Wednesday 7th February 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 7th February 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 7th February 2018

Post by SpinningHugo »

tinybgoat

The US links you gave last night are about a different experience altogether than London.

In the US the problem is complete deregulation. So developers build large units for the rich, but fewer units overall.

We need to regulate for density (ie you must build X units) not for price. The higher the price the better the quality (all other things being equal) and so, overtime, the better the improvement of the housing stock.

We need smarter regulation, not no regulation.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mill ... -practices" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Millions to benefit from enhanced rights as government responds to Taylor review of modern working practices"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -up-to-4bn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tesco equal pay claim could cost supermarket up to £4bn

FWIW I got a fair few grand ,some years as a home help for the Council in lieu of taking action
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

To say Bernard Jenkin is living in Cloud Cuckoo Land would be a gross insult to the government of Cloud Cuckoo Land, who would surely have educated him better.

How can these Tories just come back again and say there will be a customs border with the EU, but no there won't be tariffs from the EU and no there won't be a border in Ireland either?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Foreign leaders think UK has 'lost the plot' by pursuing Brexit, says a former head diplomat
Sir Simon Fraser accuses Theresa May of 'mushy thinking' over her promise of a new 'Global Britain' outside the EU – branding it just a 'slogan'
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42973419" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Germany coalition talks: Merkel's conservatives and SPD clinch deal
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... funding-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Councils give cautious welcome to extra £150m for social care
Cash injection is a temporary measure that will not ease wider pressures, local authorities warn

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publ ... 6/HCWS451/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

(EU) Position paper "Transitional Arrangements in the Withdrawal Agreement"

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/publica ... reement_en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Just-in-time: The production system Brexit is set to sabotage

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... o-sabotage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

History of Labour

https://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and- ... bour-party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Very decent result for Labour in yesterday's Welsh Assembly byelection, especially given the tragic circumstances of the vacancy.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

How utterly pathetic Greg Hands and Rachael Maskell were on the Daily Politics.

Boooooooooo.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:How utterly pathetic Greg Hands and Rachael Maskell were on the Daily Politics.

Boooooooooo.

I bet they weren't quite as bad as this post - can you explain what the point of your comment was?

What did they discuss?
Why were they 'pathetic'? etc, etc
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42973419
Hopefully the SPD membership will tell its leaders what they can do with it :twisted:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

SpinningHugo wrote:History of Labour

https://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and- ... bour-party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was last week. So, was it any good?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

They discussed how they're not going to discuss what the UK wants from Brexit. Greg Hands kept saying he can't say anything about our objectives because that's for the negotiation and Andrew Neil kept saying that the EU has published its objectives so where is our equivalent and Greg Hands said he can't say as that's for the negotiations..... and so on round in circles.

Maskell just said Labour would have done things differently and little else. She didn't seem to have much to contribute at all and also didn't want to discuss what the UK is trying to achieve by Brexit.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Willow904 wrote:They discussed how they're not going to discuss what the UK wants from Brexit. Greg Hands kept saying he can't say anything about our objectives because that's for the negotiation and Andrew Neil kept saying that the EU has published its objectives so where is our equivalent and Greg Hands said he can't say as that's for the negotiations..... and so on round in circles.

Maskell just said Labour would have done things differently and little else. She didn't seem to have much to contribute at all and also didn't want to discuss what the UK is trying to achieve by Brexit.
That is more informative, thanks Willow

I don't blame them really - that is what I would do if I was them, avoid saying anything

There is a vacuum at the moment and the media is looking for anything they can make a story out of - I bet everyone is trying to avoid Brexit questions!

The situation is such that anything more substantive has to come from senior party leaders

There are only bad or worse options at the moment - there is no policy that will be popular and so until we get something more concrete about what the final state will be then I bet no-one will say much

The consequences of the withdrawal agreement and the transition will come in to view soon eneough and that may be enough to provoke some more 'risky' interventions. At least Labour have a respionse to the second one of those questions
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:History of Labour

That was last week. So, was it any good?

I think so, you can watch it online at the link,
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... ssion=true
Foreign leaders think UK has 'lost the plot' by pursuing Brexit, says a former head diplomat
Sir Simon Fraser accuses Theresa May of 'mushy thinking' over her promise of a new 'Global Britain' outside the EU – branding it just a 'slogan'
"Global Britain" is just a slogan?? Say it ain't so!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Just read the responses to PMQ over at the G - wow, it is only when you see the questions and the answers written down to you see the absolute waste of time this charade is.

There are no questions where she actually answers, apart from the plants. The rest is just pathetic. PMQ has always been a bit like this but Cameron took it down a very long way and May has continued

Just like there seems to be no consequence for lying now, Cameron and May see that no-one looks at the questions or answers....it is just who can give the most unpleasant personal attack and, to be fair to labour, neither Miliband or Corbyn tend to go in for that approach with as much gusto as their opponents
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Code: Select all

May refuses to rule out US getting access to NHS contracts as part of trade deal with UK

Sir Vince Cable, the Lib Dem leader, says America wants access to NHS contracts as part of a future UK-US trade deal. Will May exclude the NHS?

May says they have only just started talking to the US. She will go into those talks trying to get the best deal for the UK.

May refuses to rule out US being able to bid for NHS contracts as part of post-Brexit trade deal.

(Politics Live, Guardian)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I don't know what happened there (above).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:I don't know what happened there (above).
I think you clicked

Code: Select all

code
rather than
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re PMQs

Inevitably the chorus of #FBPE Tweeters were having a right go at Corbyn for not having mentioned Brexit, despite him having absolutely nailed May on crime.

Then Hilary Benn completely floored her on customs union / Irish border.

I'm sure they are all apologising for these unwarranted and counterproductive attacks on Labour.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh - good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Vince Cable

@vincecable

Pathetic non-committal response to my question at #PMQs stands in stark contrast to guarantees given by EU trade negotiator with US that #NHS would be protected. Brexit Britain in a far weaker negotiating position.
1:30 PM - Feb 7, 2018 (Politics Live, Guardian)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Re PMQs

Inevitably the chorus of #FBPE Tweeters were having a right go at Corbyn for not having mentioned Brexit, despite him having absolutely nailed May on crime.

I'm sure they are all apologising for these unwarranted and counterproductive attacks on Labour.
Benn Jnr and Corbyn working together?

Things must be looking up ;)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Indeed!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Hilary Benn‏
@hilarybennmp
No answer from the PM just now to my question on why she is so determined to leave a customs union with the EU when this would be completely incompatible with keeping an open border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

@GavinBarwell
Replying to @hilarybennmp
.@hilarybennmp She gave a very clear answer: staying in the Customs Union would prevent us from doing trade deals with other countries

@hilarybennmp
Thanks, but that wasn't the question I asked. It was about how we keep the Northern Ireland border with the Republic without checks or infrastructure if we are leaving the customs union and replacing it with a free trade agreement.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

What gave you the impression they were working together?

Corbyn (very almost) never asks about Brexit, and if Benn is called that is what he is certain to ask about.

Of course Benn could have asked Corbyn a near identical question on the customs union/Ireland with regard to Labour's position (and would have received much the same reply),
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

What gave you the impression they were working together?

Corbyn (very almost) never asks about Brexit, and if Benn is called that is what he is certain to ask about.

Of course Benn could have asked Corbyn a near identical question on the customs union/Ireland with regard to Labour's position (and would have received much the same reply),
:roll:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42973419
Hopefully the SPD membership will tell its leaders what they can do with it :twisted:
Am told it's likely to pass with the membership. I hope so.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Where's the money for extra cops coming from?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 017-0473-z" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Coming together in a rightward direction: post-1980s changing attitudes to the British welfare state
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Eh?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Hilary Benn‏
@hilarybennmp
No answer from the PM just now to my question on why she is so determined to leave a customs union with the EU when this would be completely incompatible with keeping an open border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

@GavinBarwell
.@hilarybennmp She gave a very clear answer: staying in the Customs Union would prevent us from doing trade deals with other countries

@hilarybennmp
Thanks, but that wasn't the question I asked. It was about how we keep the Northern Ireland border with the Republic without checks or infrastructure if we are leaving the customs union and replacing it with a free trade agreement.

Labour has not ruled out a customs Union with the EU and they have also said no hard border in Ireland

Based on that the answer would have been different if given from a Labour spokesperson

Note that Benn used 'a' not 'the'
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Eh?
I assume from the forest of money trees the Tories found
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

howsillyofme1 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Hilary Benn‏
@hilarybennmp

@GavinBarwell

@hilarybennmp

Labour has not ruled out a customs Union with the EU and they have also said no hard border in Ireland

Based on that the answer would have been different if given from a Labour spokesperson

Note that Benn used 'a' not 'the'
He used 'the' in the second Tweet :lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... pean-court" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/british-group-wins-right-to-take-brexit-case-to-european-court
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I think the context is different Paul

He used 'the' for the current state and 'a' for the future. Perfectly consistent!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

howsillyofme1 wrote:I think the context is different Paul

He used 'the' for the current state and 'a' for the future. Perfectly consistent!
Fortuitously (wrt Benn) or otherwise I think you are correct ;-)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Faisal Islam‏Verified account
@faisalislam

NEW:
Leaked internal Government Brexit assessment shows No Deal economic hit to Northern Ireland at 12% over next decade and a half.

North East England at 16%. 11% even with comprehensive EU trade deal - Sky sources

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

I do love these subtle but no doubt vital distinctions between the customs noon and a customs union that is identical in all material respects.

Very productive.

Labour needs to adopt Benn's position and cut the shadow secretary for international trade loose. He and the other deniers of reality will be no loss.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 017-0473-z

Coming together in a rightward direction: post-1980s changing attitudes to the British welfare state
From 1979 until present day the UK's political leadership
Tory, almost 26 years
Labour, 13 years
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
May I get you tea or coffee, PorFavor?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Thousands of people have joined in the past few weeks, most of them to vote against a GroKo apparently.

Why are you so keen for the SPD to drop below AfD (and possibly the Greens and die Linke) in the polls anyway?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Japanese investors to meet PM May on Thursday as Brexit concerns mount

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-brita ... KKBN1FR2BS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:I do love these subtle but no doubt vital distinctions between the customs noon and a customs union that is identical in all material respects.

Very productive.

Labour needs to adopt Benn's position and cut the shadow secretary for international trade loose. He and the other deniers of reality will be no loss.

they are subtle, and I would not say vital, but are pretty important

The fact you don't understand the difference between 'the' and 'a' is not my issue

Seeing you are so keen on joining 'the EU Customs Union' perhaps you can tell us how this is done?

whilst you are at it how do become a member of 'the Single Market' - you are not allowed to say 'via EFTA' by the way
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Thousands of people have joined in the past few weeks, most of them to vote against a GroKo apparently.

Why are you so keen for the SPD to drop below AfD (and possibly the Greens and die Linke) in the polls anyway?
I want the best government in a key ally.