Friday 12th January 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Friday 12th January 2018

Post by refitman »

Just found out that my line manager's boss carries a signed photo of "Sainted Margaret" around with him. :sick:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

I know we don't always agree on the policies of the current Labour front bench, but I reckon they are doing a pretty good job of opposing

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... violations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

esther-mcveys-work-and-pensions-secretary-director-demolition-firm-health-and-safety-violations
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Some good news: http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/01/11/ka ... e-lawsuit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

katie-hopkins-refused-an-appeal-over-jack-monroe-lawsuit
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

refitman wrote:Just found out that my line manager's boss carries a signed photo of "Sainted Margaret" around with him. :sick:
good lord
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Davis and Hammond couldn't manage an audience with anyone in Berlin
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

All quiet on the Carillion front? I was expecting some sort of update on the situation.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Willow904 wrote: ...you know what, I'm really not keen on this whole weighing out exactly what I want and putting it in a paper bag malarkey...
"It's a bit over - is that ok?" (It was never "a bit under"). A tradition carried on at the cheese counter! :lol:
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

citizenJA wrote:Davis and Hammond couldn't manage an audience with anyone in Berlin
Now I'm seeing images of Emcee in "Cabaret"
And now presenting the Kit Kat Boys:
Here they are!
Bobby! Victor!
Or is it
Victor! and Bobby...
You know, there's really only one way to tell the
difference...
I'll show you later.

Hans (Oh Hans, go easy on the sauerkraut!)
Herman (You know what's funny about Herman?
There's nothing funny about Herman!)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Adita Chakraborty opines
The dirty secret of PFI and all government attempts to pass public services into the private realm is that the shareholders make profits while the taxpayers remain on the hook for any losses.
in an article about Carillion heading for bankruptcy.

I'm worried about this sort of dogma taking over the left. I'm sure lots of people really think we could nationalize Eddie Stobart and bank all the profits for the NHS.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:All quiet on the Carillion front? I was expecting some sort of update on the situation.
We'll be sent the invoice in due course
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Adita Chakraborty opines
The dirty secret of PFI and all government attempts to pass public services into the private realm is that the shareholders make profits while the taxpayers remain on the hook for any losses.

I'm worried about this sort of dogma taking over the left. I'm sure lots of people really think we could nationalize Eddie Stobart and bank all the profits for the NHS.
These companies are not private...they are almost completely funded by the state and are fully dependent on it. The state is also in trouble if they go under because the money is lost

Do we bail them out and, like we did with the banks, let them continue as before with little oversight - or should we take them into public hands?

None of these companies ever seem to be particularly competent - it seems that use of them is ideological
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm not sure about "lots of people". After all, Eddie Stobart and the like are not tax-payer funded. (I appreciate your comment was a sort of wry joke, however.)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I hope HindleA safely managed to navigate his way through the tradesman's entrance when he came home after work.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:

These companies are not private...they are almost completely funded by the state and are fully dependent on it. The state is also in trouble if they go under because the money is lost

Do we bail them out and, like we did with the banks, let them continue as before with little oversight - or should we take them into public hands?

None of these companies ever seem to be particularly competent - it seems that use of them is ideological
Some of it definitely is ideological.

Railtrack was about as pseudo-private as you can get, yet it went bankrupt. The shareholders lost their money. I don't see why Carillion should be any different.

I know they're important in your hometown, and I really hope it doesn't come to that. PFIs are often poor value- can we buy some of these back off them and save us a load of money, as happened with a couple of other PFIs?

It seems they are genuinely competent with the stuff they're doing for HS2, so hope they survive and do that. Even so, they're part of one short section, with two huge companies. Can't see that's all that much of a problem, but it would likely cost more if the contract had to be relet. Grayling (him again) likely shouldn't have let them bid, just wanted the cheapest cost to quote now.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I had them alarmed and fell over backwards in shock.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... er-setback" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... rn-tenants" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Laura Pidock on the frontbench.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Shadow Minister For Labour.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/appo ... d-pensions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Appointment of Peter Schofield as Permanent Secretary at the Department for Work and Pensions
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/bank ... nt-holders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Banks and building societies start immigration status checks on personal current account holders
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ts#history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DWP abstract of statistics – policies and statements

(Revised methodology part 213 /4/5 depending on method of calculation.)
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Railtrack was about as pseudo-private as you can get, yet it went bankrupt. The shareholders lost their money. I don't see why Carillion should be any different.

