Thursday 22nd March 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 22nd March 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 22nd March 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dutch-firm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post-Brexit passports set to be made by Franco-Dutch firm
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -cuts-bite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Police taking days to respond to 999 calls as budget cuts bite
Watchdog says fact that funding has fallen by a fifth since 2010 has put forces under stress

https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk ... ng-strain/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43475030" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Radical change' needed on countryside

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... published/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Morning.

Fascinating article in the Guardian this morning:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... d-novichok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
‘It’s got me’ – lonely death of Soviet scientist poisoned by novichok
Andrei Zheleznyakov was working on chemical weapons in the 1980s when a hood malfunction exposed him to the deadly nerve agent
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Oh and this:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/th ... ar-BBKvMBf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A senior Russian Foreign Ministry official says that Russia won't recognize results of an investigation being conducted by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons of the poisoning of an ex-spy in Britain.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Brexiteers getting a lesson in public procurement rules under both the EU and WTO I see...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Brexiteers getting a lesson in public procurement rules under both the EU and WTO I see...

Lots of "but the French don't tender theirs" comments. That's because they're produced by the French government. Privatisation eh?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

refitman wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Lots of "but the French don't tender theirs" comments. That's because they're produced by the French government. Privatisation eh?
The most telling thing about this is that the French firm Gemalto have a factory in the UK. So jobs and wages (and taxes) could well remain British anyway, it's just the profits that won't, so who do the Brexiters really care about?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Willow904 wrote:Oh and this:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/th ... ar-BBKvMBf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A senior Russian Foreign Ministry official says that Russia won't recognize results of an investigation being conducted by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons of the poisoning of an ex-spy in Britain.

Morning all

I have no support whatever for Putin's fascist state but I also am disgusted with the way that the UK Government have behaved

In particular, Boris the Clown has made some comments that suggest that guilt has already been determined and also their lack of following some of the protocols at the beginning has allowed the Russians to cast doubt over any findings that will be made - I think that is the main point that the actual article makes as well and the headline puts a certain perspective on it

I do not trust Putin at all but that is the same level of trust i have in Boris the Clown in telling the truth - my confidence in the British Government is only slightly higher than this as well
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I've just been watching a video of an interview with the Cambridge Analytica whistleblower Christopher Wylie hosted by Byline Media and posted on Facebook (yes Facebook!). I've only watched some of it but a couple of interesting things came up. Firstly, he's not the only whistleblower, there are others who haven't gone public but have been talking to the same media outlets who have been exposing the story which leads to the second interesting thing where he talks about how the small team at the Observer, including Carole Cadwalladr, who helped him break his story, had collaborated extensively with The New York Times and C4 and one other media outlet which haven't yet broke their story. Which means there is another story, something we haven't heard yet, still to come.

Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:Oh and this:

Morning all

I have no support whatever for Putin's fascist state but I also am disgusted with the way that the UK Government have behaved

In particular, Boris the Clown has made some comments that suggest that guilt has already been determined and also their lack of following some of the protocols at the beginning has allowed the Russians to cast doubt over any findings that will be made - I think that is the main point that the actual article makes as well and the headline puts a certain perspective on it

I do not trust Putin at all but that is the same level of trust i have in Boris the Clown in telling the truth - my confidence in the British Government is only slightly higher than this as well
The OPCW's independent findings need to be accepted by everyone who has signed up to them, or it becomes pointless and powerless. This story is much bigger than the UK government. If anything, I suspect the Tories would like this whole story to go away, because if Russia disengages from world bodies such as the OPCW, the Tories will be under even greater pressure to stem the flow of Russian money into this country and row back from their Russian donors and connections, something I don't think they are in a hurry to do. Their rush to condemn is the rush to keep the story confined to a Litvinenko-style isolated incident, with a minimal tit-for-tat expulsion of diplomats in response, before a quiet return to business as usual. Given their close ties to the Russians already hitting the headlines it seems to me the doubt over Russian guilt serves the Tories as much as Putin.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

The OPCW's independent findings need to be accepted by everyone who has signed up to them, or it becomes pointless and powerless. This story is much bigger than the UK government. If anything, I suspect the Tories would like this whole story to go away, because if Russia disengages from world bodies such as the OPCW, the Tories will be under even greater pressure to stem the flow of Russian money into this country and row back from their Russian donors and connections, something I don't think they are in a hurry to do. Their rush to condemn is the rush to keep the story confined to a Litvinenko-style isolated incident, with a minimal tit-for-tat expulsion of diplomats in response, before a quiet return to business as usual. Given their close ties to the Russians already hitting the headlines it seems to me the doubt over Russian guilt serves the Tories as much as Putin.

The actions of the British Government have allowed them to call into doubt the results - the findings may be independent but the British Government involvement in this has not been of a standard we should accept. I don't think the Russians have specifically criticised the OPCW but rather how the British have handled the trail of evidence

Boris the Clown is making us look even more ridiculous than normal and he should not be allowed to get away with it....again and again he does this and makes our country look like fools - the EU treat him with contempt and this weakens any action against Russia

This is not about whether the Russians did it or not - the evidence available to us and the media does not allow us to make that judgement - although it hasn't stopped the media andf politicians from all parties making strident accusations with a strong assumption behind them. As I have said before some of the science commentary has been woeful.

