Wednesday 10th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Re: Wednesday 10th September 2014

Post by Eric_WLothian »

yahyah wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Paul Krugman is on C4 in a couple of hours, more on what he thinks may happen to Scotland.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0 ... d=tw-share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yahyah, hope so, of course at the end of the day it's up to the Scots, it's this utopia vision they all have that gets on my tits, idealists.. And yeah, he is a right twat, a question evading, smirking charlatan who promises all things to all people.

I'm ashamed to admit that a couple of years ago I thought a loud mouthed bruiser like Salmond may be what Labour needed in a leader.

Having watched and listened to him over the last year or so, he now makes my skin creep and I value Ed the more.

How can anyone think a decent foundation for anything, let alone a country, can be created by threatening to renege on debts and sucking up to Murdoch ?

How many of Salmond's disciples [rightly] complained about Blair and Murdoch, but now turn a blind eye to their glorious leader and the old goat's mutual a*** licking ?
What's even more frightening is that in the event of a 'yes' vote, this belligerent little prat (that's the most polite description I can think of at present) would be leading negotiations. Fat chance of winning any concessions from rUK, EU, NATO or anybody else.
it's this utopia vision they all have
Some (hopefully most) of the Scottish electorate have enough intelligence to see through his lies. :)
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Evening all. If anyone is interested about what happened at PMQs today the transcript is available at
http://www.parliament.uk/business/publi ... nknown/93/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

danesclose wrote:Evening all. If anyone is interested about what happened at PMQs today the transcript is available at
http://www.parliament.uk/business/publi ... nknown/93/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

New poll shows No with 6 point lead.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/indep ... rd-4196976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone want to tell the nat frothers on Cif ? :lol:
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

If the Scots go, do we get duty free whiskey?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:New poll shows No with 6 point lead.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/indep ... rd-4196976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They already had an answer for this before the poll came out - apparently the Daily Record is a Labour supporting paper, so of course the poll suits their position...

Some of them were tin foil hatting about the You Gov poll giving Yes lead, claiming it was a conspiracy by Westminster to get the No vote out.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

And Twitter. I'm having such a fun conversation with Irvine Welsh, auditioning for Cliché of the Year; as I believe the Big Yin once said, the most patriotic Scot is the one who doesn't live there and, boy, is Welsh ever proving it!
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Take no notice, they've only bluffing.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... ge-drought" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just wait until that sucker's opened up for comments. I fully expect yes supporters to invade it to accuse any and all lenders concerned about the outcome to be branded as traitors.
I am not convinced they are bluffing. Would you as a UK bank lend money on a property in Scotland.

Answer - yes if you know what the currency is, but right now you don't. So if I lend today in Sterling and Scotland has its own currency you convert to Groats at the defined rate, which is a risk. If you don't convert to Groats and the Groat depreciates you risk a bad loan.

Now if they go with Sterlingisation then there is a significant risk that very quickly they would run up debts they couldn't service. That triggers a Spain type scenario leading to unemployment, flight South and mortgage default.

Would you really lend money to buy average Scottish property?
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

:lol: If it were possible ... it would be lovely to spray the news over them as a kind of reality drench (gardening term there doncha know). It would have the opposite effect to boosting egos / growth and probably smell unpleasant.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

diGriz wrote:If the Scots go, do we get duty free whiskey?
Now there's a reason to hope they vote YES! Only kidding. (I drink Irish).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

yahyah wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:

They already had an answer for this before the poll came out - apparently the Daily Record is a Labour supporting paper, so of course the poll suits their position...

Some of them were tin foil hatting about the You Gov poll giving Yes lead, claiming it was a conspiracy by Westminster to get the No vote out.
Incredible stuff, some of them are truly deranged :toss: :rofl:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
diGriz wrote:If the Scots go, do we get duty free whiskey?
Now there's a reason to hope they vote YES! Only kidding. (I drink Irish).
Only one bottle per visit, I'm afraid - and max 200 cigs.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RobertSnozers wrote:Media reporting that Lord Hill has been given a significant role in the EU Commission. Is this true? I've never heard of the commissioner for 'financial stability, financial services and capital markets union' before. In fact I can't find that role on the Wikipedia page for EU commission posts - is it new? It's clearly better than Transport or Regional Policy - and clearly not as good as High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. So is it the coup that's being reported?

Hello.

Yes, I gather it's a new thing.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

And Twitter. I'm having such a fun conversation with Irvine Welsh, auditioning for Cliché of the Year; as I believe the Big Yin once said, the most patriotic Scot is the one who doesn't live there and, boy, is Welsh ever proving it!
Wikipedia claims Welsh was a property developer who made money from speculating on the London housing market.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

My neighbour's just called with a homemade chocolate, rasperry & fresh cream roulade for us, a treat because she knew we'd lost our cat.
Aren't people lovely ?

