Wednesday, 23rd August 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Re: Wednesday, 23rd August 2017

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Hugo

want to apologise for calling Corbyn a liar re: traingate?
Quite clearly there are unreserved seats in that pic (though not many). Even clearer in second picture here

https://www.buzzfeed.com/marieleconte/v" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... vpN9BnmVE6

If only there were in fact trains that we could guarantee would be full for this stunt.

(Like any train out of London around 6pm on a weekday).

i you are going to lie, don't get caught.

[Oh, and the cctv footage on Virgin's website is time stamped.
Last edited by howsillyofme1 on Wed 23 Aug, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It wasn't Corbyn at all,it was a stand in.Tsk
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

All TV channels broadcast propaganda to a greater or lesser extent
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

All housing estates have a stray child and a discarded trolley in front of them,all old people have wrinkly hands,indeed the same wrinkly hands they just pass them about etc.
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 23 Aug, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

BBC and Raymond Baxter came to the RAF station my dad worked at,the later showing was full of incorrect information etc.Check as much as you can,read widely be aware of source,be aware of own bias etc.WE can all the see exactly the same thing and interpretate totally differently.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Above all ,ignore the above
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@howsillyofme1
I wholeheartedly agree with you
I re-read my post and wanted to confirm I meant it sincerely, I wasn't being snarky
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

citizenJA wrote:@howsillyofme1
I wholeheartedly agree with you
I re-read my post and wanted to confirm I meant it sincerely, I wasn't being snarky
I know you weren't :)

Not in your nature.....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Above all ,ignore the above
:rock:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

As an example that graphic/head motion could be interpretated differently

Titter ye not
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I put this up before, but it's a goody. From The Telegraph, before the election.
27 MAY 2017 • 7:08PM
The pound is in for “a rough ride” if the Conservatives lose the general election, currency traders and analysts believe, after a number of strong polls for Labour sent the currency into a tumble late last week.

Sterling could fall by another 5pc on a Labour victory, forcing the currency down to $1.20 against the dollar. The pound has not been below this level for a prolonged period at any time since the 1980s.

Against the euro the pound could fall to as low as €1.08 to $1.09, a level not seen since the depths of the financial crisis.
It's €1.08 now.
(cJA edit & colour)

Telegraph all frantic now, right? No?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

When all else fails, use the rocker dude emoticon
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Not surprising that Neil is taking it a bit easier given his age. I admit I've always had a soft spot for him despite his obvious political leanings.
Yeah, he does his homework, doesn't like anybody bullshitting him. He's got a few silly prejudices that spoil it, but he's been the best interviewer for a while now.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Not surprising that Neil is taking it a bit easier given his age. I admit I've always had a soft spot for him despite his obvious political leanings.
Yeah, he does his homework, doesn't like anybody bullshitting him. He's got a few silly prejudices that spoil it, but he's been the best interviewer for a while now.
agree
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

the EU nationals getting sent deportation notifications news article linked earlier

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -nationals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theresa May called it, 'an unfortunate error'
I've so little confidence in Tory government, absolutely awful, amateur, rude and unprofessional
Labour's responses good, reading the article
Also, I'd not realised May was back from her European holidays
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Let's all imagine how we'd feel coming home, family gathers after a day participating in society and receiving a deportation notice
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Wow. Has Theresa May turned up at Redcar Steelworks for a photo op, and not told Anna Turley?
Indeed. I'm no fan of Turley but she's the local mp and that's it.
That new Tees Valley Tory mayor is a right wally.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

gilsey wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Wow. Has Theresa May turned up at Redcar Steelworks for a photo op, and not told Anna Turley?
He is. Going on about Turley being from Kent, when the point she was making was that a post should be in the North East instead of London, not that the person doing it had to be from the North East.

As somebody from the SW, I've always had the impression the Tories from the North were particularly idiotic like Harry Enfield's Yorkshireman. This bloke looks like a candidate.

We had a better sort of Tory MP where I came from. Apart from Nicholas Ridley in the next door seat, obviously.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

On the plus side, an idiot metro mayor in the Tees Valley could be a big problem for the Tories. Johnson, by the end, was a problem for them in London. Of course, London is more able to survive a dreadful mayor than other areas.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Wed 23 Aug, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:the EU nationals getting sent deportation notifications news article linked earlier

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -nationals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theresa May called it, 'an unfortunate error'
I've so little confidence in Tory government, absolutely awful, amateur, rude and unprofessional
Labour's responses good, reading the article
Also, I'd not realised May was back from her European holidays
Yes - she's been back a few days, now (but she's already used well over her quota of "clearlies").

