Everything is turning to shit.

Random Banter
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Everything is turning to shit.

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

All the things I grew up with and was taught, tolerance, empathy, thinking the best of people, it's all going to shit.

Something must be done but I'm only one crazy man. I can smile at people and be as nice as I can possibly be to my fellow humans but mostly they seem to react with distrust as if I'm taking the piss. I don't know what gives people that idea.

Please join me in saving this world and all the beauties and wonders it contains.

Because once it's gone so are we all.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Everything is turning to shit.

Post by ohsocynical »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:All the things I grew up with and was taught, tolerance, empathy, thinking the best of people, it's all going to shit.

Something must be done but I'm only one crazy man. I can smile at people and be as nice as I can possibly be to my fellow humans but mostly they seem to react with distrust as if I'm taking the piss. I don't know what gives people that idea.

Please join me in saving this world and all the beauties and wonders it contains.

Because once it's gone so are we all.
Know the feeling Sky. Mr Ohso and I sometimes think we've lived too long.

The worry is that the young don't/won't know any better. It's the norm for them.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Count me in.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

It's so easy to think fuck it. And stop paying attention.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:It's so easy to think fuck it. And stop paying attention.
It is. It's tempting to shut the world out, although there are some wrongs I just can't get my head around or cope with. Animal cruelty does my head in.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Giving up in despair and disgust is exactly what they want people to do - all the more reason not to :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:It's so easy to think fuck it. And stop paying attention.
Take time to not pay attention to anything other than every breathe you take.
Do this in a place you like, private, safe and quiet.
You're not alone.
It's not just here but other places.
People wanting justice like we do work for fairness.

Make sure you've got time caring for yourself alone.
It makes you stronger.

I care for you.

xx
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

But it's so fucking difficult not to give up in despair and retreat into some kind of solipsistic cynicism.

Let's face it most of the people on this earth are poorly educated and in the grip of one or another of the major religions. The very idea of secular humanism saving the day and leading us into some kind of Star Trek post scarcity nirvana is currently a joke. We're more likely to regress into one of those half sci fi/half Sword and Sorcery novels from the Seventies.

We'll all be wearing chain mail mankini's while posing with cool looking laser weapons for book covers.

I'm serious, in all my (what year is it? shit, no way) 45 years apparently I've never seen the idiots on so strong a march. From Ukip to Trump they seem to be accumulating numbers at an unprecedented rate.

And then there's us to save the universe.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:But it's so fucking difficult not to give up in despair and retreat into some kind of solipsistic cynicism.

Let's face it most of the people on this earth are poorly educated and in the grip of one or another of the major religions. The very idea of secular humanism saving the day and leading us into some kind of Star Trek post scarcity nirvana is currently a joke. We're more likely to regress into one of those half sci fi/half Sword and Sorcery novels from the Seventies.

We'll all be wearing chain mail mankini's while posing with cool looking laser weapons for book covers.

I'm serious, in all my (what year is it? shit, no way) 45 years apparently I've never seen the idiots on so strong a march. From Ukip to Trump they seem to be accumulating numbers at an unprecedented rate.

I think UKIP and Trump might be diversionary symptoms. When people are frightened and feel powerless, one thing they do is look for something to save them. It won't work, they'll be taken advantage of if they turn their vulnerable selves over to something claiming to save them.

The love of my spouse and friends are what keep me alive. I know of nothing more powerful than that love.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:But it's so fucking difficult not to give up in despair and retreat into some kind of solipsistic cynicism.

I've no answers as such and sometimes the anger is so bad you want to tear your hair out ... What I and Mr Ohso try to do, being as we are so powerless in the grand scheme of things, is to try to be kind where we can.

My mum always used to say you should look for the good in people, but as I've grown older, I know there are some that don't have any. The best we can do is try not to waste precious time on them
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@Sky

Example. Our son's very rich employer is staying at a millionaires resort in Florida at the moment.

She has two homes in the UK. One in London and her country estate. Is married but she and her banker husband lead more or less separate lives. The main of the money is hers [Greek shipping] so she calls the shots.

She hasn't paid the staff employed directly by her at the two properties for weeks.
There are three lovely spaniels at the country house ... But she didn't even leave the money to feed them. The staff have been buying dog food out of their own money. Very few stick it for more than a few months.

