Satur- & Sun-day 30th & 31st Dec 2017 & Monday 1st Jan 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Satur- & Sun-day 30th & 31st Dec 2017 & Monday 1st Jan 2018

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning!
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Satur- & Sun-day 30th & 31st Dec 2017 & Monday 1st Jan 2

Post by refitman »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Morning!
Morning. I was wondering how to title today's thread. Well done!
Last edited by refitman on Sat 30 Dec, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bloody autocorrect
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Following Sky's reference to Trump last night.
(Amongst other writings, too strange too divulge...) I found an old link to the Washington Post.
Note : This came to me in a dream and I have transcribed it as faithfully as possible, as my hair turned slowly white with horror . The drawing above is the most faithful representation I have found of the being that whispered these things to me in an unspeakable and ancient tongue .
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/co ... 770e8f238b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I, Cthulhu, endorse Donald Trump"
We will win, together, Cthulhu and Trump. We will win, and Cthulhu shall prevail . In his house at R ’ lyeh , dead Cthulhu lies dreaming a new dream and that dream is the American Dream .
Remember : A vote for Trump is a vote for Cthulhu . Ph ’ nglui mglw’ nafh C ’ thulhu R’ lyeh wgah ’ nagl fhtagn Trump.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

refitman wrote:
Yes it was quite a challenge :lol:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://careindustrynews.co.uk/2017/12/w ... ialnetwork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Warning that tens of thousands will go without much needed care and support in 2018
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 30 Dec, 2017 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
refitman wrote:
Yes it was quite a challenge :lol:
Even bigger one if you'd included the Tuesday holiday up here! :D
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

We added an extra day to the Christmas holiday thread, after all ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Forget to mention that 'er indoors had one of those tumour check blood tests done the other day. The first time they did one it was over 4,000...this time it was 13.5. Anything under 30 is classed as negative. So...a scan on Tuesday, two chemo sessions to go, and she'll be back to normal.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Forget to mention that 'er indoors had one of those tumour check blood tests done the other day. The first time they did one it was over 4,000...this time it was 13.5. Anything under 30 is classed as negative. So...a scan on Tuesday, two chemo sessions to go, and she'll be back to normal.
Now that's a Christmas present. Great news RoT!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Excellent news.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 30 Dec, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yes, some real seasonal cheer 8-)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@RogerOThornhill

Pleased to hear the news. That's a really good way to enter the New Year!
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Great news Ron. Hopefully you two can return to a more normal life.
And also hopefully, Rafa and the lads can get me a birthday present at 3:00 against Brighton & HA.
Best wishes to all you nesters and thanks for the time spent putting up interesting links.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -charities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Government accused of withholding £2.5bn of Olympic legacy assets from charities
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I know the competition can be stiff at times, but Natalie Nougayrede really is the absolutely worst journalist employed by the Graun.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I know the competition can be stiff at times, but Natalie Nougayrede really is the absolutely worst journalist employed by the Graun.

Quite. Unless there is an opposition prepared to oppose the Tory Brexit, it will happen faux de mieux. Corbyn is the only one who could construct a coalition around, say, customs union and single market membership, and he has no interest.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well we agree (even if for differing reasons) that her latest piece is spectacularly delusional, but she is as terrible as that generally.

(some might suggest Simon Jenkins for the above title, and I can certainly see why, but he does have the occasional spasm of lucidity)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

-x + te?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oui.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well we agree (even if for differing reasons) that her latest piece is spectacularly delusional, but she is as terrible as that generally.

(some might suggest Simon Jenkins for the above title, and I can certainly see why, but he does have the occasional spasm of lucidity)
Everyone always thinks therir own nation has more influence than it has. She just happens to be French.

You see it on here with people arguing we should renegotiate the terms of the EU. Spectacularly delusional as to the prospects for that.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Difficult given targeted discrimination on false basis(not to say highly hypocrital) but I don't recognise that as a contention from anybody here,certainly not as framed.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Storm Dylan not expected to disrupt Hogmanay events

"Hogmanay events around the country are not expected to be seriously affected by the arrival of Storm Dylan on Sunday."
The fourth storm of the season, Dylan will bring winds of 70 to 80mph to parts of Scotland including Edinburgh, the Lothians, the Borders and Dumfries and Galloway.

