Friday 5th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 5th September 2014

Post by ohsocynical »

55DegreesNorth wrote:I was going to post a reasoned reply, but costcentre2 just hoyed his school blazer over (two days usage) for me to repair. Fortunately, I did Home Ec at my comp back in the '70s, unlike Mrs55 who went to a posh school. She knows the difference between the pluperfect and preterite tenses, but can't sew for toffee.

:lol:

I had to regularly darn and patch the knees of my off-springs school trousers. When the material became too thin and frayed, I had to resort to gluing patches on. By the end of the school year, the trousers were capable of standing up on their own.

Happy days though,
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Bloody Charles Kennedy on Twitter saying it was all down to the the LibDems. I reminded him who'd enabled it in the first place. And I wasn't the only one. [I was polite though, because he doesn't come across as one of Cleggy's brown nosers ]
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

It's been pointed out that, as the school isn't ready, the parents might not have signed those strict behaviour contracts...

When Toby's school suspended a kid for having hair that was too short, she said "the parents accept the rules". Well hers probably haven't.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Has anyone any idea how the LibDems, who attended voted? Going to find an old saucepan and that can be used as a spittoon as I read the list.
The details are now up on Hansard. Most of the Lib Dems, including Beaker, voted for the Bill. Turning into a bit of a PR disaster for Wee Eck and the SNP because all the Scottish Labour MPs came south for the debate, and most SNP MPs stayed away; I suspect that one will be used over the next couple of weeks, whenever he claims to be working for the benefit of all.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publi ... nknown/17/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

From one of my pals.
Greg Ó Ceallaigh ‏@gregoceallaigh 9m
Manchester is now left with no Law Centres. Four years ago there were three.
Where's Henry Porter?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:From one of my pals.
Where's Henry Porter?
As far as I know, Bury and Rochdale ones are still open and I think South Manchester is as well (although maybe with restricted service) web sites are still up and running ?

http://www.lawcentres.org.uk/about-law- ... abetically" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Vince Cable ‏@vincecable 4h
Absolutely delighted that the bill from Lib Dem @AndrewGeorgeLD to fix the Tories' bedroom tax has passed thanks to Lib Dem and Labour MPs

Steve Webb takes the biscuit I would say,the chosen one that has repeatedly answered for the Government in previous debates as the BBC says "It meant Mr Webb was effectively voting against his own work and pensions department".Tory Angie Bray voted for the Bill and not an insignificant number didn't vote,both as a consequence of fear of losing seats and party indiscipline.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Anna Soubry show on AQ; allowed to talk over everyone else and for longer than anyone else when it's her turn. Dimbleby talking over people when she's not.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:From one of my pals.
Where's Henry Porter?
As far as I know, Bury and Rochdale ones are still open and I think South Manchester is as well (although maybe with restricted service) web sites are still up and running ?

http://www.lawcentres.org.uk/about-law- ... abetically" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg is a pretty serious face on the law front. But London based, so might have got it wrong.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Absolutely delighted that the bill from Lib Dem @AndrewGeorgeLD to fix the Tories' bedroom tax has passed thanks to Lib Dem and Labour MPs
Beyond belief
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Why does that make me want to scream 'pass the sick bag mother' at the top of my voice?
Working on the wild side.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good job we've lots of money sloshing around to spend on vanity schemes eh?

Government forced to rethink £1.2m three bed house bought for free school

http://academiesweek.co.uk/government-f ... ee-school/
A £1.2m “historic residence”, purchased for a new free school, may in fact not be used after the Education Funding Agency (EFA) agreed to consider alternative sites.

High Ridge in Caversham near Reading - was bought by the EFA in June for 350-place primary school The Heights, but fierce local opposition means the plan is being revisited.
:toss:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cameron's hardballing in Europe going well. Lord Hill looking like he's going to get one of the lesser roles.

Hill was lightweight enough to start with. Sending him in there on the back of a pointless diplomatic row was the icing on the cake.

John Major nominated Neil Kinnock, an excellent non-partisan choice. Cameron could have surely found a Labour Cabinet Minister of greater weight than Hill. Beyond Mr No More Punch and Judy.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Why does that make me want to scream 'pass the sick bag mother' at the top of my voice?
He's been getting a pasting on Twitter. 8-)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Snap PfY. The Lib Dem political dance of the seven veils for whoever they think will buy their nonsense is truly stomach churning.