I do not trust Putin
I do not trust Johnson
I do not trust the UK Intelligence agencies
I do not trust the UK Government

That is based on experience and facts that come out after the events

I spoke to someone at work (non-Brit) about this the other day and they found the whole thing ridiculous. They find it unsurprising that spooks and people involved in this are targetted for assassinations (our Government accepts extra-judicial execution/assassination by the US and Israel wthout much comment) and pointed out that this was really a poisoning (not a CW attack on a broad population) with no fatalities (as of yet) and only a few people admitted to hospital - although that seems to be shrouded in secrecy to.

This is presented as a simple case - one thing I predict now when the actual truth comes out is that it is far murkier and complex than we think
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've not been well, I'll come back later
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Sorry you're not feeling well, citizenJA. I don't suppose this will make you feel any better either:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shadow social care minister Barbara Keeley said: “The Tories’ decision to abolish grant funding without clear plans for how councils will replace that money is looking increasingly reckless.

“Many councils with the highest demand for social care are the least able to raise money through council tax and business rates. Yet, this Tory Government have no plans in place to make sure that those councils can fulfil their duties to provide adult social care."
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.politico.eu/article/theresa ... -our-time/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Theresa May could be the Churchill of our time"
LONDON — Theresa May’s role is a lonely one. Embattled at home, having lost her parliamentary majority, the British Prime Minster has few people she can trust and consult. As she leads her country through complex Brexit negotiations, there is nobody to tell her what the next step should be; no one has done this before. Hers is a leadership that has had greatness thrust upon it.
By Shanker A. Singham, formerly of the Legatum Institute, but now head of the international trade and competition unit at the Institute of Economic Affairs.
:sick:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... javid-fire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tories will break pledge to rehouse Grenfell survivors, says Javid
Updating MPs on progress nine months on from fire, minister blames local council for delays
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... onal-needs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hull schools at 'breaking point' over special educational needs
Heads blame ‘perfect storm’ of tighter budgets, higher demand and cuts to children’s services

(Children services not included under the CT 2% precept.)
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ition-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"At last, good news on Brexit: Britain is heading for Norway"
I thought I'd missed some news, at first but it's an opinion piece by Simon Jenkins.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all.

Spent the day in Cambridge with my brother and his partner - this was a late Christmas get-together...

Toby Young clings on to taxpayer-funded free schools role

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... twork-role
Toby Young has held on to his taxpayer-funded post running a free schools advisory service, despite his controversial views on women and genetics, but only after there were no other applicants.

Sources within the Department for Education (DfE) say ministers have reluctantly decided to reappoint the New Schools Network (NSN) – the organisation headed by Young in his £90,000-a-year role as its chief executive – to a contract to support applicants wanting to open free schools.
"Minister we could always bring the work in-house"
"I don't know what you mean"
"Well, the Department could do the work and save ourselves some money"
"What, and let an organisation die that is a revolving door between us, Policy Exchange and No 10! Are you mad?
"Right. Sorry."
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Question Time from Leeds tonight. It was an entirely under 30's audience so I snuck in disguised as a girl who was suffering from the same malady as the Invisible Man so I could deceive all concerned wearing bandages and shades. This worked until Peter Hitchens insensed me so much I flew into a murderous rage and threw myself towards him ripping off said bandages as I went forgetting that I wasn't in fact invisible. Which resulted in me being thrown out because I was too old and obviously not a girl. I tried to point out that I would have gone as a man but the Invisible Man had been done to death and the story itself is a really weird comedy and not one of Wells' best but nobody would listen.

Anyway let's see. Paris Lees was on and she (hear that Labour feminists?) was a wonderful as ever, Peter Hitchens spouted his usual crap about how the current Tories were Left wing and other assorted nonsense, Shami Chakrabarti who I like did ok, as did the bloke from the SNP, while the Tory was a crashing bore.

Not very informative I know but most of it wasn't, the only memorable bit was Paris Lees impassioned defence of transgender people and her criticism of the idiocy going on amongst some Labour feminists about trying to ban transgender women from the all women shortlists.

As for the under 30's audience gimmick it was a complete waste of time, 'young people' are every bit as stupid or clever as 'old people' so it made absolutely no difference.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Ockendon by-election Result;
Con = 696
TIP= 531
Labour = 696
Labour lost as result was determined by drawing of straws.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Funnily enough I thought of Toby Young briefly during Question Time when the camera seemed to hover over a young woman's cleavage for a dubiously large amount of time and I imagined him going 'phwoar' and getting all red faced and reaching for Twitter then having to stop himself and say 'No Toby, bad Toby, back in your basket'.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

What's this drawing of straws nonsense?

Isn't Ockendon in Essex?

Shouldn't they duel by spray tan or seeing who can best let seaside towns die a horrible death?