Wednesday 3rd January 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Wednesday 3rd January 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 3rd January 2018

Post by HindleA »

Q.Am I showing signs of grumpy oldgititis by being annoyed at bin placements blocking my drive even though I haven't got a car? Not that I get many visitors or many of then park there but it has been known.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Of course I could easlly move them.....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

(Definately black and burgundy)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Also left pavement unusable by w/c/prams,don't they have lessons any more on these issues of national import?.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Bin placement monitor"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

""Bottom line, all govt. grants, incl the General (DfE) Grant, Local Authority Grant and, (for some reason only separated out in 2016), the capital grant is £53,506,076.00.

Divide by 5 for a per annum average figure = £10,701,215.20

Divide by 600 for a per pupil per annum figure* – £17,835.36

(Although I think it has only been past 2 years that they have had full capacity of 600, so I was being ultra-generous to Toby in my assumption there).""
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

The story so far...The Times printed an article saying the old passport was nothing like the colour of the new one in that it was black.

Home Office, in an extremely testy response, state that it was never black.

However...
Faisal Islam‏Verified account
@faisalislam
Follow Follow @faisalislam
More
Oh dear. The official new Government online passport application service also refers to a picture of the old passport as “black” or blue - it is truly Orwellian to suggest “never been black” - it’s literally on the form.
:lol:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

It was in the early 20th century that passports as we would recognise them today began to be used. The first modern British passport, the product of the British Nationality and Status Aliens Act 1914, consisted of a single page, folded into eight and held together with a cardboard cover. It was valid for two years and, as well as a photograph and signature, featured a personal description, including details such as "shape of face", "complexion" and "features". The entry on this last category might read something like: "Forehead: broad. Nose: large. Eyes: small." Remarkably, some travellers claimed to find this dehumanising. Following an agreement among the League of Nations to standardise passports, the famous "old blue" was issued in 1920. Apart from a few adjustments to its duration and security features, the old blue remained a steady symbol of the touring Briton until it gradually began to be replaced by the burgundy-coloured European version in 1988.
From a 2006 Guardian article A brief history of the passport
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

OK, library.

Catch you later.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

HM Passport Office issued leaflet "Applying for a passport" refers to "old blue " as above ie.the term they use,they say it was blue.I think it was the dye they used;so it isn't burgundy it is red....
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Morning.

Interesting thread here on constitutional matters:

George Peretz QC
@GeorgePeretzQC
1. It has been suggested that the Government wants to create enough new peers to ensure that the EU Withdrawal Bill passes through the HoL unscathed.
7:21 pm · 2 Jan 2018
The general gist is that the government's voluntary choice to not start another Parliament until after March 2019 has removed the option of using the Parliaments Act to force through Brexit legislation. However, because the Parliaments Act is available and it was the government's choice to forgo the opportunity to use it, asking the Queen to make peers to get legislation through the Lords could prove a huge constitutional grey area - it would likely be challengeable legally.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:HM Passport Office issued leaflet "Applying for a passport" refers to "old blue " as above ie.the term they use,they say it was blue.I think it was the dye they used;so it isn't burgundy it is red....
I'm sure you're right that they were referred to as blue because of the dye used, but it is nevertheless hilarious that the government should excitedly declare we are getting "blue" passports back that no one can actually remember being blue, rather than "British" ones because, of course, they can't say that because they never stopped being British in the first place. It just so beautifully sums up how difficult it is for the government to triumphantly "take back" stuff we never actually lost.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Just thinking, and I should probably know this, but what happened to Eoin Clarke?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

The point I failed to make above was that our sovereign-defining goodgoodwe'rebritish passports that we've fought for the right to get back were imposed upon us by an international organisation demanding that certain standards be met and over-ruling national sovereignty.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:
HindleA wrote:HM Passport Office issued leaflet "Applying for a passport" refers to "old blue " as above ie.the term they use,they say it was blue.I think it was the dye they used;so it isn't burgundy it is red....
I'm sure you're right that they were referred to as blue because of the dye used, but it is nevertheless hilarious that the government should excitedly declare we are getting "blue" passports back that no one can actually remember being blue, rather than "British" ones because, of course, they can't say that because they never stopped being British in the first place. It just so beautifully sums up how difficult it is for the government to triumphantly "take back" stuff we never actually lost.
Good post. Yes, we never lost sovereignty, we just shared it.

If we do manage to stay in the EU, it would be good to introduce something into the National Curriculum to help young people understand this, rather than allowing the press to distort it so badly.

Who would now believe that the creation of the Single Market and the expansion to the East were seen at the time as "wins" for the UK?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Oh well, as long as the passports still got that nice motto in old French on the front.
Dieu et mon droit ;)
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit- ... g-britain/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The incredible shrinking Britain"
Perhaps Brexit is not the moment for British politicians to admit they are swimming against inevitable tides of geopolitics. People busy recreating the past rarely have viable ideas for the nation’s future.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 38906.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour has demanded Theresa May reverse the appointment of Toby Young to the board of the new universities regulator because of what it said was a history of “ homophobia and misogyny ”.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Interesting time line :
Simon Fraser‏Verified account
@SimonFraser00
Retweeted Financial Times

Welcome to cloud cuckoo land #Brexit

AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Danny Blanchflower‏Verified account
@D_Blanchflower
Following Following @D_Blanchflower
More
Time to demand that @toadmeister is removed from his regulator post and for academics & university staff and unions to refuse to meet with him or cooperate with him because of the disgraceful things he has said about disabled children & equality he is totally unfit & unqualified

AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Just thinking, and I should probably know this, but what happened to Eoin Clarke?
Sees to have deleted his twitter account
https://twitter.com/search?f=users&q=Dr%20Eoin%20Clarke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

He blocked me ages ago.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bin update.

