Thursday 18th January 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Jeez.
“What they’ve done is underbid, made a lot of money out of it and then moved on,” Corbyn said. “When the East Coast mainline was publicly-owned, it paid in a handsome profit to the Treasury and it was well-run.
He's either lying or ignorant. The line is still returning a handsome "profit" to the Treasury- something like £525m over 2 years.

Labour's rail adviser, Ian Taylor, makes the nationalization case on the basis of reducing "friction points" between different organizations. There's lots to be said for that. No need to talk bollocks like Corbyn here.
Okay, I understand you
Come on though, it's not so outlandish, what Corbyn says, it's a sound-bite
The company can't fulfil their obligations, the line isn't running well, there's a problem

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ule-change" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Corporations siphon off wealth created by workers providing public services. Preventing a few profiting from public service contracts leaving many out of pocket and the work undone can't be too far wrong. The disproportionate power some have over the country's resources leaves too many people vulnerable, it's not just, it's not everyone equal before the law.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I note in passing that Stella Creasy has been making some good comments re what to do about PFI contracts now.

You see, this is what Labour "moderates" should be doing. Party members will notice, as will the leadership (despite what SH claims to the contrary)

Whining and moaning in the bars to your favourite right wing hack (off the record, of course) just means you end up universally despised.
Creasy's is definitely in the wrong party. Her CLP hate her. She'll be out once deselection comes in in about 5 years or so.
No, she is Labour and could and would never be anywhere else. Chris "magic money tree" Leslie, on the other hand......
Given her CLP, she won't have any choice in the matter. Must be miserable, poor woman.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Heard onR4

Vince Cable has named one of the EvilPeople reponsible for the RBS robbery of hundreds of business customers . Whoops, he's now a BigBoss !

Clive Lewis also spoke .

The FCA is a scandal .
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Given her CLP, she won't have any choice in the matter. Must be miserable, poor woman.
I don't think she is going to be deselected. Hard to remember anybody like her being pushed out in 87-92. It was more old MPs who wouldn't retire. So you might lose an Ann Clwyd (who's been good on Brexit) put not a Creasey.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 65841.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brexit-galileo-satellite-space-industry-move-from-london-to-spain

sorry if we've already done it
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 65841.html

brexit-galileo-satellite-space-industry-move-from-london-to-spain

sorry if we've already done it
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAgggg!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

SpinningHugo wrote:

Again, I think you've conflated two things (see above)

1. The ACT of outsourcing. For something to be put out it needs to be in.

2. Whetehr something is in fact outseourced. For something to be out it may always have been out.

So, in the cleaning example, the work is outsourced (ie sourced outside the company). The fact that it was never sourced inside doesn't alter that.

But again, much more important than this linguistic trivia is whether goods/services should be delivered from within or without a corporation or public body. That cant be answered by whether it happens to be manufacturing goods, cleaning work, building, legal serices or whatever, It alway depends on other factors.
I was fairly certain I posted this definition earlier but as you seem to be deliberately dim today I'll make it in larger font.
In business, outsourcing is "an agreement in which one company contracts-out a part of their existing internal activity to another company".[1] It involves the contracting out of a business process (e.g. payroll processing, claims processing) and operational, and/or non-core functions (e.g. manufacturing, facility management, call center support) to another party (see also business process outsourcing
Do you understand this or not?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

Again, I think you've conflated two things (see above)

1. The ACT of outsourcing. For something to be put out it needs to be in.

2. Whetehr something is in fact outseourced. For something to be out it may always have been out.

So, in the cleaning example, the work is outsourced (ie sourced outside the company). The fact that it was never sourced inside doesn't alter that.

But again, much more important than this linguistic trivia is whether goods/services should be delivered from within or without a corporation or public body. That cant be answered by whether it happens to be manufacturing goods, cleaning work, building, legal serices or whatever, It alway depends on other factors.
I was fairly certain I posted this definition earlier but as you seem to be deliberately dim today I'll make it in larger font.
In business, outsourcing is "an agreement in which one company contracts-out a part of their existing internal activity to another company".[1] It involves the contracting out of a business process (e.g. payroll processing, claims processing) and operational, and/or non-core functions (e.g. manufacturing, facility management, call center support) to another party (see also business process outsourcing
Do you understand this or not?

