Saturday 12th & Sunday 13th May 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 12th & Sunday 13th May 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 12th & Sunday 13th May 2018

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Hello, anybody there?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I waited in all day yesterday for a delivery that never came which meant I had to go out shopping this morning instead of yesterday and now I'm all behind. The guinea pigs are still waiting for their breakfast.
So here's a quick link. Back later, maybe.

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2018 ... alism.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Remain fundamentalism
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

He is always good, even when you don't completely agree with him.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Thanks for the link Willow - an interesting angle.

A bit like luring Man City into your half of the pitch in the hope you can nip and get one past them on the break!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I read a piece this morning (can't remember who by sorry) that was asking who, if anyone, might emerge as leader of the Tory Remainers.

For me the front runner is Nicky Morgan. But does she have what it takes? I don't know why but I quite like her. Perhaps she seems quite human for a Tory.

There is a point that she has nothing much to lose. Her career wasn't a spectacular success and it seems unlikely May will call her back to government. So, why not?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Anyway the news should pick up later on as they all report from the big TUC 'New Deal' demo in London

Oh...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
TUC march for 'new deal' for workers draws thousands in London

Event to highlight pay squeeze is set to be the largest rally in the capital for four years
(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -in-london
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Motorised shed to make speed record attempt at Pendine Sands (BBC News website)
Whether or not the shed is carpeted is an unknown.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-44054814
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/social-care ... are-reform" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Transparent and fair: what England can learn from Japan's social care reform
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Silver Birch Academy Trust in spotlight again over spending
Trip to New Zealand for schools’ bosses and refurbishments detailed in leaked report

A trust that runs four primary schools spent thousands of pounds on overseas trips for its leaders, more than £1,000 on two hotel rooms for two nights and almost £10,000 on Facebook adverts for a free school that has not yet been set up, according to allegations in a draft investigation seen by the Observer.

In a case that will raise further questions about the financial management of academies, an inquiry into Silver Birch Academy Trust claims it spent £6,117 on a fact-finding trip to China and New Zealand for its chief executive Patricia Davies, a former headteacher of the year, and her deputy. The draft investigation states that the trust allegedly spent £99,000 refurbishing a former caretaker’s house, later to be rented out to a member of staff. It claimed £10,000 of work had been done without quotes having been obtained, while no rent had been paid.

It alleges the trust spent £3.26m on services from six companies without providing evidence of any contracts having been signed. It also alleges that the trust had contracts with four consultancy companies, together worth £326,044, without the work having gone out to tender. Meanwhile, a school within the trust spent £1,064 on two rooms for two nights at the Hyatt Regency hotel, Birmingham, with £507 of this for a room where the guest did not turn up.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... -spotlight
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

You're all welcome.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@kb32904
4m4 minutes ago

Huge condolences to the family of Dame Tessa Jowell. She was a giant of the @UKLabour and was genuinely loved by all her colleagues.
Her dignity as she fought the cancer that killed her, was immense.
Rest in peace, Tessa
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@Debbie_abrahams
4m4 minutes ago

So, so sad to hear about the passing of former colleague & friend #DameTessaJowell She was so kind to me when I first became an MP. My sincere condolences to her family. #RIP
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ng-british" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

incontinent-fury-of-brexiters-who-rage-against-everything-british
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:@kb32904
4m4 minutes ago

Huge condolences to the family of Dame Tessa Jowell. She was a giant of the @UKLabour and was genuinely loved by all her colleagues.
Her dignity as she fought the cancer that killed her, was immense.
Rest in peace, Tessa
A great shame. She was very popular throughout the party.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rexit-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One million students join calls for vote on Brexit deal
Protests ‘will dwarf action over tuition fees’ as May and Corbyn face mounting pressure
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

tinyclanger2 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rexit-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One million students join calls for vote on Brexit deal
Protests ‘will dwarf action over tuition fees’ as May and Corbyn face mounting pressure
Except that, as many have pointed out, "one million students" have done no such thing.

Yet more FAKE NEWS from the Absurder, I'm afraid.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nearly half a million 'hidden' young people left without state help to survive and find work, ministers warned
I read the above article and just thought of Sure Start Centres. They were supposed to be a community resource, in every area, with the flexibility to be used for young people and their families in any way that suited the local area. While a lot of the focus was on young children, some centres were used to help young adults and school leavers with employment and careers advice. In their home towns, rather than many miles away at an every reducing number of job centres that are becoming more and more difficult to access for those not living in cities. Do job centres even offer help and advice to unemployed people not in receipt of benefits? I think they did once, but they're not really "job centres" anymoire, are they? They've been turned into benefit gatekeepers, which is a very different thing. Young people and their families have been abandoned by the Tories. A lot of problems are being stored up for the future, unfortunately.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Student organisations representing almost a million young people studying at UK universities and colleges are today joining forces to demand a referendum on any final Brexit deal, amid growing fears that leaving the EU will have a disastrous effect on their future prospects.
It might be an over-enthusiastic headline but in what way is it fake?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

