Monday 11th September 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Monday 11th September 2017

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -challenge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tory-DUP £1bn payment needs parliament's approval after Gina Miller challenge
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 11th September 2017

Post by Willow904 »

Just read this article linked last night:

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/n ... -1-5188326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He claimed one girl, who was “a bag of nerves”, had been told if she did not look teachers in the eye when greeting them, she could leave.
No doubt if pressed on this the school would deny it, as it's discrimination pure and simple. Autistic children often can't make eye contact but they are entitled to an inclusive education. Making rules that exclude them is not acceptable, but that is undoubtedly what these strict rules are about. Not being allowed to leave your seat for any reason? Kids with ADHD will soon being seeking places at other schools. Push out kids with developmental issues and your exam results will go up, not because you are a better school but because you are selecting better pupils.

That's how it seems to me, anyway.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinw ... eter-poll/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour Support Reaches 50% in Wales: the new Welsh Political Barometer Poll
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:Just read this article linked last night:

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/n ... -1-5188326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He claimed one girl, who was “a bag of nerves”, had been told if she did not look teachers in the eye when greeting them, she could leave.
No doubt if pressed on this the school would deny it, as it's discrimination pure and simple. Autistic children often can't make eye contact but they are entitled to an inclusive education. Making rules that exclude them is not acceptable, but that is undoubtedly what these strict rules are about. Not being allowed to leave your seat for any reason? Kids with ADHD will soon being seeking places at other schools. Push out kids with developmental issues and your exam results will go up, not because you are a better school but because you are selecting better pupils.

In a different way, eye contact can be an issue with boys, (particularly boys), from Jamaican heritage - I'm generalising, obviously, but they can see eye contact as confrontational so choosing to look away is showing appropriate deference, even when it's not what you want.
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

That school sounds utterly horrible, and some of the reported practices verge on child abuse.

And weren't academies meant to be about "choice" anyway?? It seems like many parents have no option other than to send their kids to this atrocity.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Willow904 wrote:Just read this article linked last night:

Morning, folks,
That place sounds terrible. I could never have worked in a place like that. A few years ago, a I worked in a pretty rough school in County Durham & we advertised for a science teacher. We had 11 applications from a single school in the region, one run along the same lines as this place. I've no doubt the staff hate this bullying culture and I bet there is a pretty high turnover.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I particularly think punishment for things that happen by accident is inappropriate. Confiscating a phone because it has gone off once during class seems completely out of proportion, especially the timescales we are talking about. If phones are a real problem I feel it is better to ban them completely, as this is a rule that is harder to break by accident. Having said that, mobile phones are a part of modern life. A school that can't manage to teach children how to use them responsibly and appropriately is a school that is admitting it doesn't have the skills to prepare children for the wider world. Taking phones away is a cop out, really. How does a child learn to remember to put it on silent when in class if they don't have it with them? If someone expects children to learn anything without first making a few mistakes I really do have to question how on earth they ever got to be in charge of a school.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Is Ohso's family okay? Anyone know, please?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

CAB Report into UC and creation/exacerbation of debt.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about ... -and-debt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The left wing slate has taken both membership seats for Labour's Conference Arrangements Committee, and by a substantial margin.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The left wing slate has taken both membership seats for Labour's Conference Arrangements Committee, and by a substantial margin.
I await the "It's a disahster dahling" post shortly :twisted:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Well done Flint & Field :toss:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Good to see WatO sticking to the important questions:
Q: Would you [Corbyn] take part in Strictly?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... s-and.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cherry picking economic statistics and Project Fear

Mainlymacro
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:Well done Flint & Field :toss:
Last June, CF said Corbyn should resign because Brexit was his fault. She's now going to vote for May's Enabling Act.

I put her 2nd in the deputy election in 2015. Embarrassed by that now.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon all. Insurance paid out remarkably quickly for the stolen car and so I went and bought a new one this morning.

Glad I didn't bother with edu questions in the Commons...
Laura McInerney‏Verified account @miss_mcinerney 3m3 minutes ago
More
Laura McInerney Retweeted Schools Week LIVE
Most questions have been totally avoided in this #EduQs. Not even cleverly. Just utter fluff. What a waste of time.
:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Greening apparently took some stick for her non-answer over that trust shutting.
Schools Week LIVE‏
@SchoolsWeekLive
Following
More
Lots of booing and shouting as Greening again responds by saying Labour oversaw "falling standards" & "grade inflation". #EduQs
Whataboutery at its finest...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@RogerOThornhill

Glad you're sorted. I expect the ashtrays were full in the other car, anyway!

I hope all is well on all fronts.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Greening is the sort of minister who passes muster when things are going OK. But any hint of a problem and they go to pieces.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm following (on Politics Live, Guardian) the coverage of the EU withdrawal bill.