Storm Dylan will track across Ireland late on Saturday and maake its way to southern Scotland in the early hours of New Year's Eve.
A yellow weather warning for strong winds has been issued from around 2am on Sunday until around 3pm, with forecasters warning of the risk of "injuries and danger to life from flying debris".
However, experts add, the "worst of the weather" should be over by the time Hogmanay celebrations are in full swing.
Hardy breed, I'd be hiding inside.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

I see Labour is running again with abolishing hospital parking charges.

There has to be some kind of rationing system. It is just free lunch stuff yet again. Grim.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:I see Labour is running again with abolishing hospital parking charges.

There has to be some kind of rationing system. It is just free lunch stuff yet again. Grim.
Yeah, not great. Everybody does this sort of stuff though.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

For Fuck sake,not a question of free lunch it is not being penalised,say three times a week for a therapy without which you would die in a few weeks,of course you can have hospital transport at vast more expense and posters suggest using DLA -which a weeks worth for purpose would have got us there not back once.Shared care should be the preferred option,how exactly do you facillitate that when penalised on a daily basis.I don't have a car or ever driven and it cost more when in hospital.when not quite willingly of course and of course if over a month all extra costs allowances are effected.We should be actively supporting such things.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well we agree (even if for differing reasons) that her latest piece is spectacularly delusional, but she is as terrible as that generally.

Everyone always thinks therir own nation has more influence than it has. She just happens to be French.

You see it on here with people arguing we should renegotiate the terms of the EU. Spectacularly delusional as to the prospects for that.
Pretty much everything that "centrist dads" have said was delusional has now happened.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

Pretty much everything that "centrist dads" have said was delusional has now happened.

Not sure I follow? What has happened that centrist dads said was delusional? Have you examples? (NB the triumphant victory of a Corbyn led Labour party doesn't as yet count, though it could still happen of course).

Speaking as a paid up centrist dad, as I've said loudly and often, my opposition to Corbyn, and now as a result Labour, is based on his views and how disastrous he will be both for the UK and the longterm prospects of the Left, not on whether he would win.
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Sat 30 Dec, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:I see Labour is running again with abolishing hospital parking charges.

Scotland & Wales have both ended hospital parking charges, except for pfi funded facilities, so some degree of free parking must be feasible.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

tinybgoat wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Scotland & Wales have both ended hospital parking charges, except for pfi funded facilities, so some degree of free parking must be feasible.

Yeah. Sounds great

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1471 ... _hospital/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... -1-3912395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cardiffandvaleuhb.wales.nhs.uk/news/28716" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this story is interesting on this (if unreflective)

https://www.sundaypost.com/news/uk-news ... king-hell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

free lunches are great.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Of course it is feasible,somewhat stunned at the nonsense,though after the widespread ignorance of social care evidenced perhaps I shouldn't be.Really not hard,facillitate cost saving arrangements as much as possible for both economic and in social justice terms.And don't give me the "extra costs accounted for"bollox it takes months at best and as above can be more expensive in hospital if sensible progression is the aim,which it should be IMHO.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

CARE NOT CAR PARKS!!!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It was only after repeated legal.battles that the Government relented on the paying for a hospital bed in own home as default in some situations Anybody that has experience knows that things that most people think is "free" and/or comes under NHS doesn't necessarilly or at all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:CARE NOT CAR PARKS!!!
I like that a lot
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-evening, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The monitor I use finally died this morning and I'm using a different device loaded with a different operating system.
I took the opportunity to sluice my work space and introduce another gadget to my area.
I created a clean spot.
Ten thousand things rose up needing attention, cleaning or binning.
I'm without my computer desktop images and customised folders I created.
It's surprisingly disorientating.
Of course, once a new monitor is found I'll have my work back but for now I don't.
I miss my pictures and programs.
Little things I can do with one system I can't with the other.

Thank you for reading this.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

SpinningHugo wrote:
tinybgoat wrote: Scotland & Wales have both ended hospital parking charges, except for pfi funded facilities, so some degree of free parking must be feasible.
Yeah. Sounds great

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1471 ... _hospital/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... -1-3912395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cardiffandvaleuhb.wales.nhs.uk/news/28716" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.sundaypost.com/news/uk-news ... king-hell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

free lunches are great.
Interesting examples,
Glasgow Queen Elizabeth & Edinburgh Royal Infirmary were both allowed to continue charging, because they were pfi hospitals, not sure what situation is now.
The Cardiff one looks like the problem is more administration - removing charges doesn't mean that some kind of rationing isn't going to be needed.
The important principle is that it shouldn't be born by the patients.

edit: realised you started out saying some kind of rationing system was needed.
Last edited by tinybgoat on Sat 30 Dec, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Cja I should think so to.It was an arduous task indeed,but I managed it.

