Tuesday 30th January 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 30th January 2018

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Adam Bienkov‏Verified account
@AdamBienkov
Follow Follow @AdamBienkov
More
Downing Street is now point blank refusing to say who commissioned the leaked Brexit report.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ter-u-turn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Government to review 1.6m disability benefit claims after U-turn

Even disregarding it is in effect a cost savings allowance,as ever attempts at denial,the to the most vulnerable schtick coupled with false portrayal ends up costing far,far more.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

<clears away spot of tumbleweed>

Is it just me, or are Graun comments not working properly at the moment?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:<clears away spot of tumbleweed>

Not working properly for me either
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:<clears away spot of tumbleweed>

Let me guess, they won't nest as you want them and just come out as a single timeline ;-)

Oh....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

What are private agencies' statutory obligations for children in care? What are local authorities' statutory obligations for children in care? Private social workers and council social workers - are their responsibilities and legal obligations the same?

I've read the article on foster carers seeking help from private agency social workers because council social workers aren't able to magic up funding and staff.
Last month’s report by the education select committee found that the government needed to do much more to support fostering families. Robert Halfon, chair of the education select committee, said: “Our inquiry showed it is clear that too many [foster carers] are not adequately supported, neither financially nor professionally, in the vital work that they do.” Rachel Harrison, lead officer for foster carers at the GMB trade union, says: “Agencies’ social workers have lesser workloads and so are better able to look after their foster carers."

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... e-agencies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(cJA emphasis)
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 30 Jan, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It's the Guardian's house, they can toss us out if they like
I hope they'll let us back in after awhile tonight
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

One on-air insider said: “BBC women have zero faith [in the report]. That’s certainly the general mood within the sisterhood this morning.”
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... ender-bias" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
out of curiosity, how do the salaries of the big presenters compare to other BBC - or indeed other public sector -salaries?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I don't have the answer to that question, tinyclanger2
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

So this would be terrorist Osborne wanted to "take out" both Corbyn and Khan.

I await some self-reflection from certain political and/or media figures.

Or, more likely, not.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 83366.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Almost 30% of jobs in towns including Sunderland and Wakefield at risk by 2030 due to automation and globalisation
Not sure which I despair of more - Brits (for voting for our own demise) or humans (for designing our own demise)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hello Toby!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... r-taxpayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Once there were hundreds of private fostering outfits, typically small and set up by former social workers, but now finance firms have hoovered up many of them. The result is an expensive oligopoly.

...Liverpool, where almost 900 children live with foster parents. Private agencies take care of just under a third of those – at a cost of over two-thirds, £10.5m, of the council’s £15m fostering budget. A city hit so hard by austerity that it teeters on the verge of bankruptcy now spends so much on private foster care it has had to cut back even more on vital services.

Nor is Liverpool alone. In a 2016 report, the government adviser Martin Narey found that private foster agencies were “charging almost 92% more” than local authorities."
From Aditya Chakrabortty's article out today
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

A New Zealand-born backer of a think tank advocating a hard Brexit has obtained an EU passport through Malta, it has been reported.

Christopher Chandler, founder of Legatum, which backs leaving the single market and the customs union, has become a citizen of the Mediterranean island.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 85336.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What a complete ****
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

tinyclanger2 wrote:Hello Toby!
Toby?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 83366.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Almost 30% of jobs in towns including Sunderland and Wakefield at risk by 2030 due to automation and globalisation
Not sure which I despair of more - Brits (for voting for our own demise) or humans (for designing our own demise)
The worst is reading posts below the line from some commentators certain everything would be okay if only fewer people were alive. Housing, social care, environmental issues, Brexit articles and other subjects, doesn't matter the topic.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Toby?
See thanks to your post above
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" Before Christmas, Davis had tried to convince parliament that fictional impact assessments were in fact real. Now his sidekick was being asked to convince MPs that a genuine impact assessment, leaked to the press the night before, was largely fictional."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... lt-says-mp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:" Before Christmas, Davis had tried to convince parliament that fictional impact assessments were in fact real. Now his sidekick was being asked to convince MPs that a genuine impact assessment, leaked to the press the night before, was largely fictional."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... lt-says-mp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Comments are currently undergoing scheduled maintenance but will be back again shortly."
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

One of Theresa May’s key Brexit ministers has claimed that civil servants have never produced a correct economic forecast, and said he looks forward to continuing to prove the “horror story predictions” of economists wrong.

