Wednesday 10th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Re: Wednesday 10th September 2014

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

From James Forsyth:
Hear there'll be some much needed morale boosting news for the union this afternoon.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:From James Forsyth:
Hear there'll be some much needed morale boosting news for the union this afternoon.
Could that be the latest indyref poll that Smithson has been tweeting about all morning?
Working on the wild side.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Cameron was 16/1 to be replaced as leader by the end of the year just days ago, he is now 4/1, still can't see it though..

Mods, any idea what the ''article'' or whatever is below this thread? Urge anyone not to click on any of the links.
It looked like spam to me, so it's gone. And the user will also be gone in a few minutes...

Ernst,that chnl love thing is posting the same stuff under the 45 reasons to vote labour thread,just so you know.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Ed Miliband's speech in Scotland is apparently being broadcast on BBC News24 at 2pm today. Whether it will be covered in full, though, I know not.
They'll probably cut away and put on a week old edition of ''Click'' or something, Brown's speech Monday night wasn't covered in full, pathetic.
Cant find BBC News24 - search just takes me to BBC - any link?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Kates having twins and we get one each ?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Could that be the latest indyref poll that Smithson has been tweeting about all morning?
There's been a few teasing tweets about poll, 10.30 this evening it comes out doesn't it?

From George Eaton, this time:
What was it that first attracted Rupert Murdoch to the man who's pledged to cut corporation tax by 3%?
Indeed. This must be getting deadly serious, Kay Burley has parked herself on an Edinburgh street.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

AngryAsWell wrote:
Kates having twins and we get one each ?
;) Ed speaking now, see how long it takes for them to cut away.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Ed Miliband's speech in Scotland is apparently being broadcast on BBC News24 at 2pm today. Whether it will be covered in full, though, I know not.
They'll probably cut away and put on a week old edition of ''Click'' or something, Brown's speech Monday night wasn't covered in full, pathetic.
Got it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

AngryAsWell wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcnews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Try this AAW..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Hah, multitude of links.

Ed ''we don't say we'll get rid of the bedroom tax, we vote to get rid of the bedroom tax'' Quite.

Robert, Krankies comes out against independence?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ed is saying it much better than I did earlier - Solidarity.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Darling on negative campaigning:
If I saw you step out in front of a bus and I shouted a warning, would that be scaremongering, would it?
Probably Alistair, probably, you're a dour old soul, much better to trust a guy with a smirk tattooed on his chops.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

AngryAsWell wrote:Ed is saying it much better than I did earlier - Solidarity.
I agree, thought he came across well & what he said made sense. But I'm saddened to see people on Twitter, including friends I usually respect, dismissing it as "dire"; ah well, I'm English, I'm not allowed an opinion on this apparently.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AngryAsWell wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Sorry - I've only just seen your post. I watched it on TV (BBC News24 - which is now on Channel 130).

Edited to add -
That's Channel 130 on Freeview. (It was on Channel 80 until a few days ago.) But, looking upstream, I think you're probably already sorted.
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 10 Sep, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ed Miliband got in a couple of well-placed digs about the SNP's no-show on the "bedroom tax" vote and corporation tax reductions.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Have a lot of respect for Brown, I was angry at how he was treated in the dying days of his premiership, the revulsion shown to him, at times downright hatred by people not fit to lace his boots, I didn't give a monkeys that he was dour, or that he supposedly shouted at his colleagues, I wanted a politician, to organise things and people, so a large part of me hopes he finds he finds redemption (wrong word, cannot think of another) in the campaigning he does.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... eemer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote: They'll probably cut away and put on a week old edition of ''Click'' or something, Brown's speech Monday night wasn't covered in full, pathetic.
Sorry - I've only just seen your post. I watched it on TV (BBC News24 - which is now on Channel 130).

Edited to add -
That's Channel 130 on Freeview. (It was on Channel 80 until a few days ago.) But, looking upstream, I think you're probably already sorted.
Yes - sorted - thank you :)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Have a lot of respect for Brown, I was angry at how he was treated in the dying days of his premiership, the revulsion shown to him, at times downright hatred by people not fit to lace his boots, I didn't give a monkeys that he was dour, or that he supposedly shouted at his colleagues, I wanted a politician, to organise things and people, so a large part of me hopes he finds he finds redemption (wrong word, cannot think of another) in the campaigning he does.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... eemer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Agreed ,I rather like dour.We've moved from".not walking by on the other side" to kicking people in the nether regions and blaming them for hurting our feet.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 17m
Police and crime commissioners would be scrapped under Liberal Democrat manifesto proposals, party announces.
Another thing the yellow bellies voted for and now want to disown.

