Arbeit macht frei.

Random Banter
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Arbeit macht frei.

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I went out last night for a friend's birthday to a shit comedy club where you weren't allowed to heckle, we then went to a horrible trendy bar where I discovered one of his guests was an 'occupational therapist' working for Ingeus for the Work Programme.

She completely believed in the mantra that work makes you healthy in body and mind, she'd left the NHS to promulgate this perceived truth for more money in the private sector.

I seem to remember debating the merits of the WCA with her.

Then later being led away as she was crying and throwing slices of pizza at me.

A bit of Jalapeno got me right in the eye. It bloody hurt.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Re: Arbeit macht frei.

Post by LadyCentauria »

Oh dear - not quite the 'fun night out' you were hoping for, then...

You might like to send her a copy of this report as an 'apology for making her cry' - with particular attention to page 34 where it clearly states that,
Thus, the balance of the evidence is that work is generally good for health and well-being, not
only for healthy people, but also for many disabled people, for many people with common
health problems, and for many social security beneficiaries. However, that depends on the
nature and quality of the job, and the social context. These areas are beyond the scope of this
review and are reviewed comprehensively elsewhere (Acheson et al. 1998; Ritchie et al. 2005;
Marmot & Wilkinson 2006), but they are critical to placing the present analysis of work and
health in context.

Firstly, work is generally good for your health and well-being, provided you have ‘a good job’.
Good jobs are obviously better than bad jobs,but bad jobs might be either less beneficial or even
harmful.
It is then important to consider what constitutes a good job. Under UK and European
legislation, employers have a statutory duty to conduct suitable risk assessments to identify
hazards to health and safety, and to reduce the risks to employees as far as reasonably
practicable. But health and safety should be distinguished. As well as controlling risks, it is
equally important to make jobs accommodating of common health problems, sickness and
disability.A ‘healthy working life’goes even further: it is ‘one that continuously provides workingage
people with the opportunity, ability, support and encouragement to work in ways and in an
environment which allows them to sustain and improve their health and well-being’ (Scottish
Executive 2004). ‘Work should be comfortable when we are well and accommodating when we are
ill’ (Hadler 1997).
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... or-you.pdf

It cites the paper from which the original quote came - frequently misquoted - and in that paper the writer stresses "a good job is good for you" and that bad jobs can be positively bad for you. And, again, they're talking about the 'average' person (whatever that is!) I'm tempted to carry a copy of that report around with me - but I have a link to it on my 'phone, for 'emergencies' - so that I don't make anyone, or myself, cry ;)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:I went out last night for a friend's birthday to a shit comedy club where you weren't allowed to heckle, we then went to a horrible trendy bar where I discovered one of his guests was an 'occupational therapist' working for Ingeus for the Work Programme.

She completely believed in the mantra that work makes you healthy in body and mind, she'd left the NHS to promulgate this perceived truth for more money in the private sector.

I seem to remember debating the merits of the WCA with her.

Then later being led away as she was crying and throwing slices of pizza at me.

A bit of Jalapeno got me right in the eye. It bloody hurt.
Ouch!

Can imagine the irony if someone ended up unable to do some activity due to being physically assaulted by an occupational therapist.

Hope this doesn't offend you, but
It would make a great song.

I retold story to my better half,
she was suddenly struck by the similarity between the Work/health mantra & the message on the entrance to Nazi Concentration Camps, which she said translated to "work makes you free"
I googled it and found "Arbeit macht frei".
Then realised that was title you'd given the thread.

Doh!

Anyway, on a whim then decided to google "love will set you free", and then found a song by Kodaline, wasn't interested in that song, but had wanting to find what the bands name was , So thanks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted
Last edited by HindleA on Sun 14 Aug, 2016 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I tried to apologise because my friend is rightfully annoyed I pissed off one of his friends but she apparently isn't in the mood which is a shame because I'd love to debate this nonsense about work being better for everyone.

Any one size fits all theory is ideological bollocks.

I really felt guilty when she started crying. We were drunk and she tried to take the piss out of me. I of course acted with grace and decorum and feel shame about the whole afair.

Post by Guest »

Deleted