Friday 27th April 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Friday 27th April 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 27th April 2018

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... em-say-mps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rail passengers pay price for broken franchising system, say MPs
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

DWP.advertising for a Director of Communications,"behaviourial change" main part of remit,presumably being a misanthropic lying bastard who comes up with such shite an essential.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

This was great from Ken Clarke intervening on Kate Hoey's vague waffling on about trade.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

UK GDP falls to 0.1% in first quarter - against predictions of around 0.3 and worst cast predictions of 0.2
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Construction plummet
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

ONS says it can't be blamed on the Beast from the East, though that did contribute a bit.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:ONS says it can't be blamed on the Beast from the East, though that did contribute a bit.
And that GDP per head has actually fallen - by 0.1%.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.tuc.org.uk/news/economy-sti ... s-says-tuc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://online.flipbuilder.com/afjd/uvad ... x.html#p=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Eg.Carers doing equivalent of £132 billion a year care,the disgraceful misrepresentation/encouragement of the view of being unfair by so called Christians and purposeful policies of penalisation in context.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Brian Klaas

Verified account

@brianklaas
41m41 minutes ago
More Brian Klaas Retweeted Faisal Islam
“Shocks” tend to be unpredictable. An eventual economic slowdown bordering on contraction in the UK was extremely predictable.
Quite. And David Blanchflower yesterday, responding to the idea that the BoE might raise interest rates
Danny Blanchflower

Verified account

@D_Blanchflower
19h19 hours ago
More
UK car prodn falls retail sales fall house prices flat down in London nominal wage growth falls from 3.1% to 2.8% to 2.3% last 3 months real wages fall in Feb inflation falling pmis falling gdp growth falling underempt still above pre recession levels perfect time for a rate cut
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I buy the G on a Saturday and have a backlog of Weekend magazines, last night I was looking at one from a year ago about Labour people looking back at 1997.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... r-campbell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This cheered me up a bit.
Only in one area are the founders of New Labour ready to see a direct line of responsibility and blame, and that is in the area that wounds them most deeply: the current plight of the Labour party, a few weeks out from what promises to be a very different general election.

“We have to take some responsibility for the state Labour is in today,” Campbell says. “We can’t say Corbyn happened in a vacuum. We didn’t cement the legacy.” Hyman goes further: “Nothing is more damning than the fact that, 20 years later, Jeremy Corbyn is leading the party and Labour is about to be annihilated.”
It gets better, in the course of finding that piece online, I found this from after the election
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ion-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeremy Corbyn’s strong performance during the election campaign must not disguise the fact that the party lost a contest that was “easily winnable”, a former senior aide to Tony Blair has warned.

Peter Hyman, the former prime minister’s head of strategic communications, said that Corbyn deserved significant credit for an effective campaign and an ability to energise young voters.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

One for the "I'm shocked, shocked that they've not done a single thing about a problem" file

Brexit department fails to consult on technical solutions to Irish border

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/brexi ... sh-border/
Brexit Secretary David Davis has repeatedly claimed that a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic can be avoided using new technology. Just last month, Mr Davis stated that “a whole load of new technology” exists to prevent the need for physical checks and controls at the border.

But in response to a freedom of information request submitted by i, officials at the Department for Exiting the European Union admitted the number of companies it had spoken to about such technology was “nil”.
Davis is looking more like Baldrick every day...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

So how good are Brexiteer forecasters on the economy?

Answer - not very.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote: It gets better, in the course of finding that piece online, I found this from after the election
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ion-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeremy Corbyn’s strong performance during the election campaign must not disguise the fact that the party lost a contest that was “easily winnable”, a former senior aide to Tony Blair has warned.

Peter Hyman, the former prime minister’s head of strategic communications, said that Corbyn deserved significant credit for an effective campaign and an ability to energise young voters.
No comments on that one were allowed, amazingly.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Afternoon all.