Night all, would share it with you if I could.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Our newest member EzTIGjlbxL - "name" looks a bit iffy ? If not iffy, then sorry EzTIGjlbxL :)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

yahyah wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Wikipedia claims Welsh was a property developer who made money from speculating on the London housing market.
And who now lives in Chicago, which made his "Have you been living in the UK during the last 35 years?" jibe in response to a Miliband tweet rather ironic; sadly Mr Welsh did not see the irony! :D
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Just in..
You will be aware that there will be a Parliamentary by election in Heywood and Middleton following the sad death of Jim Dobbin MP. The Party will need to select a candidate to fight the by-election and consequently the NEC has agreed a timetable for the selection.

Applications are now open and any member wishing to apply for this seat should complete a standard CV and submit it to handm@labour.org.uk — please note APPLICATIONS WILL CLOSE AT 9AM on FRIDAY 12 SEPTEMBER.

Standard CVs are available from the parliamentary selection pages on Membersnet http://members.labour.org.uk/parliamentary-selections" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (you need to be logged in to follow this link).

Candidates who are long listed will be invited for interview in London on Monday 15 September and the short listed candidates will attend a selection meeting in the constituency on Tuesday 16 September.

The Labour Party
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AngryAsWell wrote:Our newest member EzTIGjlbxL - "name" looks a bit iffy ? If not iffy, then sorry EzTIGjlbxL :)
Must be UlPHZktkqH 's brother - they registered at the same time. :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Just heard that the appeal against the badger cull going ahead without an Independent Expert Panel IS going to be allowed ....!!!!!

There was an oral hearing this afternoon.

Now - don't know if this can stop the present culling (we'll have a bloody good go for that) but if the appeal is upheld and the way this cull has been allowed to go ahead is ruled unlawful - it will invalidate the basis of any decision for further culling. And that is music to my ears - and bagfuls of peanuts to badgers.

Love our badgers by the way. Today was obviously bedding change day - drove up the track this morning and there were piles of grass / straw bedding tossed out of the sett entrances ... They are entrancing neighbours. FU to the NFU.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I just did - :lol!:

http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/40674462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Sorry, I know I said I was going but interesting that Survation poll shows Labour votes backing independence: 20.8%, down from 30.1% in last Survation poll.

Well done Gordon Brown ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

AngryAsWell wrote:

I just did - :lol!:

http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/40674462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The reply underneath was actually fairly sensible (though tbf "bitthick" has always been one of the more rational Nats on there)
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

yahyah wrote:Sorry, I know I said I was going but interesting that Survation poll shows Labour votes backing independence: 20.8%, down from 30.1% in last Survation poll.

Well done Gordon Brown ?
Hopefully, keep hammering them Gordon.

I actually am ok with the concept of Scottish independence but the sack of blatant lies they have been told by Salmond is a disgrace.

At least be honest about the risks.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

SteveBellonAlecSalmondandPalRupertMurdoch.jpg
SteveBellonAlecSalmondandPalRupertMurdoch.jpg (59.86 KiB) Viewed 20422 times
Comment is free ‏@commentisfree 54m
Steve Bell's If ... on Alex Salmond and his old pal Rupert Murdoch http://gu.com/p/4xex4/tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; pic.twitter.com/t7nrqasD7m
Can't resist.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Retweeted by Chris Cook
Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 15m
Louise Casey appointed by Eric Pickles to conduct wide ranging inspection into Rotherham Council governance conduct of children services.
Obviously chosen for her expertise rather than her self-publicizing skills to keep the story going for the election.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

You'd have thought Ofsted who's job it is would be a more natural choice.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

yahyah wrote:Sorry, I know I said I was going but interesting that Survation poll shows Labour votes backing independence: 20.8%, down from 30.1% in last Survation poll.

Well done Gordon Brown ?
If ''No'' comes through, or ''Naw'' as Galloway prefers and post mortems are made of both campaigns, I do believe a lot of the credit will go to Brown, one of the few heavyweights left in British politics.

Night PF, same again tomorrow? :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

New secondary school for West Reading 'on target to open in September 2015'

The WREN website at http://www.wrenschool.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has been rewritten and rebranded to make it more relevant and to introduce the new WREN logo
The Wren School has a new website with details of how to enrol - even though the school still has no site yet.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... ng-7747299

[my bold] And here's another for Tubby and Roger :)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Survation have Glasgow polling at 49-41 in favour of No, still the sample was probably so puny it's hardly representative?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Retweeted by amol rajan
Piers Morgan ‏@piersmorgan 15m
I'd never speak badly of @rupertmurdoch - he gave me my first big break & remains the smartest, boldest visionary I've ever worked for.
Definitely a 'pass the sick bag, mother' only appropriate response tweet.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

RobertSnozers wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:

Well done Gordon Brown ?
If ''No'' comes through, or ''Naw'' as Galloway prefers and post mortems are made of both campaigns, I do believe a lot of the credit will go to Brown, one of the few heavyweights left in British politics.
I hope so, but remain sceptical that the powers that be will allow him any credit.
Yes, you have a point there, scape-goats are always needed.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Galloway claiming the SNP have made the BBC rescind his invitation on QT tomorrow?

Could they do that, there again it is the BBC, so who knows?

Or ''Scotland Decides?'' can't find QT anywhere.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I wonder how many Tory voters who are against Scotland leaving the UK, realise many of the Yes votes will be thanks to Maggie Thatcher and now Cameron and his henchmen.