New polling by Opinium, meanwhile, shows that Labour supporters are in favour of a people’s vote by 69% to 18%. The 18-34 age group support a people’s vote by a margin of 65% to 22%. Overall, 53% of the country supports the public having a vote on any final deal that the government agrees with the EU, compared to just 31% who oppose.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:You're all welcome.
Thank you
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
New polling by Opinium, meanwhile, shows that Labour supporters are in favour of a people’s vote by 69% to 18%. The 18-34 age group support a people’s vote by a margin of 65% to 22%. Overall, 53% of the country supports the public having a vote on any final deal that the government agrees with the EU, compared to just 31% who oppose.
Not surprising. Some of them didn't get to vote last time.

Many people remained unreconciled to joining the Common Market despite a much bigger majority in favour. The idea that those opposed will just give up and accept Brexit is unrealistic. Hannan is bizarrely right. The logical approach parliament should take is one that reconciles two opposing points of view with a compromise that favours neither. No winners, means no losers.

There are elements of the "Lord's Brexit" of EEA membership which are positive. No more concerns about "ever closer union". No more pressure to join the Euro. EFTA has elements that could be built on that could provide the two-speed Europe that many find attractive. As no outcome is ideal, including staying in the EU, in terms of reconciling polar opposite views and healing divisions, the Lord's Brexit is not so very bad. Indeed, its potential to build consensus, if building consensus is the desire, seems to be greater than any other option. Enough to at least consider it, surely.

But only if its positives are promoted. Although the hard Brexiters will resist, with slogans of "rule takers instead of rule makers" this is no reason to give up the fight before it's begun. Any trade deals we make with anyone ultimately leave us with sets of rules we must follow, so I find it a hollow argument. Ultimately, we circle round to the argument I have made from the beginning. Whatever you call it, the only way to enjoy all the benefits of the single market, as Labour's 6 tests claim they want, is to accept all the rules of the single market. Any special opt outs (on state aid etc) may lead to some benefits if agreed, but will never give us all the benefits we have now. And Corbyn talks of wanting assurances rules won't change and that's why he won't contemplate EEA, but to me that makes no sense. If it's the best fit now, then that's all we can base our decision on. If it becomes a bad fit in the future, then we can always leave then, but why take a worse deal now because of something that may or may not happen later?

At least the possibility of single market membership as an option is now on the table, courtesy of the Lords. To rule it out without at least a debate would have been very undemocratic given the many polls showing support for it.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Student organisations representing almost a million young people studying at UK universities and colleges are today joining forces to demand a referendum on any final Brexit deal, amid growing fears that leaving the EU will have a disastrous effect on their future prospects.
They could only fit 12 people into the photo?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.politico.eu/article/theresa ... tion-plan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"May intervenes to speed up new UK immigration plan"
The new timetable also means the paper will be published before the long-awaited migration advisory committee’s report into the economics of immigration, which Home Office officials had until recently said would inform the government’s policy.
The committee has been asked to report by September 2018.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

tinybgoat wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
In my brain, if the national union of students represents 95% of students unions in the UK, then arguably the elected President of the NUS alone could be described as representing the students who are members of those unions.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:

In my brain, if the national union of students represents 95% of students unions in the UK, then arguably the elected President of the NUS alone could be described as representing the students who are members of those unions.
That seems reasonable (both inside and outside your brain), and article was ok, it's just the headline that's a bit Ott.
this ones better (and has 16 people in photo )
https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -on-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and the independent,sensibly, goes for
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 6.html?amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Student groups with a million members back call for second Brexit referendum"
but only manages one person in photo (and blue skinned at that!) ;)
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I read a piece this morning (can't remember who by sorry) that was asking who, if anyone, might emerge as leader of the Tory Remainers.

For me the front runner is Nicky Morgan. But does she have what it takes? I don't know why but I quite like her. Perhaps she seems quite human for a Tory.

There is a point that she has nothing much to lose. Her career wasn't a spectacular success and it seems unlikely May will call her back to government. So, why not?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 1.html?amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Britain ‘held to ransom’ by Tories pushing for hard Brexit, Nicky Morgan warns in new alliance with Labour and Lib Dem heavyweights"
Ex-cabinet minister Nicky Morgan is joining forces with Labour and Liberal Democrat heavyweights to warn that Britain is being “held to ransom” by fellow Tories hell bent on a hard Brexit .
David Miliband and Nick Clegg will share a platform with Ms Morgan in the starkest evidence yet that party allegiances are breaking down as battle rages over departure from the EU.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

tinybgoat wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I read a piece this morning (can't remember who by sorry) that was asking who, if anyone, might emerge as leader of the Tory Remainers.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 1.html?amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Britain ‘held to ransom’ by Tories pushing for hard Brexit, Nicky Morgan warns in new alliance with Labour and Lib Dem heavyweights"
Ex-cabinet minister Nicky Morgan is joining forces with Labour and Liberal Democrat heavyweights to warn that Britain is being “held to ransom” by fellow Tories hell bent on a hard Brexit .
David Miliband and Nick Clegg will share a platform with Ms Morgan in the starkest evidence yet that party allegiances are breaking down as battle rages over departure from the EU.
Well good for her.

