Tuesday 10th April 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Tuesday 10th April 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 10th April 2018

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... o-mar-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Transparency data

Performance of the Attendance Allowance Unit and Disability Living Allowance 65+: Apr 2017 to Mar 2018

A strange one given they almost abolished the former and the original intention was to PIPify the latter.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.nme.com/reviews/album/manic- ... bum-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/social-care ... s-and-body" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Living with disability: 'Personal assistants are my ears, hands and body'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/social-care ... ocial-care" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'It must work better than a marriage': personal assistants in social care

"It is about choice, control and independence: living a life other people take for granted,” he says. “My wellbeing is not just that I’m fed and watered like a houseplant"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Everybody should be given the right in lieu of given, seize control IMHO.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/public-lead ... iting-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How one Norfolk council has cut its housing waiting list by 95%
Hard to understand why other councils wouldn't be interested in exploring an approach so demonstrably successful. Depressing really.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.
Kaivan Shroff
‏@KaivanShroff
13h13 hours ago
More
FACT: Hillary Clinton’s lawyer’s office was not raided today.
:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-43703169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Prince of Wales Bridge name: Labour 'took eye off the ball'
My jaw literally dropped when I heard the Secretary State for Wales had apparently unilaterally and quite arbitrary renamed the Second Severn Crossing, seemingly without any consultation or consideration of the opinions of those communities served by it.

I'm surprised Carwyn Jones nodded it through without any real grasp at just how unpopular it would be with a sizeable chunk of the Welsh (not to mention West Country) population. It's our bridge, paid for out of our pockets with every crossing (of which I've made many over the years). Prince Charles can sod off. It's still the Second Severn Crossing to me.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-43703169
Prince of Wales Bridge name: Labour 'took eye off the ball'
My jaw literally dropped when I heard the Secretary State for Wales had apparently unilaterally and quite arbitrary renamed the Second Severn Crossing, seemingly without any consultation or consideration of the opinions of those communities served by it.

I'm surprised Carwyn Jones nodded it through without any real grasp at just how unpopular it would be with a sizeable chunk of the Welsh (not to mention West Country) population. It's our bridge, paid for out of our pockets with every crossing (of which I've made many over the years). Prince Charles can sod off. It's still the Second Severn Crossing to me.
The re-naming is atrocious
It's government wanting to call it, Prince of Wales Bridge, isn't it?
I'm confused by the title of the article and some of the contents
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Oh dear, bit of a boob from Jones there. Its becoming pretty obvious now that his time is drawing to a close.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/free ... the-future" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

(As to how to access,is a different matter)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

To be fair,even organisations that really should know better,"forget" such things.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Can we beat yesterday's 22 posts today, I wonder......

I do hope that things pick up here as the local elections get closer.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

The Candidate: Jeremy Corbyn's Improbable Path to Power
by Alex Nunns

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You get the first three and a half chapters free on the Amazon 'Look Inside'.

Off you go :-)
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.totalpolitics.com/articles/ ... rated-new-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;‘brexit-museum’

"Nigel Farage and other Brexiteers to be celebrated in new ‘Brexit Museum’"
It might not be the perfect day out for 48 per cent of the country…
As the second anniversary of the Brexit referendum approaches, Leave campaigners have outlined their next ambitious project. Plans are afoot to establish a 'Museum of Brexit' that will recall for future generations "the story of the struggle for the United Kingdom’s independence".
(often unsure whether something's worth posting or not, then invariably make wrong decision ...) ;)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:The Candidate: Jeremy Corbyn's Improbable Path to Power
by Alex Nunns

You get the first three and a half chapters free on the Amazon 'Look Inside'.

Off you go :-)
Its good to be reminded of the sheer scale of the confidence trick the Blairites tried to pull on a shell-shocked Labour party in the days immediately after the 2015 GE :twisted:

Almost regardless of your take on Corbyn, that totally blowing up in their faces was gloriously deserved.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinybgoat wrote:https://www.totalpolitics.com/articles/ ... xit-museum

"Nigel Farage and other Brexiteers to be celebrated in new ‘Brexit Museum’"
It might not be the perfect day out for 48 per cent of the country…
As the second anniversary of the Brexit referendum approaches, Leave campaigners have outlined their next ambitious project. Plans are afoot to establish a 'Museum of Brexit' that will recall for future generations "the story of the struggle for the United Kingdom’s independence".
(often unsure whether something's worth posting or not, then invariably make wrong decision ...) ;)
Meanwhile organisers are hoping that that the infamous Brexit campaign bus promising £350m a week for the NHS will be parked in the museum’s forecourt.

Come on, it's April the TENTH :-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Can we beat yesterday's 22 posts today, I wonder......

I think the main reason for the slow pace here is that the Government is doing literally nothing except trying to trap and smear Corbyn and Labour.

