Redesign

Random Banter
51A
Committee Member

Redesign

Post by 51A »

I see we've had a redesign, not that I was here much before but it was useful to have a chat with people from somewhere else (not talking Martians, a publication). I gather I have to post some things before I can do that. I recognise some names so nice to see you all.

Most important things first as this is the Pub, where is the bar and the ladies' (as in loo, I am straight female - too much information already)?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Redesign

Post by yahyah »

Hello 51A :D

We moved to avoid the ads via the old hosting company, here we don't have them.

The bar can be wherever you like, so do join in as you want to.

I'll ask admin to start a thread for people to introduce themselves, and old members to give a quick biog - do you think that would help when people first post ?
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

So long as no-one thinks it's compulsory. Some may want to remain a little private. I will be honest, my first reason for re-registering was to swap contact details with a friend from the Graun and I had no intention of posting at all. But here I am and you can ask what you want and I'll decide what I answer. :)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I'm a bit nosy but won't pry other than to ask where you are located geographically ?
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

yahyah wrote:I'm a bit nosy but won't pry other than to ask where you are located geographically ?
Gosh sorry I took so long to answer, I have answered the same question elsewhere. I am located in South Wales in one of the most socio-economically challenged regions of our islands and where we are set to lose the most under the blasted (with the right accent that sounds quite like how I mean it to) tory "welfare reforms" - for which please read "hurt those least likely to vote for you or vote at all, most economically, educationally and socially challenged and deprived most because they don't have the wherewithal to hit you back" tory policy.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks for the reply. Let'sskiptotheleft leaves near Neath, maybe near you ?
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

yahyah wrote:Thanks for the reply. Let'sskiptotheleft leaves near Neath, maybe near you ?
About the same longitudinal region, Neath is a bit to the west of me. I live way up a hill with an uninterrupted view across the Channel to England - from Wales, note, not the continent. (My neighbours don't ever call it the Bristol Channel because on our side it's Newport, rivalries linger.)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

51A wrote:
yahyah wrote:Thanks for the reply. Let'sskiptotheleft leaves near Neath, maybe near you ?
About the same longitudinal region, Neath is a bit to the west of me. I live way up a hill with an uninterrupted view across the Channel to England - from Wales, note, not the continent. (My neighbours don't ever call it the Bristol Channel because on our side it's Newport, rivalries linger.)

We've lived in Wales for 7 years but have not ventured down South yet.
May have a weekend away down that end of things next spring, want to go to the Big Pit as well.
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

yahyah wrote:
51A wrote:

May have a weekend away down that end of things next spring, want to go to the Big Pit as well.
I'm on Big Pit's doorstep, everyone who visits me has to go down the mine, I love it. Did you know they mature cheese down there? It's on a mountain called the Blorenge so if you go up there (I go up every Wednesday - Blaenavon) you must see Keepers, the lake on the mountain, it's stunning. Let me know if you're coming this way, happy to give a guide of best things to see. :)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

51A wrote:
yahyah wrote:
51A wrote: About the same longitudinal region, Neath is a bit to the west of me. I live way up a hill with an uninterrupted view across the Channel to England - from Wales, note, not the continent. (My neighbours don't ever call it the Bristol Channel because on our side it's Newport, rivalries linger.)

I'm on Big Pit's doorstep, everyone who visits me has to go down the mine, I love it. Did you know they mature cheese down there? It's on a mountain called the Blorenge so if you go up there (I go up every Wednesday - Blaenavon) you must see Keepers, the lake on the mountain, it's stunning. Let me know if you're coming this way, happy to give a guide of best things to see. :)

Didn't know about the cheese !

& isn't there a heritage railway as well, that'd keep my old man happy.

Will ask you for a more detailed itinerary nearer the time.
We've not travelled away at all for the last few years as our old cat was so fragile and could get into scrapes when left in the house alone.
Now she's sadly gone we are free spirits again.
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

yahyah wrote:
51A wrote:
yahyah wrote:
Didn't know about the cheese !

& isn't there a heritage railway as well, that'd keep my old man happy.

Will ask you for a more detailed itinerary nearer the time.
We've not travelled away at all for the last few years as our old cat was so fragile and could get into scrapes when left in the house alone.
Now she's sadly gone we are free spirits again.
Hmm, "heritage railway" might be a little overstating it. However, an ancient locomotive has just been taken up there for renovation. It's where the BBC filmed "Coal House", pretty much the whole of Blaenavon is a world heritage site because coal and iron works still exist - not in a working way but the evidence of how it worked and how those who worked in it is still very much in evidence. Stack Square is a row of mining cottages built around the stack - the chimney used to smelt iron - furnished as they would be over the centuries/decades those industries thrived.

Can let you know some great pub/restaurants with accommodation around here too. Feel free to PM.

-- Edit! --

Lordy, seems I'm wrong re the heritage railway. Not sure where it is but will find out, I'm almost sure it must run from Big Pit and if it goes across the Blorenge it will be spectacular. I'll find out and let you know yahyah. Can't wait myself!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

No need to apologise :)