Tuesday 12th September 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Tuesday 12th September 2017

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... servatives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Starmer argued that Labour would amend and remove the worst aspects of the bill but called the flaws “so fundamental” that it was hard to see it ever made “fit for purpose”.
Amendments are for tweaking, really. They could make things worse rather than better as we saw with the Health and Social Care Act.

I hope the government listen to the lawyers because ambiguity and vague language in a bill such as this could prove a real nightmare. At least there are some on the Conservative side that see the need for Parliament to have the final say on leaving.
Grieve also planned to lay down other amendments including calling for a further bill to be required after MPs know what the Brexit deal looks like before this legislation can actually be enacted. He also criticised the removal of safeguards for people or businesses adversely affected by the application of EU law.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 12th September 2017

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning

Secondary schools struggling to get enough teachers, says watchdog

https://www.nao.org.uk/report/supportin ... workforce/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... servatives
Starmer argued that Labour would amend and remove the worst aspects of the bill but called the flaws “so fundamental” that it was hard to see it ever made “fit for purpose”.
Amendments are for tweaking, really. They could make things worse rather than better as we saw with the Health and Social Care Act.

I hope the government listen to the lawyers because ambiguity and vague language in a bill such as this could prove a real nightmare. At least there are some on the Conservative side that see the need for Parliament to have the final say on leaving.
Grieve also planned to lay down other amendments including calling for a further bill to be required after MPs know what the Brexit deal looks like before this legislation can actually be enacted. He also criticised the removal of safeguards for people or businesses adversely affected by the application of EU law.
Morning!

There does seem to be something interesting in what Grieve is saying. He's proposing some kind of Joint Committee to effectively triage the legislation that needs reviewing and decide whether it should be referred to the House or whether, in fact, it is safe to let Whitehall just get on with it.

Given where we are, this may be the best possible outcome and something I believe May will struggle to avert. Even the Labour "rebels" would surely fall in line for such a thing.

[Apart from Kate Hoey probably]
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

It appears that Suella Fernandes is so interested in education that she's decided not to stand again for the Education Select committee.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Either that or other MPs decided her contributions were so dire and partisan that they didn't re-elect her.

Lasted precisely 2 years. Lightweight.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

CPI expected to be 2.8%,for reference.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... t-protests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Emmanuel Macron's presidency faces first major street protests
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41225056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:CPI expected to be 2.8%,for reference.
I'll raise your 2.8% to 2.9% (just announced).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

See above

https://www.ons.gov.uk/releases/ukconsu ... cesaug2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

House prices 5.1%

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflatio ... x/july2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Labour leader to tell TUC conference his vision of ‘jobs-first Brexit’ is in stark contrast to Tories’ ‘Shangri-La for bankers’

Jeremy Corbyn will call for the UK to retain “full access” to the European single market on Tuesday as he seeks to clarify Labour’s position on Brexit. It follows a BBC radio interview on Monday when Corbyn appeared to have softened the party’s position on staying in the single market. He said Labour was flexible as long as the UK was still able to trade within the single market after Brexit.

“We want a relationship which allows us to trade within the single market,” he said. “Whether that’s formal membership – which is only possible, I believe, if you are actually a member of the EU – or whether it’s an agreed trading relationship, is open for discussion. The outcome is more important than the nomenclature on the way.”

Frances O’Grady, the TUC general secretary, opened the group’s congress on Monday by calling for continued membership of the EU single market, saying it was the best way to protect British workers after Brexit. The TUC, which represents about 50 trade union organisations, officially stated that it was in favour of remaining in the single market after a meeting on Thursday.

- Jeremy Corbyn calls for UK to retain 'full access' to EU single market

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... gle-market" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It may be significant this message is coming from both Corbyn and the TUC general secretary today. What good it does, I don't know. It could well be woolly lingo from the Labour leader but I think it's something more. It's important to remember things can change fast. Theresa May's GE three months ago and it's result was extraordinary, for example.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Clothing a big factor,apparently.(Can't say I've noticed)
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Clothing a big factor,apparently.
Please expand a bit
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... t-protests

Emmanuel Macron's presidency faces first major street protests
It's about time
Macron was beginning to worry
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