:roll:
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.conservativehome.com/platfo ... -vote.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"James Gray: Syria – and why May should act without a Commons vote"
Theresa May will need political support for whatever she does in reaction to the vile use of chemical weapons in Syria. If she gets it wrong, she will pay a heavy political price. However, any call for a Commons vote on the matter prior to any such military strike against Assad would both risk losing – as happened to David Cameron in very similar circumstances in 2013 – and would also abdicate the heavy responsibility for taking that kind of decision which ultimately must be hers and hers alone.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinybgoat wrote:https://www.conservativehome.com/platfo ... -vote.html
Theresa May will need political support for whatever she does in reaction to the vile use of chemical weapons in Syria. If she gets it wrong, she will pay a heavy political price. However, any call for a Commons vote on the matter prior to any such military strike against Assad would both risk losing – as happened to David Cameron in very similar circumstances in 2013 – and would also abdicate the heavy responsibility for taking that kind of decision which ultimately must be hers and hers alone.
TBG -- interestingly it was from a Tory MP today that we heard another Tomahawking or whatever described as gesture politics .
( The MP for the IOW iirc.)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re my above post, this thread now has more posts than yesterday's.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Can we beat yesterday's 22 posts today, I wonder......

We don't have any local elections in Bath & North East Somerset this year, so it's all a bit remote for me.

And most of the April budget changes were introduced by Osborne yonks ago and progress of the Great Repeal Bill is paused due to recess.

It's actually a struggle to find any British politics to talk about at the moment.

I guess there's always the calamity that is Donald Trump to keep us all entertained, though he's really dragging out the 'will he, won't he' fire Robert Mueller storyline now - American soaps aren't what they used to be:

CNN Politics
@CNNPolitics
·
17m
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders says President Trump thinks special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe “has gone too far” (link: https://snpy.tv/2GNoAOU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) snpy.tv/2GNoAOU
CNN Politics
CNN Politics
@CNNPolitics
·
6m
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders says President Trump "certainly believes he has the power" to fire special counsel Robert Mueller (link: https://snpy.tv/2Hcs7cN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) snpy.tv/2Hcs7cN
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

frog222 wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:https://www.conservativehome.com/platfo ... -vote.html
TBG -- interestingly it was from a Tory MP today that we heard another Tomahawking or whatever described as gesture politics .
( The MP for the IOW iirc.)
Sadly, despite having stared out at it from Highcliffe beach once a month for 10 years, I had to resort to Google to work out IOW, was Isle Of Wight, (other half new instantly, obv.) :cry:
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

https://t.co/pnjqHMabvd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the recent apparently bad bits of news is that the Israeli Labour Party has cut relations with JC, but not with the LP as a whole .

Their leader Gabbay is such a nasty bit of work that it should well have been the other way round !
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Interesting that I literally just picked up on this...also written last year.

Don’t believe the hype about Israel’s Labour Party being progressive – it’s just proven that it’s decidedly not

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/is ... 05136.html
The leader of Israel's main opposition party, Labour chair Avi Gabbay, is currently making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Yesterday, Gabbay told Israeli television that he opposed discussing the removal of even the most isolated illegal Israeli settlements in the West Bank. The remarks came a day after Gabbay told a meeting of party activists that “the Arabs have to be afraid of us”. He added: “They fire one missile – you fire 20. That’s all they understand in the Middle East”.

On Saturday, meanwhile, Gabbay vowed to never enter into a coalition with the Joint List, a Knesset group dominated by parties representing Palestinian citizens.
Labour Friends of Israel really ought to have a think about whether they should support someone with views like that.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RoT -- Snap ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:RoT -- Snap ?
Indeed - I was reading the Indy article and then refreshed this page and saw your post.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
frog222 wrote:RoT -- Snap ?
Indeed - I was reading the Indy article and then refreshed this page and saw your post.
The LFI and Friends may well be overplaying their hand with these unceasing attacks ?

What does concern me is that there appear to be no counterattacks or even solid defence by Corbyn and Co . One way to do it is disarmingly simple --

Here is a more astute political reaction to difficult ‘news’ than we usually get in the LP on their most recent issue —

” “I think probably you’d be hard-pressed to find a country that didn’t have racism in it, New Zealand is one of them.”

“Is there racism in New Zealand? Undeniably. Is there racism in most countries? Undeniably. Can we do better? Yes.” “

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ka-waititi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Translate that into UK society and the LP, add the complication of Palestine, and you would have a convincing pedagogical response ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Gosh!

Scott Stedman
‏@ScottMStedman
Follow Follow @ScottMStedman
More
Rupert Murdoch’s offices in London has been raided and documents and computer records have been seized
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Gosh!

Scott Stedman
‏@ScottMStedman
More
Rupert Murdoch’s offices in London has been raided and documents and computer records have been seized
This is the European Commission over competition laws?

Brexit didn't come quite soon enough for Murdoch, did it.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Gosh!

Scott Stedman
‏@ScottMStedman
More
This is the European Commission over competition laws?

Brexit didn't come quite soon enough for Murdoch, did it.
Or at the request of the FBI , ie Bob Mueller ... ?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

34 posts . Now exactly who was grumbling ....
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Incidentally, that letter from the leader of the Labor party in Israel reads as if he's taken the decision himself and is then instructing the whole of his party to follow suit rather than having consulted them first.

Given how unhappy some of his party are with him, I wonder whether we might hear more about this.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

The Neoliberal Democrats are claiming to have Blair father and son behind them - although they both appear to be denying this.
I still believe in a town called Hope
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

adam wrote:The Neoliberal Democrats are claiming to have Blair father and son behind them - although they both appear to be denying this.
Lord Mandelson the 'financier' is in there in the background companies ...