Thursday 7th September 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 7th September 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 7th September 2017

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The long read

How the aristocracy preserved their power
After democracy finally shunted aside hereditary lords, they found new means to protect their extravagant riches. For all the modern tales of noble poverty and leaking ancestral homes, their private wealth and influence remains phenomenal (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/s ... heir-power
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I see we've got a spammer, oh joy.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Lord Tarquin wishes it to be known that he can't help his ancestry.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Power?".He is eking a living with a manual lawnmower".One of his servants spokesperson friends said.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

If it's not one thing, then it's another . . .
He said the government was looking into whether it would need to formally confirm its departure from the European Economic Area (the EEA - a group comprising the EU, plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein). He said the EEA agreement would no longer apply to the UK after Brexit, but that a more formal departure might be necessary.

We are considering what steps, if any, we might need to take to formally confirm our withdrawal from the EEA agreement as a matter of international law. (Politics Live, Guardian)
You'd think they'd know, wouldn't you?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PorFavor wrote:If it's not one thing, then it's another . . .
He said the government was looking into whether it would need to formally confirm its departure from the European Economic Area (the EEA - a group comprising the EU, plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein). He said the EEA agreement would no longer apply to the UK after Brexit, but that a more formal departure might be necessary.

We are considering what steps, if any, we might need to take to formally confirm our withdrawal from the EEA agreement as a matter of international law. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Give them a chance - it's not as if they've had over a year to think about complexities like this...

Morning all.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh, this is excellent news!
HealthServiceJournal‏ @HSJnews 5h5 hours ago
More
Ministers abandon sale of NHS Professionals http://ift.tt/2gMep51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:D

This never made any sense given the chuntering about how much money was being spent using external agencies - why sell off something that was efficient and saved the NHS money?

The only people in favour were the free market loons.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PorFavor wrote:If it's not one thing, then it's another . . .

Give them a chance - it's not as if they've had over a year to think about complexities like this...

Morning all.
Davis said it would be a doddle didn't he?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I see we've got a spammer, oh joy.
3-ingredient-scones.jpg
3-ingredient-scones.jpg (66 KiB) Viewed 14533 times
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Talking of Davis, he's apparently being blustering and unconvincing in the Commons. Again.

Strange right now to consider how he was highly regarded by many in his backbench days.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G live blog:

Starmer is winding up now.

He says the bill was originally called the great repeal bill.

The word “great” should have been preserved. It is a great power-grab bill, he says.

Unless the government makes some considerable changes, Labour will vote against it on Monday, he says.
Not looking good for significant amendments, though:
Anna Soubry MP @Anna_Soubry
#Labour v foolish to vote against #EUwithdrawalbill at 2nd reading - Govt clearly listening to concerns & willing to amend
1:06 pm · 7 Sep 2017
Not exactly fighting talk is it? Meanwhile...
Nearly 40 Conservative MPs have signed a letter saying that staying in the single market during the transition period would be a “historic mistake”
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:From the G live blog:

Starmer is winding up now.

He says the bill was originally called the great repeal bill.

The word “great” should have been preserved. It is a great power-grab bill, he says.

Unless the government makes some considerable changes, Labour will vote against it on Monday, he says.
Not looking good for significant amendments, though:
Anna Soubry MP @Anna_Soubry
#Labour v foolish to vote against #EUwithdrawalbill at 2nd reading - Govt clearly listening to concerns & willing to amend
1:06 pm · 7 Sep 2017
Not exactly fighting talk is it? Meanwhile...
Nearly 40 Conservative MPs have signed a letter saying that staying in the single market during the transition period would be a “historic mistake”
Yes. Anna Soubry almost makes Shirley Williams look principled.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The praise Soubry has got from Centrist Dad types for just being willing to mouth a few platitudes on occasion is, even for them, breathtaking.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I'm shocked shocked etc.

Revealed: The Tory MPs using taxpayers’ cash to fund a secretive hard-Brexit group

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/brexit ... o-fund-sec
Taxpayers’ money is being used to fund an influential group of hard-line pro-Brexit Conservative MPs who are increasingly operating as a “party-within-a-party”, openDemocracy can reveal today.

Despite expenses rules stating that MPs cannot claim for research or work “done for, or on behalf of, a political party”, the European Research Group has received over a quarter of a million pounds from MPs who claimed the public cash through their official expenses.
If you google their name, you'll find nothing apart from links to other websites such as ConHome.

No website? So why were their expenses approved?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Quiet today isn't it?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ssh!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dire ... -announced" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Press release
Director for Fair Access and Participation announced
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

In his speech, Sir Keir Starmer singled out clause 9 of the EU withdrawal bill for particular criticism. (See 1.16pm.) But, according to Paul Hardy, clause 6 is also hugely significant. Hardy is a former EU legal adviser to the House of Lords and is now Brexit director at the law firm DLA Piper. In a briefing sent to journalists he said:

Clause 6 is critical. It currently states that British courts “need not have any regard to anything done on, or after, edit day by the European court of justice (ECJ), or the EU, but may do if it considers appropriate to do so”. This might sound like technical legalese, but in legislative terms this is an emphatic rejection of any influence of the ECJ on UK courts after 29 March 2019. This is political dynamite, as it may preclude any transitional deal, because the EU will want the UK to recognise EU case law even after the formal exit date for the duration of any transitional period.

