Wednesday 31st January 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 31st January 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 31st January 2018

Post by HindleA »

"Stormy weather",got drenched.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Blowing a rainy gale here, but no drenching . I'm staying inside for now !

"" In 2013 the six local public bodies spent £38m in Preston and £292m in all of Lancashire. By 2017 those totals stood at £111m in Preston and £486m throughout the county. That is a huge turnaround, especially as their budgets shrank from £750m to £616m. The county’s pension fund is now building student accommodation in the city and doing up a hotel. Over the next few months Brown will get two new worker co-ops off the ground – one in IT, the other in food. He talks about establishing a local bank for Lancashire. But right now his pride is the multimillion-pound revamp of the covered market, built by family firm Conlon using local contractors, which opens in February. ""

Chakrabortti theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/31/preston-hit-rock-bottom-took-back-control

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ck-control" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brilliant stuff . The local pension fund investing locally I like very much . No exchange risk for a start !
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 85456.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Number of social housing properties in England drops 11% in one year

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... march-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 18-to-2019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Social care charging for local authorities: 2018 to 2019
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I still believe in a town called Hope
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Capita shares plunge 30% after shock profit warning and cash call - business live
https://www.theguardian.com/business/li ... iness-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Snap!
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Whilst things are going so well...

UK car production falls for first time since 2009 as Brexit fears hit sales
Total production of 1.67m cars falls below forecast, fuelled by 10% drop in domestic buyers
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

May's slightly farcical 'british dream' stuff - aside from the fact that the american dream idea became more of a cultural aspiration than any kind of actuality once the frontier closed and there was no more land or resources to steal from people who couldn't defend themselves from the thieves in law - given the way she is talking about it at all then the thing that needs to be addressed is housing - a massive investment in affordable housing, a re-appreciation of social housing / council housing (in 1979 figures suggest 42% of the population lived in council housing) and some way to bridge the gap between income and house prices - which means a radical depreciation of house prices... none of which she or her governments will have anything to do with. And we could turn our backs on outsourcing and look at real career progression issues - even when I worked for the prison service at the turn of the century I knew two people locally who had entered the services as trades workers (as carpenters) and had risen to trades officers, then senior trades officers, and then to governor grades. There used to be a career path in the health service from maintenance and caretaking to estates management. None of which she or her governments will have anything to do with.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Crapita about to get its comeuppance, then?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Crapita about to get its comeuppance, then?
When great big beasties crash, they fall heavily onto the surrounding area
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone

"Super Blue Moon Totale Eclipse" - 31 Jan. 2018, at 11:30 UT

[youtube]8ccbe6NKiuk[/youtube]

Super blue blood moon: where and when to see rare lunar eclipse
Blue moon, super moon and blood moon will all coincide in 2018 for the first time since 1866

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... ar-eclipse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by citizenJA on Wed 31 Jan, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Major UK outsourcing group stuns City with profits warning, as new CEO admits the company is too complex and freezes its shareholder dividend

https://www.theguardian.com/business/li ... iness-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jesus
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Government decides not oppose Labour motion calling for Brexit report to be released – Politics live
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... itics-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anything happen at (not the) PMQs today?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Jonathan Walker

Verified account

@jonwalker121
1m1 minute ago
More
Something strange happened at #pmqs. David Liddington and Emily Thornberry had an intelligent debate, listening to each other's arguments and responding sensibly
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Anything happen at (not the) PMQs today?
Sparrow gave it to Thornberry
Quite right, too
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tories reckon Lidington nailed her with "old enough to vote but not old enough to use a sunbed".
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Tories reckon Lidington nailed her with "old enough to vote but not old enough to use a sunbed".

I'd be much more impressed if these arguments for changing the voting age came from a party that would not benefit in terms of votes.

Any age is more or less arbitrary. There has to be a rule.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

19 April 2017

Caroline Lucas, the co-leader of the Green Party, is calling for the Government to bring in legislation to allow 16 and 17-year-olds vote in the snap General Election.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I was actually a sceptic about giving the vote to 16/17 year olds, but the evidence of the 2014 Scottish referendum appears positive in its favour.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Ages of consent or entitlement or adulthood or responsibility are such a mess. I think there's a good argument that if you're old enough to get married or join the armed forces then you're old enough to vote. On the other hand a lot of 'consent' ages have risen to 18 in recent years although others have fallen and driving is stuck in there in the middle.

On the 'who benefits' thing, I'm trying to think of an example of an organisation voting for something that will harm it, and other than Raith Rovers voting to reduce the size of the Scottish Premier League and the Lib Dems deciding to join the coalition I can't think of another example. Except absolutely everything to do with leaving the EU, obviously. I'll get my coat.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:19 April 2017

Caroline Lucas, the co-leader of the Green Party, is calling for the Government to bring in legislation to allow 16 and 17-year-olds vote in the snap General Election.

Quite.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Still some #FBPE bods saying "It's about time Labour...."

when right now they are going to the House to secure release of the "impact" document.

More positively, I notice some #FBPE starting to reach out towards the Labour leadership position. This is good news!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -shortages" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Judge 'at wits’ end' over secure unit shortages for young people
Boy suffering racial abuse cannot be moved nearer home because of lack of places
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Still some #FBPE bods saying "It's about time Labour...."

when right now they are going to the House to secure release of the "impact" document.