I know they're important in your hometown, and I really hope it doesn't come to that. PFIs are often poor value- can we buy some of these back off them and save us a load of money, as happened with a couple of other PFIs?

It seems they are genuinely competent with the stuff they're doing for HS2, so hope they survive and do that. Even so, they're part of one short section, with two huge companies. Can't see that's all that much of a problem, but it would likely cost more if the contract had to be relet. Grayling (him again) likely shouldn't have let them bid, just wanted the cheapest cost to quote now

Unfortunately not that competent in being solvent though.........if the Government saves them (which it probably will try to do) then the taxpayers should get assets to cover it....and the directors walk away with nothing
Last edited by howsillyofme1 on Fri 12 Jan, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... velopments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consultation outcome
Universal Credit experimental statistics: future developments
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ay-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin Rowson on 'shithole' countries
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Nottingham.Station has just been refurbished,when I say just bear in mind my concept of time.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:

It seems they are genuinely competent with the stuff they're doing for HS2, so hope they survive and do that. Even so, they're part of one short section, with two huge companies. Can't see that's all that much of a problem, but it would likely cost more if the contract had to be relet. Grayling (him again) likely shouldn't have let them bid, just wanted the cheapest cost to quote now

Unfortunately not that competent in being solvent though.........if the Government saves them (which it probably will try to do) then the taxpayers should get assets to cover it....and the directors walk away with nothing
Companies get into trouble for lots of reasons. I'm just saying the impression I got is that in terms of doing the HS2 work, they're competent.

There are state aid rules protecting the taxpayer, so I'm reasonably optimistic. I'd guess that the PFI contracts are worth a fair bit.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@tinybgoat hopefully you are not getting anymore nightmares,if it is any consolation the reality is far worse.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I take a little framed picture of my better half everywhere,including work-fridge/freezer.She hated the cold."Bastard'.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Laura Pidock on the frontbench.
Good to see another Laura from the 2017 intake - the very good Laura Smith - get a frontbench position. Also that Clive Lewis is back 8-)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Laura Pidock on the frontbench.
Good to see another Laura from the 2017 intake - the very good Laura Smith - get a frontbench position. Also that Clive Lewis is back 8-)
Yes and folk rightly pointing out that Lewis has had to accept a relatively junior post and will have to work his way back up. Good for him for accepting.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

And Jezza has obviously been reading FTN because there is a shadow minister for buses ;-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

That's PF off my Christmas card list.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

HindleA wrote:That's PF off my Christmas card list.
was she on it?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Is there one?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Does Farage want a second referendum so Leave can lose it?
There is a significant strand of Brexiter thinking, exemplified by Farage, which is besotted with a self-pitying sense of victimhood. For these people, winning the Referendum was actually a catastrophe, taking away their victim status and requiring them to do something quite hateful to them: to take responsibility for delivering what they said they wanted and which they claimed would be easy.
http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.co. ... l?spref=tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The best thing for Leave to do is boycott the second referendum, on the grounds that the Prime Minister said the last one was final.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey wrote:Does Farage want a second referendum so Leave can lose it?
There is a significant strand of Brexiter thinking, exemplified by Farage, which is besotted with a self-pitying sense of victimhood. For these people, winning the Referendum was actually a catastrophe, taking away their victim status and requiring them to do something quite hateful to them: to take responsibility for delivering what they said they wanted and which they claimed would be easy.
http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.co. ... l?spref=tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I suppose if the "Outers" lost a second referendum they could go back to their comfort zone
- but they surely couldn't agitate for yet another shot at leaving the EU (which is\was a mainstay of their comfort zone). Aimless grumbling? Perhaps, after all, that really is, for most of them, their comfort zone and raison d'etre. Glower without responsibility . . .
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

That wouldn't be Farage's motive. Brexit goes ahead, goes badly, he just says Theresa May is a "liberal" or whatever.

I do like Glower without responsibility!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@citizenJA

Night night.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:And Jezza has obviously been reading FTN because there is a shadow minister for buses ;-)
That is a very good idea.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Night, Citizen!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I see outward looking, the world doesn't end at Europe, bring on the world, Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson attacked Sadiq Khan, but didn't say anything about Trump being very rude about Africa- where I believe there are a few Commonwealth countries.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Night, PF!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Osborne'HB for 18-21 yr olds cut probably costing more than it supposedly saves.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"There's a novelty"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-4 ... ws_central" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top challenges for new work and pensions secretary
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not compulsively lying.