Jeeze - their manifesto would be more honest if it was just presented as a bartering list

Support repealing bedroom tax and PCCs - cost - at least one ministerial post with full limo rights and a share in a country crash / party pad ...

and so on
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Just moving off the indy debate, (I don't have strong opinions on that), and onto Kate's bump. When's it due? It must be during the election campaign I'd have thought?
And did anyone read or watch the CMS select committee chat with Rona Fairhead, the new chair of the BBC Trust? She seems very sure of her entitlement. Not a Tory in the party political sense but her husband is. Seems like a shocking appointment to me.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Prescott ‏@johnprescott 21m
Hey @jimwaterson. You should have stayed for something to eat. Scottish fish and English chips! #BatterTogether pic.twitter.com/colGS0IxAa
BatterTogether.jpg
BatterTogether.jpg (63.41 KiB) Viewed 20352 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 5m
Lib Dems promise in manifesto to scrap elected police commissioners: now entering comedy zone of eating cake, having cake absurdity.
Got to agree with him - just this once.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Anyone else hear Mark Harper on Radio 4 earlier admitting there are disgracefully long waits for PIP assessments and claims to be decided. But - hey ho - don't worry, he's sorting it all out so that soon there will only be a maximum wait of 26 weeks (yes, that's right - 26 weeks, otherwise known as 6 months) to be assessed for PIP. And by this time next year that will have gone down to ..... drum roll ...... just 16 weeks (yes, that's right, 16 weeks or just 4 months).

What planet is this man living on that he thinks that is acceptable treatment for those people who are supposedly the most vulnerable and facing additional challenges and hardship without the right support? But it's OK for them to go without any support for that length of time according to him and his government.

My radio is still in one piece - just.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Away from Scotland, it has been announced that the Heywood/Middleton by-election will be held on October 9 - same day as Clacton.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
JackPranker wrote: Although not by Panelbase.

Would it be fair to say that Scottish independence is viewed rather negatively amongst the FTN denizens?

Rebecca, as the token Scot in my office I tend to be the focal point for discussion on this matter. It's viewed rather distantly in London, although the recent poll has sparked greater interest as secession becomes less unlikely.
I think - for me - it feels rather like Scotland walking out the door and deserting the UK. All this "government we didn't vote for" gets my goat because lots of the UK didn't vote for them either, its only the LibDems that handed the government of this country to the tories. Now, those who I thought were our closest friends and allies against the tories are walking away and leaving us to sink or swim in tory mire. That hurts, and if the election IS post postponed for a year I will never forgive Scotland for what they will have done to "us" the people of the UK, the sick, disabled, the unemployed who need ride of this "government" asap. Not that it will matter to Scotland. The referendum campaign has left a bitter taste, and I now understand that the Scots hate us, something that had never occurred to me before.
So good luck to them, and if their new country falls down around their ears my only reaction will be - Oops bit of a wrong un there, but you were warned.

(Sorry if that's harsh or simplistic but I still have my John Major (spit) rage palpations and will probably regret writing that later)
I must confess, I'm suspicious of yes supporters who try to conflate England with Tory, and I hope that Scots are rather more sensible than that. What surprises me is the supine acceptance I've seen that independence in and of itself is an unrestrained good and that any issues can be swept under the carpet or dealt with as necessary. If independence happens and the consequences are the ones that I foresee, the outcome for ordinary Scottish people could be pretty dreadful. For yes supporters to deride the very real potential problems - that might well affect services and living standards very noticeably - as 'project fear' is insulting.

If Scots wish to leave, they know how to vote, but it is a fearfully desperate step.
Unfortunately the political division rhetoric is coming right from the top
Salmond frames independence fight as ‘Team Scotland v Team Westminster’
Scottish first minister repeatedly uses terms as leaders of Westminster parties arrive in Scotland for day of campaigning
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... estminster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Away from Scotland, it has been announced that the Heywood/Middleton by-election will be held on October 9 - same day as Clacton.
Do we know who the candidate is yet?
(Ukip could make a bit of headway here) :(
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Oh yeah, heard this morning, BBC I think, that results will start coming in by 1am, with the full result of the referendum being known by 7am.

Am away that night, even so I will be up all night, these things have to be done.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Rebecca wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Cameron was 16/1 to be replaced as leader by the end of the year just days ago, he is now 4/1, still can't see it though..

Mods, any idea what the ''article'' or whatever is below this thread? Urge anyone not to click on any of the links.
It looked like spam to me, so it's gone. And the user will also be gone in a few minutes...

Ernst,that chnl love thing is posting the same stuff under the 45 reasons to vote labour thread,just so you know.
Thanks - now removed.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: It looked like spam to me, so it's gone. And the user will also be gone in a few minutes...

Thanks - now removed.
Sorry Ernst,but it's back again as a political thread,posted 3.24pm.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Rebecca wrote: Sorry Ernst,but it's back again as a political thread,posted 3.24pm.
And the user is listed as 'online'
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Rebecca wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:

Click into Board Index and Slepaycle is posing more spam :(
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Anyone else hear Mark Harper on Radio 4 earlier admitting there are disgracefully long waits for PIP assessments and claims to be decided. But - hey ho - don't worry, he's sorting it all out so that soon there will only be a maximum wait of 26 weeks (yes, that's right - 26 weeks, otherwise known as 6 months) to be assessed for PIP. And by this time next year that will have gone down to ..... drum roll ...... just 16 weeks (yes, that's right, 16 weeks or just 4 months).

What planet is this man living on that he thinks that is acceptable treatment for those people who are supposedly the most vulnerable and facing additional challenges and hardship without the right support? But it's OK for them to go without any support for that length of time according to him and his government.