I'm picking up some hints on Twitter that there is something to come out re Cambridge Analytica and Labour. Doubtless if there is anything it will hit in time for the local elections. Could be connected to the Labour Leave campaign, perhaps? Could be nothing. The only thing that worries me is that ever since the whole CA/Facebook/Trump campaign stuff came out it's been rattling around in the back of my mind that Momentum were extremely full of themselves over how they were using social media to reach people in new ways. Presumably honestly and innocently using Labour's far superior membership base. Certainly they have been credited as being particularly successful online during the last GE (as in the G article linked below). Any kind of Cambridge Analytica association could rather sour that success, though. Could of course just be a rumour to attempt to spike Labour with no actual substance.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ok-twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

And then there is this:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... n-campaign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SNP admits contacting Cambridge Analytica over election campaign
Emails suggest party approached controversial data firm for help fighting 2016 Holyrood elections
And why did the SNP decide not to work with Cambridge Analytica? Because they discovered this:
The party argued the documentation, which began when the SNP sought out Cambridge Analytica in February 2016, shed light on the firm’s relationship with another company called SCL Elections, which has links to the Conservative party.

It has sent to the documents to the UK information commissioner, who has launched a major investigation into the firm’s operations, because the papers appear to challenge Cambridge Analytica’s claim that it and SCL Elections operated separately.

The SNP said its suspicions began after Cambridge Analytica sent it a non-disclosure agreement from SCL Elections, which the party refused to sign.

One email on 15 February 2016 from a Cambridge Analytica executive, Livia Krisandova, who used an SCL email address, said Cambridge Analytica was the “US operating affiliate of SCL Group”.
There are lots of Tories involved in SCL, btw, but everyone's looking at the customers, not the purveyors, because that would be far too inconvenient for our ruling classes:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -scl-group" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tory donors among investors in Cambridge Analytica parent firm
SCL Group’s shareholders and officers have included two former Tory ministers
This story isn't going to go away, is it?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Labour election candidate resigns from Portsmouth party after anti-semitism row and says ‘politics is poison’(Portsmouth News)
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/polit ... -1-8478116
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:
Labour election candidate resigns from Portsmouth party after anti-semitism row and says ‘politics is poison’(Portsmouth News)
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/polit ... -1-8478116
Wow. I was all ready to feel some sympathy for her, given some of the very minor things that have been blown up lately, but that comment was, well... :o Not nasty, just so oblivious of the offence it would cause.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Meanwhile in Theresa May's backyard...

Tory Mayor in Theresa May’s Constituency quits in disgrace after ‘Islamophobic Social Media posts’ surface

https://evolvepolitics.com/tory-mayor-i ... ts-surface
The Conservative Mayor of Wokingham has quit his role following an investigation by the Wokingham Paper which brought to light a slew of ‘Islamaphobic social media posts’ related to racist far-right groups online, including the EDL.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Actually, it's a bit of a relief to find that being outed as a bit of a racist is still a resigning issue, given what's going on at the top of government.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:Afternoon all.

I'm picking up some hints on Twitter that there is something to come out re Cambridge Analytica and Labour. Doubtless if there is anything it will hit in time for the local elections. Could be connected to the Labour Leave campaign, perhaps? Could be nothing. The only thing that worries me is that ever since the whole CA/Facebook/Trump campaign stuff came out it's been rattling around in the back of my mind that Momentum were extremely full of themselves over how they were using social media to reach people in new ways. Presumably honestly and innocently using Labour's far superior membership base. Certainly they have been credited as being particularly successful online during the last GE (as in the G article linked below). Any kind of Cambridge Analytica association could rather sour that success, though. Could of course just be a rumour to attempt to spike Labour with no actual substance.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ok-twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There were hints a few days ago that there was a london poll coming out that was really bad news for labour. In fact it said that labour were on course for their best london performance in years, allbeit a performance not quite as good as an earlier poll had suggested.

Although it would make sense for other people to be caught up in dodgy data-mining and so on...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Taxi for Rudd!

Amber Rudd was told about migrant removal targets, leak reveals

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ak-reveals
Amber Rudd’s insistence that she knew nothing of Home Office targets for immigration removals risks unravelling following the leak of a secret internal document prepared for her and other senior ministers.

The six-page memo, passed to the Guardian, says the department has set “a target of achieving 12,800 enforced returns in 2017-18” and boasts that “we have exceeded our target of assisted returns”.

It adds that progress has been made on a “path towards the 10% increased performance on enforced returns, which we promised the home secretary earlier this year”.
Lying to Parliament is a sackable offence let alone letting her resign.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:
Willow904 wrote:Afternoon all.

There were hints a few days ago that there was a london poll coming out that was really bad news for labour. In fact it said that labour were on course for their best london performance in years, allbeit a performance not quite as good as an earlier poll had suggested.

