Wednesday 10th January 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 10th January 2018

Post by gilsey »

Corbyn criticises Esther McVey promotion but condemns online abuse
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... line-abuse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope all Labour MPs are looking forward to abusing her in person in the HoC.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

This made me chuckle

http://uk.businessinsider.com/jeremy-co ... son-2018-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeremy-corbyn-promises-to-lift-virgin-trains-daily-mail-ban-richard-branson-2018-1

Will it induce Dacre to say something nice about Jezza?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh dear...

Toby Young - The REAL Reason He Went

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2018/ ... -went.html
What Tobes knew, but many of his cheerleaders clearly did not, was that the contents of the latest Private Eye magazine (#1461, on sale at all good news outlets for just £2.00, and the story is on Page 11) would become known as Tuesday wore on. Those contents include the observation “Last year Young was invited by psychologist James Thompson to attend a secretive conference at UCL called the London Conference on Intelligence”.

Tobes himself recalled “Attendees were only told the venue at the last minute … and asked not to share the information”. The reasons can be found in an article at London Student, which tells “A eugenics conference held annually at University College London by an honorary professor, the London Conference on Intelligence, is dominated by a secretive group of white supremacists with neo-Nazi links”. Oh dear, Tobes!
Did he not think "Wait. This is all a bit odd. Maybe not a great idea to speak at this"?
The culture wars are going well, it seems :P
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

*unt has some nerve.
Hunt criticised Labour for seeking to “politicise” the pressures on the NHS, saying the party was making a “serious mistake”. He said the last time the NHS faced a really difficult winter was in 2009. At the time Andrew Lansley, the then shadow health secretary, refused to attack the government over the matter, treating it as an operational issue, Hunt said. He went on:
Andy Burnham, who was the health secretary, actually thanked him for his measured tone so that together we can give a reassuring message to the public. Sadly, I cannot say that today.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

What Tobes knew, but many of his cheerleaders clearly did not, was that the contents of the latest Private Eye magazine (#1461, on sale at all good news outlets for just £2.00, and the story is on Page 11) would become known as Tuesday wore on. Those contents include the observation “Last year Young was invited by psychologist James Thompson to attend a secretive conference at UCL called the London Conference on Intelligence”.

Tobes himself recalled “Attendees were only told the venue at the last minute … and asked not to share the information”. The reasons can be found in an article at London Student, which tells “A eugenics conference held annually at University College London by an honorary professor, the London Conference on Intelligence, is dominated by a secretive group of white supremacists with neo-Nazi links”. Oh dear, Tobes!
Did he not think "Wait. This is all a bit odd. Maybe not a great idea to speak at this"?
Did he attend or just get invited?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Did he attend or just get invited?
Attended by the look of it - says further down that he was there.

Tobes is keeping very quiet right now - no tweets in 3 days.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://londonstudent.coop/news/2018/01/ ... azi-links/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Among the speakers and attendees over the last four years are a self-taught geneticist who argues in favour of child rape, multiple white supremacists, and ex-board member of the Office for Students Toby Young.
So (if correct) he's attended at least one.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ah thanks. He's finished.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I saw some silly tweets on the Virgin/DM kerfuffle but this might be the favourite - an ex Gove SpAd.
jamie martin‏
@jamieamartin1
Follow Follow @jamieamartin1
More
Decision by @Virgin trains to ban @DailyMailUK sales on board is an abysmal attack on press freedom & viewpoint diversity. How dare they presume to choose for passengers what is acceptable to read? #PressFreedom
As one teacher who I follow said:

FFS PEOPLE CAN BUY IT AT THE STATION. Jesus Christ, calm down people.

:clap:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I saw some silly tweets on the Virgin/DM kerfuffle but this might be the favourite - an ex Gove SpAd.
jamie martin‏
@jamieamartin1
Follow Follow @jamieamartin1
More
Decision by @Virgin trains to ban @DailyMailUK sales on board is an abysmal attack on press freedom & viewpoint diversity. How dare they presume to choose for passengers what is acceptable to read? #PressFreedom
As one teacher who I follow said:

FFS PEOPLE CAN BUY IT AT THE STATION. Jesus Christ, calm down people.

