Wednesday 24th January 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 24th January 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 24th January 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://consultations.dh.gov.uk/public- ... -activity/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Call for evidence - local authority public health prescribed activity
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Osborne's fuckwittery (one of many)

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... sal-credit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Ursula K Le Guin: US fantasy author dies at home in Oregon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42798654" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/dfe-director- ... legations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"DfE director Meller’s ‘Presidents Club’ dinner rocked by sexual harassment allegations"
David Meller, a non-executive director at the Department for Education and founder of the Meller Educational Trust who was made a CBE in the new year’s honours list, is co-chair of the charitable trust that runs the event.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... in-poverty" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... ion-equity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speech

Nick Gibb: How can policy ensure education equity?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... ion-equity

Speech

Nick Gibb: How can policy ensure education equity?
In 2010, the government came to office in Britain. We inherited a curriculum that was not fit for purpose. The national curriculum had been stripped of knowledge, leaving pupils without the cultural literacy they needed.
:roll:

From a history teacher I follow...

https://clioetcetera.com/2013/07/13/in- ... urriculum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is, for me, a basic overview of the people, events and developments one would have to teach to come close to fulfilling the demands of the National Curriculum. Plenty of history teachers and historians would add more to the list; few would take much away. All of that, of course, covers just point ‘d’ from British history, and there are four more which have similar demands in terms of the knowledge that would have to be taught to meet the demands of the curriculum. On top of that, there are two points for non-British history, each requiring pupils to learn a significant quantity of factual information to meet the demands of the curriculum. It goes even further, of course. Try teaching ‘the Wars of the Roses’ or ‘the origins of the Tories and Whigs’ without introducing pupils to a considerable quantity of facts. Those 335 words of ‘Range and Content’ cannot properly be taught without teaching thousands of pieces of factual information: I challenge someone to say otherwise.
The word ‘properly’ is, of course, the crucial word. If taught properly, the current National Curriculum for history is incredibly knowledge-rich.
I find it really disheartening that so many of the edu twitter people love Gibb and his traditional position that they don't pull him up on this kind of dishonesty.

Anyway, off to the library. Catch you all later.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinybgoat wrote:https://schoolsweek.co.uk/dfe-director- ... legations/
"DfE director Meller’s ‘Presidents Club’ dinner rocked by sexual harassment allegations"
David Meller, a non-executive director at the Department for Education and founder of the Meller Educational Trust who was made a CBE in the new year’s honours list, is co-chair of the charitable trust that runs the event.
S.I.C.K !

""According to the FT, which sent two reporters to work undercover as hostesses, the 130 women hired to work at the men-only event were “told to wear skimpy black outfits with matching underwear and high heels”.

Hostesses “reported men repeatedly putting hands up their skirts, and one “said an attendee had exposed his penis to her during the evening”.""

Questions to be asked as to whether he is a fitting person to be in charge of educating the young ?

"" He set up the Meller Educational Trust, which runs four schools and a University Technical College. He is also chair of the National Apprenticeship Ambassador Network and the Apprenticeship Delivery Board.

Outside education, Meller chairs his family business The Meller Group, one of the largest luxury home and beauty suppliers in the UK.""

Obviously in it just for the money, I hope the creep does get hounded !

(Men-only, FFS ! )
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Morning.

Interesting Twitter thread on the next stage of Brexit negotiations from The Economist's political editor:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

'Interesting' in the confucian sense.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Donald Tusk calls for second Brexit referendum

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dona ... -jjkngzsl5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

BBC Radio 4 Today‏Verified account
@BBCr4today

"I am not afraid."

Dame Tessa Jowell, who was diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumour last year, is arguing for a change in the way the NHS treats cancer. Download the full interview here http://bbc.in/2DzkX1f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; #r4today

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (short video clip )
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:'Interesting' in the confucian sense.
You didn't find it enthralling? :)

I found the implication that EEA membership would confer some say in the rules interesting as this is different from previous views I've seen on the subject.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

AngryAsWell wrote:BBC Radio 4 Today‏Verified account
@BBCr4today

"I am not afraid."

