There's more to life than books you know....

Random Banter
adam
First Secretary of State

There's more to life than books you know....

Post by adam »

... but not much more.

Some suggestions for required reading in the build up to May, or just more generally.

I kick things off by giving you the slightly-odd-at-first-glance suggestion of...

Our Future: Doctor Magnus Pyke Predicts

Partly because, published in 1980, it's quite good fun, but mainly because of a clear and fundamental understanding running through it all that, of course, if things do get better then the benefits will be shared amongst everyone and all will do well. There is a real absence of the thatcherite 'winners and losers' ethos. I don't know (and with the usual minimal research I can't find) anything much about his politics, although according to wikipedia he wrote a book in the early 60s called 'The Science Myth' which questioned the human cost of developing technologies and the organisation of western society around a very technological idea of progress, which is quite interesting.

You can buy his predictions book on Ebay for not very much.
I still believe in a town called Hope
51A
Committee Member

Re: There's more to life than books you know....

Post by 51A »

I would like to add to the list: To Kill a Mocking Bird. Solicitors don't go on strike often, but they did when the principle of representation in Court or at the the police station of anyone accused of a crime likely to result in the loss of liberty was withdrawn, as it now has been. This used to be the finest and fairest jurisdiction anyone could hope to live in. Not now. Why the heck are we celebrating Magna Carta in the very year it was just ripped up?!
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

adam wrote:... but not much more.

Some suggestions for required reading in the build up to May, or just more generally.

I kick things off by giving you the slightly-odd-at-first-glance suggestion of...

Our Future: Doctor Magnus Pyke Predicts

Partly because, published in 1980, it's quite good fun, but mainly because of a clear and fundamental understanding running through it all that, of course, if things do get better then the benefits will be shared amongst everyone and all will do well. There is a real absence of the thatcherite 'winners and losers' ethos. I don't know (and with the usual minimal research I can't find) anything much about his politics, although according to wikipedia he wrote a book in the early 60s called 'The Science Myth' which questioned the human cost of developing technologies and the organisation of western society around a very technological idea of progress, which is quite interesting.

You can buy his predictions book on Ebay for not very much.
Gosh, just found out that his 1970s series "Don't Ask Me" was a Yorkshire Television thing, I hope the rest of the world got to see it too. I was living in Yorkshire then, having been born there, you just take for granted when you're a kid that what's on your telly is on everyone's. Hope it was, it was a joy, as was he.

Re: Everyone benefitting: Tim Berners-Lee is now regretting his gift, because not all do. Sadly, mankind is often unkind. It troubles me why all the time.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Never in my life did I imagine I might see Magnus Pike riding the Earth while steering his own mechanical penis.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Magnus Pyke was, I am fairly sure, cited back in the 1980s as a Labour supporter.

And yes, I can just about remember Don't Ask Me - and of course the classic (Focus) theme tune (later revived in Saxondale)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Honestly as a current denizen of Yorkshire I take nothing for granted either.