If the EU is to recognise the draft legislation of the withdrawal bill as a basis for cooperation, it will demand that the UK applies EU rules in exactly the same way as EU member states until it exits from any transitional period. If the bill reaches a final vote in the Commons without an amendment to Clause 6, we can be certain that the EU will not agree to the transitional deal with the UK after March 2019. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Wonderful words/phrases they use ,whlist slashing funding for disabled students,lauding the likes of Toby Young and his bemoaning of "trogloydites" and PC gawn mad wheelchair ramps" etc."Disability Confident"the two fingers up replacement for two ticks.etc.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

May refuses invitation to address European parliament in public

Exclusive: PM’s decision described as ‘yet another own goal’ as minutes of Brussels meeting reveal low opinion of David Davis

Theresa May has caused further ill will in Brussels by rejecting an invitation to address the European parliament in public, EU sources have said, instead insisting she will only talk to its leaders behind closed doors.

The prime minister had been asked by the parliament’s president, Antonio Tajani, to speak to a full session of the chamber to explain her position on Brexit. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... russels-eu

Edited to add -

She could always turn up and wear gloves throughout. That way she could avoid showing her (strengthened) hand.
Last edited by PorFavor on Thu 07 Sep, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... plications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Transparency data
"Free" schools: open schools and successful applications
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.24housing.co.uk/news/campaig ... ble-homes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Campaign calls for increasing number of accessible homes
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

So Keir Starmer, Dominic Grieve and Ken Clarke all think the Great Repeal Bill is a crock of shit.

How can anyone vote for it?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

And suddenly Suella Fernandes is centre stage of the Brexit debate. At least for Laura K.

Did she or didn't she sign a letter?

Is this of any importance?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Laura Kuenssberg‏Verified account @bbclaurak 3h3 hours ago
More
Suella Fernandes tells me she did circulate the letter but isn't signing it, insists it is completely supportive of govt policy

:roll:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

A decent account from John Crace

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... avid-davis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the-great-repeal-bill-its-no-biggie-says-david-davis
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Somewhere there is a Tory adviser thinking 'and it seemed like such a good idea to call the repeal bill "great"' :lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Rebel rat pillage
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:A decent account from John Crace

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... avid-davis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the-great-repeal-bill-its-no-biggie-says-david-davis
Yes - when I listened to him at the time, I was struck by the number of things that David Davis wouldn't do. I was expecting him to break into the "Meatloaf" song. (Is there mince in meatloaf?)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Nigel Farage to address far-right rally in Germany

Former Ukip leader was invited to speak at event held by AfD party by the granddaughter of Hitler’s finance minister (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... in-germany
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Public service announcement -

Yes - there is mince in meatloaf, for those who might be wondering. I've just looked it up.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Evening all. Back from visiting 'er that isn't indoors right now...slow progress but at least heading in the right direction.

I caught Katharine Birbalsingh on the DP earlier and she was using the "allowing free schools to be innovative" so I asked, yet again, what precisely have any free schools done that was innovative.

Deafening silence.

Until just now that is when I saw a reply - *liked* by said Ms Birbalisingh - which said that "Michaela seems innovative and different. There is nothing to stop other schools doing the same if they want. Up to now they haven't."

Of course. That'll do for evidence...

I'll continue the search for innovation...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And I notice when any discussion of education reforms comes up, it's always about secondary reforms and GCSEs.

The reason is of course because primary assessment and testing is a total basket case and was handled appallingly.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.opendemocracy.net/neweconom ... -security/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/235218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sara Netanyahu to be indicted on Friday
Attorney General plans to issue indictment Friday against First Lady Sara Netanyahu, accusing her of misusing public funds
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/u ... d-13581332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:So Keir Starmer, Dominic Grieve and Ken Clarke all think the Great Repeal Bill is a crock of shit.

How can anyone vote for it?
See the reference to "woke" Soubry upthread :roll:

Centrist Dads had paroxyisms when Labour people went for a day's campaigning in her seat recently.

"She offers far more opposition than Corbyn", they squawked.

Really?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

US Appeals Court finds against Donald Trump (re travel ban) - Sky TV news
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Did we see the Daily Osborne editorial?

Evening Standard comment: EU debate shows who respects Parliament

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comm ... 29186.html
For all these self-proclaimed “parliamentarians” who back Brexit, the ends now also justify the means. Leaving the EU has become such a holy grail, increasingly anything goes.

Give the state the power to ignore Parliament: tick. Pay a 50 billion-odd euro divorce bill to leave: tick. Walk out of the EU institutions and then end up following their rules: tick.

The Brexit end justifies the undemocratic means — precisely the kind of argument these same MPs used to resist when made by previous governments trying to bypass Parliament.
Ouch.