As someone just said on Any Questions - do they really think we're going to forget the last four years?

And someone give Caroline Lucas an honour .... she's just put Anna Soubry bang to rights when Soubry complained Lucas was out of order and objectionable to say the Tories were a cruel and nasty party as she (darling Anna) really didn't come into parliament to be horrid and make cuts ... Caroline Lucas quick as she could said 'well you joined the wrong party then'. And the audience clapped loudly.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Good job we've lots of money sloshing around to spend on vanity schemes eh?

A £1.2m “historic residence”, purchased for a new free school, may in fact not be used after the Education Funding Agency (EFA) agreed to consider alternative sites.

High Ridge in Caversham near Reading - was bought by the EFA in June for 350-place primary school The Heights, but fierce local opposition means the plan is being revisited.
Think OhSo was on to that before.

You'd think it was a numbers game for the election or something.

I've put you both down for a Govey Free School Marginals Tour T-shirt.

What happened to Damian Thompson's "we want a school and it has to go in this old building which the council could sell for lots, provide a school and have money left?" That was in Reading too...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Italy flights cancelled due to strike
Ryanair and EasyJet cancelling flights on Saturday as disruption caused by strike by air traffic controllers in Italy

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... ir-easyjet

Hope this doesn't muck up Roger's holiday flight.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:Italy flights cancelled due to strike
Ryanair and EasyJet cancelling flights on Saturday as disruption caused by strike by air traffic controllers in Italy

:o

Might be OK as I don't fly out until 4:20 and land Palermo 8pm.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Retweeted by Toby Young
Harry Phibbs ‏@harryph 32m
So UKIP, the Lib Dems and Labour all oppose the #spareroomsubsidy cut - only the Conservatives can be trusted on welfare reform.
Oh don't you just love him ... or them?

Just heard the BBC News parrot the official nonsense in their report on the 'spare room subsidy which critics have labelled the bedroom tax'. No Beeb - everyone, even Tory ministers caught off their guard, refer to it as the bedroom tax. It's only idiots that persist with the spare room subsidy crap.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

Have a fantastic time. Well you will anyway won't you ... I adored Sicily ... and I went about as long ago as you did - but the memories persist.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Good job we've lots of money sloshing around to spend on vanity schemes eh?

What happened to Damian Thompson's "we want a school and it has to go in this old building which the council could sell for lots, provide a school and have money left?" That was in Reading too...
There is another Free Primary School just opened up in an old nursery. They are supposed to be getting a new school built, but I don't think it's got past the 'supposed' stage yet.

The daftest location was to put a Free School in the oldest part of the Royal Berkshire Hospital. Huge, huge repair costs, and not one inch of playground...That was finally dropped but not without a lot of screaming.

The world's gone mad.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

Fingers crossed then. :D
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Just been retweeting some Ohso Tweets ;-)

I reckon she's getting rather good at it! Ohso do you feel like doing some Tweeting from the Flythenest account?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

There is another Free Primary School just opened up in an old nursery. They are supposed to be getting a new school built, but I don't think it's got past the 'supposed' stage yet.

The daftest location was to put a Free School in the oldest part of the Royal Berkshire Hospital. Huge, huge repair costs, and not one inch of playground...That was finally dropped but not without a lot of screaming.

The world's gone mad.
Crike, I recall that. Never knew it was all in Reading. Couldn't have happened to more deserving MP, that nice Mr Wilson.

Primary free school applicants might be wishing Cameron hadn't agree to the Clegg free school meals plan, and all so they could do their marriage tax allowance.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Farage has been on Fox News.
Farage fears that the EU is so politically correct that it will actively stymie British efforts to fight the ISIS threat. He flatly predicts, for example, that Cameron’s recently announced get-tough policy on Islamic radicalism will be invalidated by the European Convention on Human Rights.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Safe in their hands.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5,000 A&E patients waited over 4 hours in worst week for nearly 18 months
After 59 consecutive weeks of failure to meet targets, there are serious concerns for emergency departments' ability to cope
Blah, blah, Wales, blah, GP's contract, blah open door immigration.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Didn't even know Mark Serwotka was ill?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... i-was-dead" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I suggested a while ago that they might deliberately fail to sort out stuff that could be linked with immigration. Sadly, the failure on net immigration has probably undone Lynton's brilliant strategy.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Finally found Anatoly's round-up, amongst all the pro/anti Russian posts:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Away from NATO deliberations, three local council by-elections yesterday:

Oxford DC - Labour hold, though this was notable for a staggeringly low turnout of just eight and a half percent - which comes from a vacancy in an overwhelmingly student ward being filled deep into the summer break. Labour have only previously won this ward since its 2002 inception in 2010 (it initially split 1Green/1LibDem 12 years ago, followed by LibDem wins in 2004 2008 & 2010 and Green wins in 2006 and earlier this year - plus a 2004 by-election) and have often trailed in third or even fourth (Tories a good second in 2008) so they will be pleased with this result regardless, with a swing of around 15% from the Greens - whose share halved - since May. LibDems also up significantly to retake second spot, but the Tories collapsed from over 20% to just 6% - and were tied for last by UKIP in their first ever showing here.

Shepway DC - UKIP gain from Tory with a swing of over 20% in their first ever showing at this level (though they did win the Kent CC seat covering this area last year, so not a complete surprise) Their winning score of 28% reveals a highly fragmented contest, with the Tories almost caught by the LibDems who advanced slightly here on 2011 (after they had won one of the two seats here in 2003 - narrowly beating the Tories overall - and just missed out in a straight fight with them in 2007, before slumping behind Labour last time and almost being caught by an Indy) and just beat Labour, who will be disappointed to see their share well down after coming a good second last time. Greens scored over 9% in their first try here, TUSC their usual last with under 3%.

Surrey Heath DC - Labour hold one of their very few reliable wards in this county in recent years - returning two councillors by modest margins in 2003 and (even closer) 2007, before becoming more comfortable last time - though they saw their share drop as UKIP more than doubled their score (they have a longer electoral history here than many places, having stood both in 2011 and 2007) and finished not far behind the Tories, who were also slightly down. This was one of a handful of councils that remained majority Tory even in the "annus horribilis" of 1995 (and before that had been 100% blue for a period in the 1980s) but in recent years there has remained a definite opposition presence in what is now Gove's backyard. Nice to see ;)

Six contests next week.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Weasels quite a good description here..

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/09/l ... droom-tax/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Brooks Newmark MP ✔ @TweetBrooks
Follow
To clarify my answer at #pplhelpingppl Q&A - charities absolutely have right to campaign but should stay out of "realm of 'party' politics"
Because campaigning could never have anything to do with party politics.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Didn't even know Mark Serwotka was ill?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... i-was-dead" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What a tough bloke to go through all that and still be up for doing his job and standing for another election.

Also amazed at how respectful and decent BTL is - for now anyway.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Didn't even know Mark Serwotka was ill?

What a tough bloke to go through all that and still be up for doing his job and standing for another election.

Also amazed at how respectful and decent BTL is - for now anyway.
Shocking isn't it, I honestly had no idea, I googled him a few months 'cos he had gone so quiet, now I know why.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Very interesting to see how the Bedroom Tax vote is playing out in Scotland. The SNP are being labelled as hypocrites for not even sending their MPs to the vote.

And that just after Miliband was there with his fairer together message. Interesting….
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Is Clegg now in a party of one? The Clegg.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Welfare claimants to get attitude tests, employment minister reveals
New interviews will see whether benefits claimants are psychologically prepared to work, Esther McVey reveals

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... veals.html

OMG. Black hearted McVey strikes again.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Welfare claimants to get attitude tests, employment minister reveals
New interviews will see whether benefits claimants are psychologically prepared to work, Esther McVey reveals

She's unbelievable. According to her it's Labour's pessimism about job opportunities that stop a lot of people applying for the plentiful, well paid jobs on offer to them ....
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Welfare claimants to get attitude tests, employment minister reveals

She's unbelievable. According to her it's Labour's pessimism about job opportunities that stop a lot of people applying for the plentiful, well paid jobs on offer to them ....
I imagine she "believes" that. Ask IDS, it's part of the job description.
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Even by the Guardian's recent standards, this is totally fucking pathetic.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ong-equals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Well, she'll be able to find out for herself next May ....... :D
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.