Tuesday 1st May 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tuesday 1st May 2018

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 1st May 2018

And Happy May Day to all :-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

On the Cambridge Analytica Labour story I'm not sure I'm getting it.

It appears on the face of it to be Ian Warren who is the guilty party. Labour probably deserve some serious interrogation about data protection policies, but is the implication that Labour as a party deliberately passed data to Vote Leave? I don't see any evidence of that.

In other words, it seems to be more skulduggery around Vote Leave that is the story. And some questions as to why Labour thought it was a good idea to call on Warren's services in the first place.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:And Happy May Day to all :-)
The sun's even come out (although it's still very cold here).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:And Happy May Day to all :-)
The sun's even come out (although it's still very cold here).
Yes same here - bitterly cold for May!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

This thread got me chuckling

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.leighday.co.uk/News/News-20 ... Credit-sch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First High Court challenge of Universal Credit scheme to begin

Under the previous benefits system, both TP and AR were in receipt of the Severe Disability Premium (SDP) and Enhanced Disability Premium (EDP), which were specifically aimed at meeting the additional care needs of severely disabled people living alone with no carer.

Look there is absolutely nothing fascistic about this totally targeted unintended consequence
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Simplification
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 1st May 2018f

Post by HindleA »

Bring back supposed complexity,it really fucking wasn't,the,worst of both World's removal of the bespoke specific,complexify the simple.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:On the Cambridge Analytica Labour story I'm not sure I'm getting it.

It appears on the face of it to be Ian Warren who is the guilty party. Labour probably deserve some serious interrogation about data protection policies, but is the implication that Labour as a party deliberately passed data to Vote Leave? I don't see any evidence of that.

In other words, it seems to be more skulduggery around Vote Leave that is the story. And some questions as to why Labour thought it was a good idea to call on Warren's services in the first place.
You are getting it. Leave.eu appears to have used Labour Party data on Labour voters to target them with personalised messaging in the referendum campaign, potentially with unregulated attack ads via social media. They potentially broke data protection laws because the data was collated in a way that could identify individuals. They also secretly worked in unison with other leave campaigns, potentially breaking spending limits.

Yes, how Leave.eu got the data is a worrying question. Were Labour sloppy with data they should have been protecting, did Ian Warren steal this data, or did Labour Leave, who could potentially have legitimate access to this data, give it to them? As you say, it's not clear, but none of it is very good for our democracy, is it?

The Information Commissioner is investigating, the Electoral Commission is investigating.....

52/48

This skulduggery could well have swung the referendum. It's just really depressing. Our country is run by a bunch of spivs.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:On the Cambridge Analytica Labour story I'm not sure I'm getting it.

You are getting it. Leave.eu appears to have used Labour Party data on Labour voters to target them with personalised messaging in the referendum campaign, potentially with unregulated attack ads via social media. They potentially broke data protection laws because the data was collated in a way that could identify individuals. They also secretly worked in unison with other leave campaigns, potentially breaking spending limits.

Yes, how Leave.eu got the data is a worrying question. Were Labour sloppy with data they should have been protecting, did Ian Warren steal this data, or did Labour Leave, who could potentially have legitimate access to this data, give it to them? As you say, it's not clear, but none of it is very good for our democracy, is it?

The Information Commissioner is investigating, the Electoral Commission is investigating.....

52/48

This skulduggery could well have swung the referendum. It's just really depressing. Our country is run by a bunch of spivs.
Thanks and yes :-(
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Ian Warren has an "interesting" record, it is fair to say.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Another defeat for the Government. Margaret Hodge introduced an amendment, to compel Overseas Territories to compile a list of ownership of registered companies. The government tabled 3 amendments themselves, to block the vote, but Bercow ruled they submitted them too late.

Alan Duncan has just announced the government will not vote against Hodge's amendment.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

http://newsthump.com/2018/04/30/amber-r ... l-manager/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

amber-rudd-named-as-new-arsenal-manager

Amber has problems with hitting targets and is ideal for the job ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Excellent piece

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/b ... bled-under" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

how-welfare-trap-research-championed-toby-young-crumbled-under
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Toby Young chatting s***, you say??
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Government claim of voter fraud surge misleading, says watchdog (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-watchdog
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Labour aims to force government to reveal Windrush correspondence

Labour is seeking to use the same arcane parliamentary procedure it deployed to force the government to hand over its Brexit impact assessments to allow MPs to scrutinise the decision-making process over how the Windrush generation was treated.

In a move that could cause extreme discomfort for ministers, Labour will use a so-called humble address motion on Wednesday to ask for all papers, correspondence and advice on Windrush between ministers, senior officials and advisors from May 2010 until now. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... espondence
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re that vote fraud report - is this the day set aside for "no s*** Sherlock" stories?? :lol:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/15361?ut ... ty+News%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Revealed: Cambridge’s reliance on EU research funding
Academic schools in the University of Cambridge depend on European Union funds for up to 30% of their external research income
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Another early night
goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Here's a bit more on the story mentioned, this morning, by PaulfromYorkshire -
The Tories' latest campaign tactic? Blaming Labour for hepatitis (Guardian)
They really have turned into Ukip (Paul Nuttall's brand), haven't they?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -hepatitis
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Meanwhile Sir Roger Gale is trending on that twitter....apparently his interview on C4 news didn't go that well...