Although sharing a platform with Miliband D and Clegg is not that auspicious a start :twisted:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

The pro-Brexit press will angrily protest, but what is the role of MPs if not to improve and protect the lives of their constituents?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-possible" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The Guardian view on Brexit and parliament: another way is possible
Editorial"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Rawnsley in surprisingly good form:
The last effort [to reform the Lords] was in the coalition years, when Nick Clegg, with tepid support from Mr Cameron, brought forward legislation which proposed that the Lords be replaced with an 80% elected chamber. That attempt at reform was sabotaged by a rebellion by Conservative backbenchers. And who was prominent in that revolt against democracy? Among the names were one Bernard Jenkin and one Jacob Rees-Mogg, the very same Jenkin and the very same Rees-Mogg who now fulminate against the unelected peers they previously battled to preserve. Also among the saboteurs were Nadine Dorries, Peter Bone, Steve Baker, Bill Cash and other hard Brexiters who now pose as tribunes of the people. Oh, and we shouldn’t forget that David Davis, the Brexit secretary himself, was one too, along with the Brexiter press that now bellows about the “treachery” of the upper house.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ng-british" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/cross-p ... hting/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ian Duncan Smith, still (metaphorically) a ****
“They do literally plunge a knife into the heart of government and particularly to the Prime Minister – because it is very much her fixed view, and that is what we stood on at the last election.”
Last edited by tinybgoat on Sun 13 May, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

tinybgoat wrote:https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/cross-p ... hting/amp/
Ian Duncan Smith, still (metaphorically) a ****
“They do literally plunge a knife into the heart of government and particularly to the Prime Minister – because it is very much her fixed view, and that is what we stood on at the last election.”
After requesting the interviewer "not use emotive language". :toss:
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote:Rawnsley in surprisingly good form:
The last effort [to reform the Lords] was in the coalition years, when Nick Clegg, with tepid support from Mr Cameron, brought forward legislation which proposed that the Lords be replaced with an 80% elected chamber. That attempt at reform was sabotaged by a rebellion by Conservative backbenchers. And who was prominent in that revolt against democracy? Among the names were one Bernard Jenkin and one Jacob Rees-Mogg, the very same Jenkin and the very same Rees-Mogg who now fulminate against the unelected peers they previously battled to preserve. Also among the saboteurs were Nadine Dorries, Peter Bone, Steve Baker, Bill Cash and other hard Brexiters who now pose as tribunes of the people. Oh, and we shouldn’t forget that David Davis, the Brexit secretary himself, was one too, along with the Brexiter press that now bellows about the “treachery” of the upper house.
Good BTL's on the NHS post-brexit. Apparently the exceptions to the 1994 WTO Government Puchasing Agreement only apply as a member of the EU .

A nugget here -- Kitboy @ milinovak 7h ago

The US sanctions on Iran are just a way of getting more trade for itself. Yes the headline grabbing $20 billion deal with Boeing will likely be scrapped but the US government has given 15000 exemptions to US companies to continue trading with Iran over the last 2 decades even when they had sanctions in place.

I worked for a Swedish medical company and we were banned from contracts with Iran if we wanted to continue trading in the US in 2012. Our main competitor a US company was given an exemption by the US government and basically took all our trade in Iran from us and continues to this day. it now has a monopoly of the machines in Iran.

https://www.unitedagainstnucleariran.co ... al-systems" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

America FIRST ! :-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

frog222 wrote:
refitman wrote:Rawnsley in surprisingly good form:
Good BTL's on the NHS post-brexit. Apparently the exceptions to the 1994 WTO Government Puchasing Agreement only apply as a member of the EU .

A nugget here -- Kitboy @ milinovak 7h ago

The US sanctions on Iran are just a way of getting more trade for itself. Yes the headline grabbing $20 billion deal with Boeing will likely be scrapped but the US government has given 15000 exemptions to US companies to continue trading with Iran over the last 2 decades even when they had sanctions in place.

I worked for a Swedish medical company and we were banned from contracts with Iran if we wanted to continue trading in the US in 2012. Our main competitor a US company was given an exemption by the US government and basically took all our trade in Iran from us and continues to this day. it now has a monopoly of the machines in Iran.

https://www.unitedagainstnucleariran.co ... al-systems" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

America FIRST ! :-)
Wow
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Bizarrely the Scum is presumably promoting this because it think it make Starmer look bad

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6277286/l ... t-britain/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

labours-brexit-chief-keir-starmer-couldnt-give-single-example-of-how-leaving-eu-will-benefit-britain