Saturday 23rd to Wednesday 27th December 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 23rd to Wednesday 27th December 2017

Post by AngryAsWell »

Research and analysis

HM Treasury analysis: the long-term economic impact of EU membership and the alternatives (Archived)
Analysis of the long-term economic impact of EU membership and the alternatives has been published by the Treasury.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ternatives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are being circulated on twitter as though they are the ones Hammond is "supposed" to have had done. But the date is 18 April 2016 so must surely be Osborne work ? The ones he based his crippling budget forecasts on ?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Britain Elects‏
@britainelects

% of Labour voters who'd be "delighted or pleased" if the Labour Party said it would...

Stop Brexit: 63%
Proceed with Brexit: 22%

via @YouGov, 17 - 19 Dec

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Stop Brexit' - easier said than done

That bloody referendum......
Indeed. Lots of people there would likely settle for Soft Brexit.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I will stop this soon, but...
Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 22.52.01.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 22.52.01.png (65.72 KiB) Viewed 4106 times
If you look and see him there, he is there and nowhere else.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The Bow Group, a rightwing Conservative pressure group whose patrons include Norman Lamont and John Redwood, said: “Heseltine has made clear it is his aim to prevent Brexit at all costs, including the sabotage of his own party and nation, the Conservative party must therefore withdraw the whip and end the inevitable continuation of his sniping from inside the tent.”
Brilliant. Opposing Brexit is now "sabotaging the nation".

Hestletine said Corbyn (minus Brexit) might be better than where we're heading with May . I can see why you might be annoyed at him with your Conservative party hat on, which is what the whip is all about. But the "nation"? They really don't know the difference.

He might as well get himself chucked out.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
The Bow Group, a rightwing Conservative pressure group whose patrons include Norman Lamont and John Redwood, said: “Heseltine has made clear it is his aim to prevent Brexit at all costs, including the sabotage of his own party and nation, the Conservative party must therefore withdraw the whip and end the inevitable continuation of his sniping from inside the tent.”
Brilliant. Opposing Brexit is now "sabotaging the nation".

Hestletine said Corbyn (minus Brexit) might be better than where we're heading with May . I can see why you might be annoyed at him with your Conservative party hat on, which is what the whip is all about. But the "nation"? They really don't know the difference.

He might as well get himself chucked out.
Kevin Maguire

@Kevin_Maguire

Free speech to be imposed only on students and universities when Tories demand Michael Heseltine’s expulsion for his Brexit worse than Labour comments. Loving the irony
9:56 PM - Dec 27, 2017
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Any evidence to support that perchance?
Or even an "in my opinion" would help.
That would be the obvious fact that Corbyn and McDonnell set all Labour policy including this.

They have some constraints, but Corbyn's promises for party democracy now look really funny. The big problem is Brexit, where he is out of step with the membership.

As for Starmer, he is just a patsy. Of no significance.
I just see it that they're all being cautious for the same reasons. I don't think that makes Starmer a "patsy" really.

"Party democracy" should never be taken too seriously.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

'Party democracy' sounds like regular referenda to me .

And we all know how successful they can be .
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Yeah, you need "leadership" too, for want of a better word.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Daniel Hannan‏Verified account
@DanielJHannan
When I was a student, my college chaplain was @NigelBiggar: a humble, clever, attentive, unostentatious, decent and God-fearing man. That Oxford's Corbynites should be targeting him tells you everything you need to know about them.
Oh man. The "unostentatious" Nigel Biggar wrote about his "empire" project in The Times, despite it not being an obvious burning issue of church and state.

"Targeting" here means writing a letter criticising him. No calling him rude names, nor saying his funding should be taken away.

How many "Corbynites" were there involved? Out of 58, only 2 Labour members were unearthed, and 1 is in Momentum.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I'm not sure I'd be doing quite the same as Corbyn on Brexit- as I may have said a few times.

But he's the leader and earned it in the General Election as well as the party elections. He's within his rights to lead.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I'm not sure I'd be doing quite the same as Corbyn on Brexit- as I may have said a few times.

But he's the leader and earned it in the General Election as well as the party elections. He's within his rights to lead.
and that is absolutely fair...I have no desire to support a monolithic party but there is a way to do it
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I'd forgotten about this ex Telegraph blogs goon.
Nile Gardiner‏
@NileGardiner
It is worth remembering that @barackobama strongly opposed Brexit and warned the British people they would be at the "back of the queue" for free trade deal with the US if they dared vote to leave the EU. Hardly the words of a friend.
How's it looking now?

Can anyone top that? They can.
Tim Montgomerie ن
@montie
4h4 hours ago
It was David Cameron’s responsibility, he encouraged the US president to belittle Britain; definitely the lowest moment of his premiership
Why is everything so personal with these fools?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

""Galbraith’s definition of leadership once again applies: “All of the great leaders have had one characteristic in common; it was their willingness to confront unequivocally the major anxiety of their people in their time. This, and not much else, is the essence of leadership”.

The Tories won’t give their people leadership. And they may be out sooner rather than later. Jeremy Corbyn must confront the major anxiety of the people. His time is now.""

zelo street

Just to say NN :-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PS http://zelo-street.blogspot.fr/2017/12/ ... rexit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder what the possibilities are for an early election, but its late .nn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

frog222 wrote:""Galbraith’s definition of leadership once again applies: “All of the great leaders have had one characteristic in common; it was their willingness to confront unequivocally the major anxiety of their people in their time. This, and not much else, is the essence of leadership”.

The Tories won’t give their people leadership. And they may be out sooner rather than later. Jeremy Corbyn must confront the major anxiety of the people. His time is now.""

zelo street

Just to say NN :-)
In the comments, someone says something along the lines of "Corbyn should forget the 'won't be allowed to nationalise bollocks'" of being in the eu.
Suely there must be a risk that some possible trade agreements would be even more restrictive (as with ttip.)
so staying in, or negotiating a good deal (is Starker) might be a better option for county, Corbyn & Labour anyway (at least in short term).