Tuesday, 5th September 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Tuesday, 5th September 2017

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday, 5th September 2017

Post by PorFavor »

@RogerOThornhill

Happy birthday!

Edited to add -

(I'm following HindleA's lead here (from yesterday) so I hope I haven't been set up . . .)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... m-grayling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

labour-opposition-to-brexit-repeal-bill-risks-legal-vacuum-grayling

Apparently Mrs May wants to get back to the domestic agenda.

I bet she bloody does. Shame she's wasted so much time and ruined so many lives while pratting around with Brexit :evil:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.newstatesman.com/microsites/ ... government" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John Healey: “Labour has a radical and deliverable housing plan. The government has no plan”

“if you take the view that Brexit is likely to lead to an economic slowing, an increase in costs, and therefore inflation domestically, it would seem a sensible move for government to act now in order to head off any potential problems rather than too late, and in panic.”
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PorFavor wrote:@RogerOThornhill

Happy birthday!

Edited to add -

(I'm following HindleA's lead here (from yesterday) so I hope I haven't been set up . . .)
Thank you. It is indeed my birthday today.

As 'er indoors was incapacitated and couldn't get out to buy me anything, Amazon came to the rescue. My kids were asked to remove said items and put them somewhere and hide the receipt. The only problem is that I don't know where they put them...

A couple of articles on the SEN(D) changes a few years back - and, what a surprise, they turn out to be dire.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... -ehc-plans

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... -ehc-plans
Richard Watts, chair of the Local Government Association’s children and young people board, says councils have been put in an impossible position. He says the LGA warned the government from the outset that the SEN reforms in the Children and Families Act were significantly underfunded.

The LGA also says mainstream schools are becoming wary of taking children with SEN, even if their needs could reasonably be supported. “If we’re to make sure that all children get access to a mainstream education, the government must urgently provide additional funding,” says Watts.
So...make the system more complex and underfund it - a perfect storm.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... r-evidence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open consultation
Access to elections: Call for Evidence
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Happy birthday Roger!
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk ... government" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Repeal Bill must be urgently amended to protect people from Government rollback on fundamental rights after Brexit
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How will councils survive the funding abyss?
Peter Hetherington
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... CMP=twt_gu

Peter Hetherington
With great difficulty?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.conservativehome.com/majori ... -2017.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Interesting that most Tories genuinely weren't expecting what was to come even at five to ten on polling day. Very much as with Labour two years earlier.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Not sure whether I'm surprised at this or not...
Jamie Grierson‏Verified account @JamieGrierson 1h1 hour ago
More
Serving members of British Army among those arrested on suspicion of being members of neo-nazi group National Action, I can confirm.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The picture chosen by the Graun to illustrate that story is.........interesting.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

“The CRD became degraded, the Press Office became degraded,” and around 100 of the 120 campaign managers had been let go. They lost their jobs just after they had gained experience of their first General Election, and after a mammoth effort to train them up and build relationships with their local parties – a “bloody catastrophe”, in the words of one senior Party official.
Victims of their own shortsighted ideologically driven obsession with austerity. Priceless :)
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... CMP=twt_gu

Peter Hetherington
With great difficulty?
By becoming property developers in areas where that's viable.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Happy birthday Roger!
:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Property, housing, land use, business and public services buildings and their maintenance provide the stable ground for those using that infrastructure.

Property speculation is a different gig; a waste of time, energy and resources.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:Property, housing, land use, business and public services buildings and their maintenance provide the stable ground for those using that infrastructure.

It's both better and worse than that. Worse in that they're prepared to sacrifice social housing units to get more money from the developer, which is bad. But better in that they're not speculating as I understand it- they're getting fixed prices from the developer. In some ways it might be better if they were speculating because the developer has been able to bank money from prices rising.

If done well, it's not a bad thing. My estate got extra social units, plus a refurbishment of all the social flats inside, in return for a new private block built on the corner. The private building is a bit high, but that's about all that's wrong.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Interesting that most Tories genuinely weren't expecting what was to come even at five to ten on polling day. Very much as with Labour two years earlier.
I got both results wrong too. Not a landslide for May, but an improvement in seats, for sure.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Interesting anecdote from Marklu, who Roger and I used to interact with lots on Education on the DT site.

He came across somebody who's been teaching in Dubai. Obviously, that's a very attractive financial prospect for teachers but unattractive in other ways. You might expect some sort of mix of people who'd failed here and/or were particularly motivated by money. In fact, lots of them were in their 30s, and had wound up there after being booted out from schools by "new brooms"- academy chain takeovers, somebody showing Ofsted they were "serious" about a bad inspection. Some were just whacked out.

What a waste.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

St Olave's head caught up in school trademark ownership row

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ership-row" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Property, housing, land use, business and public services buildings and their maintenance provide the stable ground for those using that infrastructure.

It's both better and worse than that. Worse in that they're prepared to sacrifice social housing units to get more money from the developer, which is bad. But better in that they're not speculating as I understand it- they're getting fixed prices from the developer. In some ways it might be better if they were speculating because the developer has been able to bank money from prices rising.