Andy Jolley@ajjolley
26m26 minutes ago
More
Sir Roger Gale in an interview about immigration coming out with the line “People like you” to @krishgm s not a good look at all
#channel4news

Steve Watson
‏@SteveWatson10
14m14 minutes ago
More
That was quite something from Roger Gale - this constant dog whistle about 'illegals' when questioned about Windrush is grotesque #c4news

Matt Thomas
‏ @Trickyjabs
27m27 minutes ago
More
Complete and utter car crash interview with Tory MP Roger Gale on @Channel4News right now. Ignoring Windrush subject. Stuck in the bizarre right-wing mindset of ingrained racism.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Here's a bit more on the story mentioned, this morning, by PaulfromYorkshire -
The Tories' latest campaign tactic? Blaming Labour for hepatitis (Guardian)
They really have turned into Ukip (Paul Nuttall's brand), haven't they?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -hepatitis
About a dozen Tory council candidates have been suspended now, compared to (I think) two Labour.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Meanwhile Sir Roger Gale is trending on that twitter....apparently his interview on C4 news didn't go that well...

Andy Jolley@ajjolley
26m26 minutes ago
More
Sir Roger Gale in an interview about immigration coming out with the line “People like you” to @krishgm s not a good look at all
#channel4news

Steve Watson
‏@SteveWatson10
14m14 minutes ago
More
That was quite something from Roger Gale - this constant dog whistle about 'illegals' when questioned about Windrush is grotesque #c4news

Matt Thomas
‏ @Trickyjabs
27m27 minutes ago
More
Complete and utter car crash interview with Tory MP Roger Gale on @Channel4News right now. Ignoring Windrush subject. Stuck in the bizarre right-wing mindset of ingrained racism.
Just watched it on 4+.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

It's difficult trying to use only words which don't contain the letters "c", and\or "a".

Edited - typo
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

funnily enough I have sticky key syndrome on the letter 'v'

( :flick: )
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PM expected to delay customs decision to appease key Brexiters

Two options for EU arrangement set to remain on table as 11-strong sub-committee meets
(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... p-decision
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:
PM expected to delay customs decision to appease key Brexiters

Two options for EU arrangement set to remain on table as 11-strong sub-committee meets
(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... p-decision
And to that we must add this, from the politics blog in the graun
David Davis, the Brexit secretary, has admitted that the EU has “pushed back” on the two proposals from the government purportedly showing how the UK could leave the customs union but still maintain near-frictionless trade with the EU after Brexit. Two weeks ago, after the Daily Telegraph reported that both proposals had been rejected by the EU, Downing Street played this down, saying it did not recognise the claims. Today Davis effectively admitted that the reports were accurate.
So May is determined to keep two options, both of which have been rejected by the EU, on the table as our only two options, in order to avoid making a decision now that might damage the Conservative Party now.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

She really gets it Angela

@AngelaRayner

So dismayed as the local MP to hear that RBS branch on Stamford Street in Ashton Town Centre is to be closed at the end of July. We are seeing so many high street banks closing branches. My constituents helped bail the banks out in the banking crisis but now are being let down
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:She really gets it Angela

@AngelaRayner

So dismayed as the local MP to hear that RBS branch on Stamford Street in Ashton Town Centre is to be closed at the end of July. We are seeing so many high street banks closing branches. My constituents helped bail the banks out in the banking crisis but now are being let down
The banks were happy to take taxpayers' money so that they could carry on coining it in- but are oblivious to the concept of providing any sort of civic service as their part of the deal.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Please forgive my stilted posts - trying to minimise the typing!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Wonder what this is about?
daniel clarke
@djoeclarke
29m29 minutes ago
More
Big story from @xtophercook and @LucindaCDay on @BBCNewsnight tonight - tune in at 2230
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Our government clearly know what they're doing. Oh yes. No worries about them being in charge of a simple little thing like Brexit.....

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/e ... sm?ocid=st" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EXCLUSIVE: Briton who has never left the UK is ordered to move to Uganda by bungling Home Office bosses - despite being born in SHREWSBURY
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Bullying by Bercow. Allegedly. But a nice pay off to keep his mouth shut tells its own story. Possibly.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Wonder what this is about?
daniel clarke
@djoeclarke
29m29 minutes ago
More
Big story from @xtophercook and @LucindaCDay on @BBCNewsnight tonight - tune in at 2230
Seems to be a story about John Bercow allegedly bullying a member of his staff (which JB denies having done).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Whoops.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

DcIL5SBXkAEnBt8.jpg
DcIL5SBXkAEnBt8.jpg (231.03 KiB) Viewed 6932 times
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ok drunk Mr Sky has just got home from talking to a Yorkshire barmaid.

She was 20 years old and funny as fuck, she was hoping to go into marketing so I told her to watch "How to get ahead in advertising".

She'd never heard of Withnail and I.

It would seem our day is passed.