Postcards usually arrive some time after the sender's return, so I expect yours will arrive in due course.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The poor folk who used to have Nicholas Ridley now have this charmer as their MP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a very pleasant constituency otherwise.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
gilsey wrote:
He is. Going on about Turley being from Kent, when the point she was making was that a post should be in the North East instead of London, not that the person doing it had to be from the North East.

As somebody from the SW, I've always had the impression the Tories from the North were particularly idiotic like Harry Enfield's Yorkshireman. This bloke looks like a candidate.

We had a better sort of Tory MP where I came from. Apart from Nicholas Ridley in the next door seat, obviously.
Eric Pickles? (Although his seat wasn't in the north of England, I realise.)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Robertson endorsed Townend's controversial remarks about race[5] on BBC's Newsnight saying that Townend's remarks were "basically true" and "having too many people in different multi-racial groups makes society very difficult to manage, especially in certain parts of the country. It is not that easy to manage that kind of society."
Bar stool erudition. "People in different multi-racial groups"? "Certain parts of the country".

London schools seem to manage OK.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PorFavor wrote: Eric Pickles? (Although his seat wasn't in the north of England, I realise.)
Essex doesn't usually need to import "straight talking rightwingers". You can tell from the fact they wanted to import Pickles that he's something special.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:The poor folk who used to have Nicholas Ridley now have this charmer as their MP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Actually, most of them have Geoffrey Clifton-Brown - a bit of an old buffer but not in the Ridley/Robertson league really.

My childhood abode is also in the present day Tewkesbury seat, but was part of Gloucestershire W back then.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:---
Yes - she's been back a few days, now (but she's already used well over her quota of "clearlies").

Postcards usually arrive some time after the sender's return, so I expect yours will arrive in due course.
:lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:The poor folk who used to have Nicholas Ridley now have this charmer as their MP.

Actually, most of them have Geoffrey Clifton-Brown - a bit of an old buffer but not in the Ridley/Robertson league really.

My childhood abode is also in the present day Tewkesbury seat, but was part of Gloucestershire W back then.
Somewhere round Churchdown area? I'm from Cheltenham.

Clifton-Brown's a reasonably standard farmer/landowner type, there are many worse. I don't like the look of Cheltenham MP, Alex Chalk, because he's ex-Hammersmith and Fulham Council. Neil Carmichael in Stroud was one of the better ones, but lost in 2017.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Talking of Churchdown, I don't know it well, but I'm surprised there's not more talk of reopening its station. The line is open, must be a lot of people who go from there to Gloucester in the morning.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

This just popped up in the local news (yes, I know I don't live in Scotland, but they actually live in Bath). One of those 'can't comment on as case ongoing' things, but I thought I'd link in case anyone is interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-41009988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The pro-independence blogger behind the Wings Over Scotland website has been arrested for alleged online harassment.
Stuart Campbell was arrested in the west of England on Friday following a complaint from a woman in south London.
She had made allegations of harassment taking place over a two-year period.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... dia-divide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grenfell proved it: the British media are part of a disconnected elite
Jon Snow
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:On the plus side, an idiot metro mayor in the Tees Valley could be a big problem for the Tories. Johnson, by the end, was a problem for them in London. Of course, London is more able to survive a dreadful mayor than other areas.
Of course they might have found a slightly better candidate if they'd thought he'd win.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Willow904 wrote:This just popped up in the local news (yes, I know I don't live in Scotland, but they actually live in Bath). One of those 'can't comment on as case ongoing' things, but I thought I'd link in case anyone is interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-41009988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The pro-independence blogger behind the Wings Over Scotland website has been arrested for alleged online harassment.
Stuart Campbell was arrested in the west of England on Friday following a complaint from a woman in south London.
She had made allegations of harassment taking place over a two-year period.
Cheers.