C l o t h I n g a b I g f a c t o r I n I n f l a t I o n r a t e, a p p a r e n t l y.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
HindleA wrote:CPI expected to be 2.8%,for reference.
I'll raise your 2.8% to 2.9% (just announced).
I want some peace and plenty, please
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:C l o t h I n g a b I g f a c t o r I n I n f l a t I o n r a t e.
Look at who's a wise-guy
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

citizenJA wrote:
Labour leader to tell TUC conference his vision of ‘jobs-first Brexit’ is in stark contrast to Tories’ ‘Shangri-La for bankers’

Jeremy Corbyn will call for the UK to retain “full access” to the European single market on Tuesday as he seeks to clarify Labour’s position on Brexit. It follows a BBC radio interview on Monday when Corbyn appeared to have softened the party’s position on staying in the single market. He said Labour was flexible as long as the UK was still able to trade within the single market after Brexit.

“We want a relationship which allows us to trade within the single market,” he said. “Whether that’s formal membership – which is only possible, I believe, if you are actually a member of the EU – or whether it’s an agreed trading relationship, is open for discussion. The outcome is more important than the nomenclature on the way.”

Frances O’Grady, the TUC general secretary, opened the group’s congress on Monday by calling for continued membership of the EU single market, saying it was the best way to protect British workers after Brexit. The TUC, which represents about 50 trade union organisations, officially stated that it was in favour of remaining in the single market after a meeting on Thursday.

- Jeremy Corbyn calls for UK to retain 'full access' to EU single market

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... gle-market" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It may be significant this message is coming from both Corbyn and the TUC general secretary today. What good it does, I don't know. It could well be woolly lingo from the Labour leader but I think it's something more. It's important to remember things can change fast. Theresa May's GE three months ago and it's result was extraordinary, for example.
The focus on the outcome rather than the nomenclature is quite right IMHO. And he's said that before.

In the end, the UK no longer has much control of whether we are a "member" of the Single Market or not. As we've seen here, it can become a totemic thing. Better to focus pragmatically on the good things the Single Market brings, and bad ones, and see what we can get of the good. If the EU decide we are still a member, so be it.

Let's leave flags, symbols, names to the Brexiteers and focus on what's actually important to ordinary folk.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Just following a polite request.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Clothing/footwear up 4.6% % on an annual basis.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@PaulfromYorkshire
Yes. I'm latching onto anything at all hopeful at this point. My judgement on this matter isn't reliable.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

citizenJA wrote:@PaulfromYorkshire
Yes. I'm latching onto anything at all hopeful at this point. My judgement on this matter isn't reliable.
I'd say nobody's judgement is reliable on this matter JA. We're in uncharted waters. That's why I think it's so important to respect a wide range of views.

Though of course some feel they know EXACTLY what is best :roll:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... dy-reveals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Teachers' pay in England down by 12% in 10 years, influential study reveals
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

136 amendments(so far)

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/201 ... rawal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/201 ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My judgement is reliably unreliable.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Or unreliably reliable,I can never work out which.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... court-case" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Monkey selfie: warring parties reach settlement over court case
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Flint abstaining in the end made her look even more ridiculous. These people just aren't very good at actual POLITICS, are they?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Just following a polite request.
:rock:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And none of the seven Labour names who actually voted with the government were remotely surprising. All getting a bit long in the tooth as well.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Flint abstaining in the end made her look even more ridiculous. These people just aren't very good at actual POLITICS, are they?
I tried putting myself in her shoes, you know? Tried to imagine the conversations, communications she's had with constituents, Labour peoples, media...she ought to wear more comfortable shoes, a nice pair of hiking/walking sandals, the good kind, not poor quality.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... servatives

Morning!

There does seem to be something interesting in what Grieve is saying. He's proposing some kind of Joint Committee to effectively triage the legislation that needs reviewing and decide whether it should be referred to the House or whether, in fact, it is safe to let Whitehall just get on with it.

Given where we are, this may be the best possible outcome and something I believe May will struggle to avert. Even the Labour "rebels" would surely fall in line for such a thing.

[Apart from Kate Hoey probably]
Just got back. Yes, what Grieve has had to say is encouraging, if he can get enough Tories behind him, some significant amendments could be made that would align with what the opposition would want, which is much more scrutiny and a say on the final deal. I really hope it doesn't go through without those changes. Even with those changes, though, the scope for abuse is going to be pretty high.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ONS Statistical bulletin:Index of private housing rental prices (IPHRP) in Great Britain: August 2017
Release date:
12 September 2017

Private rental prices see steady growth in Great Britain

Between January 2011 and August 2017, private rental prices in Great Britain increased by 15.1%, strongly driven by the historical growth in private rental prices within London.
When London is excluded, private rental prices increased by 11.1% over the same period.
(cJA bold)

I don't know, even with London excluded that's one hell of a rent increase within six years.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

May's former policy chief [Nick Timothy] suggests bartering security cooperation for good Brexit deal (Politics Live, Guardian)
Such a grubby idea (although not a new one) that Theresa May might just go for it. Especially since it seems to pre-suppose that our security is better than "their" security. "Brexiters" should love it.