:clap:
Yes, I don't understand the use of the word 'ban' here, that's not what's going on
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

<b> ITMA ! </b>

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -reshuffle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

crace of course :-)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Ah thanks. He's finished.
Is Young still director of New Schools Network?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
Is Young still director of New Schools Network?
For today at least.

I wish he'd gone for something that would show up the ludicrous nature of the NSN itself - like the report for which Nick Gibb himself wrote a foreward and spoke at the launch, after having been written by someone on secondment from a government department.

For a so-called "independent charity" that's pretty outrageous. All it did was to prop up a government position.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

you would both hope and expect so....in out current world where values seem to have been perverted then we will see

I did surmise a week or so ago whether he had over-reached. All of this has been in the public domaine but he was 'protected' by his media and political pals - the number of times he has been asked to smugly pontificate on the Daily/Sunday Politics and other current affairs programmes is well above the number it should have been (0)

Now, he has taken a step too far and what some of us have known for a while is being more critically appraised and there can only be one conclusion
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The odd thing is that there was a bit of a fuss a couple of months ago when Teach First put up two articles - one by Young on genetics and whether schools could change pupils lives given their background, and the other by Prof Sonia Blandford (CEO Achievement for All).

The TY one was taken down quite abruptly by Teach First who said that they'd rather not be associated with it.

Wonder why no-one at the DfE remembered that and thought "Wait. Someone stating a positive view on genetics and saying that schools can do little to improve pupils chances...maybe not the best choice eh"?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Minister to meet Vauxhall owner amid Ellesmere Port closure fears

Greg Clark expected to express concern to PSA chief executive in Paris talks over announcement of further 250 job losses at Cheshire plant

The business secretary, Greg Clark, has travelled to Paris for crunch talks with Carlos Tavares, the chief executive of Vauxhall-owner PSA, amid growing fears that the French firm will close its car factory in Ellesmere Port.

It has still not decided whether to build new models at the Cheshire plant, which employs 1,800 of its 4,500 UK workforce to build the Astra, amid uncertainty about the future of Britain’s trading relationship with the European Union. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... sure-fears
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]-Gi4tOrKphw[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42566393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pollution hotspots revealed: Check your area

(1-good)
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 10 Jan, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I came across this on Twitter and found it quite surprising. I thought everyone knew Gordon Brown donated all his money from public speaking to the charity he set up with his wife:
Anthony Barnett
@AnthonyBarnett
·
35m
Gordon Brown has just asked me to correct a bad mistake in Lure of Greatness where I claim he cashed in like Blair and Osborne. I have done so and apologised here on Facebook (link: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) facebook.com/AnthonyBarnett…
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/cor ... 49886.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

corbyn-labour-community-campaign-unit-transform-the-labour-party-again
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote:I came across this on Twitter and found it quite surprising. I thought everyone knew Gordon Brown donated all his money from public speaking to the charity he set up with his wife:
Anthony Barnett
@AnthonyBarnett
·
35m
Gordon Brown has just asked me to correct a bad mistake in Lure of Greatness where I claim he cashed in like Blair and Osborne. I have done so and apologised here on Facebook (link: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) facebook.com/AnthonyBarnett…
Fair play, that is quite an impressive email from Brown.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:This made me chuckle

http://uk.businessinsider.com/jeremy-co ... son-2018-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeremy-corbyn-promises-to-lift-virgin-trains-daily-mail-ban-richard-branson-2018-1

My local corner shop stopped stocking the Observer (apparently I was the only one that bought it). Maybe I should ask 'Tresa' to make them get it for me. :lol:
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:This made me chuckle

My local corner shop stopped stocking the Observer (apparently I was the only one that bought it). Maybe I should ask 'Tresa' to make them get it for me. :lol:

Why stop at the Wail ? In the interests of inclusivity let us have Der Stürmer too !