When Mike went into work last Monday it was only by chance he discovered that two of the dogs who are in a compound and are supposed to be looked after by the house staff, had been left without water for the whole weekend. He's fixed them up with a large bowl dug into the ground so they can't tip it over and holds enough to last them for a couple of days. From now on he's going to do regular checks on them to make sure they're ok.
The other dog stays with the security men at night, and goes around with our son when he's working so he can keep an eye on her more easily.

The woman doesn't even recognise that she is neglectful. She lives in her rich bubble. No-one else exists outside it. Her children [in their twenties] appear to be turning out the same.

Our son can't do much about them. But he can make sure her animals are taken care of ... It's not much, but to the dogs it is...
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Your son should perhaps consider where best he himself is happy.

My mother was always an idiot when it came to finding out what made me tick.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Your son should perhaps consider where best he himself is happy.

My mother was the same with me.
The only thing as bad as inadequate mothering is a vicious dad - I had them both.
I've had a lot of therapy - someone I could trust for years - not like my own parents.
You'll likely not know a finer person than Ohso.
I love Ohso and her family - her son doesn't allow someone else's meanness destroy his own compassion - he'll likely do what he can to help what thoughtless people don't and make sure he cares for himself and family.

We'll have to find some peace, my friend, somewhere inside ourselves first - you don't want your life to be filled with shit - sometimes we're the only ones in the room feeling the same way. This too shall pass. You don't have to do it all on your own. Forgive me - I mean no offence or impertinence towards you. You've reached out. That's wise action. Don't stop reaching out and asking for what you need.

I've got to get a cup of tea now.

love,
cJA
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Your son should perhaps consider where best he himself is happy.

I did wonder if you would get what I was trying to say.

Oh I know what makes my son tick. And he does what he has to do. He has two grown children with special needs. His wife has unstable type 1 diabetes. He worries himself to death and works himself to a standstill to take care of them. That responsibility will never go away.
Unfortunately his job, which pays a wage that enables him to do that, means he has to have contact with unpleasant, uncaring people, but it doesn't mean he can ignore the damage they do to other people or their animals.

Happiness or the pursuit of it can't always put food on the table or keep a roof over our heads.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I see.

I still try to find or imagine the best in people.

But mostly I can't.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

People do seem to be idiots. Until you actually talk to them. Then they still seem to be idiots but at least they seem like nice people most of the time.

They don't want to be evil. Nobody does. But they can turn a blind eye as if by magic. As if it were a reflex.

Perhaps in future we could kill them off with some kind of virus.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:People do seem to be idiots. Until you actually talk to them. Then they still seem to be idiots but at least they seem like nice people most of the time.

They don't want to be evil. Nobody does. But they can turn a blind eye as if by magic. As if it were a reflex.

Perhaps in future we could kill them off with some kind of virus.
Life ends so quickly for everyone it's unnecessary to hasten the event.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Well everying seems to have picked up doesn't it? Iain Duncan Smith is gone and the Tories are in disarray.

Wonderful isn't it?

Let me just bask in this temporary glow of satisfaction before some other shit hits the fan.

That's better now where was I?

Yes this Crabb fellow. I've seen him on Question Time. He was a Tory bot. By which I mean he seemed to have no mind or personality of his own.

I suspect he may be worse.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

citizenJA wrote:Life ends so quickly for everyone it's unnecessary to hasten the event.
And that's the problem. We are short lived little creatures. Living on something big and old.

We're just messing about for a while. Before we eventually kill ourselves or become energy beings.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Life ends so quickly for everyone it's unnecessary to hasten the event.
And that's the problem. We are short lived little creatures. Living on something big and old.

We're just messing about for a while. Before we eventually kill ourselves or become energy beings.
:rock:
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

The problem is reality reverts back to normal no matter how hard you try.

I write stories and take drugs and drink to get away and it's still there when I look the next day.

It's not malleable like your brain. It's Spacetime.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

By that I mean no matter how hard you run away you still have to deal with reality.

But then what is reality?

The problem is when it comes to the DWP they don't take Descartes or String Theory as evidence.

There's no point trying to point out to your jobs advisor that maybe she's a demon of the imagination or that the last job you had was in an invisible dimension.

Reality is entirely pragmatic at the sharp end.

And after years of taking various drugs I can say with some personal certainty that there's nothing profound to be found in that direction either.

But they are fun.

I don't mean to sound defeatist but I've got a Classics degree, I know how the mob behaved in ancient Rome and how easy it was to manipulate them. Nothing's changed.

All of this has happened before and all of it will happen again.

(That's a Battlestar Galactica reference...the good new one, not the crappy old one).
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I really am a wanker.