He's a "Hillsborough truther" and very dishonest presenter of economic data on Scotland. He's been crowd sourcing suing Kezia Dugdale who called him a homophobe. I'm not aware he is, but he did make some unpleasant remarks about trans. Not that I know anything about libel, but I wonder how that might play out if it went to trial.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ship-paper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Policy paper
Enforcement and dispute resolution - a future partnership paper
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Deportation letters don't get written or sent accidentally
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:Deportation letters don't get written or sent accidentally
Maybe by this government?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Unfortunately this goon kept his seat. Not that I wanted another Tory MP, but I'd have traded him for Angus Robertson, for sure.
Pete Wishart‏Verified account
@PeteWishart
Follow
More
All day there will be an almost pointless debate about an indy Scotland based on figures which partly show how Sco's doing as part of the UK
2:28 am - 23 Aug 2017
"Partly", eh?

This was what he said when higher oil prices meant Scotland were doing better than rUK:

If you don't follow this sort of nonsense regularly, you might think that how Scotland was doing as part of the UK was pretty important in your decision whether independence was a good idea. Not in Nat-land, sadly. He's being reasonably restrained there. Usually his ilk say it would tell us "nothing" about independence.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Talking of Churchdown, I don't know it well, but I'm surprised there's not more talk of reopening its station. The line is open, must be a lot of people who go from there to Gloucester in the morning.
Yes, I spent my early years in Churchdown - moved up north as a teenager in 1980. My late (maternal) grandparents lived in nearby Brockworth.

I vaguely remember hearing that there was quite a lot of opposition to closing the station in the first place, of course Ashchurch (a bit to the north) reopened in the 1990s.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Believe it or not, some MPs are capable of talking more nonsense than Wishart.
Deidre Brock‏Verified account
@DeidreBrock
Interesting to see #GERS figures include nearly £8bn in Housing Benefit and Social Security - the cost of Westminster's economic failure
Housing is devolved, so if they want to get that down by building more social housing, they can.

And you read that right- "Social Security" is bad.

If Scotland outperforms rUK, that means it should leave and become richer. If it underperforms rUK, that means it should leave because Westminster economic failure.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Talking of Churchdown, I don't know it well, but I'm surprised there's not more talk of reopening its station. The line is open, must be a lot of people who go from there to Gloucester in the morning.
Yes, I spent my early years in Churchdown - moved up north as a teenager in 1980. My late (maternal) grandparents lived in nearby Brockworth.

I vaguely remember hearing that there was quite a lot of opposition to closing the station in the first place, of course Ashchurch (a bit to the north) reopened in the 1990s.
Small world. My cousin used to live in Brockworth.

I've used Ashchurch a few times, bit too far from Tewkesbury to be really useful, and not all that many trains. But I'm sure Laurence Robertson is making the case for public transport all the time. Bishops Cleeve isn't far from the mainline either, and massively expanded.

I know I'm always complaining about people doing simplistic rail stuff. There's probably a very good reason they can't put stops in at more places like this on the mainline. But I'll keep crayoning my fantasy stations.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

:-o

I have family in Churchdown. Sadly recently one less :-(
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Sorry to hear that.

Have some family at Innsworth next door, I've remembered. And years ago at Down Hatherley.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I have had some wonderful dreams recently about family departures where they are sitting observing us by TV screens,they can send signals in a restricted way,I have to report regularly where I am given instructions but mostly told off.Salient point is they are o.k.and keeping an eye.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Reading about Innsworth led me on to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimpey_no-fines_house" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheltenham seems to have been the top place in the country for this not particularly appetizing social housing, unless that just reflects where the wiki page author knows. But it sure looked awful. I assumed social housing everywhere looked like this until I moved to London and saw the LCC estates. Even in the Major-early Blair heyday of run down publicly owned housing, they looked much better.

In fairness, I think Cheltenham might have done some renovation since then too.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Wed 23 Aug, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

(Because I am almost invariably wrong).Burnley to stay up,Leeds not to get anywhere near promotion)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Our estate was Scandanavian style Barrett built,I'll have you know. ;)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:(Because I am almost invariably wrong).Burnley to stay up,Leeds not to get anywhere near promotion)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Though regularly flypasts by Patrick Allen in his helicopter was a bit of a pain.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
HindleA wrote:(Because I am almost invariably wrong).Burnley to stay up,Leeds not to get anywhere near promotion)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 01.01.19.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 01.01.19.png (45.48 KiB) Viewed 10038 times
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Sorry to anyone who momentarily got al photo from my holidays rather than the league tables (now corrected) ;-)