Steve Baker made the comments to MPs after being summoned to explain a leaked analysis, drawn up by government officials, which suggests Britain would be worse off after Brexit under a wide range of potential scenarios. Responding to an urgent question from the shadow Brexit secretary, Keir Starmer, who demanded the assessment be published, the MP said ministers had only just seen the research and insisted that “significant further work” was required.

In fact, Baker questioned the worth of such research, slamming the use of Treasury forecasts during the referendum as “Project Fear” and saying the public deserved a House of Commons that displayed a “healthy scepticism about economic forecasting”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ways-wrong" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(cJA emphasis)

That's from a news article above. It's not all that different from John Crace's satirical sketch on the same topic. Such is life during Tory Times.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

tinyclanger2 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Toby?
See thanks to your post above
Ah yes sorry!

I was confused because there was also a post from Robert! :-)

Hello Robert and Toby ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Of sitting MPs only 1 has signed more EDMs condemning human rights abuses in Iran

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Some folk say Labour's front bench is useless.

Well hot on the heels of Debbie Abrahams being part of the successful PIP campaign it looks like Angela Rayner has a modest victory

Carillion apprentices will continue to be paid.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/a ... aa48740a8f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Some folk say Labour's front bench is useless.

Well hot on the heels of Debbie Abrahams being part of the successful PIP campaign it looks like Angela Rayner has a modest victory

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/a ... aa48740a8f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On here:

Some folk = one person
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Jennifer Williams‏Verified account
@JenWilliamsMEN

An academy chain collapses and the government won’t give me any information, because the need of trusts to chat to the govt in private is apparently greater than the public’s right to know why they fail.

Not that I’m irritated or anything

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Millions squandered, kids failed and now a second school shuts - but the government still won't answer our questions about this 'disastrous' academy chain
Manchester Creative Studio in Ancoats is set to shut a year after the closure of its sister free school, Oldham’s Collective Spirit

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... w-14224007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Yeah the Labour frontbench are great. Really knocking it out of the park on those Brexit impact studies.

Great to see.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I think I may have been right about an account on here being a bot that reacts immediately to certain keywords!
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

:D :D :D
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:

Yeah the Labour frontbench are great. Really knocking it out of the park on those Brexit impact studies.

Great to see.
You are so right SH

http://uk.businessinsider.com/labour-is ... ers-2018-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

labour-is-to-force-a-binding-vote-on-whether-theresa-may-should-publish-the-brexit-impact-papers-2018-1
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So let's see, the Brexit department leaks a report that a Brexit minister describes as worthless. While he simultaneously tries to claim the tiny smidgens of good news concealed within to be true. Which along with being an obvious non sequitur begs questions about why we should ever listen to anything his department ever says again.

Please could somebody get Jeremy Corbyn by the shoulders and shake some fucking sense into him?

The vast majority of his party members support staying in the single market at least. We were told by those deluded Ukip morons at the last election that they would sweep Labour's Northern heartlands and what happened? Quite the opposite. And yet all we see is a mixture of cowardice and old left arguments against an EU that existed 30 years ago.

It's pathetic.

I would love to vote Labour, and I would love to vote Labour under Corbyn, but it's not going to happen unless he and those around him realise how important being European is to so many of us.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:So let's see, the Brexit department leaks a report that a Brexit minister describes as worthless. While he simultaneously tries to claim the tiny smidgens of good news concealed within to be true. Which along with being an obvious non sequitur begs questions about why we should ever listen to anything his department ever says again.

Please could somebody get Jeremy Corbyn by the shoulders and shake some fucking sense into him?

The vast majority of his party members support staying in the single market at least. We were told by those deluded Ukip morons at the last election that they would sweep Labour's Northern heartlands and what happened? Quite the opposite. And yet all we see is a mixture of cowardice and old left arguments against an EU that existed 30 years ago.

It's pathetic.

I would love to vote Labour, and I would love to vote Labour under Corbyn, but it's not going to happen unless he and those around him realise how important being European is to so many of us.
And when is this election that you are not going to vote Labour in then?

Labour are being told by people like you what they must do - and I disagree totally with your position as I think doing something like now would be foolish in the extreme.

The party who must do something are the one in Government and if they can't then they can get out of the way and let in a Government who would then, rightly, be expected to set out what they would do

But then you will be helping to give us a Tory Government by not voting Labour (assuming you are lucky enough to be somewhere that it matters)

I assume you are content by not voting for labour and hence letting in another Tory Government to carry on their destructive and vindictive domestic agenda is fine?

Brexit is important but the shit that is happening in the UK now is more linked to having a Tory Government.

Whatever they do I will vote Labour because it is better than letting the Tories in
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I left forty years ago, so no vote unless I cheat !