% of the time, most of the rest we were fine and even laughed out loud a few times.

I liked it so much I've booked to go back for his birthday in January (ok, it's the only venue he can be in for his birthday in January).

I still think that without the pressure of Atos he'd not be there. Having known him for almost 50 years and him never even had a parking fine. But hey, he's not claiming benefits anymore, that's one more off the tories' books!
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This is wonderfull stuff. Honestly I admire your artistry.