Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd April 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd April 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43837949" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ofcom seeks to scrap local TV roll-out
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd April 2018

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ary-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Decision

Tiverton Primary School
The schools adjudicator's admission variation decision about Tiverton Primary School.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43846047" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theresa May: Compensation for Windrush generation
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... at-worries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

London Marathon could be biggest ever despite heat worries

FWIW I only sip a tad of water en route and pour the rest over myself,more people die with over drinking than under.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Plenty of jelly babies ,watch over exuberance of high fiving small children,inadvertently knocked a few over in my time.

An "elite" runner writes.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 21 Apr, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Cyril the collared dove discussing politics with Tarquin,getting quite heated.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The oggie,oggie,oggie call and response in subways/tunnels seems to be on the demise.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all. Shopping to do but saw this bit of classic "How to take aim...and shoot yourself in the foot" by Guido Fawkes.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

HindleA wrote:The oggie,oggie,oggie call and response in subways/tunnels seems to be on the demise.
Aye, aye, aye
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/brit ... -1.3468704" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

britain-sticks-with-magical-thinking-on-brexit-border-issue
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all. Shopping to do but saw this bit of classic "How to take aim...and shoot yourself in the foot" by Guido Fawkes.

Thankfully, as they get more and more desperate the Tory smears get more and more inaccurate or self defeating in other ways.

Tories here in Kirklees made a big splash recently with the "disgrace" that a Labour council candidate had circulated a leaflet accusing the Tories of "shitting on us".

While I definitely don't approve of this kind of phrasing, if I were the Tories I would have made a simple discreet complaint rather than splashing it in the local paper :lol: :lol: :lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Wes Streeting MP
Verified account
@wesstreeting

For the last day I’ve received a number of tweets that are defamatory, abusive and even threating following untrue allegations published on Skwawkbox. They heard from my libel lawyer yesterday. I am prepared to take action against others. Threats and abuse will go to the Police.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

have realised (mortified) that I have forgotten the name of Mr A's homing pigeon
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I should take the opportunity to explain my intermittent attendance of late - drowning in work/ life-admin and the effort required to adjust my personality/approach to filing to the new service-free world that the internet has so conveniently provided us with. I hope to be back to normal levels at some point. My continual goodwill, to FTNers however, can be taken as read.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Lenny
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Formerly Lauretta
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Lenny
How's Lenny's shandy habit these days?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Shandy"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... r-of-wales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carwyn Jones to step down as first minister of Wales
Jones tells Welsh Labour party conference he will stand down in autumn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Cynics are suggesting the autumn date is so that it comes too soon to change Welsh Labour's leadership voting to OMOV.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@SianGriffiths6

BREAKING: Carwyn Jones says he will stand down as Wales' first minister in the autumn. Referring to the months following the death of Carl Sargeant, Mr Jones said he had been through the "darkest of times". His exit would give his family, his party and the country a "fresh start"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

http://aqicn.org/city/united-kingdom/so ... on-centre/

Southampton Centre AQI: Southampton Centre Real-time Air Quality Index (AQI).
Unhealthy

Updated on Saturday 13:00
Temp.: 18°C
151-200 Unhealthy
Everyone may begin to experience health effects; members of sensitive groups may experience more serious health effects
Active children and adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should avoid prolonged outdoor exertion; everyone else, especially children, should limit prolonged outdoor exertion

http://aqicn.org/scale/
Take care, Southampton peoples
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:"Shandy"
I neglected to capitalize the word
Forgive me
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Oggie
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Ffing hell,a swarm of giant bumble bees,well maybe not giant but big enough.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apologies it should be oggy.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Martin Rowson
‏ @MartinRowson

Oh great. I see that Nick "Rasputin" Timothy slinking away from Twitter after yet another equivalent action to nailing one of his own turds to his forehead during a The Dansant at The Ritz is being puppeteered by the usual suspects as the worst attack on free expression since...
8:12 AM - 21 Apr 2018
...the Gallileo Trial. I think we long ago ate the ships that might sail us back from the blackened shores of Fucktopia, but this is like saying a train spotter who abandons train spotting because they keep writing down bus numbers is EXACTLY THE SAME AS MANDELA. Little Owen...
...Jones' attack on my profession as a cult peopled by an old boy network is a travesty: he left out the bit about how so many journalists are also straightforward self-righteous total fucking idiots who can't be trusted to be safe in the outside world at something that matters.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Afternoon all. Decent win for the Os - finishing the season pretty well.

