Tuesday 9th January 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 9th January 2018

Post by HindleA »

?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cameron put that decision off as long as he could. He knew it was stupid.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
Corbyn refused

https://labourlist.org/2016/03/corbyn-r ... on-the-eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and it wasn't just Cameron he wouldn't be seen alongside

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/corb ... -wrvq7c75c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Strange really, considering who Corbyn has been quite happy to share platforms with over the years.

so your contention is that if Corbyn had share platforms with these people it would have convinced more people to vote Remain than did?

Can I just ask if you have any sliver of evidence....un petit peu?

I would contend the absolute opposite to be honest....no more evidence that that but I would be happy to back mine over yours.....looking at how popular Corbyn is with Blair supporters and vice versa
I don't know if it's possible to produce evidence on this really.

It might have worked, but how does Cameron answer the "You're here now, with a terrorist sympathizer, he's OK now, is he?"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

On a side note, has anyone noticed Cushelle and Velvet toilet roll disappear from their local supermarket shelves or is it just here?

Feels like a conspiracy as both Tesco and Sainsburys have suddenly stopped stocking them.

Appreciate not strictly political but then again it might be - early Brexit consequences, loo roll shortages :D

Just curious as to whether it's a local phenomenon or more widespread.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
Corbyn refused

https://labourlist.org/2016/03/corbyn-r ... on-the-eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/corb ... -wrvq7c75c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Strange really, considering who Corbyn has been quite happy to share platforms with over the years.

so your contention is that if Corbyn had share platforms with these people it would have convinced more people to vote Remain than did?

I would contend the absolute opposite to be honest....no more evidence that that but I would be happy to back mine over yours.....looking at how popular Corbyn is with Blair supporters and vice versa

It might have worked, but how does Cameron answer the "You're here now, with a terrorist sympathizer, he's OK now, is he?"

so why did the poster make such claims then if there is no evidence......the poster never demonstrates any doubt in their comments so I was just curious to see if there was anything to back it up

I agree with these things there is no real evidence either way....we will form our own opinions....opinions, not facts!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:@HSOM1

Thanks for the long posts. Interesting perspectives.
Hear, hear
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Willow

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-09-27/velv ... er-forest/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:On a side note, has anyone noticed Cushelle and Velvet toilet roll disappear from their local supermarket shelves or is it just here?

Feels like a conspiracy as both Tesco and Sainsburys have suddenly stopped stocking them.

Appreciate not strictly political but then again it might be - early Brexit consequences, loo roll shortages :D

Food is a lot more expensive
Toilet tissue brand outages I'm unable to report
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

citizenJA wrote:
Willow904 wrote:On a side note, has anyone noticed Cushelle and Velvet toilet roll disappear from their local supermarket shelves or is it just here?

Food is a lot more expensive
Toilet tissue brand outages I'm unable to report

I believe there are some left over Daily Mails at a train station near you......not sure if they are velvety though!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Izal?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've PTOd - (with much-needed help).
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:@Willow

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-09-27/velv ... er-forest/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks!

I felt a bit silly asking but should never have doubted the range of Flythenest's collective knowledge. That certainly clears that up. Though also exposes the lack of genuine competition these days if the withdrawal of one company can halve loo roll choice.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:

Izal?
The threat of which would surely have turned a few leave votes to remain. Alan Johnson definitely missed a trick there. :D
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Willow I don't know if reason/related just came up on "looking".
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
Corbyn refused

It is really a question of whether someone is prepared to spend political capital for a cause or not.

Miliband by joining fores with Cameron and Clegg expended some of Labour's political capital in defence of the Union. This, without doubt, damaged Labour in the 2015 election north of the border as the SNP could present themselves as the insurgents, opposed to the rest.

Similarly, if Corbyn had appeared on the same platform as Brown, Blair and Cameron in defence of the UK's remaining in the EU he would have spent some of his own political capital in defence of the greater cause. Some of his own "outsider" image would have been tarnished buying support for Remain.

Miliband put the greater good above party. Corbyn did the opposite.