I wonder if it'll make them think about who to vote for in 2015? Or should I even bother asking?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cameron's surely too far gone for that.

Don't think anyone can argue seriously argue that Gordon and Darling have done the hard work.

Cameron's just looked like a rabbit in the headlines.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Cameron's surely too far gone for that.

Don't think anyone can argue seriously argue that Gordon and Darling have done the hard work.

I've been wondering where the Tories have been. I haven't followed closely but they've been conspicuous by their absence.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:

I've been wondering where the Tories have been. I haven't followed closely but they've been conspicuous by their absence.
Labour Uncut said they'd kept out because they were hated but made some clever interventions.

They then blamed the polls on Ed Miliband. Who (by not being hated) has obviously hurt the NO campaign more, and for losing the 2011 Scottish Parliament election, when they lost 7 seats compared with 19 by the Coalition.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Christ, does this really need to be explained?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... devolution" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tin hats to the ready!
Orange Order plans 'loud, proud' pro-union parade in Edinburgh
Protestant fraternity in Scotland aims to celebrate British heritage on march – with or without Better Together
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/sco ... mentpage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Labour Uncut said they'd kept out because they were hated but made some clever interventions.

They then blamed the polls on Ed Miliband. Who (by not being hated) has obviously hurt the NO campaign more, and for losing the 2011 Scottish Parliament election, when they lost 7 seats compared with 19 by the Coalition.
Sarcasm, much?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Miliband's speech today was very good, too.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

AngryAsWell wrote:Tin hats to the ready!
Orange Order plans 'loud, proud' pro-union parade in Edinburgh
Protestant fraternity in Scotland aims to celebrate British heritage on march – with or without Better Together
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/sco ... mentpage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good job Rangers can't play Celtic this season, in the league at least.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

BBC anchorman: So the NO side, for all the criticism and wobbles, have won rather comfortably. What do you make of it, Nick?

Nick Robinson: Let's leave aside all the boring economic and constitutional stuff for a minute. What this referendum has really been is a referendum on the government in Westminster. And David Cameron has won it. He's had to make very unpopular decisions, but he's won it, and in hostile territory for the Tories.

BBC anchorman: So could he claim it as vindication for his modernisation project?

Nick Robinson: I think he can. He's actually won over a lot of natural Labour supporters, who worryingly for them still don't seem to rate Ed Miliband any more than they did when they voted for the SNP in 2011, which allowed the whole referendum to take place.

BBC anchorman: Briefly, Nick, how does that leave him for the General Election next year?

Nick Robinson: If you'd asked me that a week ago, before David Cameron's unashamedly emotional appeal for the union, I'd have said he was struggling. But he's turned all that around. He'll now be able to concentrate full time on seeing off UKIP, though he may well lose Clacton to Douglas Carswell because of Labour's failure to pick up swing voters. And there's a theme here- Mr Cameron is a fighter and a survivor. Will Ed Miliband have the stomach for that fight?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Now I know you're being sarky, or writing the BBC's script.

Worryingly it's too bloody plausible.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:BBC anchorman: So the NO side, for all the criticism and wobbles, have won rather comfortably. What do you make of it, Nick?

Nick Robinson: Let's leave aside all the boring economic and constitutional stuff for a minute. What this referendum has really been is a referendum on the government in Westminster. And David Cameron has won it. He's had to make very unpopular decisions, but he's won it, and in hostile territory for the Tories.

BBC anchorman: So could he claim it as vindication for his modernisation project?

Nick Robinson: I think he can. He's actually won over a lot of natural Labour supporters, who worryingly for them still don't seem to rate Ed Miliband any more than they did when they voted for the SNP in 2011, which allowed the whole referendum to take place.

BBC anchorman: Briefly, Nick, how does that leave him for the General Election next year?

Nick Robinson: If you'd asked me that a week ago, before David Cameron's unashamedly emotional appeal for the union, I'd have said he was struggling. But he's turned all that around. He'll now be able to concentrate full time on seeing off UKIP, though he may well lose Clacton to Douglas Carswell because of Labour's failure to pick up swing voters. And there's a theme here- Mr Cameron is a fighter and a survivor. Will Ed Miliband have the stomach for that fight?
Is this for real?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

BBC Anchorman: You mention Clacton there. Shouldn't the Tories really be looking to hold a seat like that so near to a General Election?

Nick Robinson: The thing about Clacton is that it's not really part of twenty-first century Britain. You can basically assume that a vote for UKIP is a vote against all the political parties. Sure it might go down on paper as a Tory loss, but that doesn't really tell the whole truth. Actually, it's only a third of a seat loss for them, Labour and the Liberal Democrats. Perhaps less than that for the Tories because Douglas Carswell used to be a Tory. In fact, perhaps it's a gain as well as a loss. David Cameron is well-placed to win the moral election next year.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Temulkar wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:BBC anchorman: So the NO side, for all the criticism and wobbles, have won rather comfortably. What do you make of it, Nick?

Is this for real?
What do you mean?