Saturday 26th, Sunday 27th & Monday 28th August 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 26th, Sunday 27th & Monday 28th August 2017

Post by Willow904 »

Morning.

I was pretty pleased to read Starmer's article on a clearer Brexit position. We need realism in this debate. Even those who support a hard Brexit need to accept the Tory approach is not feasible. We have barely over a year to establish what happens in March 2019. The Tories simply can't achieve what they are saying.

Adam above does touch on something that has been bothering me though. Corbyn has been openly positioning as wishing to bring down the government throughout the summer. This is going to make it far more difficult to work with Tory Europhile rebels when trying to amend the Repeal Bill.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

There are no Tory Europhile rebels, apart from perhaps Clarke and one or two others, and there are enough Labour Brexiteers to outnumber them in all likelihood

Don't depend on these mythical beasts

...and anyway Brexit is not the only shambles they are presiding over

Get rid of this bunch one incompetents as soon as possible and Labour should be fighting for this every day
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:There are no Tory Europhile rebels, apart from perhaps Clarke and one or two others, and there are enough Labour Brexiteers to outnumber them in all likelihood

Get rid of this bunch one incompetents as soon as possible and Labour should be fighting for this every day
How, though? If there are no rebels, as you say, there is no way to win a vote of no confidence. Winning an amendment or, much more likely, putting May in a position where she has to take soft Brexit views into account to avoid the opposition winning on an amendment, seems more possible to me. But it does involve working with cross party aligned interests, admittedly not attractive. But even if it were possible to force another election, Brexit isn't going to magically disappear, it's going to carry on happening, with no one at the helm, again not very attractive.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Willow904 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:There are no Tory Europhile rebels, apart from perhaps Clarke and one or two others, and there are enough Labour Brexiteers to outnumber them in all likelihood

How, though? If there are no rebels, as you say, there is no way to win a vote of no confidence. Winning an amendment or, much more likely, putting May in a position where she has to take soft Brexit views into account to avoid the opposition winning on an amendment, seems more possible to me. But it does involve working with cross party aligned interests, admittedly not attractive. But even if it were possible to force another election, Brexit isn't going to magically disappear, it's going to carry on happening, with no one at the helm, again not very attractive.

That is a question for the Tory rebels rather than Labour....how much will they put country over party if they feel that strongly?

The European votes are not confidence votes so they should vote on conscience - I bet you Hoey will vote against the whip on Europe if it is pro-EU

Before June Corbyn was rubbish because he didn't put any pressure on the Tories because he was unelectable and not he is rubbish because he is putting pressure on the Tories because he is electable

The EU votes are separate from bringing down the Tory Government - the former will allow us to work with the Tories, the latter is something any self-respecting labour MP should be fighting for everyday
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

That is a question for the Tory rebels rather than Labour....how much will they put country over party if they feel that strongly?

The European votes are not confidence votes so they should vote on conscience - I bet you Hoey will vote against the whip on Europe if it is pro-EU

Before June Corbyn was rubbish because he didn't put any pressure on the Tories because he was unelectable and not he is rubbish because he is putting pressure on the Tories because he is electable

The EU votes are separate from bringing down the Tory Government - the former will allow us to work with the Tories, the latter is something any self-respecting labour MP should be fighting for everyday
The clock is ticking on Brexit, and Starmer's article today is a welcome response to that and a clear sign that Labour are moving on from the electorally friendly fudge of sitting on the fence on Brexit, to moving to a clear position from which to attack the Tories' unfeasible one, so I'm pretty happy. Just think talk of 'bringing the government down' may drum up false hope (unless someone can see a likely way that could happen that I'm not seeing) which sits uncomfortably with working alongside Tories to try to amend the repeal bill. It's only a minor worry, though, an aside if you like. I'm not saying Corbyn is rubbish because he is putting electoral pressure on the Tories, just wondering how great that pressure currently is. I.e. how likely is another election before March 2019? That's the discussion I have been trying to have, as in order to respond positively to the message Corbyn is sending on 'bringing the government down' I need to understand how that might happen.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

There have been claims that the likes of Soubry and Allen haven't actually rebelled on Brexit "because Corbyn agrees with May on hard Brexit so there isn't any point".

