Friday 11th May 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Friday 11th May 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning

Grammar schools in England to get £50m expansion fund

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ansion-fun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driv ... r-families" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 11 May, 2018 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Friday 11 th May 2018

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Link to Groan doesn't work A

Morning!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Like the policy TBF :roll:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... nsion-fund" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Just sometimes she hits the mark!

@jessphillips

This is a disgusted bung for the best off while schools in my constituency are losing staff and my kids class has 32 people in it. I despair
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 11th May 2018

Post by frog222 »

SOMETIMES ! :-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Recent listening R4 --

On the belhaj case —-

Twice last night the bbc casts a sly doubt — “he says he was tortured” .

In paliament the AG was adamant — ” We completely accept their story.”

Toady’s Martha Kearney talking to palestinians and israelis opposed to colonies(FR), settlements (GB) .

Tories spending more on grammar schools and free faith schools, nothing socially divisive intended ; religious separation worked so very well in Norn Iron .
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@NadineDorries
32m32 minutes ago
More
If it is true, that the board of the @ElectoralCommUK is comprised of vocal remain supporting individuals, that needs exposing and challenging @BBCr4today in the same way it would if it was comprised of vocal/declared left or right leaning members.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Dorries should be careful. That "If it is true" looks a bit shaky to me :twisted:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dApp_Tweet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leave.EU fined £70k over breaches of electoral law
Campaign’s chief officer referred to police after inquiry finds it broke referendum spending limit
Of course, it was always the case that the worst any campaign breaking the rules would face from the Electoral Commission was a fine. The referral of Leave.EU's chief officer to the police, though, is pretty serious as this would not happen over the kind of grey areas or misunderstandings that parties have gotten a slap on the wrist for in the past. This suggests clear and deliberate violation of the rules. Oh and as far as I'm aware the official leave campaign, Vote Leave, is still under investigation, not to mention the parallel but separate investigations by the Information Commissioner, so Aaron Banks is being disingenuous with this:
He added: “The EC went big game fishing and found a few ‘aged’ dead sardines on the beach. So much for the big conspiracy! What a shambles. We will see them in court.”
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

A C Grayling making a complete fool of himself saying the Electoral Commission should have declared the Referendum void.

Which of course they aren't able to do :roll:

For me, every one of his interventions makes Brexit more likely.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:@NadineDorries
32m32 minutes ago
More
If it is true, that the board of the @ElectoralCommUK is comprised of vocal remain supporting individuals, that needs exposing and challenging @BBCr4today in the same way it would if it was comprised of vocal/declared left or right leaning members.
The Electoral Commission only re-opened its investigation into undeclared collaboration between Vote Leave and BeLeave after it was threatened with legal action by the Good Law Project. So I'm not really seeing this rabid pro-remain bias at the Electoral Commission myself. More a desire to not rock the boat unless they are actively pushed to look into the facts, which they then have to act upon because the facts are clear and indisputable.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:@NadineDorries
32m32 minutes ago
More
The Electoral Commission only re-opened its investigation into undeclared collaboration between Vote Leave and BeLeave after it was threatened with legal action by the Good Law Project. So I'm not really seeing this rabid pro-remain bias at the Electoral Commission myself. More a desire to not rock the boat unless they are actively pushed to look into the facts, which they then have to act upon because the facts are clear and indisputable.
Yes Twitter is best avoided on this one!

Remoaners, remoaners, will of the people, blah, blah....
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

It's what the folk in the middle think that's important. People who may have voted Leave but are having second thoughts. People who voted Remain but have since been tempted to look at Leave.

If this gives them a face saving way of switching their allegiance firmly to Remain it will be a very good thing.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:A C Grayling making a complete fool of himself saying the Electoral Commission should have declared the Referendum void.

