Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th December 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Re: Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th December 2017

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Blair should keep out of it because he is very unpopular and many people think he is a liar and he has very little remaining credibility

And actually, we are partly in this position because of his legacy from his last few years in power and a poor Labour campaign run by his old mate Alan Johnson (yes remember him - Columbo's wife!).

Cameron and Osborne said plenty during the campaign - it was just that they made a mess of it
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

"Columbo's wife" - very good!
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Another sad loss

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 14161.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Colleagues at Brunel also recalled his penchant for practical jokes, including arriving at his 80th birthday party celebrations on a scooter propelled by fire extinguishers.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Lost Soul wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Oh and if Blair really cares about Brexit, the best service he can provide to the cause is to SHUT UP.
I don't know
I think this country has had quite enough of 'shutting up'.

We're in this position because not enough has been said.
He just isn't the right person to say it, I'm afraid.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:His oft repeated policy is to ignore me yet know what I have posted,there will be no apology,ignored or otherwise.
I was referring to Tony B.'s jumper present
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ames Melville‏
@JamesMelville

Fair play to @Ed_Miliband.
This is his official Christmas card.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enough to make an old woman's heart race.... :lol: :lol:
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Sat 16 Dec, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Stephen Collins on David Davis, enjoy.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... is-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AngryAsWell wrote:ames Melville‏
@JamesMelville

Fair play to @Ed_Miliband.
This is his official Christmas card.

Enough to make an old woman's heat race.... :lol: :lol:
They were complaining about it on The Last Leg, because he hasn't sent them one. They did that pic when he was on the show, lovely innit.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRKQWOLWAAExKLf.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Lost Soul wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Oh and if Blair really cares about Brexit, the best service he can provide to the cause is to SHUT UP.
I don't know
Yes, you're right, no question
Blair's contributions are likely a problem, not a help
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

How to post a .jpg ???
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

frog222 wrote:How to post a .jpg ???
Instructions here frog222: viewtopic.php?p=1638#p1638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Lost Soul wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Brexit: Can Leavers and Remainers call a Christmas truce?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-polit ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Probably not :

Anna Soubry receives messages calling for her to be hanged as a traitor

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... tor-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm respecting the referendum result less and less every day...
The entire 2016 EU referendum was poorly done from its start. Respecting and honouring that result doesn't have to be the way Tory government are using it
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Find a post with a successful link of any kind in it and hit respond.
Note how it's configured, the formatting characters, insert your own carefully deleting other commentators' content.
I also cut and paste notes kept on my desktop and refer back to them.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

refitman wrote:
Instructions here frog222: viewtopic.php?p=1638#p1638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for this
I often lose track of my bookmarks and can't find them then become frustrated navigating the website in search of something then get distracted. It's well set up, the website, I've no criticism of it. It's me.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've bookmarked the post with asterisks and capital letters, refitman
Thank you for your patience with me
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Lost Soul wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
I don't know

I'm with you on that.

There's literally no politician who doesn't have massive groups of people hating them for various reasons.

Clegg? Coalition traitor.
Gordo? Bankrupted the country.
Osborne? Austerity bastard.
Sturgeon? Divisive nationalist.

By that logic, "Commie" Corbyn should "shut up" as well. We need to hear more from him!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Lost Soul wrote:
citizenJA wrote: I don't know

I'm with you on that.

There's literally no politician who doesn't have massive groups of people hating them for various reasons.

By that logic, "Commie" Corbyn should "shut up" as well. We need to hear more from him!
Blair, Clegg and Osborne are maybe THE most unpopular politicians in Britain today.

That they are also at the centre of all those "EXCITING MOULD BREAKING NEW CENTRIST PARTY" journalist w*** fantasies is rather an unfortunate juxtaposition.

By way of contrast Sturgeon, Corbyn and even Brown are hated by many - but a significant number *will* listen to what they have to say. Unlike the above.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Not all politicians are the same
it's in a few peoples' interests cultivating apathy and antipathy within the general population towards all of them, regardless of their deeds
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

'let's not pay attention or vote for any of them, that'll show them'
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Now I know what an ampersand is too ;-)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: I'm with you on that.

Blair, Clegg and Osborne are maybe THE most unpopular politicians in Britain today.

That they are also at the centre of all those "EXCITING MOULD BREAKING NEW CENTRIST PARTY" journalist w*** fantasies is rather an unfortunate juxtaposition.

By way of contrast Sturgeon, Corbyn and even Brown are hated by many - but a significant number *will* listen to what they have to say. Unlike the above.[/quote]

I don't think people turn against something because there's a politician they don't like who supports it. Lots of people who voted Leave hate Nigel Farage, after all. But what Leave did was have (and get coverage for) different sorts of people featured prominently. Gisela Stuart, Labour MP and German!, gave them something they didn't have. It worked.

And, let's face it, it's not going to be a popular revolt that brings about Soft Brexit. It's going to be persuading politicians. Presumably Blair and Osborne can get a hearing with politicians. Loads of Tory and Labour MPs would happily swap them (or a politician in their mould) for the party leaders they currently have. In terms of persuading Tory and Labour MPs currently going along with Hard Brexit that it's a bad idea, I'd say Osborne and Blair are about as good as it gets.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think Clegg is less important (though he's respected on EU stuff) because he's not bringing anything to the table that the current LD leadership isn't bringing. But Osborne and Blair, I think they do.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Which Parliamentary Titan is leading the fight back v Philip "Appeasement" Hammond?

It's David Jones.