You see the same on this board, with some of those who see politics as a sport who *hated* putting a cause, even such an important one as the Union, above the party.

I think Miliband was right, and Corbyn was wrong. But then I voted for Miliband, and didn't for Corbyn, because Miliband led a Labour party I could support. Classic Centrist Dad.
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Tue 09 Jan, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Fracking firm gets green light to test for oil at Balcombe … again

Approval by West Sussex council comes as another shale company plans a legal challenge against Scotland’s fracking ban (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ombe-again
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Cameron was hopeless and had burned all his bridges for his own personal gain.

Come the day, possible allies across the continent, including Labour, were simply unable to stand with him, because, in simple terms, he had shafted them all in the past.

It really, really was Cameron's fault from start to finish.

If Cameron really was so politically toxic, how did he manage to win the 2015 election after 5 years of appalling austerity.

[Don't tell me, the MSM.]

Cameron was a rather skilled politician, see the hash May makes of the same job daily for proof.

[No doubt a fool will now say that my saying Cameron was a skillful politician will deliberately pretend they misread this as an endorsement of Conservative policies but that cannot be helped.]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Without being too indelicate I tend to have a shower/douche,I have the advantage of the shower area being half the room and a "wet" one anyway.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
Fracking firm gets green light to test for oil at Balcombe … again

Approval by West Sussex council comes as another shale company plans a legal challenge against Scotland’s fracking ban (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ombe-again
Hydraulic fracturing in the UK, McVey DWP and Health & Social care in the hands of J Hunt
too much sorrow
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

the Daily Mail has a right to publish their whatever
there's no right making others stock it, read it or support it
declining to read or advertise in the Daily Mail isn't censorship
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Hunt has always had ultimate responsibility for adult social care,though I understand the wariness he will oversee the green paper.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

As ever SH responding to own made up points others never made.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]UsoNaUQ_kAc[/youtube]
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

HindleA wrote:As ever SH responding to own made up points others never made.
I have no idea what he is on about....perhaps it is his equivalent of Blackadder's sticking two pencils up his nose, putting his underpants on his head and saying wibble, wibble!

To be fair I found Blackadder made more sense
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

t is really a question of whether someone is prepared to spend political capital for a cause or not.

Miliband by joining fores with Cameron and Clegg expended some of Labour's political capital in defence of the Union. This, without doubt, damaged Labour in the 2015 election north of the border as the SNP could present themselves as the insurgents, opposed to the rest.

Similarly, if Corbyn had appeared on the same platform as Brown, Blair and Cameron in defence of the UK's remaining in the EU he would have spent some of his own political capital in defence of the greater cause. Some of his own "outsider" image would have been tarnished buying support for Remain.

You see the same on this board, with some of those who see politics as a sport who *hated* putting a cause, even such an important one as the Union, above the party.

I think Miliband was right, and Corbyn was wrong. But then I voted for Miliband, and didn't for Corbyn, because Miliband led a Labour party I could support. Classic Centrist Dad.

It would have been a bit easier for everyone if you had said 'no, I don't have any evidence whatsoever but am going to write a load of irrelevant wibble anyway'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

He does have points,to be fair,shorn of the needless abuse and guff.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Hunt has always had ultimate responsibility for adult social care,though I understand the wariness he will oversee the green paper.
Of course, there's a good chance he'll double (at least) his unpopularity once he is directly associated in the public mind with the failure of not just the NHS, but Social Care as well.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Cameron was hopeless and had burned all his bridges for his own personal gain.

Come the day, possible allies across the continent, including Labour, were simply unable to stand with him, because, in simple terms, he had shafted them all in the past.

If Cameron really was so politically toxic, how did he manage to win the 2015 election after 5 years of appalling austerity.

Cameron was a rather skilled politician, see the hash May makes of the same job daily for proof.

[No doubt a fool will now say that my saying Cameron was a skillful politician will deliberately pretend they misread this as an endorsement of Conservative policies but that cannot be helped.]
I think it may have had something to do with the SNP taking all the seats in Scotland and the Lib Dem vote collapsing and so letting the Tories take a lot of their seats

Cameron was a lying incompetent who took us out of the EU....well done mate!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

HindleA wrote:He does have points,to be fair,shorn of the needless abuse and guff.