;)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

tinybgoat wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
tinybgoat wrote: Scotland & Wales have both ended hospital parking charges, except for pfi funded facilities, so some degree of free parking must be feasible.
Yeah. Sounds great

free lunches are great.
Interesting examples,
Glasgow Queen Elizabeth & Edinburgh Royal Infirmary were both allowed to continue charging, because they were pfi hospitals, not sure what situation is now.
The Cardiff one looks like the problem is more administration - removing charges doesn't mean that some kind of rationing isn't going to be needed.
The important principle is that it shouldn't be born by the patients.
As with all car usage charges, the beneficiary (ie the car owner) should pay, not me (or other patients who cannot afford to drive).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:As with all car usage charges, the beneficiary (ie the car owner) should pay, not me (or other patients who cannot afford to drive).
I would agree if buses to and from hospitals were very much better than they are.

I use buses on a daily basis, but if I had a sick relative in hospital I would definitely drive. The bus is far too infrequent, unreliable and slow.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Off for a break,sadly the bloody ignorance is,astounding.So on this one occasion the targeted ignoring or pretendng to has worked.P/A's with cars,people unable access buses unaided etc.Think broader and be more reflective is my clarion call.I'll be back.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 30 Dec, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:As with all car usage charges, the beneficiary (ie the car owner) should pay, not me (or other patients who cannot afford to drive).
I would agree if buses to and from hospitals were very much better than they are.

I use buses on a daily basis, but if I had a sick relative in hospital I would definitely drive. The bus is far too infrequent, unreliable and slow.

Fine. If you want to do that do. I don't see why others who cannot afford that should pay for your convenience.
MsChin
Backbencher

Post by MsChin »

What part of ‘we’re not all able / well enough to jump on a bus to hospital’ do you not understand, SH.

My particular bugbear with hospital car park charges is when you’ve dashed to A&E without any money / bank card because like, it was an emergency involving your nearest & dearest. This has happened to me more than once.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

MsChin wrote:What part of ‘we’re not all able / well enough to jump on a bus to hospital’ do you not understand, SH.

My particular bugbear with hospital car park charges is when you’ve dashed to A&E without any money / bank card because like, it was an emergency involving your nearest & dearest. This has happened to me more than once.
If you're rich enough to run a car you can choose to go by bus or pay the reasonable parking fee.

Other people unlucky enough not to have that choice, because of poverty or otherwise, should not have to subsidize you.

I don't like these middle class subsidies.

Because I'm leftwing.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Oh well done. I know the relief you must be feeling.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

SpinningHugo wrote:
MsChin wrote:What part of ‘we’re not all able / well enough to jump on a bus to hospital’ do you not understand, SH.

If you're rich enough to run a car you can choose to go by bus or pay the reasonable parking fee.

Other people unlucky enough not to have that choice, because of poverty or otherwise, should not have to subsidize you.

I don't like these middle class subsidies.

Because I'm leftwing.
And, as mentioned above, when it's an emergency and you don't have time to wait 45 mins for a bus?

Not everyone who has a car is swimming in money. You might want to take some time to put yourself in others positions.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

You're the same with trains. Pump up the prices, only the middle class use them and they can afford to pay through the nose. The poor can just not travel, 'cause they don't need to go anywhere.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It's currently less expensive to own and operate a motor vehicle than it is to rely upon public transportation. Mr citizen and I pay a price for not keeping a motor vehicle.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Indeed the train was the only reasonable way to travel any distance.To go to hospital for visiting ,given necessary specialisation a bus,a train and usually taxi.We had hospital transport /sometimes taxi (£50-£100 a journey) but used PA and car when we could,of course it isn't just the "patient" that may or may not use the car park and as above staying and attending to the needs relieves staff,may be essential during the treatment/appointment.So according to SH I was middle class,subsidised but only partly.It is nonsense of course.We even saved up and went to Liverpool,dialysis gear on board,by taxi.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

HindleA wrote:Indeed the train was the only reasonable way to travel any distance.To go to hospital for visiting ,given necessary specialisation a bus,a train and usually taxi.We had hospital transport /sometimes taxi (£50-£100 a journey) but used PA and car when we could,of course it isn't just the "patient" that may or may not use the car park and as above staying and attending to the needs relieves staff,may be essential during the treatment/appointment.So according to SH I was middle class,subsidised but only partly.It is nonsense of course.We even saved up and went to Liverpool,dialysis gear on board,by taxi.
Well said Hindle.