Friday 2nd February 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Friday 2nd February 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning

Trigger warning-links.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... man-rights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... ruary-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42914493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pm-a ... laboration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 02 Feb, 2018 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 2nd February 2018

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... ruary-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consultation outcome

Strengthening enforcement in gas and electricity markets

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... escription" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consultation outcome

Availability of gluten-free foods on NHS prescription
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... 16-to-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regional rail usage: 2016 to 2017
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.local.gov.uk/about/news/ps3 ... ens-scheme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3.5 billion Right-to-Buy 'firesale' threatens scheme
New analysis by the Local Government Association reveals almost £3.5 billion in Right to Buy (RTB) discounts have been handed out to council tenants over the past six years and sparked a social housing “firesale”.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://nearlylegal.co.uk/2018/01/dismissing-fergus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dismissing Fergus
By Giles Peaker
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Council wrong' to stop care home fees, says ombudsman
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Obvious Tory selfish bin placing neighbours selling up.I was always pleasant even when faced with accusatory letter of blocking drains with pads,pushed through letter box (unspoken assumption/suspiscion of adapted property)and follow up letter from water authority.The fact of impossibilty not withstanding.There is always one up their own arse ignoramus in any community.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Not so subtle"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

:lol:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

?

;)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

I'm just off to Oxford for the day so will pop my head round the door when I'm back later.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]CbiPDSxFgd8[/youtube]
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Two rather contrasting by-election results yesterday. And no, the Sunderland one wasn't "ABOUT BREXIT" however much the #FBFE melts proclaim otherwise :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Two rather contrasting by-election results yesterday. And no, the Sunderland one wasn't "ABOUT BREXIT" however much the #FBFE melts proclaim otherwise :D
Indeed. A Brexit effect might have had precisely the opposite outcome!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

In other news, Sadiq seems to be on rather better terms with Jez these days doesn't he?

Which, to avoid any doubt, is a thoroughly good thing.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

A rare commendation from me for BBC Laura K giving May a proper hard time!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

good-afternoon, everyone
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://chuffed.org/project/richard-handleys-inquest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Richard Handley's Inquest

@HandleyInquest
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42908896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patients 'sent home to no heat or light'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42908896

Patients 'sent home to no heat or light'
Helps them become more "self reliant" or something.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... man-rights (as referenced, earlier, by HindleA)
China commends Theresa May for 'sidestepping' human rights

“May will definitely not make any comment contrary to the goals of her China trip … For the prime minister, the losses outweigh the gains if she appeases the British media at the cost of the visit’s friendly atmosphere.”

The Global Times’ Chinese-language edition agreed western media “mudslinging” was an exercise in futility. “Nothing can stop China-UK cooperation: noise and nagging will be carried away by the wind,” it said. (Guardian)
Nothing, provided that the UK does exactly what we want it to do in exchange for the odd treat. Muscle-flexing, and a calculated jibe - (deliberately) not even very well disguised as a compliment. This should be very worrying for everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I was prepared for the news in the article to be depressing but it was worse.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:I was prepared for the news in the article to be depressing but it was worse.
Yes - the header should probably have read "China commands Theresa May . . ."
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Although China probably only runs things along Theresa May's preferred lines, anyway - so I'm assuming that she doesn't see this as a humiliation. However, it may not play so well with the public ("Brexiters" or otherwise). She's not very good at all this stuff, is she?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Corbyn will be in Amber Valley tomorrow at a secret location revealed once you reserve your seat by 4.30pm today.How the fuck do I know if I can get there if I don't know where it is if I wanted to go.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Shame Izzard wasn't elected,though I hope some of his ideas come to fruition.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Corbyn will be in Amber Valley tomorrow at a secret location revealed once you reserve your seat by 4.30pm today.How the fuck do I know if I can get there if I don't know where it is if I wanted to go.
Don't tell me that the Labour Party has bought into the "post-geography" crap . . .
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bex Bailey sent me a nice card and has neat writing.This may be crucial in my decision next Saturday in Arkwright Town which was relocated twenty odd years ago due to methane gas.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Bex Bailey sent me a nice card and has neat writing.This may be crucial in my decision next Saturday in Arkwright Town which was relocated twenty odd years ago due to methane gas.
No roll-up enclosed? (Although that would probably be classed as an electoral bribe.)

Long live handwritten, though!
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

I know we don't do polls, but that yougov poll is astonishing. The Tories are defying gravity considering their complete disarray.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PF working hard for vote,recap what we discussed etc.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:In other news, Sadiq seems to be on rather better terms with Jez these days doesn't he?

They clearly loathe one another. I'm with the mayor.

The Campaign group have never forgotten anything, and will never forgive. See the composition of the shadow cabinet.
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Fri 02 Feb, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The response to the question "can you say the alphabet backwards" is a good guide.
They are various possibilities.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Two rather contrasting by-election results yesterday. And no, the Sunderland one wasn't "ABOUT BREXIT" however much the #FBFE melts proclaim otherwise :D

What a peculiar view. Why?