Edited - brackets
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 12 Sep, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.katebelgrave.com/2017/09/its ... n-systems/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Welfare reforms" were to lead to rent reductions.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:"Welfare reforms" were to lead to rent reductions.
How's that going then?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:Just got back. Yes, what Grieve has had to say is encouraging, if he can get enough Tories behind him, some significant amendments could be made that would align with what the opposition would want, which is much more scrutiny and a say on the final deal. I really hope it doesn't go through without those changes. Even with those changes, though, the scope for abuse is going to be pretty high.
Absolutely!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"You can’t continue to have a benefits system where a successful application is about an applicant’s ability to prevail, rather than an applicant’s needs."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Waffle.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 12 Sep, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Dominic Grieve unfortunately hasn't taken long to revert back to Tory type, arguing that the Tories are entitled to seek majorities on key committees, citing 1974 as precedent, but Andrew Sparrow over at the G live blog has caught him out on that one:
The House of Commons library has this morning published a briefing (pdf) on the new selection committee ahead of tonight’s vote. It explains what happened in the 1970s in some detail, and it suggests that Grieve’s account of what happened in the past is rather partial.
Or just plain wrong. Labour started as a majority in Oct 1974, this Tory government aren't:
There have been three occasions in relatively recent history when the government had no majority.

After the February 1974 election, the government did not have a majority. Even number of government and opposition members were appointed to committees.

In October 1974, the Labour government secured a narrow majority at the election. Having lost its majority by April 1976, in May 1976 it accepted that it was no longer entitled to a majority on committees.

In January 1995, following the suspension of a number of members, the Conservative party technically lost its majority but argued that as it had not lost seats at by-elections or as a result of defections, it should continue to have a majority on committees.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

From the man who brought you "without a bullet being fired" (still my low point of 2016, in spite of fierce competition).

Don't know the context, don't care. It stands alone as a testament to his arrogance, hypocrisy and general air of invulnerability - the latter almost justified given a totally supine, complicit media obsessed with false equivalency.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Oh, and fuck this "hot take". Hard.

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

House of Commons Library
Committee of Selection
Published Monday, September 11, 2017

Motions to appoint the Selection Committee are scheduled to be debated on 12 September 2017.
This House of Commons Library Briefing Paper provides some background information on the Committee of Selection,
which has been appointed in previous Parliaments, and on the membership of legislation committees when the Government did not have a majority

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... y/CBP-8085" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Oops...sorry, Willow904, didn't see your post before posting mine
There's a link to a paper on the Parliamentary website I've posted
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where is the world's most walkable city?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

NonOxCol wrote:Oh, and fuck this "hot take". Hard.

Not too much appreciation for this line in the comments ;)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:Dominic Grieve unfortunately hasn't taken long to revert back to Tory type, arguing that the Tories are entitled to seek majorities on key committees, citing 1974 as precedent, but Andrew Sparrow over at the G live blog has caught him out on that one:
The House of Commons library has this morning published a briefing (pdf) on the new selection committee ahead of tonight’s vote. It explains what happened in the 1970s in some detail, and it suggests that Grieve’s account of what happened in the past is rather partial.
Or just plain wrong. Labour started as a majority in Oct 1974, this Tory government aren't:
There have been three occasions in relatively recent history when the government had no majority.

After the February 1974 election, the government did not have a majority. Even number of government and opposition members were appointed to committees.

In October 1974, the Labour government secured a narrow majority at the election. Having lost its majority by April 1976, in May 1976 it accepted that it was no longer entitled to a majority on committees.

In January 1995, following the suspension of a number of members, the Conservative party technically lost its majority but argued that as it had not lost seats at by-elections or as a result of defections, it should continue to have a majority on committees.
Thank you this is really useful info.

They all sound fair to me. Even the last one. Despite their suspensions, it was fairly clear what views the suspended members were representing.

Even numbers then?