Which of course they aren't able to do :roll:

For me, every one of his interventions makes Brexit more likely.
He should at least hold back until the Electoral Commission has completed its investigation into the official leave campaign Vote Leave. Overspending by a single unofficial campaign can be shrugged off far more easily than overspending and illicit secret collaboration by the official campaign and others, with an overarching link to Aggregate IQ, a company closely associated with the established villains of the piece, Cambridge Analytica.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Theresa May has divided her cabinet into two groups to fight out their differences over Britain’s post-Brexit customs arrangements, intensifying speculation that she is preparing to delay her decision on the issue. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I thought Theresa May had now come up with a third option - is that not up for discussion? Or am I now as hopelessly confused and addled as she appears to be? I've almost given up trying to keep abreast of it all, and only sporadically bother even making the attempt.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-44069947" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Is there another Brexit way for Theresa May?"
Here is what sources have told me could be a new plan.
The prime minister comes up with a soft-ish form of Brexit, something its supporters would describe as "sensible" or "pragmatic".
Labour votes?
It would probably mean being in a customs union - and certainly maintaining extremely close links with the EU - all with the goal of minimising the harm to the economy at the point of departure.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I'm sure that JRM and his ERG cronies will accept all that without demur.......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... top-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"What did Leave.EU do wrong, and could its breaches stop Brexit?"
Leave.EU’s punishment for spending too much money in the EU referendum is to have to spend a bit more now. The Electoral Commission has fined the campaign organisation a total of £70,000 for failures in its declaration, with the regulator noting the level of penalties “has been constrained by the cap on the commission’s fines”.
Doh! I've only just picked up on stupidity of this ( can now see why threat of prison might be needed.)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Amazing news from Huddersfield
Health Secretary calls for HRI 'rethink'
The Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt is reported to have called for a rethink of plans to downgrade Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.

He's said the proposals aren't in the best interests of local people.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

HindleA wrote:Morning

Grammar schools in England to get £50m expansion fund

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ansion-fun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driv ... r-families" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Absolute dead horse being flogged here, in fact a zombie holdover from last year's failed GE campaign.

(and its far from the only one of those)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:---
I've almost given up trying to keep abreast of it all, and only sporadically bother even making the attempt.
mission accomplished for May's government
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

tinybgoat wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-44069947
"Is there another Brexit way for Theresa May?"
Here is what sources have told me could be a new plan.
The prime minister comes up with a soft-ish form of Brexit, something its supporters would describe as "sensible" or "pragmatic".
Labour votes?
It would probably mean being in a customs union - and certainly maintaining extremely close links with the EU - all with the goal of minimising the harm to the economy at the point of departure.
I think she wants a softish brexit and to sell it to the nutters as ok because we'll be making the regulations ourselves, which will just happen to be identical to the EU regulations. Sovereignty or, as others would have it, red tape, which is good as long as it's our red tape.

cf Galileo, nuclear regulation, etc
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 96545.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Jacob Rees-Mogg: 'Walking through fields' at Irish border won't provide insight on Brexit"
"This seems fanciful, all the relevant governments have said that they do not want physical infrastructure at the border, if all three don't want it, who is going to do it?"
I doubt the local Sainsbury's want to have security guards stationed at the door, but, strangely enough, they still do.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

tinybgoat wrote:https://amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 96545.html
"Jacob Rees-Mogg: 'Walking through fields' at Irish border won't provide insight on Brexit"
"This seems fanciful, all the relevant governments have said that they do not want physical infrastructure at the border, if all three don't want it, who is going to do it?"
I doubt the local Sainsbury's want to have security guards stationed at the door, but, strangely enough, they still do.
Great point well made.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Krishnan Guru-Murthy
@krishgm
·
27m
So after being told by @andywigmore that @Arron_banks would do an interview about the fine for leave.eu breaking spending rules we hired a crew to go to Ballymena and waited. He ran off saying he wouldn’t do #C4news. I can only conclude Arron is afraid
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/outsourc ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Outsourcing firm Interserve faces City watchdog investigation
The FCA inquiry is the latest problem for the beleaguered company, which is one of the UK's biggest private sector employers.
Back in 2012 David Cameron boasted that the economic "good news is going to keep coming." Six years later and most of us are still wondering when it's going to start.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... yn-russian" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Move along....

bbc-rejects-complaints-newsnight-corbyn-russian
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all. Been in that Oxford all day and just got back.

Think someone at the DfE needs to read the list of school types again. Then delete one.
By creating new #schools where they are needed most and helping all great schools - whether it is a comprehensive, academy, faith school, or selective school - to grow, we can give more children from all backgrounds the world-class education they deserve. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driv ... r-families" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
A school can be both academy and any of these others...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.