Well, their bluff has rather been called now hasn't it?
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Sun 27 Aug, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There have been claims that the likes of Soubry and Allen haven't actually rebelled on Brexit "because Corbyn agrees with May on hard Brexit so there isn't any point".

Well, their bluff has rather been called now isn't it?
Yes. I think the clarification from Starmer was a vital move if there is any hope of forcing May into a softer Brexit. Whether there is any hope is unknowable, only the potential rebels know that. I also expect the pressure to be applied before any votes, so we may not see any government defeats, as such, but I'm hopeful the Europhile's hand has been strengthened by this. It's what I've wanted to see from Labour, so as I said above, I very much welcome this development.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://deadstate.org/guy-who-says-god-s ... -disaster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I like Labour unity, good work
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Labour’s soft Brexit ‘solution’ would make reality of the Brexiters’ lies
While we currently have the opportunity to veto many EU-wide decisions – a disproportionate power that we have wielded gleefully, much to the chagrin of our European partners – as a member of the EEA, like Norway, we would be beholden to the EU’s policymakers in much the way Nigel Farage always told us we were.
The article is a very good take on a lot of my concerns.
I still believe in a town called Hope
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

'I don't recognise my country anymore': British citizens leaving UK because of Brexit amid exodus of Europeans
More than 100,000 Brits have already emigrated for a variety of reasons since the EU referendum
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 14606.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 15081.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lifelong Tory Matthew Parris says he would consider voting Labour following 'dramatic' Brexit shift
The commentator called Labour's decision to back the single market and customs union 'brave'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 15081.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lifelong Tory Matthew Parris says he would consider voting Labour following 'dramatic' Brexit shift
The commentator called Labour's decision to back the single market and customs union 'brave'

Brave brave? Or Sir Humphrey brave?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:Labour’s soft Brexit ‘solution’ would make reality of the Brexiters’ lies
While we currently have the opportunity to veto many EU-wide decisions – a disproportionate power that we have wielded gleefully, much to the chagrin of our European partners – as a member of the EEA, like Norway, we would be beholden to the EU’s policymakers in much the way Nigel Farage always told us we were.
From the article
Crashing out at least offers the distant prospect, even after a period of pain and adjustment, of a better, future.
Preserving our fragile economy is of course important, but if we just maintain the status quo while also turning the EU into an actual – rather than an imagined – bogeyman, we’re storing up big problems for the decades to come. In short: there’s nothing soft about this soft Brexit.
How won't these 'bogeyman' realities happen with the UK crashing out of the EU?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:From the article
Crashing out at least offers the distant prospect, even after a period of pain and adjustment, of a better, future.
I don't agree with that bit :) It's not utterly impossible but it's very difficult to see.
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Just to remind everybody again, just in case ( :) ) Labour are not in power.

If this is really about pushing *the Tories* into a "soft Brexit" position, that is smart politics in several respects.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:Labour’s soft Brexit ‘solution’ would make reality of the Brexiters’ lies
Of course a Norway type option is inferior to being in the EU, but we've given notification of our intention to leave so it's very hard to see how remaining in the EU is an option now. The article acknowledges that remaining in the single market is better than leaving it and as such I'm therefore glad to see Labour moving from supporting the latter (as clearly stated by Corbyn a fees weeks ago) to a position that may eventually lead to supporting the former. Preferring a soft Brexit to a hard Brexit if and when we leave, doesn't preclude supporting staying in the EU if that ever becomes an option, as far as I can see. And while some seem to believe insisting it has to be a hard Brexit will somehow make people think twice and not want to leave at all, this seems a dangerous strategy to me, which will undermine attempts to build consensus for soft Brexit with no guarantee of a way being found to stop Brexit, even if it becomes apparent that's what people want.

So I'm happy with Labour's new position. I think it more feasible than the Tory position and in the best interests of the country even if it doesn't tick the boxes of leave voters, because the best interests of the country and populist sentiment don't always align. Norway have lived with this compromise for many years because populist sentiment stops their politicians from doing what they know makes more sense, which is join the EU proper. Yet they make the best of it and we can too. We have to, because we've triggered article 50 and are on our way out, with no time to do anything better. The only real problem with Labour's position is they aren't in a position to implement it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Willow904
Your thoughts above echo my own
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Norway is not a model that will work for us. It will have to be a bespoke one

Norway are not in CU and are in Schengen
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Norway is not a model that will work for us. It will have to be a bespoke one

Norway are not in CU and are in Schengen
A Norway type option. As in abiding by the rules but no say in them. The discussion was prompted by Starmer's article, where he talks about negotiating a transition period with the UK retaining similar relationships as now, so retaining CU but no Schengen. Which to me is a Norway "type" option rather than the hard Brexit option being championed by May. If I meant the exact Norway arrangement, I wouldn't have said Norway type. I'm careful with my choice of words in order to try to avoid these misunderstandings, to no avail, it seems.

As an aside, you offer no reasons as to why Norway's precise relationship "wouldn't work for us"? Economically I feel it would work well enough, so I assume you are meaning it wouldn't be popular? If you look at my comment above, you will see that I acknowledge that there is a gap between what might be in a nation's best interests and popular sentiment and that there needs to be compromise between the two.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... hours-hmrc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tens of thousands of parents are still waiting to find out if they can take up a government offer of 30 hours’ free childcare days before the scheme is due to be launched.

According to the latest figures, revealed in a letter sent by the Department for Education to local authorities and seen by the Observer, 82,000 parents entitled to the extra childcare have not yet secured a place for their three and four-year-olds
That seems like a pretty big shortfall to me. Theresa May doing her best to make David Cameron look halfway competent.
The worst thing about this is a lot of smaller private nurseries may just quit the sector leaving even those people willing and able to pay without any nursery places to choose from and local council nurseries thus under even more pressure and possibly having to turn a lot of children away.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I have no problem with the Norway approach....but would Schengen be acceptable to the electorate and is the CU important as most pro EU supporters talk of that in the same breathe as the SM)

Personally I think Norway-type agreement means absolutely nothing because of the above - the only part we would want is a similar participation with the SM (and Norway doesnt cover agriculture or fisheries either)

The reality is our agreement will be a bespoke UK agreement and I find the continual referral to Norway (and Switzerland) unhelpful
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:I have no problem with the Norway approach....but would Schengen be acceptable to the electorate and is the CU important as most pro EU supporters talk of that in the same breathe as the SM)

Personally I think Norway-type agreement means absolutely nothing because of the above - the only part we would want is a similar participation with the SM (and Norway doesnt cover agriculture or fisheries either)

The reality is our agreement will be a bespoke UK agreement and I find the continual referral to Norway (and Switzerland) unhelpful
I'm not aware the EU have indicated Schengen is non-negotiable in the way they have indicated the four freedoms are non-negotiable so I'm not sure why you feel this would have to be accepted as part of a "soft Brexit" deal. We aren't in Schengen currently, so why would we want/have to join?

The reason the CU is important is because of the Irish border situation. Leaving the CU makes solving the Irish border problem in a way that is satisfactory to all parties far more difficult.

As for my use of "Norway type option" as shorthand for abiding by the rules of the club/clubs without having a say in them, I'm sorry it's irksome to you, but the shorthand of "bespoke deal" is irksome to me because of it's similarity to the kind of unrealistic "have your cake and eat it" language being batted around by hard Brexiters seeking to suggest we can enjoy all the benefits of single market membership without any of the drawbacks.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I think from now on I'll just refer to the "Starmer option". If we have to leave the EU (and as things stand currently, I think we do) I would prefer the Starmer option, not just transitionally, but permanently. I can't really be any clearer than that ;)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ocally-yes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Should the rich be taxed more? A new paper shows unequivocally yes
Larry Elliott
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Using a statistical model we can examine the relationship between the perceived likelihood of Labour winning a majority and support for the Labour party over the campaign, controlling for other factors that might predict Labour support.

So does our analysis support the argument that people voted for Labour because they thought Labour would win? In fact, it suggests the opposite. As the graph below shows, the more likely someone thought Labour was to win a majority, the more likely they were to vote Labour.