Although it would make sense for other people to be caught up in dodgy data-mining and so on...
Oh yes, plenty of spin out there. And I'm not sure how much impact it has on local elections, where people are far more likely to be voting for individuals they've actually met and talked to at some point and regularly see in the local paper pointing at potholes!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Rudd will be grateful for the news from Korea, I expect.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/studies ... nd-brexit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Studies Provide Answers On What Made People Vote For Trump And Brexit
“Candidate preferences in 2016 reflected increasing anxiety among high-status groups rather than complaints about past treatment among low-status groups. Both growing domestic racial diversity and globalization contributed to a sense that white Americans are under siege by these engines of change.”
What the authors call “subjective and objective cognitive inflexibility” (but others might call the inability to adapt to changing circumstances) predicted greater nationalism, conservatism, and support for authoritarian policies. On the plus side, people with these sorts of attitudes were also more likely to be conscientious and emotionally stable. The paper concludes that the results of these tests accounted for almost half (47.6 percent) of the variability in support for Brexit.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Michael Crick
Michael Crick
@MichaelLCrick
·
30m
It's three hours since Guardian broke their exclusive story about memo copied in to Amber Rudd about deportation targets. Despite several messages, still no response from Rudd's political team. They're taking a long time to consider her options.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

:-)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Has she gone yet?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Will believe it when I see it, but its getting harder to see how the government can close this down without some sort of sacrifice.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

If she hasn't gone by the time I get back from tonight's gig, I'll be amazed.

To recap:
"There are no targets"
"Oh. There are targets..but I knew nothing about them. I'll get rid of them"
"Oh. Apparently I did know about them"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Pound slides as UK growth slows to brink of stagnation - as it happened
Economists fear Britain’s economy is losing momentum as quarterly growth falls to just 0.1%, the weakest since 2012

The pound has hit an eight-week low today
BREAKING: UK growth slows to just 0.1%
Construction slumps, manufacturing is sluggish
GDP-per-head has shrunk!
Government blames the snow
Opposition blames the government
US grew by around 0.6% per quarter
France grew by 0.3%; Spain by 0.7%

https://www.theguardian.com/business/li ... iness-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good evening, everyone
I've just now looked at the news and the business blog entries posted above thrown together like that in one day made me laugh
...government blames snow, opposition blames government...
I hope everyone is well, despite significant challenges
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

My advisors, Will, Edmund, Rick, Cnut, Edward, Alfred and Jasper all look grave
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

They are decidedly unamused
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Interesting Twitter slant on Rudd's non-resignation that I can actually believe. Folk are suggesting she wants to resign but May is persuading her to stay.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:If she hasn't gone by the time I get back from tonight's gig, I'll be amazed.

To recap:
"There are no targets"
"Oh. There are targets..but I knew nothing about them. I'll get rid of them"
"Oh. Apparently I did know about them"

What time are you getting back? And what's the gig?

She's still there at the moment - despite my trawling all the news sites I can think of.

Oh - and how would you (that includes everyone here) describe her expression in the Guardian's photo'? Or is it an archive one?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.24housing.co.uk/news/lack-of ... nt-living/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lack of accessible housing now a ‘major barrier’ to independent living

Purposefully target already/potential adapted homes for penalisation that'll help.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Before you get to the disgrace of being unfair schtick.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Interesting Twitter slant on Rudd's non-resignation that I can actually believe. Folk are suggesting she wants to resign but May is persuading her to stay.
Backs up the "human shield" theory.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Though I suppose someone has to pay towards the mysteriously exempt from the working harder/budgeting/lifestyle choice support for the well far more incomed.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The misanthropy,not to say fascistic underpinning of "doing the right thing",coupled with removing the possibility hypocrisy.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

What they want of course is container segregation away from polite Society.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

No accident there is an increase in educational segregation,re-building of long stay institutions,pressure/financial incentives to go into a home.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The myth of we all.looked after each other,in reality mass institutionalism and lives of desperate solitude.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

But we felt much better putting money into a slot in the head to the suitably grateful.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/25732" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Northern Ireland social workers raise Universal Credit 'rape clause' concerns
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publ ... 7/HCWS653/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Extending support" in Universal Credit and Child Tax Credit:Written statement

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 27 Apr, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Still having difficulty with "recognising" that the severely disabled/terminally ill etc haven't the same choices and apply penalisation as default regardless in a slew of policies.Of course they do.A sort of self fullfilling created aren't we good when relenting usually after legal action.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Completely arse about face,a responsible Government looks at first.