Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th January 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th January 2018

Post by frog222 »

PTO ????????????????

6.09 SNAP !

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTb94aNU0AIutbL.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Local Enterprise Partnerships and previous NAO work...

Central government in England has sought for many years to stimulate economic growth and rebalance it between different regions. Key to the plans for local economic growth are (Local Enterprise Partnerships) LEPs. These are business-led partnerships between the private sector and local authorities. They were established to steer growth strategically in local communities following the abolition of the Regional Development Agencies in 2010.

The government awarded £7.3 billion to LEPs through the first two rounds of Growth Deals in 2014 and 2015. In early 2017, it announced that it would award a further £1.8 billion through a third round of Growth Deals. This brought the total allocation to £9.1 billion, with the remaining £2.9 billion of the Local Growth Fund being awarded via separate funds.

...since their formation in 2010 LEPs have taken on increased responsibility for significant amounts of central government funding. We also found that:

• LEPs were not as transparent to the public as we would expect, especially given that they are now responsible for significant amounts of taxpayers’ money;
• the Department had not tested the implementation of assurance frameworks; and
• some LEPs did not fully comply with the Department’s national framework requirements, for example, at the time of the report, 16% had not published a conflict of interest policy and 42% had not published a register of interests.

The Department for Communities and Local Government (the Department) has taken a ‘light touch’ approach to working with Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs) because its intention was to devolve funding decisions to local areas. The Local Enterprise Partnership National Assurance Framework (the national framework) is designed to be ‘light touch’ and the Department relies on practices and standards designed to ensure that LEPs spend their funding with regularity and propriety and that they achieve value for money.

...the framework does not set out how the accountable body and statutory officer should fulfil their roles in terms of the level of detail required. In addition, the national framework does not set out what a Section 151 officer should do if they have concerns about the way an LEP is operating, nor how they should escalate any concerns they may have.

The Department does not have the same intervention powers for LEPs as it does for local government. As LEPs are private bodies, the Department’s powers do not extend to them and so the government’s ability to respond to failure is limited. The government’s main sanction over LEPs is to put conditions on funding, or to withhold it.

Our remit under the National Audit Act 1983 (as amended) does not extend to scrutinising the activities of individual Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs), but GCGP LEP has cooperated with this work.

https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploa ... ership.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Report by the Comptroller and Auditor General
Department for Communities and Local Government

29 NOVEMBER 2017

https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploa ... ership.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... n-pictures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Great British seaside – in pictures

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... n-pictures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@tc2

:dance: :dance:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Time cover brings to mind Bonfire of the Vanities.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

What do 'profit warnings' mean, please?
'we're warning you, we need more profit than this...'
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

A quick search for "Carillion pensions" turns up this from July
Carillion under pressure to inject funds amid growing pension concerns

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... -concerns/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@cja Lower than expected/loss
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:Just as the 1950-70 were dogmatic nationalizing years, we are now in the 'free market delivers all' dogma - my standard view is that we are handing massive amounts of taxpayer money to private companies (many paying no tax in the UK) of foreign Governments because of this dogma

The question is do they deliver value.....ie cost and quality......not just cost
Plus, is it right to outsource at all?

This is a bit subjective, but to me Probation and Prisons ought not to be outsourced at all.
Tricky. Both are now complete disasters, but to what extent is that cuts and to what extent outsourcing?

I strongly believe in whatever works. It is true that most reformers seemed to think that every problem could be solved by creating a market, but we're not really that crude any longer

Some outsourcing (eg road building) has always worked well. It depends. Without strong evidence one way or the other, my conservative instinct is to leave things alone.

wow, a post I can agree with - apart from the 'we're really not that crude any linger' - I still think the free marketeers are in the ascendancy with this Government
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Carillion, which has debts of about £1.5bn and a pension fund shortfall of almost £600m, is proposing that the banks swap their debts for majority equity stakes in the business.

But a more urgent sticking point, the Observer understands, is the need for a £300m cash injection to keep the business afloat. With the banks balking at stumping up more cash, there is speculation that the government may have to step in to guarantee Carillion’s short term future.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -carillion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Their website says they're doing okay
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I don't think any debate about private outsourcing of public services in the UK would be complete without looking at water. It would be at the top of my list, way before trains (I'd put buses before trains as well) in terms of looking at to renationalise:

http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2010/09/02 ... ing-water/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However, when the non-profit water advocacy group Food and Water Watch looked at average water rates charged by utilities in California, Illinois, Wisconsin, and New York, it found that private utilities charged consumers “significantly higher water rates” than public ones did—as much as 50 percent more.
With the lack of a competition element and complex financial arrangements to reduce tax/inflate payments to shareholders - privatised water seems to underperform public provision in a pretty stark and uniform manner. They charge more and invest less. I challenge anyone to find an actual benefit. Indeed, there is so little obvious benefit that only England, Chile and a few US cities have ever felt the need to privatise water.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:I don't think any debate about private outsourcing of public services in the UK would be complete without looking at water. It would be at the top of my list, way before trains (I'd put buses before trains as well) in terms of looking at to renationalise:

http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2010/09/02 ... ing-water/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However, when the non-profit water advocacy group Food and Water Watch looked at average water rates charged by utilities in California, Illinois, Wisconsin, and New York, it found that private utilities charged consumers “significantly higher water rates” than public ones did—as much as 50 percent more.
With the lack of a competition element and complex financial arrangements to reduce tax/inflate payments to shareholders - privatised water seems to underperform public provision in a pretty stark and uniform manner. They charge more and invest less. I challenge anyone to find an actual benefit. Indeed, there is so little obvious benefit that only England, Chile and a few US cities have ever felt the need to privatise water.
Willow --- it's actually widespread in France and Germany for a start, thence the years' long movements to take it back into municipal/regional ownership !!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Carillion crisis looms for government as time runs out for refinancing deal

Opposition parties demand to know why ministers such as Chris Grayling continued to hand contracts to failing contractor (Guardian)
With special thanks to Chris Grayling.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -carillion
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

My wife's uncle was for decades Maire of a large town near Caen, and every year the privatising pirates worked on him to subcontract the water supply to them . And every year he'd share the champagne and other bribes with the staff !

My supply is now Veolia, and every few months I get scary letters encouraging me to pay for insurance in the event of expensive -to-repair leaks arising in the piping .on my land .

Unscrupulous swine.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

remnants of feudal power structures
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I had Veolia in Tower Hamlets. They were very good.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PorFavor wrote:

Opposition parties demand to know why ministers such as Chris Grayling continued to hand contracts to failing contractor (Guardian)

I can't see that should be too much of a problem. 1/3 of a small section of HS2.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

False missile alert causes panic in Hawaii. http://fxn.ws/2mAZKcS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Theresa May mocked for suggesting Tories to thank for credit card charge ban imposed by EU
The Government obliged to adopt new rules that were devised by European Parliament and spearheaded by left-wing parties

Lizzy Buchan Political Correspondent @LizzyBuchan 31 m

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 57521.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

frog222 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:I don't think any debate about private outsourcing of public services in the UK would be complete without looking at water. It would be at the top of my list, way before trains (I'd put buses before trains as well) in terms of looking at to renationalise:

Willow --- it's actually widespread in France and Germany for a start, thence the years' long movements to take it back into municipal/regional ownership !!
Although places like Germany and France outsource to private companies, they still own all the infrastructure. It's usually leased out over a set period, a bit like our rail franchises (part of why I wouldn't prioritise rail renationalisation, as the government already has quite a bit of control over how our railways are run) or run through other public-private partnerships of some kind. Thatcher actually sold all our water services off, lock, stock and barrel. Our water supply is literally owned by international investment groups. That's really not that usual.

Edited to add, looking back at my original comment I see I missed out a "fully", hence your confusion. I meant only England, Chile and some US cities have fully privatised water. Renationalisation of water would therefore be much more radical than renationalising rail and I personally think it's the single most important nationalisation you can do as it would effect every one (bar Scotland, which sensibly didn't privatise.)
Last edited by Willow904 on Sat 13 Jan, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

="Willow904"]
frog222 wrote:

Although places like Germany and France outsource to private companies, they still own all the infrastructure. It's usually leased out over a set period, a bit like our rail franchises (part of why I wouldn't prioritise rail renationalisation, as the government already has quite a bit of control over how our railways are run) or run through other public-private partnerships of some kind. Thatcher actually sold all our water services off, lock, stock and barrel. Our water supply is literally owned by international investment groups. That's really not that usual.

""" It's usually leased out over a set period, """
Without wanting to spend all evening on it, the leases were very long , and it took many years and much effort to get out of them !
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I had Veolia in Tower Hamlets. They were very good.
'a leader in environmental solutions'
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

I can't see that should be too much of a problem. 1/3 of a small section of HS2.
WayHey Tubby! Does that mean you are coming round to stopping HS2 ? (Tongue-in-cheek. Only kidding) :lol: :lol:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

frog222 wrote:="Willow904"]
frog222 wrote: Willow --- it's actually widespread in France and Germany for a start, thence the years' long movements to take it back into municipal/regional ownership !!

""" It's usually leased out over a set period, """
Without wanting to spend all evening on it, the leases were very long , and it took many years and much effort to get out of them !
Yes, sorry, didn't mean to downplay the private sector involvement elsewhere - see my above comment and edit. The point is, the contracts, however long, are at least still contracts. England will have to buy back its water infrastructure in its entirety. I'm not even sure how that's done. It's bound to be expensive. Thatcher really sold us out and I remain very angry about it, as you can probably tell! :)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The Independent‏Verified account
@Independent

French hospital promises surgeries for NHS patients delayed by the winter crisis

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/healt ... 57446.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Brexit talks latest: EU to target UK tax haven territories as trade negotiations begin
Exclusive: European Commission official vows to 'go after' British territories

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 56201.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AngryAsWell wrote:The Independent‏Verified account
@Independent

French hospital promises surgeries for NHS patients delayed by the winter crisis

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/healt ... 57446.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AAW -- I've heard both good and bad tales on crossing the channel for operations . But then, it's a lottery within each country too !
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Britain Elects‏
@britainelects

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 40% (+1)
LAB: 40% (-1)
LDEM: 6% (-1)

via @OpiniumResearch, fieldwork this week

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42676774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Austria: Protests in Vienna over far-right in coalition
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Theresa May mocked for suggesting Tories to thank for credit card charge ban imposed by EU
The Government obliged to adopt new rules that were devised by European Parliament and spearheaded by left-wing parties

Lizzy Buchan Political Correspondent @LizzyBuchan 31 m

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 57521.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jesus. These people leading us to disaster really are an incredible bunch of lightweights.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Brexit talks latest: EU to target UK tax haven territories as trade negotiations begin

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 56201.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't worry. Hammond's going to tell them they mustn't.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Four local council byelections this week:

Lancashire CC/Wyre DC - the first of two "double headers" saw two Tory holds in what has been a normally safe area for them, the county division had its first election on present boundaries last year and it saw a very easy Tory win with over 70% of the vote. This time round the Tories still won comfortably, but their share dropped to 60% and Labour polled over half that themselves for a swing in their favour of over 12% overall. As was the case last May, the Greens were the only other party to stand and their share of 8% was slightly down on then. The district ward, which has returned three Tories at every election from 1999 onwards, saw a closer result as the Tories beat Labour by just 55-45 in a straight fight - a swing of about 10% since the last contest in 2015 that was also a two party contest. Labour picked up one seat out of 3 here in the 1990s, but this is easily the closest that they have come since then.

Kent CC/Thanet DC - the second election "pair" this time also saw two Tory holds, and rather more comfortably than further north. The county division was again set up in its present form last year as a double member seat, but had been represented previously by two separate divisions that covered a very similar area - these voted Tory in 2005 and 2009 but went UKIP in 2013, which was a big pointer to them taking Thanet district two years later which they duly did. However the Tories came back to easily win the new division last May with just over half the vote, and they consolidated their grip now with a 5 point increase. Labour moved into a clear second with their own increase (but were still under 20%) whilst the LibDems also increased slightly. UKIP's fall meanwhile continued as their share halved to 8% and they were relegated to 4th, last placed Greens on 4% which was also down. As for the district ward, the Tories have not had it all their own way here in recent years - 1 of the three seats has gone Independent in every election since 2003 with them topping the poll each time since 2007 (and also winning a previous 2009 by-election) and in 2015 UKIP snatched another Tory seat to leave things 1Ind/1C/1UKIP. UKIP did not even stand this time, however, and in their absence and also that of the leading Independent's clear personal vote the Tories too advantage to increase their vote by 20% and win comfortably with almost half the total poll. LibDems stood for only the second time here this millennium - the previous occasion was in 2009 - and they improved significantly on that to come second with a quarter of the vote. Labour third with a clear increase, leapfrogging the Greens who lost almost two thirds of their vote three years ago. The Independent standing this time had been (by some distance) the less successful then, and they dropped further to 4% and last now.

Four contests again next week.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

frog222 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:The Independent‏Verified account
@Independent

AAW -- I've heard both good and bad tales on crossing the channel for operations . But then, it's a lottery within each country too !
I'm sure our hospitals are a lottery as well at the moment.
I just think that given the atmosphere between UK and EU countries right now that it's a lovely, friendly gesture from the French.
Unless they are being sarcastic.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

More sterling work AK.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Four local council byelections this week:

Lancashire CC/Wyre DC - the first of two "double headers" saw two Tory holds in what has been a normally safe area for them, the county division had its first election on present boundaries last year and it saw a very easy Tory win with over 70% of the vote. This time round the Tories still won comfortably, but their share dropped to 60% and Labour polled over half that themselves for a swing in their favour of over 12% overall. As was the case last May, the Greens were the only other party to stand and their share of 8% was slightly down on then. The district ward, which has returned three Tories at every election from 1999 onwards, saw a closer result as the Tories beat Labour by just 55-45 in a straight fight - a swing of about 10% since the last contest in 2015 that was also a two party contest. Labour picked up one seat out of 3 here in the 1990s, but this is easily the closest that they have come since then.

