Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th February 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th February 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/badg ... c7f4797b2e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Badger cull rethink as bovine TB continues to spread

A strategy that led to almost 20,000 badgers being trapped and killed last year is being overhauled after it failed to stem the rise in bovine tuberculosis.

Michael Gove, the environment secretary, wants to increase culls by abolishing a cap on the number of licences that Natural England can issue each year. He also wants to sanction culls in areas where infection rates are far below the worst affected areas, the southwest of England and Wales. More than 42,000 cows were slaughtered prematurely last year because they tested positive for the disease. A review of the government’s 25-year strategy to eradicate bovine tuberculosis will “consider all the drivers for disease spread and how they might be addressed”. Badgers are claimed to be a reservoir of tuberculosis that can spread to cattle.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) said the review was “not a review of badger culling”. “The review will not re-visit the rationale for interventions in the strategy,” Defra said. The number of badgers culled has risen from 615 animals in 2014 to 19,274 in 2017. But the number of cows that succumbed to tuberculosis has also risen in that period, from 27,474 to 42,000
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th February 2018

Post by HindleA »

I can't see above but I can guess.

Stalin,Dr Crippen,Jack the Ripper,Corbyn

Vote Ao
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Funnily enough or possibly encouraged by Roger I'm off to the library.Obviously not the same one,tsk.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... sian-money" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welcome to Limassolgrad: the city getting rich on Russian money
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Don't think I would like to go back there,not down to that particularity.Sometimes memories of time/place are best preserved.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Theresa May doesn't seem to be winning over her audience in Munich.

And why does she deliver speeches as though she's seeing them for the first time?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Q to Theresa May: Is the hoped-for security deal contingent upon the "Brexit" trade deal? (paraphrased)

A:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

UK will need 'thousands' more customs officers after Brexit, Dutch MP warns

Netherlands plans to boost customs staff by 750 as reality of Britain’s EU departure sinks in

In a letter to parliament on Friday, the deputy finance minister, Menno Snel, said the cabinet had “decided that the Customs and Food and Wares agencies should immediately begin recruiting and training more workers”.

He said the government was working on the basis of two scenarios: that Britain leaves the EU with no deal in place, or that it leaves on similar terms to those of the EU’s recent trade deal with Canada.(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... etherlands
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote:Q to Theresa May: Is the hoped-for security deal contingent upon the "Brexit" trade deal? (paraphrased)

A:
Any question will get the same 'answer', they might as well not bother.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Q to Theresa May: Is the hoped-for security deal contingent upon the "Brexit" trade deal? (paraphrased)

A:
Any question will get the same 'answer', they might as well not bother.
Still, she did give a name-check to Jim Callaghan for his earlier efforts.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ukip members will decide[today] whether Henry Bolton has a future as leader of the crisis-hit party.

Bolton said he still has “strong affections” for his former girlfriend and has compared the scrutiny of his private life to that faced by Diana, Princess of Wales. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... a-suffered

Edited to add the "[today]"

Edited again - just heard him on TV comparing his scrutiny to that in "the Profumo affair"!
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:Morning

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/badg ... c7f4797b2e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A strategy that led to almost 20,000 badgers being trapped and killed last year is being overhauled after it failed to stem the rise in bovine tuberculosis.

Michael Gove, the environment secretary, wants to increase culls by abolishing a cap on the number of licences that Natural England can issue each year. He also wants to sanction culls in areas where infection rates are far below the worst affected areas, the southwest of England and Wales. More than 42,000 cows were slaughtered prematurely last year because they tested positive for the disease. A review of the government’s 25-year strategy to eradicate bovine tuberculosis will “consider all the drivers for disease spread and how they might be addressed”. Badgers are claimed to be a reservoir of tuberculosis that can spread to cattle.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) said the review was “not a review of badger culling”. “The review will not re-visit the rationale for interventions in the strategy,” Defra said. The number of badgers culled has risen from 615 animals in 2014 to 19,274 in 2017. But the number of cows that succumbed to tuberculosis has also risen in that period, from 27,474 to 42,000
You read the beginning with hope, and then the rest with despair. As with so much else, a triumph of ideology over evidence.
This hasn't worked so we'll do more of it.
Gove's unexpected popularity outside the NFU is going to collapse.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Not for the first time in these things, nor for the last, we appear to be saying