Dame Tessa Jowell, who was diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumour last year, is arguing for a change in the way the NHS treats cancer. Download the full interview here http://bbc.in/2DzkX1f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; #r4today

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (short video clip )
Best wishes to her.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Ursula K Le Guin: US fantasy author dies at home in Oregon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42798654" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
a light has gone out of the world
one on my favourite authors of all time
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Willow904 wrote:

I found the implication that EEA membership would confer some say in the rules interesting as this is different from previous views I've seen on the subject.
I think it's because EEA countries have an input into suggesting rules & supplying experts/expertise & giving views etc. but don't get to vote (which fits in with participating in single market but not being members).
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor, the absence of your company is dreadful for me this morning/afternoon
Forgive the public nature of my disclosure
LeGuin wrote, The Dispossessed, Lavinia the Earthsea series
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thank you, adam
Paul Goodman and his brother, Percival, were social scientists providing LeGuin material for The Dispossessed.

edited to add
I didn't intend to make it sound as though she plagiarised it, she didn't
LeGuin used some of their work as inspiration
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Ah yes, plagiarism - that thing it is easy to allege but rather more difficult to actually define.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

David Meller quits as DfE director after sexual harassment charity dinner scandal (Politics Live, Guardian)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

What a waste of time PMQs now is. I was used to there being no answers, but this no questions thing is not an improvement.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:What a waste of time PMQs now is. I was used to there being no answers, but this no questions thing is not an improvement.
I have never really been a fan.

It has to be said though that within the (rather silly) rules of the game, Corbyn has been performing quite strongly lately.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

tinybgoat wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

I think it's because EEA countries have an input into suggesting rules & supplying experts/expertise & giving views etc. but don't get to vote (which fits in with participating in single market but not being members).

Afternoon all

I linked to the EEA agreement that sets out the relationships yesterday

I also pointed out there is no mention of the phrase 'Single Market' in the document - an omission surely as the whole point is to confer membership of it......apart from the bits it doesn't apply to and the fact that there are different rights applied to EU members and EFTA members as to how the rules are applied (eg the EFTA members have no vote on the final rules but also have an ability to claim some derogation that is not available to EU members)

The EEA agreement is open for all to see and read, as are the EU Custom rules
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:What a waste of time PMQs now is. I was used to there being no answers, but this no questions thing is not an improvement.
I have never really been a fan.

It has to be said though that within the (rather silly) rules of the game, Corbyn has been performing quite strongly lately.

If the PM doesn't answer questions then it is quite difficult to blame the questioner....this is not just a problem for May to be fair.......it has been this way for yonks

Complete waste of time unless the PM starts doing what it says on the tin
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Ah yes, plagiarism - that thing it is easy to allege but rather more difficult to actually define.
I was gently taught never to plagiarise. There's no shame in attributing ideas and work to others learned and incorporated into other work. I'm referring to non-fiction I've written.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:
Willow904 wrote:You didn't find it enthralling? :)

Afternoon all

I linked to the EEA agreement that sets out the relationships yesterday

I also pointed out there is no mention of the phrase 'Single Market' in the document - an omission surely as the whole point is to confer membership of it......apart from the bits it doesn't apply to and the fact that there are different rights applied to EU members and EFTA members as to how the rules are applied (eg the EFTA members have no vote on the final rules but also have an ability to claim some derogation that is not available to EU members)

The EEA agreement is open for all to see and read, as are the EU Custom rules
Isn't that work specifically about nations already in a formal agreement within the EU?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Milton says, although lunch with Boris Johnson was one of the lots in the charity auction, Johnson did not know about that. And he was not involved in the event at all, she says.
So Boris sells lunch meetings indiscriminately, without knowing who they'll be with? Or the charity auction was selling things it hadn't yet arranged/acquired?