Kent CC/Thanet DC - the second election "pair" this time also saw two Tory holds, and rather more comfortably than further north. The county division was again set up in its present form last year as a double member seat, but had been represented previously by two separate divisions that covered a very similar area - these voted Tory in 2005 and 2009 but went UKIP in 2013, which was a big pointer to them taking Thanet district two years later which they duly did. However the Tories came back to easily win the new division last May with just over half the vote, and they consolidated their grip now with a 5 point increase. Labour moved into a clear second with their own increase (but were still under 20%) whilst the LibDems also increased slightly. UKIP's fall meanwhile continued as their share halved to 8% and they were relegated to 4th, last placed Greens on 4% which was also down. As for the district ward, the Tories have not had it all their own way here in recent years - 1 of the three seats has gone Independent in every election since 2003 with them topping the poll each time since 2007 (and also winning a previous 2009 by-election) and in 2015 UKIP snatched another Tory seat to leave things 1Ind/1C/1UKIP. UKIP did not even stand this time, however, and in their absence and also that of the leading Independent's clear personal vote the Tories too advantage to increase their vote by 20% and win comfortably with almost half the total poll. LibDems stood for only the second time here this millennium - the previous occasion was in 2009 - and they improved significantly on that to come second with a quarter of the vote. Labour third with a clear increase, leapfrogging the Greens who lost almost two thirds of their vote three years ago. The Independent standing this time had been (by some distance) the less successful then, and they dropped further to 4% and last now.

Four contests again next week.
Thank you
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Brexit talks latest: EU to target UK tax haven territories as trade negotiations begin

Pssst "" Meanwhile EU states including Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Belgium, Portugal and Greece are all countries with a higher than global average exposure to citizens and firms stashing wealth offshore."""

Please note the absence of LUX and NL ... very hypocritical ! ( to a lesser extent Malta, Gibraltar Cyprus and other s-holes for Organised Crime .)

Of course the principle of attacking tax havens is absolutely right, and very necessary .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AAW 9.43 -- "" I'm sure our hospitals are a lottery as well at the moment.
I just think that given the atmosphere between UK and EU countries right now that it's a lovely, friendly gesture from the French.
Unless they are being sarcastic ""

Nope, it's just bizness ! We definitely have more capacity than you in most specialities , so it makes sense .
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tides Of History‏
@labour_history

#OTD 1893. The Independent @UKLabour party forms, after 120 delegates meet at the Labour Institute in Bradford.

By creating a national political party, the group aim to represent working class people and build a socialist society.

Keir Hardie is elected as chairman.

tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2018/ja ... an-charter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Brexit bill leaves a hole in UK human rights"
Among others, the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) , Amnesty International, Liberty, the Fawcett Society and National Aids Trust warn that the bill, which is returning to the House of Commons on 16 January, “will not protect people’s rights in the UK as the government promised”. They say: “This is in large part because the bill removes the EU charter of fundamental rights from our law.”
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Public health budget to be slashed by 5% over next two years

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/home/financ ... 39.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:

:lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Back to apostrophe Bone ....

Peter Bone: MP who warned gays would destroy marriage leaves wife for woman 20 years younger

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/01/13/pe ... content=BB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Fwiiw, and as I've said on here before, I agree.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Henry Bolton OBE Verified account
@_HenryBolton

‘Let's go to WAR!' Ukip leader calls on Brexiteers to FIGHT to save Brexit

Oh dear... anyone got a Dad's Army Photo?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Joel Benjamin‏
@Gian_TCatt

Here you go, cabal of UK banks including Barclays, Santander, Lloyds, RBS & HSBC now demand Government bail out Carillion [i.e. them] https://www.ft.com/content/e9f0f06c-f7b ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #PFI

AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tory ministers in stunning U-turn as they will now back Labour bill to force landlords to make properties safe
The Government has finally decided to take action after the Sunday Mirror and Labour teamed up last week to expose the plight of millions in unsafe homes

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/t ... s-11848040" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Henry Bolton OBE Verified account
@_HenryBolton

+

Don't forget that Sir Lord Nigel Farridge said he was going to don Khaki , pick up his rifle , and ER do ... something !

Be Afraid of Far Right nail-bombers targeting pubs, mosques and of course synagogues .

Have I missed out any forrin menaces ?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

dumb Indiana Jones wannabe
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

frog222 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Henry Bolton OBE Verified account
@_HenryBolton

+

Don't forget that Sir Lord Nigel Farridge said he was going to don Khaki , pick up his rifle , and ER do ... something !

Be Afraid of Far Right nail-bombers targeting pubs, mosques and of course synagogues .

Have I missed out any forrin menaces ?
Bistro's, you missed bistro, you know, all them forrin food muck purveyors :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Hugo Dixon: Industry has to push for an honest Brexit

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/hug ... 37576.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;