1. We are unilaterally turning our back on settled arrangements
2. We want to carry on with all of the benefits of those arrangements but we reject the current regime of administration and oversight
3. If you don't let us do what we want it will all be your fault.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Today I have mostly been winning the valentines raffle at a local jeweler's shop. (I only went in to ask about a watch repair, which they couldn't do. I bought a raffle ticket anyway. It won).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

adam wrote:Today I have mostly been winning the valentines raffle at a local jeweler's shop. (I only went in to ask about a watch repair, which they couldn't do. I bought a raffle ticket anyway. It won).
What have you won?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:
adam wrote:Today I have mostly been winning the valentines raffle at a local jeweler's shop. (I only went in to ask about a watch repair, which they couldn't do. I bought a raffle ticket anyway. It won).
What have you won?
It's in a big cellophane package and I haven't opened it yet (I, too, find myself in the library just now). There's a bear, wine, chocolates, some wine glasses, some voucher looking things...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

adam wrote:Not for the first time in these things, nor for the last, we appear to be saying

2. We want to carry on with all of the benefits of those arrangements but we reject the current regime of administration and oversight
The only message the UK Government ever seems to convey to the EU is, "So, sort it!" (To our advantage, of course.)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

adam wrote:Not for the first time in these things, nor for the last, we appear to be saying

Its basically "IF WE SHOUT AT THEM VERY LOUD, they will do what we want" innit?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

y THE WEar EghCqqQ
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

I love the 1980s

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/c ... cb34b7?vcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of these people resisting this (eg Nandy) need to realise it isn;t their party any longer.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:I love the 1980s

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/c ... cb34b7?vcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of these people resisting this (eg Nandy) need to realise it isn;t their party any longer.
Looks like it could well be sharp practice from Corbyn's opponents to me, but what do I know?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:I love the 1980s

Looks like it could well be sharp practice from Corbyn's opponents to me, but what do I know?
Good morning

That is the way I read it too -although a poorly written article mainly based on conjecture from the author

The leadership now has more power than a year ago, and so the anti-Corbyn faction will try to use whatever tricks are available to get the advantage - such as timing of resignations and hastily arranged elections to stop the other side organising

It looks like this may have happened and the leadership managed to stop it

Not pretty,but the rough and tumble of politics - it happens in all 'clubs' where there are elections

Yet another storm in a teacup being blown out of propostion by the Labour right wing and their tame journalists
Last edited by howsillyofme1 on Sat 17 Feb, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A lot,actually and evidence suggests not a knee jerk unthinking reacter,easilly fooled.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Recorded hours of the winter olympics,haven't watched any of it,certainly a previous enthusiasm for watching/following sport has certainly waned.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I think if someone, such as Lisa Nandy, doesn't feel the party is no longer 'theirs' then I think they are better placed to judge that than some anonymous self-aggrandizing poster on an internet forum

I also was under the impression that the party 'belongs' to members, affiiliates and everyone else that contributes. The worst period for me, as a member, was definitely during the Blair years - the domination of the party by the centre was total. I was not there for the Militant years so cannot comment on what it was like then
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frightful_oik wrote:y THE WEar EghCqqQ
Well, it (sort of) rhymes with your tag-line - but otherwise I don't quite know what to make of it!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I know that people offered similar "advice" to the likes of Corbyn and McDonnell in the 1990s. Just putting that out there.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Derbyshire "no council tax rises" Tories set biggest hike for 15 years.,half a million cut in learning disability services(aka according to one councillor "catering for failures",we have a particular brand of obnoxious Toryism in these parts)and unknown job losses,certainly privatisation of still retained in own house home help service or whatever they have rebranded it this week has long been their aim.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

We have a big wheel in Chesterfield market,I gave it a miss,I like roller coasters,spinning around at speed,going upside down etc don't like being suspended in mid air for more than a nanosecond.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Personally I can't really get too excited about the minutiae of internal Labour Party politics but then I'm not a member...

I'm intrigued as to why this Corbyn stuff has come out now - it's the kind of thing that comes out near an election.

BTW I'm in Oxford all next week so will be missing from here - OK more than usual.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Suffice to say there is a lot of guff/mythology which still retains.The biggest battle was not falling asleep through meetings.In any case,even "the fixer" Kilfoyle states little comparison.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Personally I can't really get too excited about the minutiae of internal Labour Party politics but then I'm not a member...

I'm intrigued as to why this Corbyn stuff has come out now - it's the kind of thing that comes out near an election.