Yes.

I think we've established that you think that an enterprise buying in services from a source outside, is not outsourcing, but instead an unnamed arrangement.

I suggest "sourcing out" as a label for this entirely different state of affairs.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Barack Obama just announced a return to politics in 2018, and Trump should be worried

http://washingtonpress.com/2018/01/17/b ... p-worried/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ed ...?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -make-safe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taxpayers face £4m bill as landlord refuses to make tower block safe
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 18 Jan, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote: Yes.

I think we've established that you think that an enterprise buying in services from a source outside, is not outsourcing, but instead an unnamed arrangement.

I suggest "sourcing out" as a label for this entirely different state of affairs.
You could suggest what you like but no-one in business would understand what you mean.

And please don't say "I think". I know - I was involved in this stuff.

That unnamed arrangement was "buying goods and services"

Some of those services came from outsourcing arrangements i.e. buying a service that you once did yourself.

I'm not sure I could be clearer.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Outsourcing (also sometimes referred to as "contracting out") is a business practice used by companies to reduce costs or improve efficiency by shifting tasks, operations, jobs or processes to an external contracted third party for a significant period of time.
ie: by changing from doing something you once did to getting someone else to do it.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Some small acorns for HSOM and Wolverhampton.

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/R ... d-in-march" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Next phase of £150m Wolverhampton tram extension to move forward in March
The next phase of Wolverhampton’s £150m tram extension will kick off in March, it was revealed today.

In a statement, the Midland Metro Alliance, a consortium of companies responsible for the expansion of the network on behalf of the West Midlands Combined Authority, announced that it will get on with work on the extension of the existing tram route just before the current terminus at Wolverhampton St. George to Wolverhampton station in two months’ time.
The Midlands Metro was seen as underperforming for a long time, and likely helped knock back other tram projects. It's likely that a fair bit of its problems were down to it not going to the best terminus in Wolverhampton or Birmingham, but you can sort of understand that government thought that it would be good money after bad to change it.

Delighted that it's being done now though, and a case of what might have been before...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Outsourcing (also sometimes referred to as "contracting out") is a business practice used by companies to reduce costs or improve efficiency by shifting tasks, operations, jobs or processes to an external contracted third party for a significant period of time.
ie: by changing from doing something you once did to getting someone else to do it.
Of course. I can't see how this is so hard for SH to understand.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:

SH is trolling mon vieux, can't you see it ?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
The clue may be hidden among the letters: S T I and R
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(or indeed T R O L and L)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

...governments have behaved as though they are historically powerless to control the terms on which public goods are provided.
In fact, only government is powerful enough to set those terms.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... iled-model" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:(or indeed T R O L and L)
I was FIRST, so there :-)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Centrica said it would make funds available to the government’s Insolvency Service to ensure that 480 staff who helped manage facilities at its buildings would continue to be paid.

National Grid, which used Carillion staff on its infrastructure programme, said work would continue on an overhead line between Richborough and Canterbury, which is designed to connect a Belgium-UK power cable to the grid, and a power cable at Wylfa in Wales for the planned new nuclear power station there.

A spokesperson said: “National Grid has contingency plans in place for all its projects with Carillion, using alternative suppliers if necessary. We believe that these plans mean we will be able to keep any disruption to a minimum.” The company did not say whether it would take on any Carillion staff or whether it had provided funding to ensure they continue to be paid.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... uk-economy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm having difficulty figuring out who's spokesperson is responsible for the quotes.
Also, what the hell is Carillion?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

frog222 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:(or indeed T R O L and L)
I was FIRST, so there :-)
(yes, was agreeing with you)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

.dell.com/fr-fr/shop/ordinateurs-portables-dell/inspiron-15-3000/spd/inspiron-15-3558-laptop

http://www.dell.com/fr-fr/shop/ordinate ... 558-laptop

Is Window$10 worth €80 more than Ubuntu Linux ?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Don’t fixate on a second Brexit vote. Focus instead on trade
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -democracy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the latest Simon Jenkins article, this ought to be fun

...edited to add the following
One thing has become clear from Brussels – that the EU negotiators are not interested in the good of the EU, let alone of Britain. They are about the self-interest of a cabal of unelected officials who have no love for Britain. They hate the reality: that the British had the guts to hold a referendum that few of them would dare in their respective countries.
wow
Last edited by citizenJA on Thu 18 Jan, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

So I sent this to Labour :
Dear Jeremy
I have been a Labour member for many years.
Your stance on leaving the EU has me in despair, the very least you should be arguing on behalf of Labour members (majority of whom are for remin) is a referendum on the deal.

I am seriously on the point of leaving Labour and turning to a Party that supports EU Membership.

Regards

...and here is the fine-words-butter-no-parsnips reply

Thank you for contacting us about exiting the European Union.
Labour accept the referendum result and recognise that Britain is leaving the EU. But unlike the Conservatives, we believe that jobs and the economy must come first in the negotiations. That means rejecting ‘no deal’ as a viable option, negotiating strong transitional arrangements to ensure there is no cliff-edge for the economy and putting much greater emphasis on retaining the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union.
Labour will not accept any watering down of workers’ rights and environmental standards as a result of Brexit. We will seek significant improvements to the Government’s Repeal Bill to ensure there is proper oversight of the use of new powers and no drop in EU rights and protections.
We are also clear that we would unilaterally guarantee rights for EU nationals living in the UK and seek reciprocal rights for UK nationals living in the EU. The Prime Minister’s limited and conditional offer is too little, too late.
We will seek a strong, collaborative new relationship with the EU – not as members but as partners. This means changing the tone of the negotiations, and seeking to remain a member of common European agencies that benefit the UK such as Europol, Eurojust and the Erasmus scheme.
The Prime Minister has no mandate or parliamentary majority for her Brexit strategy. Her belligerent approach has left Britain without allies or good will across Europe. As a result, Britain enters negotiations in the worst possible position.
The Prime Minister must now change her approach. She must drop ‘no deal’ as a viable option and put much stronger emphasis on jobs, the economy and retaining the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union. She must also bring Parliament back into the Brexit process – it is vital that Parliament is involved throughout the negotiations, including through a truly meaningful vote on the final deal.
Only a Labour Government can prevent a reckless Tory Brexit, build a close and collaborative future relationship with the EU and deliver a Brexit deal that protects jobs, the economy, rights and living standards. As we hold this weak and unstable Tory administration to account on Brexit, we stand ready to take over the negotiations and to secure the best deal for Britain.

Best wishes,

Faye

Membership Services and Correspondence

The Labour Party

That's just waffle!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AngryAsWell wrote:So I sent this to Labour :
Dear Jeremy
I have been a Labour member for many years.
Your stance on leaving the EU has me in despair, the very least you should be arguing on behalf of Labour members (majority of whom are for remin) is a referendum on the deal.

I am seriously on the point of leaving Labour and turning to a Party that supports EU Membership.

Regards

...and here is the fine-words-butter-no-parsnips reply

Thank you for contacting us about exiting the European Union.
Labour accept the referendum result and recognise that Britain is leaving the EU. But unlike the Conservatives, we believe that jobs and the economy must come first in the negotiations. That means rejecting ‘no deal’ as a viable option, negotiating strong transitional arrangements to ensure there is no cliff-edge for the economy and putting much greater emphasis on retaining the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union.
Labour will not accept any watering down of workers’ rights and environmental standards as a result of Brexit. We will seek significant improvements to the Government’s Repeal Bill to ensure there is proper oversight of the use of new powers and no drop in EU rights and protections.
We are also clear that we would unilaterally guarantee rights for EU nationals living in the UK and seek reciprocal rights for UK nationals living in the EU. The Prime Minister’s limited and conditional offer is too little, too late.
We will seek a strong, collaborative new relationship with the EU – not as members but as partners. This means changing the tone of the negotiations, and seeking to remain a member of common European agencies that benefit the UK such as Europol, Eurojust and the Erasmus scheme.
The Prime Minister has no mandate or parliamentary majority for her Brexit strategy. Her belligerent approach has left Britain without allies or good will across Europe. As a result, Britain enters negotiations in the worst possible position.
The Prime Minister must now change her approach. She must drop ‘no deal’ as a viable option and put much stronger emphasis on jobs, the economy and retaining the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union. She must also bring Parliament back into the Brexit process – it is vital that Parliament is involved throughout the negotiations, including through a truly meaningful vote on the final deal.
Only a Labour Government can prevent a reckless Tory Brexit, build a close and collaborative future relationship with the EU and deliver a Brexit deal that protects jobs, the economy, rights and living standards. As we hold this weak and unstable Tory administration to account on Brexit, we stand ready to take over the negotiations and to secure the best deal for Britain.

Best wishes,

Faye

Membership Services and Correspondence

The Labour Party

That's just waffle!
At least they replied!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The German verb ausgliedern is made up of the prefix "aus", which means both "outside" and "to exit", and the verb "gliedern", which means "to organise", so when translated into English it becomes "to outsource" or "to hive off".

So this suggests the Germans, at least, consider what we call "outsourcing" to apply to things which were internally organised but were then "exited" to become externally organised.

Hence, I suppose, the French term externalisation.

Of course, language is fluid and what we mean by a word changes with time and fashion, but personally I have always associated the word "outsourcing" with a transitional sense of moving from inside to outside. I derive this sense from the context in which the word is predominantly used and would be surprised if this wasn't the generally accepted interpretation of the word.

On it's own, it doesn't have a negative connotation, but when combined with public services it certainly seems to have attracted a negative sense. Is this because outsourcing of public services is bad or because public services have been outsourced badly? What I find strange is that rather than outsource public services to make them better we almost always seem to outsource them to make them cheaper. Is perhaps the biggest problem here a deficit in the desire to provide excellent public services and a willingness to raise the money to pay for them? When considered like this it's clear that Jeremy Corbyn is at least starting in the right place, while the Tories aren't even in the same race.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:The German verb ausgliedern is made up of the prefix "aus", which means both "outside" and "to exit", and the verb "gliedern", which means "to organise", so when translated into English it becomes "to outsource" or "to hive off".

So this suggests the Germans, at least, consider what we call "outsourcing" to apply to things which were internally organised but were then "exited" to become externally organised.

Of course, language is fluid and what we mean by a word changes with time and fashion, but personally I have always associated the word "outsourcing" with a transitional sense of moving from inside to outside. I derive this sense from the context in which the word is predominantly used and would be surprised if this wasn't the generally accepted interpretation of the word.

On it's own, it doesn't have a negative connotation, but when combined with public services it certainly seems to have attracted a negative sense. Is this because outsourcing of public services is bad or because public services have been outsourced badly? What I find strange is that rather than outsource public services to make them better we almost always seem to outsource them to make them cheaper. Is perhaps the biggest problem here a deficit in the desire to provide excellent public services and a willingness to raise the money to pay for them? When considered like this it's clear that Jeremy Corbyn is at least starting in the right place, while the Tories aren't even in the same race.
Eloquent. Thanks.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:The German verb ausgliedern is made up of the prefix "aus", which means both "outside" and "to exit", and the verb "gliedern", which means "to organise", so when translated into English it becomes "to outsource" or "to hive off".

Well,as Wren-Lewis explains, competition on price is much easier to achieve. Which is why you need regulation of sourced out (to choose a neutral phrase) goods, services, construction etc.

