Saturday 26th, Sunday 27th & Monday 28th August 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 26th, Sunday 27th & Monday 28th August 2017

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-franc ... ce=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

It would seem I can vote for the Labour Party once again.

Isn't that nice?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

What I meant to say was now we remainers have somewhere to go on the left.

It's been a while coming, but better late than never.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Laura Pidcock is meeting Gauke about her concerns about UC.It is this sort of hate that puts MP's at risk.My great uncle Fred was a Tory.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -editorial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/voluntary-s ... al-weekend" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bat conservation is open to everyone, even city nature-phobes
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/econ ... snt-matter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The national debt is still soaring—but that doesn’t matter
Its insignificance is significant because it means nationalisation is affordable
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:What I meant to say was now we remainers have somewhere to go on the left.

If Labour is serious about remaining in the single market during transition, they will need to amend the repeal bill or defeat it, or at least try, so we'll have to wait and see what they actually do. But I agree the new position is encouraging.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

HindleA wrote:Laura Pidcock is meeting Gauke about her concerns about UC.It is this sort of hate that puts MP's at risk.My great uncle Fred was a Tory.
Pidcock has said her own grandmother was a lifelong Tory. Even by the standards of silly season, the manufactured fuss about this has been pathetic and dishonest.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
promising Twitter thread, starts with -
May's visit to Teeside looks like the promo shots for a gritty new detective drama set in the North East
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Willow904 wrote:
Sky'sGoneOut wrote:What I meant to say was now we remainers have somewhere to go on the left.

If Labour is serious about remaining in the single market during transition, they will need to amend the repeal bill or defeat it, or at least try, so we'll have to wait and see what they actually do. But I agree the new position is encouraging.
I thought the repeal bill was from the point of leaving, so there's no reason not to stay in single market during transition, except political leaning?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Divorce bill remains sticking point as Brexit negotiations resume

Senior EU diplomats warn progress in this week’s negotiations will be difficult unless UK agrees how to calculate final Brexit bill

EU officials said they were looking forward to hearing the UK team’s legal analysis on the Brexit bill but voiced their frustration. “We are not yet in a situation where lack of time would prevent us from advancing, so far it is a lack of substance,” said one official. (Guardian - my emphasis)
Lack of style, too.

And the general thrust seems to be that the UK wants somebody else to do all the spade work.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ons-resume
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Missing in London: inside TfL's lost property office (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017 ... rty-office
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinybgoat wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

I thought the repeal bill was from the point of leaving, so there's no reason not to stay in single market during transition, except political leaning?
Hi tinybgoat. Sorry to only just respond to your question, I was out shopping.

The point about the repeal bill is that the way it's currently drafted it will apply from "exit day". And "exit day" is whatever day the government later decides it wants it to be without any recourse to parliament. So if Labour are serious about opposing May's plans to pull us out of the single market and customs union in March 2019 (or having a meaningful vote on the exit agreement) they will have to start that opposition right now, either by successfully amending the bill so "exit day" can only be designated by a vote in Parliament or by opposing the repeal bill.

So if Labour are ever going to fight hard Brexit, they'll need to start now. Even if they completely fail to stop May's plans, at least they won't be implicated in any of the negative consequences of a Tory hard Brexit, having tried to oppose it. I assume this is why Starmer's clarification of policy has come now, because being all things to all sides will no longer be possible once the repeal bill goes through Parliament as Labour will be forced to take definitive stances on significant issues, like the one above.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Willow904 wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

The point about the repeal bill is that the way it's currently drafted it will apply from "exit day". And "exit day" is whatever day the government later decides it wants it to be without any recourse to parliament. So if Labour are serious about opposing May's plans to pull us out of the single market and customs union in March 2019 (or having a meaningful vote on the exit agreement) they will have to start that opposition right now, either by successfully amending the bill so "exit day" can only be designated by a vote in Parliament or by opposing the repeal bill.

So if Labour are ever going to fight hard Brexit, they'll need to start now. Even if they completely fail to stop May's plans, at least they won't be implicated in any of the negative consequences of a Tory hard Brexit, having tried to oppose it. I assume this is why Starmer's clarification of policy has come now, because being all things to all sides will no longer be possible once the repeal bill goes through Parliament as Labour will be forced to take definitive stances on significant issues, like the one above.
Hi Willow

Presumably Labour will indeed be seeking to amend the Repeal Bill as it hits Parliament shortly.

One thing I am interested in is to the extent to which the Lords will cause trouble. If I understand correctly, since there is no formal coalition, the Salisbury Convention does not hold.

Am I right on this?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/sal ... on-brexit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... -2017-0030" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.parliament.uk/site-informati ... -doctrine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 28 Aug, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Night night.
I woke this morning and thought I'd slept through most of the day
The clock's battery had stopped
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Deleted
Not before I'd listened to it. So there!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
tinybgoat wrote: I thought the repeal bill was from the point of leaving, so there's no reason not to stay in single market during transition, except political leaning?

Hi Willow

Presumably Labour will indeed be seeking to amend the Repeal Bill as it hits Parliament shortly.

One thing I am interested in is to the extent to which the Lords will cause trouble. If I understand correctly, since there is no formal coalition, the Salisbury Convention does not hold.

Am I right on this?
How and when the Salisbury Convention might apply to a minority government is a good question. I don't really know, but I think it's very clear Theresa May went to the country to get a mandate for her hard Brexit plans and failed to get one, so I can't see how the Salisbury Convention would apply in that case.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@cja would highly recommend getting a talking clock/watch,they let you know.Mine is particularly could at crosswords, swears like a trooper and a does a passable impersonation of Frankie Howard.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Bizarre as it may sound, the convention’s susceptibility to variable interpretation may prove to be its most attractive feature for the demands of the moment"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:@cja would highly recommend getting a talking clock/watch,they let you know.Mine is particularly could at crosswords, swears like a trooper and a does a passable impersonation of Frankie Howard.
May Tarquin give me a recommendation, please?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"None of the cheap shite on offer,get a decent one,radio controlled as a minimum",sorry a bit blunt but hopefully clear.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:"Bizarre as it may sound, the convention’s susceptibility to variable interpretation may prove to be its most attractive feature for the demands of the moment"
I hope so...still, I don't like unwritten and customary procedure

Tories lost their majority and while they've currently the most MPs in Parliament and can justifiably be in leadership, the fact remains they're a minority government, their expensive supply confidantes notwithstanding. Tory government have no mandate for their manifesto or Tory Brexit, as far as I'm concerned.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:"None of the cheap shite on offer,get a decent one,radio controlled as a minimum",sorry a bit blunt but hopefully clear.
May I please have Big Ben once it's all wound up again?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@cja quote from one of previous links
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:---
How and when the Salisbury Convention might apply to a minority government is a good question. I don't really know, but I think it's very clear Theresa May went to the country to get a mandate for her hard Brexit plans and failed to get one, so I can't see how the Salisbury Convention would apply in that case.
Isn't specifically about the Salisbury Convention but I thought it interesting.
Mind the dates, this is prior 2015 GE and the expectation was that it'd be a hung Parliament
Commons Select Committee
26 March 2015

In a report published today, Thursday 26 March, the Commons Political and Constitutional Reform Committee looks at procedures for forming a government after the General Election and sets out what the public ought to expect in the event of a hung Parliament.

In the next Parliament the Cabinet Manual should be updated to differentiate more clearly the reasons behind the periods of restriction on Government activity before and after an election. This will give greater clarity to the public about what should and what should not happen during these periods.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... -may-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Was more clarity sorted after the Tory majority in GE 2015? Anyone got a link?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:@cja quote from one of previous links
Where do you think my research started, my friend? From one of your links, of course
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Please have a look at that Parliament link I posted, someone, if you've time and inclination
It looks to me I've posted the least interesting bits on the page
It was an interesting study
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Willow904 wrote:

Thanks, tried to reply earlier, but fell foul of triple nesting thing, then had mobile signal blocked by Winchester Cathedral (on holiday), then ran out of battery.
I think my understanding of brexit's getting steadily worse as it goes on, though could be sun
;)
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Thanks, tried to reply earlier, but fell foul of triple nesting thing, then had mobile signal blocked by Winchester Cathedral (on holiday), then ran out of battery.
I think my understanding of brexit's getting steadily worse as it goes on, though could be sun
;)
Well stop reading it.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

55DegreesNorth wrote:
;)
Well stop reading it.
:D
Very good, my standards aren't quite that low (though I admit to browsing conservativehome occasionally, mainly for the ....)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

tinybgoat wrote:
promising Twitter thread, starts with -
May's visit to Teeside looks like the promo shots for a gritty new detective drama set in the North East
Monkfish!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... protocol-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Technical note on functionality and Protocol 7
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/davi ... gotiations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

News story
David Davis' opening remarks at the start of the third round of EU exit negotiations
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/news/davi ... gotiations

News story
David Davis' opening remarks at the start of the third round of EU exit negotiations

Rolled-up sleeves are so passé.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

;)
Well stop reading it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

What's going on? Has someone shuffled the deck?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Anybody who hasn't seen it yet, and wants a bit of a laugh, should seek out this "journalists political leanings" table going around.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Anybody who hasn't seen it yet, and wants a bit of a laugh, should seek out this "journalists political leanings" table going around.
This one?
Some of it you think "hmm, I can agree with that". Then you see Alex Jones as "the white sun of light and revelation" and you fall over laughing. You can't even describe him as 'white', as he's normally a shade of puce.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

tinybgoat wrote:
55DegreesNorth wrote:
;)
Well stop reading it.
:D
Very good, my standards aren't quite that low (though I admit to browsing conservativehome occasionally, mainly for the ....)
There's something there bringing you down...
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Police dealing with record level of phone calls on mental health
Forces left to pick up pieces, with senior officer saying cuts and rising demand mean NHS is struggling to cope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 86166.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DWP spends £39m defending decisions to strip benefits from sick and disabled people
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... t#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK-US trade could be derailed by 19 lost deals after Brexit, say MPs
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... sile-japan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

North Korea fires missile over Japan