Monday 4th September 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 4th September 2017

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:
Willow904 wrote:Some interesting points in this Brexit article from Faisal Islam:

http://news.sky.com/story/amp/sky-views ... e-11019976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Particularly:
So this leaves Theresa May a prisoner not of her Brexit rebels but to Parliamentary arithmetic and the reality of her negotiating hand, and under strong pressure from business interests to sort things out quickly. Her Cabinet allies point out that it is not just Tory MPs who do not want another election but SNP MPs too, they calculate, would fear a further loss of seats, and not vote for an early election as required under the Fixed Term Parliament Act (plans to scrap this appear to have been mysteriously parked).
That was a long one - I admit to skim-reading it - but very interesting. Thanks.

(The first paragraph was a masterpiece!)
Yes, Islam seems to have some actual sources. It was about the most factual and detailed account of what the government are doing and thinking on Brexit that I've read. The warnings from sitting Tory MPs in remain seats was fascinating. I'm surprised I haven't come across that before:
The tin-eared Number 10 operation failed even to believe the calls, weeks before the election, from sitting MPs in places like Reading and Kensington, that they were in trouble because of a clear organised Remain backlash, including from Tory voters. When it came, the answer from CCHQ, late in the day, was to flood the constituencies with leaflets of Theresa May promoting her Brexit plan.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 4th September 2017

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/public-lead ... vatisation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Working for one of the 21 privatised probation firms, I’ve seen cuts, stress, sickness and a rise in violent incidents. Time to end this experiment