More positively, I notice some #FBPE starting to reach out towards the Labour leadership position. This is good news!
I noted another of Sky's late night missives at the end of yesterday's thread. The point is, mate, Labour are moving inexorably towards your position.

They will very likely end up with something you could live with, even if not be wildly enthusiastic about.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Tories have officially given the Naylor Report a seal of approval. It'll be the biggest sell-off of NHS property ever. Tories asset stripping the NHS, dismantling for profit opportunities for the rich. Hospitals forced to sell off their land or face penalty #SaveOurNHS #r4today

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/wms/?id= ... .HLWS422.h" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trebles all round , nice pickings to be had :-)
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Peer pressure could be a bigger problem for younger voters, I was slightly concerned by reports that one, um, 'local' teenager - who narrowly missed out on being able to vote at the last election - had 'encouraged' older ones in their 'friendship group' to use their votes.
Totally unrelated to this, my kids (one of whom, coincidentally, is now old enough to vote)) collapsedes recently with the vote of no confidence in the Ukip leader, saying it meant he'd be replaced by a 'Sith Lord' who'd go on to control the galaxy.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Peer pressure certainly isn't just confined to young people, though.

That was one reason why I wasn't convinced about thus extending the franchise, but as I said the 2014 experience was reassuring in that regard.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good afternoon

I am relatively ambivalent on 16 year olds voting - but I have no issues with it being strongly considered and the experience we have suggests it is not a problem in doing so

We need increased participation of the younger generation and this may be one way to do it

This should also be part of how we bring voting into the 21st century and counter the 10-15% drop in participation since the early 90s
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Peer pressure certainly isn't just confined to young people, though.

That was one reason why I wasn't convinced about thus extending the franchise, but as I said the 2014 experience was reassuring in that regard.
True & I think it's probably covered in PSHE lessons, (which possibly means generallly 16 year olds are better prepared now, than 18 year olds were in the past)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2018 ... ainlyMacro+(mainly+macro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Brexit is fantastic project

Mainly macro
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Peer pressure certainly isn't just confined to young people, though.

Herds are very comforting, even as you go over the cliff.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Did you get that one out of a cracker? ;)
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Post by Bonnylad »

Strange resignation..." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Still some #FBPE bods saying "It's about time Labour...."

I noted another of Sky's late night missives at the end of yesterday's thread. The point is, mate, Labour are moving inexorably towards your position.

They will very likely end up with something you could live with, even if not be wildly enthusiastic about.

The real fight starts now!

Labour's position is quite predictable. Ever so fractionally more Remain-y than the Tories. It has proven electorally successful and so I see no reason why it will change.

We'll continue, as before, to have noises from different parts of the frontbench that will every spectrum of opinion can latch on to. Lots of nonsense about 'access tp the single market' and a 'jobs first Brexit' will continye. Blinkered partisans will cheer the patsy Keir Starmer as he tries, but heroically fails, to keep the near irrelevany CHarter. Decision making doesn't lie with him.

Meanwhile we'll continue our inexorable slide out of the single market without any coherent oppostion (save from ultras like Rees-Mogg). The poor will suffer. The only consolation is in laughter

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A herdsman opines.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Laughing at suffering is entirely rational.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Yes laughing at those vacuous posts is, indeed, completely rational
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

[youtube]TReCZ2auRkE[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/public-lead ... vatisation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Capita marks the beginning of the end for public service contracting
David Walker
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/public-lead ... vatisation

Capita marks the beginning of the end for public service contracting
David Walker
No sensible public authority would let a contract to a company over which hang as many question marks as Capita
Cue Chris Grayling . . .
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/the ... 86986.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Theresa May is about to make Corbyn an offer on the NHS, apparently as a test of his prime ministerial qualities"
Has Theresa May been watching The Godfather films in her oodles of spare time? Because she may be about to make Jeremy Corbyn an offer Conservatives think he could not refuse – a cross-party approach to the long-term funding of health and social care.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The 'natural party of government' so fouled up their tenure they're begging Labour leadership.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tory government really ought to get out the way. They've no confidence in themselves.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Brexiters don’t mind freedom of movement – as long as you’re rich enough to pay for it
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... pay-for-it" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This was clear as a bell for me from the start
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:
Brexiters don’t mind freedom of movement – as long as you’re rich enough to pay for it
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... pay-for-it" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This was clear as a bell for me from the start
"...the ice-cold mirthless racket of what money can buy: first, it buys you a thinktank, then it buys you a campaign, then it buys you a victory, in the prosecution of an agenda wherein all the rights that have been painstakingly, collectively accrued over decades are overturned, and then it buys you back those rights, secure in the knowledge that now only you have them. The shamelessness is so vast that it’s hard to divine its motive. Did Chandler deliberately set out to turn a universal right into an elite privilege? Or was that just an unfortunate side-effect?

I miss the days when we didn’t worry about the inner workings of the super-rich.
I miss it being irrelevant where your DNA was from, because international cooperation was such a foregone conclusion it didn’t need a genetic imprint."
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Got a bit embroiled on Twitter this afternoon.

But amidst the shouting, someone did point me at this very well written thread about the Labour Brexit strategy

PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PTO ;-)