Allied Healthcare: Home care provider seeks rescue plan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43850046
Changes to the Care Act, which came into effect in 2015, means that if a provider like Allied were to stop trading, local authorities would step in to protect individuals receiving care.

The Local Government Association, which represents local authorities, said it was working alongside the Care Quality Commission and government to support Allied where possible.

An LGA spokesman said: "The absolute priority for councils affected is to protect the vital care and support that older and disabled people rely on and ensure it is able to continue without interruption.

"Councils have robust contingency plans in place to manage the care of individuals if necessary."
Usual story - public sector has to stand behind the private sector because the service has to continue. At what point does someone look at this outsourcing model and think "Y'know what? It ain't working..."
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I can find David Blanchflower irritating on occasions but I'm a fan again!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 20.03.16.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 20.03.16.png (74.71 KiB) Viewed 8011 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The direct payment model worked well for us,of course you need proper oversight and adequate budget and support,the biggest problem with State/public provided (and I was one) is inflexibility,the needs of the organisation over real choice and control.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

(((Dan Hodges)))
Verified account
@DPJHodges
You may agree with Nick Timothy. You may not agree with him. But the fact he appears to have just been hounded off Twitter is another example of the increasingly dangerous intolerance we're witnessing in our public discourse.

Jo Maugham QC
Verified account
@JolyonMaugham
Jo Maugham QC Retweeted (((Dan Hodges)))
Close to the most ridiculous tweet I have ever read. He wrote the story for an anti-semitic front page of a national newspaper Should we abstain from pointing that out lest the snowflake melt?Jo Maugham QC added,
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

We also paid workers more than charities charging £15 an hour just for a sitting service,then.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The overnight thing needs sorting,if you are going to equate on call with waking nights it needs funding.y
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RUPERT Murdoch’s Sunday Times newspaper stole Government Ministers’ household trash in an illegal and sustained search for stories it hoped would bring down New Labour, Byline Investigations can reveal.

The traditional Tory mouthpiece used the product of midnight raids on homes of Westminster powerbrokers in stories it falsely attributed to a party “mole” – seeding damaging political rifts at the heart of British politics by doing so.

Read more at: https://www.byline.com/project/90/article/2135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Who would have ever thought the Windrush affair could happen?

http://new.lag.org.uk/media/186917/smal ... status.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Three local council byelections this week:

Warrington - LibDem gain from Tory, with a double figure increase to over 40%, in a ward that returned two Tories in the first post-boundary change elections in 2016; but it was fairly close and the larger predecessor ward (three members) had been split between the Tories and LibDems going back to the 1990s. There was actually only a small decrease in the Tory vote since two years ago, and third placed Labour's 18% was even less changed from then - the LibDems actually owed there win in large part to the collapse of UKIP, down from 10% last time to barely 1% now. Greens just a single vote further behind in last place.

West Berkshire - another LibDem gain from Tory with close to half the vote this time; in fact their increase was a bit less than in Warrington but the swing was significantly bigger - thanks to the Tories dropping a sizeable 18% compared to the most recent election in 2015. Though that election - when the Tories carried both seats - was a significant from previous contests here with the LibDems getting clean sweeps in 2003, 2007 and 2011 (though things did get a bit closer over time) The first two elections were actually straight fights, but Labour started contesting this ward in 2011 - their result now (under 8%) was down a bit on both then and three years ago. This may be partly due to both the Greens and UKIP entering the fray now for the first time - an unusual recent development in the latter's case - and their respective scores, the Greens in a dead heat with Labour for 3rd and UKIP scoring over 5%, were both fairly decent by recent standards.