I'm a little bit stumped, tbh. The G live blog seems a little sparse on details on this.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Hi cJA

Yes the EEA agreement is clearly a formal agreement between the EU and EFTA

The question I have always asked is 'what do you mean by the Single Market' because it is only mentioned in the context of the EU Internal Market which is much larger in scope.

The usual answer I get is 'Norway' which has the EEA agreement so I think looking at this is useful and the commitments within it - we may build further on top of the EEA agreement (eg CU, ag and fish)

As was highlighted in the twitter there are a number of countries watching what deal is offered to the UK as any concessions may lead to EEA, CH etc coming back and asking for upodates to their treaties. I am sure the EU would like us to join EFTA and sign the EEA treaty
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Hi cJA

The question I have always asked is 'what do you mean by the Single Market' because it is only mentioned in the context of the EU Internal Market which is much larger in scope.

The usual answer I get is 'Norway' which has the EEA agreement so I think looking at this is useful and the commitments within it - we may build further on top of the EEA agreement (eg CU, ag and fish)

As was highlighted in the twitter there are a number of countries watching what deal is offered to the UK as any concessions may lead to EEA, CH etc coming back and asking for upodates to their treaties. I am sure the EU would like us to join EFTA and sign the EEA treaty
You've explained it beautifully, thank you. Of all the things going on in the political world, Brexit and the UK's relationship with the EU and other nations is within the top three of my concerns and has been since the UK EU referendum result in June 2016. Your explanations help me understand the physical workings of EU-UK trade agreements and I thank you for them, sincerely. I know comparatively little about the subject.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

citizenJA wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:Hi cJA

You've explained it beautifully, thank you. Of all the things going on in the political world, Brexit and the UK's relationship with the EU and other nations is within the top three of my concerns and has been since the UK EU referendum result in June 2016. Your explanations help me understand the physical workings of EU-UK trade agreements and I thank you for them, sincerely. I know comparatively little about the subject.

It is quite complex and I am not pretending I am always right so am happoy to be challenged - I find Willow is also very knowledgeable and we are not always in agreement so don't take my word as gospel

I find though the treaties are a good place to start though
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
Milton says, although lunch with Boris Johnson was one of the lots in the charity auction, Johnson did not know about that. And he was not involved in the event at all, she says.
So Boris sells lunch meetings indiscriminately, without knowing who they'll be with? Or the charity auction was selling things it hadn't yet arranged/acquired?

I'm a little bit stumped, tbh. The G live blog seems a little sparse on details on this.
Thursday Club
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

it's only Wednesday
so, no worries
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:You've explained it beautifully, thank you. Of all the things going on in the political world, Brexit and the UK's relationship with the EU and other nations is within the top three of my concerns and has been since the UK EU referendum result in June 2016. Your explanations help me understand the physical workings of EU-UK trade agreements and I thank you for them, sincerely. I know comparatively little about the subject.
It is quite complex and I am not pretending I am always right so am happoy to be challenged - I find Willow is also very knowledgeable and we are not always in agreement so don't take my word as gospel

I find though the treaties are a good place to start though
Your links are excellent
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Speech by Michel Barnier at the Trends Manager of the Year 2017 event

"This is the subject of my second question.

II – What kind of future relationship does the UK want with the European Union?

We don't yet have the answer to this question. However, we can proceed by deduction, based on the Union's legal system and the UK's red lines. By officially drawing these red lines, the UK is itself closing the doors, one by one.

The British government wants to end the free movement of persons, which is indivisible from the other three freedoms. It has therefore indicated its intention of leaving the Single Market.

The British government wants to recover its independence to negotiate international agreements. It has therefore confirmed its intention of leaving the Customs Union.

The UK no longer wishes to recognise the jurisdiction of the Court of Justice of the European Union, which guarantees the application of our common rules.

It follows that the only model possible is a free trade agreement, which could obviate the need for trade barriers, such as customs duties, and could facilitate customs procedures and product certification.

