Food defrosting because it was too cold.

Random Banter
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Food defrosting because it was too cold.

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Here's a weird freezer fact for you. I've got one of your bog standard fridge freezers and after a few days away I came back to find the food in my freezer was half defrosted. After investigation it turns out that the thermostat on bog standard fridge freezers is only concerned with the temperature in the fridge. So if the ambient temperature drops low enough that the fridge doesn't need to kick into action then it just sits there doing nothing and the freezer begins to defrost because it's all one system. Which was news to me. Apparently they don't like anything below 10 degrees C. When I got back my place was at 4 degrees C.

So it had got so cold it had partially defrosted my enormous reduced price cheese collection. My cut price Cambozola had become soft to the touch, my oak smoked Yorkshire Wensleydale smoked using oak chips to give a subtle smoke flavour was a bit squidgy. It was my brother's girlfriend who informed me that cheese could be frozen with no ill effects and ever since then my collection has just kept growing. "Oh look there's a big chunk of Y Fenni Welsh beer and mustard cheese for 96p I must buy it forthwith" I'd say to myself. It's really hard to say no.

Anyway getting back to my point, don't let your kitchen get down to low temperatures or your fridge freezer will probably start defrosting your food.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Re: Food defrosting because it was too cold.

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I thought that was interesting.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

It was, I learnt 2 new things, sadly too late to buy the 50p President brie in jack Fulton's (because fridge is already suffering from backlog of 50p camemberts & various bits of once green, but now on there way to pink & sticky, semi sentient cheeses.)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:I thought that was interesting.
I did too, tbf.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

After said partial defrosting I've tested a couple of my cheeses now that they are solid again and they seem fine.

So all is well in my frozen cheese world it would seem.

I've got a wide selection if anyone is willing to enter the wonderful world of cheese.