If you oppose Brexit surely you'd vote for one of the parties opposed to it, as I do, not for one of the big two with the same policy of carrying it out.

Or is this your "Labour's cunning plan to stop Brexit" thing?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:In other news, Sadiq seems to be on rather better terms with Jez these days doesn't he?

They clearly loathe one another. I'm with the mayor.

The Campaign group have never forgotten anything, and will never forgive. See the composition of the shadow cabinet.
Loathe is a strong word....any evidence to back up the use of the word in conjunction with word clearly

I doubt they are best friends but it is a long way from there to loathe
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:I know we don't do polls, but that yougov poll is astonishing. The Tories are defying gravity considering their complete disarray.
The polls are worthless....there is no test outside a general election and their recent prediction accuracy has been down there with yours

I also sense some glee in your post
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

If you oppose Brexit surely you'd vote for one of the parties opposed to it, as I do, not for one of the big two with the same policy of carrying it out.

AK is our by election guru (sorry AK) so if his initial reaction says that this was not about Brexit then I tend to believe him over you unless you have some working to back it up
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:A rare commendation from me for BBC Laura K giving May a proper hard time!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Woeful
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Aha I think you misunderstood me. My fault - not entirely clear.

There were two by-elections, in Sunderland and Falmouth. Which would you predict to be more strongly Leave / Remain? So, if Brexit were a big issue, an allegedly pro-Brexit Labour party would perhaps have fared relatively better in Sunderland and worse in Falmouth, the opposite of what happened.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

]

Got you, thanks.

I think we can agree that nobody thinks imuch to do with Brexit.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... nsultation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consultation outcome

Fixing our broken housing market: consultation

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... al-finance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consultation outcome

Proposed changes to the prudential framework of capital finance

The government published a consultation document on the proposed changes to Local Authorities Investments Guidance and the Minimum Revenue Provision Guidance in November 2017. This document sets out decisions the government has taken, as a basis for updating the prudential framework.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I think May might actually be helping Labour - she keeps making out that they are for staying in - this is the same theme that Baker uses in the HoC as well

So we have the Tories saying Labour are staying in, the FBPE lot are saying the opposite. The party themselves are being nnon-commital

Difficult for the attacks to stick if they are so different

Nobody thinks the Tories are for a close relationship with Europe - some backbenchers are and Hammond tries but May is pretty clear they are still going for the red lines
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:I know we don't do polls, but that yougov poll is astonishing. The Tories are defying gravity considering their complete disarray.
Brexit, Brexit and Brexit.

Which opens at least the possibility that polls are in fact overstating their likely support in an election campaign when the focus *will* significantly be on other issues.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

May is defending a line that her own government has already surrendered. Only last week, Philip Hammond, the chancellor, David Davis, the Brexit secretary, and Greg Clark, the business secretary, signed a joint letter to business leaders promising maximum continuity of existing arrangements in transition. It has explicit reassurance on the movement of labour. They wrote: “Citizens will continue to be able to come and live and work in the UK, with no new barriers to taking up employment.”

It is worth noting also that May has nothing to say about how limiting the entitlements of EU citizens in transition affects Britons wanting to live and work abroad after March 2019. She cannot conceive of free movement as a reciprocal benefit, only as a cost inflicted by “them” on “us”. It would not occur to her that pinching stingily at the rights of foreigners diminishes UK citizenship too.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -111678796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(cJA bold)

Apologies for the lengthy quote, I'm tired. I've felt this latest pronouncement from Theresa May like a pain in my body. She's a liar, she's no integrity and she's not trustworthy. No one is safe, no one.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:

They clearly loathe one another
Ah, I forgot that you were a body language - not to mention mind reading - expert. In addition to all your other skills :P
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Theresa May, I fear that both of us will have to get used to disappointment
Marina Hyde

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -fact-free" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's an image of T May shaking hands with Xi Jinping in China within the article
May has on her signature chain links 'round neck and wrist
Xi Jinping has an odd expression on his face, like a distressed person attempting a smile
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

They clearly loathe one another
Ah, I forgot that you were a body language - not to mention mind reading - expert. In addition to all your other skills :P

Lol. I don't think it needs any super powers to know what Khan thinks of Corbyn, or Corbyn's attitude towards all who moved against him.

Forgive and forget is not the Campaign group way.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Which opens at least the possibility that polls are in fact overstating their likely support in an election campaign when the focus *will* significantly be on other issues.

You think the Tories are doing well on the issue of Brexit?

Do you follow the news?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... na-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin Rowson on Theresa May’s troubles home and away
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

You think the Tories are doing well on the issue of Brexit?

Do you follow the news?
Even leaving aside the pro-Tory leanings of much of the media, most voters don't follow these things in detail.

They still think that May and the Tories are "pro-Brexit", and that is enough for them.