This will of course be adapted to the specificities of the relationship between the EU and the UK, in the same way that our agreement with Canada is not identical to our agreements with Korea or Japan.

But one thing is clear: a free trade agreement, however ambitious, cannot include all the benefits of the Customs Union and the Single Market."

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SP ... -85_en.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Negotiating documents on Article 50 negotiations with the United Kingdom
Documents published as part of the European Commission's approach to transparency on Article 50 negotiations with the United Kingdom.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/brexit- ... kingdom_en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Negotiating documents on Article 50 negotiations with the United Kingdom
Documents published as part of the European Commission's approach to transparency on Article 50 negotiations with the United Kingdom.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/brexit- ... kingdom_en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Many thanks
:heart:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Brexit Impact Studies by the European Parliament are publicly available

Listed here :

https://www.richardcorbett.org.uk/brexi ... tudies-ep/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AngryAsWell wrote:Brexit Impact Studies by the European Parliament are publicly available

Listed here :

https://www.richardcorbett.org.uk/brexi ... tudies-ep/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Richard Corbett is MEP for Yorkshire and is doing some good work currently. Good for him.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Brexit Impact Studies by the European Parliament are publicly available
Listed here :
All very well but can any of that top the following from the Department for Exiting the European Union Sectoral Analyses Committee? I think not.
"Electricity is a fundamental part of modern society. Residential and industrial users rely on its use to ensure basic and vital needs such as lighting, heating or refrigeration are met on a daily basis."
Reads like the Hal9000 getting turned off
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:it's only Wednesday
so, no worries
I think its what we call a "long week".
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

David Cameron says Brexit is 'a mistake, not a disaster'
5News has released some footage of David Cameron talking about Brexit. He was talking to Lakshmi Mittal, the steel tycoon and he said.

It’s frustrating. As I keep saying, it’s a mistake, not a disaster. It’s turned out less badly than we first thought. But it’s still going to be difficult.

Cameron’s rather even-handed take on the biggest disaster of his career will probably annoy people on both sides of the Brexit argument. The Brexiters think people should accept their view that Brexit represents a splendid opportunity. And hardcore remainers think that Brexit will be a disaster and that, if it has so far turned out less badly than predicted, that is only because it has not actually happened yet.
:fire:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

She tried on all the words, and they all fit, like hideous little hats.
Marvellous.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

When it was put to her[Anne Milton] that Zahawi, who was not in the chamber for the UQ, had not reported what went on, Milton said he had reported it to her that morning (ie, after the story appeared in the FT.) (Politics Live, Guardian)
This doesn't really stack up, does it? Apparently, Nadhim Zahawi left because the event made him "uncomfortable" but he didn't stay long enough to see the goings-on (so what made him "uncomfortable"?) - although, even if he did (or didn't, but felt "uncomfortable" about something, anyway) he didn't see fit to report what's now alleged to have happened or the things which made him "uncomfortable" until this morning (ie after the story broke).

Edited - typo
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

UK sick pay is found to breach international legal obligations

Money available is ‘manifestly inadequate’, says European committee of social rights

Statutory sick pay and government assistance for jobless and self-employed people in the UK have been found to breach international legal obligations.
Advertisement

The amount of money available to those claiming statutory sick pay and employment support allowance is “manifestly inadequate”, according to the guardians of an international charter ratified by the UK in 1962. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... bligations
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

More depressing polling, this time from Germany.

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany ... d-in-poll/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the retreat of the left looks Europe wide.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:More depressing polling, this time from Germany.

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany ... d-in-poll/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the retreat of the left looks Europe wide.
Except in the UK where Labour leads in polls and made large gains in last election

Seems the left (if it is left) elsewhere could learn something
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Just shows that the SPD would (almost literally) be committing suicide if they entered yet another GroKo.

Fortunately, an influx of new members (ENTRYISTS!!) might just put a stop to that.