They can be described as 'points' yes.......just not requiring the adjective good!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

SpinningHugo wrote:It is really a question of whether someone is prepared to spend political capital for a cause or not.

Gosh this sounds clever, except that lots of us advancing the Corbyn approach (I can't speak for Corbyn himself of course) advocate it precisely because we think it's the best way to avoid Brexit.

And we are not stupid people, before you have another go.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:It is really a question of whether someone is prepared to spend political capital for a cause or not.

Gosh this sounds clever, except that lots of us advancing the Corbyn approach (I can't speak for Corbyn himself of course) advocate it precisely because we think it's the best way to avoid Brexit.

'sounds clever' - really, Paul?

I think it just a lot of hot air dressed up as wibble (I like that word.....I shall use it a lot today, as Malcolm Tucker did with NMFP)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I guess your confusion Hugo, is because Labour has found itself in the centre ground on Brexit.

I would hazard a guess that most Brits never really knew, and still don't, whether we should leave or remain. It's not a binary thing. And having a political party representing that messy middle is both principled and pragmatic.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@citizenJA

Night night.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article ... s-children" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toby-young-remains-threat-nations-children

An uncompromising piece!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:

Won in 2015 by a few things.

Wages rising for about a year before- see we undid Labour's mess blah. May called an election with wages falling, and paid the price. Very rare to call an election with falling wages, apparently.

Skillful use of the Lib Dem "shield". Didn't like the Coalition? You wait till we get free of them.

The SNP.

Shameless bribing of pensioners at huge cost. That alone was where the majority came from.

The referendum promise got lots of UKIP defectors back.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article ... s-children

toby-young-remains-threat-nations-children

An uncompromising piece!
That's very good.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Hard to get a word in edge-wise here tonight.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

You really think we can avoid Brexit? I don't.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Shameless "apparent" bribing of pensioners/future pensioners clarification.I would be wary of the presentation rather than detail.Similarly the social care musings last GE (with eventual cap) was a vast increase in passing on ability for in a home situation.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And the Webbian changes were cost neutral.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Chances are I will get less,like many others,than before.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

HindleA wrote:Shameless "apparent" bribing of pensioners/future pensioners clarification.I would be wary of the presentation rather than detail.Similarly the social care musings last GE (with eventual cap) was a vast increase in passing on ability for in a home situation.
Sorry, my bad. I meant relative bribing within the priorities of public austerity, with the triple lock. Lots of bad policies for pensioners there too.

IIRC, he got a 4.5% swing from Labour.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Realise I am pain in the arse on this,but I don't see it as any different than the "client State" stuff from the Right.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

HindleA wrote:Realise I am pain in the arse on this,but I don't see it as any different than the "client State" stuff from the Right.
You're not a pain in the arse, I put it badly.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Takes two to be fair,I knee jerked.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Labour won the Indie referendum for the union - and for the government - and then cameron immediately shat all over the labour party, much as he spent five years shitting on the lib dems - measuring up their constituencies for curtains for the new tory mps whilst relying on the sitting lib dem votes to stay in. He would have done exactly the same if labour had helped him win his stupid pointless and idiotically simplistic EU referendum.

Labour's leadership campaigned for remain votes in labour heartlands every night. Labour voters appear to have turned out to vote remain in the roughly the same proportions as lib dem, snp and green voters. This whole shitbag is cameron's and the conservative's catastrophe. And the country's, obviously, but not Labour's.
I still believe in a town called Hope
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I see my MP Rishi Sunak has got a job at the DCLG, he writes a column for our local rural weekly, which is not entirely uncontroversial. I don't usually read it but my eye was caught by the title.
http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.c ... eneration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:sick:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

HindleA wrote:Takes two to be fair,I knee jerked.
And there is, as we well know, no jerk like a knee jerk.
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Did you know elephants are right or left tusked?

Pto
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.