There's no thoughtful, or polite, way of putting this so -

Are Caroline Flint and Frank Field thick, or what?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:I'm following (on Politics Live, Guardian) the coverage of the EU withdrawal bill.

QTWTAIY?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I have been told Edward Leigh was impressive in this debate earlier. I am as shocked by that, if true, as the rest of you doubtless are.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

They should of course vote against, but this Bill is trivial. There is no real alternative to it or something just like it if you want Brexit and Labour hasn't suggested one. Legislative scrutiny of all that is re-enacted isn't an option.

The important vote was back in March,and Labour was on the wrong side.

There might have been some fun embarrassing the Tories, but that is just politics as a game.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:I'm following (on Politics Live, Guardian) the coverage of the EU withdrawal bill.

Perhaps their contributions are in code of some sort?
a message
secret message in code?
hell if I know what they're up to
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I have been told Edward Leigh was impressive in this debate earlier. I am as shocked by that, if true, as the rest of you doubtless are.
if he renounced his title, Tory/UKIP MP party affiliation and dedicated his life and assets for the benefit of all people and nation, I'd be impressed
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Not sure about Field (was listening, but brain auto filtered him out), but Flint must think their constituents are, or at least to dim to be worth trying to explain the difference between blocking brexit & blocking a dangerously flawed bill, to.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Really strong twitter thread here on the repeal bill:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Simply incorrect to keep suggesting a vote against #EUWithdrawalBill is a vote to frustrate Brexit. It's about our constitutional future. /1
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

You have to ask why the govt - this one or any future govt of any political persuasion - needs *such* drastically wide powers. /15

You have to ask why the Govt thought it acceptable to present a Bill in this format, with such sweeping powers & such little scrutiny /16

Short answer is, though it needs some flexibility, it doesn't need powers like this. It shd never have presented a Bill in this shape. /17
A flavour of the linked thread for those not on twitter.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

SpinningHugo wrote:They should of course vote against, but this Bill is trivial. There is no real alternative to it or something just like it if you want Brexit and Labour hasn't suggested one. Legislative scrutiny of all that is re-enacted isn't an option.

There might have been some fun embarrassing the Tories, but that is just politics as a game.
Giving powers to the government to enact legislation without oversight is trivial?????
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Willow904 wrote:
You have to ask why the govt - this one or any future govt of any political persuasion - needs *such* drastically wide powers. /15

You have to ask why the Govt thought it acceptable to present a Bill in this format, with such sweeping powers & such little scrutiny /16

Short answer is, though it needs some flexibility, it doesn't need powers like this. It shd never have presented a Bill in this shape. /17
A flavour of the linked thread for those not on twitter.
Nah, it's a trivial thing. See above.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:Is Ohso's family okay? Anyone know, please?
Thanks for asking. Haven't heard from them yet. Will probably have to wait until they have power back on.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Margaret Beckett on good form.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:They should of course vote against, but this Bill is trivial. There is no real alternative to it or something just like it if you want Brexit and Labour hasn't suggested one. Legislative scrutiny of all that is re-enacted isn't an option.

A highly predictable take.

Of course, the reality is that Labour voting against A50 was never a feasible option - and wouldn't have been whoever the leader was.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ohsocynical

Hello!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Of course, the reality is that Labour voting against A50 was never a feasible option - and wouldn't have been whoever the leader was.
I don't see why the public would have found it so hard to understand the position Corbyn put forward last November, of red lines on stuff most people agree with anyway, not least Labour's leave voters.

But it's still game on, and of course it's important to vote against this bill.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I may have misunderstood, but surely clause one isn't necessary? Surely the bill could place the naming of Brexit day in the hands of Parliament rather than a minister? I mean, surely we're not in such a rush that we can't take the time for Parliament to debate and approve the government's negotiated exit and date of commencement?

Labour's policy has always been for Parliament to have a meaningful vote on the exit terms. If this bill goes through unamended that battle is already lost. May will have complete control of Brexit. There is nothing inevitable about this bill. It's disproportionate and audacious. It's as great a test of the checks and balances of our democratic system as anything Trump has done.

Any word on what happens when this goes to the Lords? Are attempts to amend it likely to happen there? As I see little hope of successful opposition or amendment in the Commons, unfortunately. There are no Tories of principle any more and Labour has too many twits.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sorry - vague on details here - but an SNP bloke suggested that those blasé about voting in favour of the bill are acting as if we still have the safety net of the EU to protect us and pull us out of the clag (I paraphrase).
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I have been told Edward Leigh was impressive in this debate earlier. I am as shocked by that, if true, as the rest of you doubtless are.
Links to Leigh today

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/17 ... n=16:14:36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://goo.gl/mNNJVF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

I don't see why the public would have found it so hard to understand the position Corbyn put forward last November, of red lines on stuff most people agree with anyway, not least Labour's leave voters.