BTW I'm in Oxford all next week so will be missing from here - OK more than usual.
The real point is, its pretty weaksauce anyway innit? Maybe they are indeed putting the really damning stuff on hold until there is a GE......or perhaps not.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Always thought Roger was a spy.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

HindleA wrote:Always thought Roger was a spy.
Was it the drinking tea thing?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Centre Parcs and the Southbank Centre* have pulled advertising from the Mail, over Littlejohn's homophobic column. Hopefully more companies follow suit.

*TSC say they have no more planned.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Revealed: rightwing groups plot to ditch EU safety standards on food and drugs

An unprecedented drive to lobby ministers to ditch strict EU safety standards in order to secure a US trade deal is being drawn up by a transatlantic group of conservative thinktanks, it has emerged.

Organisers of the self-styled “shadow trade talks”, which are set to include 10 leading rightwing and libertarian groups from the UK and the US, are preparing to push their “ideal free trade agreement” that would allow the import of US meats, drugs and chemicals banned in Britain.

The conservative groups involved include the Heritage Foundation, which has pushed for the lifting of environmental protections, and the Cato Institute, co-founded by billionaire oil barons Charles and David Koch. In Britain the project is being overseen by the Initiative for Free Trade (IFT), an organisation founded by the hard-Brexit advocate and Tory MEP Daniel Hannan.
Advertisement

According to a document outlining the project, mistakenly published online by the IFT, the groups will “hash out an ‘ideal’ US-UK free trade agreement (FTA)” that includes Britain recognising US standards which are widely seen as weaker than those adopted by the EU. Such a move would allow imports of chlorinated chicken and hormone-reared beef to be sold in the UK for the first time. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ety-checks
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"A spokesperson for the IFT said the plan was an internal document not meant for public consumption.

“We don’t hope to pressure the government to do anything,” she said. “We hope to provide government with as much information as possible on the potential gains of such a UK-US trade deal. If consumers don’t want to buy products made to different standards to our own, they will see the US flag on the packet and not buy it,” she said."
Terrifying response from the spokesperson, really. Frightfully defensive. The disclosure of their agenda puts them in a bad light. People like safe things, a clean environment. Think-tanks seek influencing decision-makers, no secret that, why deny it? Consumers won't have the luxury of choice.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
"A spokesperson for the IFT said the plan was an internal document not meant for public consumption.

“We don’t hope to pressure the government to do anything,” she said. “We hope to provide government with as much information as possible on the potential gains of such a UK-US trade deal. If consumers don’t want to buy products made to different standards to our own, they will see the US flag on the packet and not buy it,” she said."
Terrifying response from the spokesperson, really. Frightfully defensive. The disclosure of their agenda puts them in a bad light. People like safe things, a clean environment. Think-tanks seek influencing decision-makers, no secret that, why deny it? Consumers won't have the luxury of choice.

"We're only sorry we got found out - you weren't supposed to know"
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

No terrorists here guv....

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2018/02/16 ... he-canary/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Corbyn’s meeting with Czech spy definitely ended The Cold War claims The Canary"
It’s also alleged that Mr Corbyn met Mikhail Gorbachev in secret in 1983. During this meeting Corbyn was able to defeat Gorbachev at chess three games to none. He did this by noticing that Gorbachev would eat Oreo’s whilst playing. When Gorbachev didn’t split an Oreo in two before a move, Corbyn had the advantage following the defeat, Gorbachev was so profoundly depressed by Corbyn’s intellectual capabilities he immediately made plans for ending the cold war.”
:o
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Pearly
‏@londonlass666
3h3 hours ago
More
Just heard Daily Mail readers are threatening to boycott Center Parcs because they've pulled their ads after the Littlejohn/Tom Daley article, instantly making Centre Parcs the most attractive holiday 'dickhead free' destination of the year.
:D
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

adam wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
What have you won?
It's in a big cellophane package and I haven't opened it yet (I, too, find myself in the library just now). There's a bear, wine, chocolates, some wine glasses, some voucher looking things...
Excellent.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Its basically "IF WE SHOUT AT THEM VERY LOUD, they will do what we want" innit?
SAUSAGE EGG AND CHIPS!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

[youtube]zGcp3_OT2-0[/youtube]
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sat 17 Feb, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

:dance:
(slinky)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ety-checks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ideal’ UK-US trade deal would see banned products sold in post-Brexit Britain, says accidentally released memo
Lordy but are we taking back control OR WHAT?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TM says politicians gave decision to British public and that the public should be able to rely on politicians to keep their word (paraphrased but essentially that) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
[youtube]zGcp3_OT2-0[/youtube]

That is a fantastic version of the song........even if the French is a bit ropey - in fact that makes it so nice to listen to I think