If done well, it's not a bad thing. My estate got extra social units, plus a refurbishment of all the social flats inside, in return for a new private block built on the corner. The private building is a bit high, but that's about all that's wrong.
Thank goodness you've understood me, my post wasn't clear enough. Re-reading the thread, it looked as if my post criticised yours and it wasn't intended to be. Your further explanation is how I understand our current situation. It's about as good as it gets at the moment.

There's much I don't understand about Land Value Tax (LVT), property speculation and wildly escalating property values. I've not done systematic study of these topics. However, the disparity between affordable housing costs and wages is an unsustainable state of affairs. Current property value dysfunction must be stopped at the national level. That's huge, what I'm suggesting. It means radical change. Money in the economy has (in part) been brought into being through lending huge sums for mortgages. It didn't and doesn't need to be this way. I don't know how to fix this. I've read many good ideas. Increased governmental housing providing affordable social rental homes long-term can provide an effective 'housing product' alternative from the private housing sector.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://news.gov.scot/news/programme-for-government-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Programme for Government

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2017/09/8468/0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted.

Exceeded waffle limit and a mish mash of about four different points trying to be made.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 05 Sep, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Rain coming down hard
the sun seems to have vanished entirely
taking the light with it
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Where's David Davis?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Where's David Davis?
He's been "overcome with emotion" after hearing the royal baby news?? :mrgreen:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Stuck in a stall somewhere
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:
Stuck in a stall somewhere

What - locked in the toilet?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've just had a quick look at the Parliament Channel - they're still discussing Myanmar.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:I've just had a quick look at the Parliament Channel - they're still discussing Myanmar.
Which should be discussed, tbf. A certain Nobel Prize winner has proved a huge letdown there.

Though its Burma, btw :P
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:---
What - locked in the toilet?
Correct
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

He's been freed from the toilet stall, Davis
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/mya ... 30176.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://visual.ons.gov.uk/pensioners-in-the-eu-and-uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pensioners in the EU and UK
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

You're fine, Citizen. Impossible to read anything you write as being unduly critical.

I suppose at least London has this option, even if there are losers from it. What Stoke does with its shortfall, God only knows.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

HindleA wrote:St Olave's head caught up in school trademark ownership row

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ership-row" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He and the bursar are looking uncannily like a pair of chancers. The governors sound like they've got their number.

Has the school really lost "20%" of its income in real terms? That sounds unlikely to me. Actually, if you boot out a load of pupils every year, maybe you do.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The Church of England seems to have been asleep on the job at St Olave's.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Dave Davis blew it responding to Keir Starmer. Davis demanded to know if Labour would pay £100bn to Brussels. Brussels haven't asked for any specific sum. Tory government just hopes like hell people aren't paying attention and/or become confused given the fusillade of misinformation swamping the media.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

David Davis updates MPs on Brexit talks - Politics live

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... e#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a kind description of what's going on in the Commons, given the statements and responses posted on the blog.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Afternoon

Watching the Brexit debate

Appalling from Davis and the only Tory has shown any balls is Clarke - Soubry just spent her time criticising Labour

The Government are an absolute shambles - Starmer is much more considered and capable

The whole Tory response seems to be whingeing about the EU - and Yvette Cooper (and Starmer) was right, we have seen absolutely no detail at all and it seems to be just platitudes and waffle
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Bernard Jenkin just said that we have to wait for the German Government to be in place (possibly another couple of months) before we see any real progress - nonchalantly accepted by Davis

We leave in March 2019......we have to get the deal through all the democratic bodies before then so that will leave us approximately 12 months (with Christmas and another summer holiday to g), so I guess 10 months or so of negotiations to deal with all the thousands of details that need to be discussed

The Tory interventions indicate they are happy for us just to get out....again demonstrating the lie saying both parties are the same
Last edited by howsillyofme1 on Tue 05 Sep, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Kate Hoey is a disgrace
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:I've just had a quick look at the Parliament Channel - they're still discussing Myanmar.
Which should be discussed, tbf. A certain Nobel Prize winner has proved a huge letdown there.

Though its Burma, btw :P
That's exactly what the Labour MP who was speaking when I tuned in said. I agree.

(That she (can't be bothered to check spelling) was a disappointment - not that it's Burma.)
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

me again, there are more Labour 'leavers' - a small number - speaking than the number supporting the EU from the Tory benches (which are supposed to be full of them)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... gag-debate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Increased segregation in schooling was one of the main concerns of the UNCRPD.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Leaked document reveals UK Brexit plan to deter EU immigrants

Exclusive: Home Office paper sets out detailed proposals including measures to drive down number of low-skilled migrants from Europe

Britain will end the free movement of labour immediately after Brexit and introduce restrictions to deter all but highly-skilled EU workers under detailed proposals set out in a Home Office document leaked to the Guardian.

The determination to end free movement from day one and drive down lower-skilled EU migration, end the role of the European court of justice in family migration and extend elements of Theresa May’s “hostile environment” measures to long-term EU migrants without residence permits is likely to please hard Brexiters. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... immigrants