My radio is still in one piece - just.

Watched him at the DWP Select Committee this morning.From personal experience,it cannot be overestimated as to receiving this allowance in a timely fashion.It is for the extra costs associated with disability and a passport to needed support.Some Councils,are having to carry out their own assessments for eligibility to support they can provide in lieu of a decision.This is particularly important when a sudden disability occurs,there already is a waiting period of course.It's no good blithely stating that other benefits are available(are they really given the delays in ESA),or saying they will be backdated as delays cause harm,a false "economy" and damage which is not always recoverable,beyond the purely financial.It's a cockup or deliberate,dependent on view of epic proportions and totally unbloody necessary,there was never any need for a new allowance,just a tweaking of DLA without the "need" of 675 million pounds being wasted.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I see the spammer is from Saudi Arabia.

Can't they do something useful - like telling their government not to send Wahabiist preachers over here to brainwash young Muslims?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Rebecca wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
Thanks - now removed.
Sorry Ernst,but it's back again as a political thread,posted 3.24pm.
Cussed little fucker, isn't he? Will ban in a minute.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: It looked like spam to me, so it's gone. And the user will also be gone in a few minutes...

Click into Board Index and Slepaycle is posing more spam :(
Not now he can't. The old FTN system used to allow banning IP addresses. If this one does too, I'll ensure that he isn't going to sneak back in. What a lot of trouble to go to to post spam on a board with limited reach! I understand when I see 'I make $50000000 a week in my spare time flicking bogies at my PC' posts on boards with thousands of users and readers, but here?

Oh well, that's bots for you.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I see the spammer is from Saudi Arabia.

Can't they do something useful - like telling their government not to send Wahabiist preachers over here to brainwash young Muslims?
Arf!
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Take no notice, they've only bluffing.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... ge-drought" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -says.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bloody hell.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

He's an arse isn't he? Never trust anyone with a permanent smirk on their chops.
howsillyofme
Backbencher

Post by howsillyofme »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
He's an arse isn't he? Never trust anyone with a permanent smirk on their chops.

Hubris...just hope the fall comes before the vote. If afterwards a lot of people are going to wish they had seen through him earlier
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

What a cheap shyster Salmond is. Most unpleasant little squirt.

''First Minister reportedly taunted the Westminster government over whether an independent Scotland should take on its share of the national debt, saying: “What are they going to do – invade?”''

Am normally against military intervention but in this case - hey, let's do it if that's what the :toss: threatens :fire: Maybe get some money's worth from Trident.

Nuke Scotland, now there's a thought. :lol:
Sorry Jack P, don't blame us, your man is a provocative twat.

Still think No will win though, so boots on the ground won't be necessary and collapse of a very stout party, the Wee Fraud.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Paul Krugman is on C4 in a couple of hours, more on what he thinks may happen to Scotland.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0 ... d=tw-share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yahyah, hope so, of course at the end of the day it's up to the Scots, it's this utopia vision they all have that gets on my tits, idealists.. And yeah, he is a right twat, a question evading, smirking charlatan who promises all things to all people.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Plaid Cymru spreading porkies maybe?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... es-7746648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bollocks!
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Little Napoleon, I like that, a lot.
howsillyofme
Backbencher

Post by howsillyofme »

Right then, who is going to join this

http://www.theguardian.com/membership/2 ... membership" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't seem to offer much for those outside London, and even for those who do it seems a bit crap.

Do you get the chance to question Watt and Wintour?....would also like to see if Julian Glover is lurking about somewhere seeing his life as a Tory speech writer has gone a bit tits up
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Take no notice, they've only bluffing.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... ge-drought" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just wait until that sucker's opened up for comments. I fully expect yes supporters to invade it to accuse any and all lenders concerned about the outcome to be branded as traitors.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Paul Krugman is on C4 in a couple of hours, more on what he thinks may happen to Scotland.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0 ... d=tw-share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yahyah, hope so, of course at the end of the day it's up to the Scots, it's this utopia vision they all have that gets on my tits, idealists.. And yeah, he is a right twat, a question evading, smirking charlatan who promises all things to all people.

I'm ashamed to admit that a couple of years ago I thought a loud mouthed bruiser like Salmond may be what Labour needed in a leader.

Having watched and listened to him over the last year or so, he now makes my skin creep and I value Ed the more.

How can anyone think a decent foundation for anything, let alone a country, can be created by threatening to renege on debts and sucking up to Murdoch ?

How many of Salmond's disciples [rightly] complained about Blair and Murdoch, but now turn a blind eye to their glorious leader and the old goat's mutual a*** licking ?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

howsillyofme wrote:Right then, who is going to join this

http://www.theguardian.com/membership/2 ... membership" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't seem to offer much for those outside London, and even for those who do it seems a bit crap.

Do you get the chance to question Watt and Wintour?....would also like to see if Julian Glover is lurking about somewhere seeing his life as a Tory speech writer has gone a bit tits up
Erm, having perused it earlier, I think I'll pass.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Survation Poll now released at 10pm, half hour earlier, unless it breaks earlier, think that happened on Monday?