But it's still game on, and of course it's important to vote against this bill.
Although I agree with SH (and Caroline Lucas) that Labour should have been more robust in opposing May's article 50 timetable, SH appears to be forgetting that it would nevertheless have gone through, with or without Labour, so we would still have ended up where we are now. Indeed, if Corbyn hadn't been so deceptively unpopular in the polls that May was tempted by a snap election, we would have been here with even less chance of preventing this monstrosity of a bill. Weird times.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
Thanks for asking. Haven't heard from them yet. Will probably have to wait until they have power back on.
Hurrah!
I love you, Ohso!
Thank you for being here and letting me know.
Please give my love to your family, I think of you all with loving thoughts
:rock:
:heart:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
Have just heard from Granddaughter. She is okay. Boynton Beach in South East Florida, which is where she is, escaped the worst of it at the last moment. Daughter is in North West Florida. She and her husband are okay. No power though.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sounds like Chris Bryant was good (from AS Blog):
On the whole, the Tudor exercise was not a proud demonstration of democracy. These are clauses that Erdogan, Maduro and Putin would be proud of.
This bill is utterly pernicious, it is dangerous, it is fundamentally un-British and I think that it has at its heart a lie. It pretends to bring back power to this country, but it actually represents the biggest peace time power grab by the executive over the legislature, by the government over parliament, in 100 years.
Look at the track record of this government. Because what they’ve done recently, they’ve engaged in what I would, frankly, call jiggery-pokery with the DUP to try and make sure that they have a majority, and let’s hope we do end up having a vote when it comes to an estimates day on the 1 billion for the DUP.

They delayed the setting up of select committees until now, so that it will be impossible for people to scrutinise many of the things that are going through during the summer months.

Tomorrow, they’re trying to make sure that for the first time in our history, the government which doesn’t have a majority in this House has a majority on every single committee. If that doesn’t make you question the bona fides of this government, nothing will.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Have just heard from Granddaughter. She is okay. Boynton Beach in South East Florida, which is where she is, escaped the worst of it at the last moment. Daughter is in North West Florida. She and her husband are okay. No power though.
Good to hear, thank you
:heart:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ing-course" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Autistic boy turned away from Norwich college days after starting course
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

refitman wrote:Sounds like Chris Bryant was good (from AS Blog):
On the whole, the Tudor exercise was not a proud demonstration of democracy. These are clauses that Erdogan, Maduro and Putin would be proud of.
This bill is utterly pernicious, it is dangerous, it is fundamentally un-British and I think that it has at its heart a lie. It pretends to bring back power to this country, but it actually represents the biggest peace time power grab by the executive over the legislature, by the government over parliament, in 100 years.
Look at the track record of this government. Because what they’ve done recently, they’ve engaged in what I would, frankly, call jiggery-pokery with the DUP to try and make sure that they have a majority, and let’s hope we do end up having a vote when it comes to an estimates day on the 1 billion for the DUP.

They delayed the setting up of select committees until now, so that it will be impossible for people to scrutinise many of the things that are going through during the summer months.

Tomorrow, they’re trying to make sure that for the first time in our history, the government which doesn’t have a majority in this House has a majority on every single committee. If that doesn’t make you question the bona fides of this government, nothing will.
He was. Here's his speech:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ing-course

Autistic boy turned away from Norwich college days after starting course
Sad story. With all children having to remain in education until 18, it makes little sense that this boy's school was turfing him out at 16 in the first place. Even less sense that a college could manage to enroll someone they had already turned down. Or a council couldn't contact someone over a 4 month period by any method. The fragmentation of education provision as it moves from the public to the private sector has been more rapid and devastating than I'd anticipated. We desperately need a new government to catch all the pieces and attempt to put them back together again with some proper regulation of the sector and proper accountability for provision of places before there's nothing left to salvage.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Evening all

Just got back from (i) hospital visiting and (ii) a meeting of the local historical society.

This from edu questions. and note that it is supposed to be questions and not just "aren't we bloody great???"
Suella Fernandes (Fareham) (Con)

Michaela Community School, a free school that I have the honour of chairing and having co-founded, was recently graded outstanding in its first Ofsted report. My right hon. Friend the Minister for School Standards has visited the school; will the ministerial team join me in congratulating the staff, teachers and pupils at Michaela—led by the inspirational Katharine Birbalsingh—who are transforming young people’s lives?
She really is an appalling politician.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bath.ac.uk/announcements/hal ... axes-rise/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bath.ac.uk/publications/asse ... in-the-uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Polling/assessment of UBI.