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes ... aL72dSQxQI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can someone read this carefully and explain what it means to me, please? I don't think it makes sense but my eyes and thinking might be tired this afternoon.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/kei ... 15626.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He has adroitly repositioned Labour to stifle a Lib Dem resurgence, saddle May with the sole custody of the hard Brexit problem child she’d rather share, and prepare Labour for the day it follows its head and its heart by fighting to remain.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour's Jess Phillips received '600 rape and death threats in a single day'
There was nothing in common with those threatening her online other than them being men, said the MP for Birmingham Yardley
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@cja They've missed a "not" out in the first sentence,in your last paragraph.Further on

"Although undoubtedly there were some people who voted Labour because they thought they could not win the election, the evidence is very clear that this was not true in general. Indeed the opposite is the case – the more likely people thought Labour’s chances of winning the election were, the more likely they were to vote for them"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:@cja They've missed a "not" out in the first sentence,in your last paragraph.Further on

"Although undoubtedly there were some people who voted Labour because they thought they could not win the election, the evidence is very clear that this was not true in general. Indeed the opposite is the case – the more likely people thought Labour’s chances of winning the election were, the more likely they were to vote for them"
Thank you
For some reason it bothers the hell out of me
Probably because I think the hypothesis obnoxious bull****
'people voted Labour because they thought Labour wouldn't win'
break logic much
what's the stupid mistake still doing in there
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

You can analyse these things to death.I don't like/trust people with ginger hair was not an uncommon reason in '92 for not voting Labour.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
HindleA wrote:@cja They've missed a "not" out in the first sentence,in your last paragraph.Further on

Thank you
For some reason it bothers the hell out of me
Probably because I think the hypothesis obnoxious bull****
'people voted Labour because they thought Labour wouldn't win'
break logic much
what's the stupid mistake still doing in there
It's always more likely the other way round, isn't it? If people think Labour can't win, why not vote Green or Plaid or whatever you feel more aligned to, as it doesn't make a difference. Labour looking like they were closing the gap surely attracted some tactical anti-Tory votes precisely because they looked like they could do it (and be a genuine alternative). One area where the spin about Jeremy Corbyn being unelectable might have had an impact could have been on Tories who thought the election was in the bag so didn't bother turning out, but I'm not aware of that being reported as much of a factor.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm sorry for my caustic reply
Inclement weather traditionally? generally? meant a better election result for Tories
If convinced the party favoured will win, less likelihood of putting shoes back on and going out to vote
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 15541.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A million skilled workers plan to leave the UK after Brexit
A staggering 55 per cent of those with PhDs and 49 per cent of those with postgraduate degrees have either decided to leave or are considering it
Experts. Who needs 'em.
Brits. Taking back control.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

“Against this backdrop we expect to see increased competition for talent between employers over the coming years, and numerous firms seeking to supplement their workforce with AI, robotics and automation.”
Another disaster on our collective horizon.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Just read some comments on a Guardian article - something (post FTN) I hardly ever do.
Won't be doing it again.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]ZMycFu4esas[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Just read some comments on a Guardian article - something (post FTN) I hardly ever do.
Won't be doing it again.
some threads are worse than others
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I think some posts are written by angry young teens, children
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The fact of the matter is that this government is so unstable that anything could happen in the next two months.
- William Keegan

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ain-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Someone going by the name of JHunt has even got their own article.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

In the patronising bollox Mark 3 section.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ir-starmer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Parliamentary politics, such as it has been since the general election, has been like fighting over the steering wheel when you’re already in the middle of a game of chicken. Do you really want to be in charge when the British and EU cars collide?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... icy-change" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour MPs warn of backlash if Jeremy Corbyn shifts Brexit stance
Plans to position Labour as the party of ‘soft Brexit’ lead to concerns among MPs about alienating Brexit voters
The passage of the repeal bill and the Labour party conference are going to be lively, it seems.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... icy-change" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another [Labour MP] said: “This is a disaster in northern towns where we got Ukip’s vote by backing Brexit and immigration controls as soon as possible, not by hoping they might come through in the future.”
Not much point in having the UKIP vote if they just adopt UKIP's policies.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

'The president speaks for himself': Rex Tillerson distances himself from Trump

Asked if Charlottesville remarks made it harder to represent the US, secretary of state appears to suggest president does not represent American values (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ottesville
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://jackofkent.com/brexit-negotiatio ... urce-page/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... icy-change" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another [Labour MP] said: “This is a disaster in northern towns where we got Ukip’s vote by backing Brexit and immigration controls as soon as possible, not by hoping they might come through in the future.”
Not much point in having the UKIP vote if they just adopt UKIP's policies.
John "The Mouth" Mann, and others who wish to remain nameless.