Windy here,some are talking to each other,discarding contents and even falling over,so I have tidied up and repositioned.I think people have got the wrong day,definately for black as Monday was a B/H and it usually goes to the next day than usual(ie.tomorrow)Being on my todd,even with a smaller bin I only need to put it out about once a month.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

We're all wrong, you know. Here's the proof -
Toby Young is ideal man for university watchdog, says Boris Johnson

Foreign secretary backs controversial appointment, as government is criticised for exaggerating Young’s qualification (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... is-johnson
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 03 Jan, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:We're all wrong, you know. Here's the proof -
Toby Young is ideal man for university watchdog, says Boris Johnson

Foreign secretary backs controversial appointment, as government is criticised for exaggerating Young’s qualification Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... is-johnson
Kathy Burke's reply to Boris:
kath

@KathyBurke

He's a cunt and so are you. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
9:24 AM - Jan 3, 2018
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Brackets - (see post above).
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Alexander Clarkson

@APHClarkson
4h4 hours ago
More
Remarkable that UK pundits don't seem to have clocked that TPP isn't even a stable framework. The US has walked out. The Canadians show signs of backing out. The Japanese are struggling to keep it going. The Australians are sceptical. And the Chinese are working to subvert it

Thread.

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Semi joking about bin placement,it really is a pain in the arse and/or hazard given the slalom pavement road/thing and cars parked on pavements,wazzocks who clear the road by piling snow on the pavements,people that block do not put luggage here areas ......continued on page 92
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Always liked Kathy Burke tbh :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]huayAma6y0Y[/youtube]
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Post by Bonnylad »

Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Always liked Kathy Burke tbh :D
Do you know Nil By Mouth?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Always liked Kathy Burke tbh :D
Do you know Nil By Mouth?
Great movie.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

A good piece in the guardian on trump and Israel

Why Trump’s funding threat to Palestinians is even more dangerous than Jerusalem move
His speech recognising Jerusalem as the Israeli capital breached international consensus and UN resolutions. But the latest move – a threat to cut funding to UNRWA, the UN agency that supports Palestinian refugees, and to the Palestinian Authority – is more dangerous still, demonstrating a lack of understanding of the delicate mechanics that help maintain relative peace between Israelis and Palestinians.
Although the article doesn't dare make the obvious next step, which is that wrecking the peace process is the entire point of all of this. He doesn't want to maintain or develop peace in the middle east, he wants Israel to win on its own terms.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

And in a good example of having people inside the tent pissing out instead of outside pissing in...

Trump Tower meeting with Russians 'treasonous', Bannon says in explosive book
Donald Trump’s former chief strategist Steve Bannon has described the Trump Tower meeting between the president’s son and a group of Russians during the 2016 election campaign as “treasonous” and “unpatriotic”, according to an explosive new book seen by the Guardian.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Burke won the Best Actress award at the 1997 Cannes Film Festival for her role in the gritty drama Nil by Mouth. Burke was so convinced she would not win that she made no plans to attend the ceremony; when told shortly beforehand she had won, she found her passport was out of date"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:"Burke won the Best Actress award at the 1997 Cannes Film Festival for her role in the gritty drama Nil by Mouth. Burke was so convinced she would not win that she made no plans to attend the ceremony; when told shortly beforehand she had won, she found her passport was out of date"
... and decidedly black :twisted:
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Of course !
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Toby on deleting tweets and not judging him by his record
Here’s what Toby was saying about his tweets yesterday:

I’ve composed over 56,000 tweets and, if someone is prepared to spend hours trawling through them, it’s not altogether surprising if they come up with a few sophomoric, politically incorrect remarks. I regret these, obviously. I hope people will judge me on my actions, not on silly things I’ve tweeted or written in my 30-year career as a journalist

He's 54 years old. He joined Twitter eight years ago. Calling his now deleted tweets 'sophomoric' is cowardly nonsense - this isn't some rubbish he was banging out at 2am when he was a nineteen year old undergraduate.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And some of them would embarrass even your average sophomore......
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/j ... don-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BFI abandons plans for £130m national centre for film and television
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

[youtube]BeF5FjmM-mU[/youtube]
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Very good indeed

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and also

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/s ... ort-policy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pandering, empty, ill-thought out policies.

Still, who needs a decent opposition when we can have toby Young in charge of Universities?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Windsor council leader calls for removal of homeless before royal wedding

Council’s Tory leader Simon Dudley is demanding police use legal powers to clear the area of homeless people by 19 May (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... al-wedding
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Bush is decent as usual, Walker is terrible - patronising and condescending when the case they are making is far from proven.

No surprise that you liked it SH ;)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:Very good indeed

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and also

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/s ... ort-policy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pandering, empty, ill-thought out policies.

Still, who needs a decent opposition when we can have toby Young in charge of Universities?
Not much here that wasn't covered in yesterday's FTN discussions.

Except that you use it as an opportunity to have a dig at Corbyn. Why bother? We all know your agenda!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I do not know who is the sadder character...Hugo or Toby?