Christmas.

Random Banter
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Christmas.

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

My friend and I have bought a goose from Tesco. According to him you pour boiling water between the skin and the flesh to get rid of the fat. Sounds plausible but he's never cooked a goose either and is just going on shit his gran told him once.

I'm taking care of the gravy and stuffing.

A mate of mine once worked for a posh restaurant and told me how to make red wine gravy.

Dice an onion and let it simmer in whatever delicious fat you have to hand for about 10 minutes, basically until it goes clear and squidgy. Then chuck in 200 ml of red wine and 200 ml of stock (I use Tesco Everyday Value chicken) with whatever herbs or spices you may favour.

Then just leave it for about 20 minutes, ignore the weird giant bubbles that form, avoid the urge to just poke around in it with a wooden spoon, just leave it to reduce.

And that's pretty much it.

I'll tell you about stuffing in the next episode.

But I'm warning you now it's not as exciting.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Re: Christmas.

Post by Rebecca »

Hi Sky,hope you don't mind,but if you cook your goose(as it were)on a rack in the roasting pan,and pour the fat out during cooking,you will have some lovely goose fat to cook potatoes with.
Delia has some goose recipes online.
The thing about it being fatty is that you never have to worry about the meat drying out,so it is very easy to cook.Though not as much meat on it as you might think.
Hope you have a delicious christmas dinner.Sounds yummy.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sky, I'd like to be a fly on the wall when you and your friend are doing the cooking. :) ;)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

if you cook your goose(as it were)on a rack in the roasting pan,and pour the fat out during cooking,you will have some lovely goose fat to cook potatoes with.
Well indeed but my fool of a friend seems determined to get rid of as much of the fat as possible before roasting the bird because he thinks the flesh will be fatty if we don't get rid of what I want to roast everything in.

I suspect we may have to have a fight.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sky, I'd like to be a fly on the wall when you and your friend are doing the cooking.
Last Sunday I had people round.

I made Chicken and mushroom tagliatelle with a white wine, garlic and blue cheese sauce.

It went a bit wrong, I drunkenly poured more wine in than I should have so the sauce took about an hour longer to reduce than I originaly reckoned.

I had to dick about distracting everyone while checking out sauce consistency on a wooden spoon.

Everyone agreed afterwards that I'm was a suprisingly good cook.

Heh.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Goose is a right bugger to carve/hack,
(though might just be me)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Everything was marvelous, from the goose to my fucking awesome gravy.

I used the giblets. I boiled the fuckers to make stock. I felt like some fifties housewife.

It was the best Christmas dinner I've had in my life. Oh look there's my own horn...toot toot.

Seriously though I hope you all enjoyed the day in whatever peculiar manner makes you happy.

That's what's important.