No Dealers know they're fucked.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Letwin was still talking it up this morning, mind.

They haven't given up.......
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -gap-grows" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Social care postcode gap widens for older people
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Not the usual music posted here but just listen to the words this young boy (think he's 19) has written

Dave - Question Time

SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

I know most don't like Rentoul, but this is absolutely right, I'd missed when written

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/pmq ... 07401.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like social security, the cruelty is almost inexplicable as these are not big ticket expenses. A drop in the Brexit ocean.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I think Clegg is less important (though he's respected on EU stuff) because he's not bringing anything to the table that the current LD leadership isn't bringing. But Osborne and Blair, I think they do.

Osborne seems to have found his role though. He is a truly excellent editor of the Standard. He has made it important again.

Blair's carelessness about his own reputation was underscored by his money grabbing. He was an undoubtedly important figure though. Unlike Brown, who fades into nothing by the day.

It would have been better for everyone, including the Labour party, if Clegg had held Sheffield Halam.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

That is one view, another is that Osborne's editing of that paper is transparently and obviously geared towards his rather obsessive vendetta against the PM (and of course, I hold no brief for her) revealing the underlying pettiness and malevolence that was too often obvious during his time as Chancellor.

Brown is selective in his interventions, but that's one reason they normally resonate (his anti-Corbyn spiel falling flat two years ago an admitted embarrassing exception)

And you are right that Clegg should not have lost his seat this year, he should have done so in 2015. Not just because he deserved it after what happened in the previous 5 years, but because his then replacement would have been an excellent Labour MP who could have looked forward to representing Hallam for some time to come.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Was Louise Casey so necessary to reducing rough sleeping?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

See Paul Krugman on Brown. He was impressed.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Was Louise Casey so necessary to reducing rough sleeping?
Not sure but she has quite a history of homelessness/rough sleeping problems she has been involved with over many years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Casey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:That is one view, another is that Osborne's editing of that paper is transparently and obviously geared towards his rather obsessive vendetta against the PM (and of course, I hold no brief for her) revealing the underlying pettiness and malevolence that was too often obvious during his time as Chancellor.

Brown is selective in his interventions, but that's one reason they normally resonate (his anti-Corbyn spiel falling flat two years ago an admitted embarrassing exception)

And you are right that Clegg should not have lost his seat this year, he should have done so in 2015. Not just because he deserved it after what happened in the previous 5 years, but because his then replacement would have been an excellent Labour MP who could have looked forward to representing Hallam for some time to come.
Browns one intervention if any note was on the Scottish referendum. But I'm really talking about looking at him from an historical perspective. He didn't deserve Finkelstein's hatchet job, but as time passes the more bizarre it seems that the soft (headed) left put so much faith in him. Much more minor than Callaghan.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Out of interest SH, are there any Labour people - past or present - who you do like ?
#InnocentFace
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:I think Clegg is less important (though he's respected on EU stuff) because he's not bringing anything to the table that the current LD leadership isn't bringing. But Osborne and Blair, I think they do.

Osborne seems to have found his role though. He is a truly excellent editor of the Standard. He has made it important again.

Blair's carelessness about his own reputation was underscored by his money grabbing. He was an undoubtedly important figure though. Unlike Brown, who fades into nothing by the day.

It would have been better for everyone, including the Labour party, if Clegg had held Sheffield Halam.
Austerity Osborne will always be a dying Etonian duck to me .

Clegg got the coalition wrong , got screwed, but is still someone to be listened to . Blair tho I have reservations about the messenger , is worth listening to.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

This is a challenging read

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/Comme ... m-in-Syria" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AngryAsWell wrote:Out of interest SH, are there any Labour people - past or present - who you do like ?
#InnocentFace

Barbara Castle a personal favourite.

Almost anyone outside the Bennite strain.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I liked Jo Richardson. Met her - quite a character.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Barbara Castle kept popping up wanting more money spent on the main state pension. Cameron took that one on. I'm only glad it took till 2015 to go down that route, or else we'd be heading for Southern European public finances.

Yes, I know most pensioners aren't rich.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Barbara Castle kept popping up wanting more money spent on the main state pension. Cameron took that one on. I'm only glad it took till 2015 to go down that route, or else we'd be heading for Southern European public finances.

Yes, I know most pensioners aren't rich.

It is the other goodies (NI in particular) that is the problem.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:Now I know what an ampersand is too ;-)
one of my favourite words, ampersand
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:That is one view, another is that Osborne's editing of that paper is transparently and obviously geared towards his rather obsessive vendetta against the PM (and of course, I hold no brief for her) revealing the underlying pettiness and malevolence that was too often obvious during his time as Chancellor.

Who was standing for Labour in 2015? (my memory is getting worse) and any reason they did not stand again ?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Oliver Coppard
Unsuccessful in following years candidature for Sheffield Brightside.(Gill Furniss)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Pensioner poverty increasing,residualisation of the benefit system,taken with the atrocious lack of investment in social care/housing/accounting for the extra costs of sickness/disability has consequences,regardless of particular age.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

OliveClough‏
@CloughOlive
Following Following @CloughOlive
More
Even Mail Online reporting this! -
"Brexit has been dealt a fresh blow after the majority of Britons want now to remain in the EU, a new poll has revealed"

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I agree with SH in this particularity.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Call off Brexit bullies or face defeat, Tory peers tell Theresa May
Conservatives in House of Lords warn prime minister party rebellion ‘will spread’ if the whips keep using strong-arm tactics (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... heresa-may
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PTO