The logical endpoint of "sourcing out is bad" should be easy to grasp.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Brexit blow as satellite monitoring centre moves from UK to Spain
European commission moves to ensure complete Galileo satnav infrastructure remains in an EU country

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... k-to-spain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

frog222 wrote:.dell.com/fr-fr/shop/ordinateurs-portables-dell/inspiron-15-3000/spd/inspiron-15-3558-laptop

http://www.dell.com/fr-fr/shop/ordinate ... 558-laptop

Is Window$10 worth €80 more than Ubuntu Linux ?
Probably not unless you specifically need something that only runs in Windows, or are a glutton for punishment - but personally I prefer Linux & really can't fathom out Windows 10.
If you're happy with the technical side of it (& the associated stress), you could always buy the laptop with Linux & give it a try, then if needed install windows with a cheap OEM license.
(Windows 10 home, probably best bet, you can pay between £3 - £20 on eBay).
You can also just install Windows 10 and run it unlicensed, if you can put up with a little nagging reminder on screen.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Easilly proved arch hypocrite and bullying knobhead to use the correct phrase.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ple-babies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why are Tories like Ben Bradley so hung up on poor people having babies?
Gaby Hinsliff

Overweaning desperate desire to feel superior.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Neil Henderson‏Verified account
@hendopolis

TELEGRAPH: Boris calls for Bridge across the Channel #tomorrowspaperstoday

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:?: :?: :?:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]H_a46WJ1viA[/youtube]
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Some small acorns for HSOM and Wolverhampton.

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/R ... d-in-march" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Next phase of £150m Wolverhampton tram extension to move forward in March
The next phase of Wolverhampton’s £150m tram extension will kick off in March, it was revealed today.

In a statement, the Midland Metro Alliance, a consortium of companies responsible for the expansion of the network on behalf of the West Midlands Combined Authority, announced that it will get on with work on the extension of the existing tram route just before the current terminus at Wolverhampton St. George to Wolverhampton station in two months’ time.
The Midlands Metro was seen as underperforming for a long time, and likely helped knock back other tram projects. It's likely that a fair bit of its problems were down to it not going to the best terminus in Wolverhampton or Birmingham, but you can sort of understand that government thought that it would be good money after bad to change it.

Delighted that it's being done now though, and a case of what might have been before...
It goes to New Street in Brum. The work in wolvo is to move that end terminus closer to the train station. I get it occasionally if I need to go into birmingham, it's about half the price of the train but takes twice as long - it spends almost all of the journey on old rail tracks and essentially is a 'reclaimed' 60's stopper service on a different route. The cost difference must be very good if you need to do that commute.
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... t-drumming" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Readers recommend: share your songs with great drumming

[youtube]b0iLSCgMjvE[/youtube]
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

:D
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... iled-model" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Guardian view on the private finance initiative: replace this failed model
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... t-drumming
Readers recommend: share your songs with great drumming
[youtube]q6cS26oEX64[/youtube]
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Great drumming you say?

[youtube]vYE8S662mT4[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

[youtube]vJzC6Rr7p7A[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Are Instrumentals allowed?
[youtube]QgbgUrp1a70[/youtube]
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

2nd attempt.
[youtube]yV1h_oszR-I[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... utsourcing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Falling forensics standards 'making miscarriages of justice inevitable'
Regulator says UK forces failing to meet standards, with routine outsourcing of great concern
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 19 Jan, 2018 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

[youtube]Tja6_h4lT6A[/youtube]
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Dearie me, I wish I hadn't ventured onto the halfwitted moron David Vance to see what QT was like. I found this.
Hampstead1961
‏@Hampstead19612
27m27 minutes ago
More
Morons clapping and cheering him But let’s face it BBC has filled the audience with young university types to young to remember what happened in Mid-Staffs and what Andy Burnham did trying to bury the Francis report Vile man
Yep, commissioned the report and then reported it to the HoC in Feb 2010. Great bit of "burying"

:roll:

Some of these people are complete lunatics.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Pah facts,who needs 'em.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"The routine outsourcing of criminal forensic work to unaccredited laboratories worries Tully, with some not subject to independent oversight."