Perth and Kinross - Tory hold in a division that split 1C/1Nat/1Ind in last year's elections, however this was a significantly pro-Tory shift since previous polls; things went 2Nat/1C here in both 2007 and 2012, and in between the SNP comfortably held not one but two previous byelections (in 2008 and 2011) This time the recent trend was confirmed with the victorious Tories edging up to nearly 47% on first preferences, making it a further swing of about 1% to them from the SNP (who dipped even more slightly) Independents did less well this time, the top placed of two getting just 7% - not far ahead of Labour who improved slightly on their previous showing here in 2012. Also rans were the Greens and LibDems (less than 5% between them and both down on last time) followed by the other Indy who scored a derisory 0.3%.

And that is it before next month's polls - after that, the first "stand alone" byelections are set for 17 May.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thankyou
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... minorities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tories in new race row over identity checks for elections
New rules ‘will deter migrant voters’, watchdog claims, adding to Windrush scandal
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Investigations show that the plan to force landlords to check the immigration status of tenants, known as the “right to rent”, was fiercely opposed before its implementation by Eric Pickles, the former communities secretary. In an internal memo written in February 2013, he warned: “It would be disproportionately burdensome, ineffective and intrusive to oblige all private landlords to satisfy themselves as to the immigration status of prospective tenants. It’s hard to assess how many illegal immigrants this policy would deter in practice as it would be easy to circumvent/evade detection"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-43754737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The vetting files: How the BBC kept out ‘subversives’
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

one set (of three) what would be in-laws currently in the vicinity, and am gearing up for another round. Pleasant enough, but I like chip butties, mushy peas and open-top bus tours.

None of which they can even begin to imagine.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... minorities

New rules ‘will deter migrant voters’, watchdog claims, adding to Windrush scandal
Er indoors was told the other day by Nat West that she couldn't be a signatory on a Guide bank mandate as she has no passport or photo driving licence.

The fact that we've had a joint account there since we were married din't seem to make any difference.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Surely the simplest thing if they really need to check IDs is to ask for the polling card which is then handed over and retained?

But the question - like should be asked of any new policy "What problem is this trying to solve?"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Surely the simplest thing if they really need to check IDs is to ask for the polling card which is then handed over and retained?

But the question - like should be asked of any new policy "What problem is this trying to solve?"
It is a largely mythical one, of course.

But given that the Tories have persistently tried to push through parliamentary boundary changes based on a myth (that the present arrangements deliver a "huge in-built advantage" to Labour) this fact-averse mindset really shouldn't be surprising. Even if it is still depressing.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... minorities

Er indoors was told the other day by Nat West that she couldn't be a signatory on a Guide bank mandate as she has no passport or photo driving licence.

The fact that we've had a joint account there since we were married din't seem to make any difference.
That's not new, bank id checks for charity/company signatories have been usual for years, 'money laundering' regulations. Nightmare to arrange if you want to change banks.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Brexit and music: Theme and Variations
http://www.howardgoodall.co.uk/articles ... variations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote: That's not new, bank id checks for charity/company signatories have been usual for years, 'money laundering' regulations. Nightmare to arrange if you want to change banks.
Oh quite - I remember when the rules were brought in and having to take my passport into work. But then I was a signatory on the main plc account - I remember having to authorise a £200m payment when we were buying a company.

I can see why it's necessary for large orgs but a Guide account? There might be a couple of thousand passing through that account every year - just seems a bit over the top.

Not everyone has a passport and not everyone drives...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... melessness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Instant payouts offer lifeline to Scotland's rough sleepers
Outreach workers given cash to help those in need with anything from hotel rooms to haircuts
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone