Monday 14th May 2018.

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Monday 14th May 2018.

Post by HindleA »

Morning

In back garden in underwear.I didn't get to where I'm not today by wearing excess clothes
The dressing gown is on holiday in Cuba
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 14th May 2018.

Post by HindleA »

Complex rules for universal credit see one in five claims fail

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... oo-complex" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

David Miliband is trending on Twitter :roll:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I mean don't get me wrong, he has an opinion and insight to offer on Brexit, but of course it's being portrayed as the saviour from over the water coming to sort Labour out.

I hope he takes the chance to say Labour are doing their best in a difficult situation and that it's the Tories who are a shambles.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... vulnerable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... rity-warns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deaf children losing out as English councils cut support, charity warns
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Some good moaning on Twitter about the wall to wall appearances by the Tax Payers' Alliance on the BBC recently.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I hope he takes the chance to say Labour are doing their best in a difficult situation and that it's the Tories who are a shambles.
And I would like a pony.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Strangely, for a supposed ultra democratic expression of "the people's will", the EU referendum is threatening to have the biggest impact on people who didn't get a vote, such as long time ex-pats living in the EU, EU citizens settled in the UK and a group of people hitherto completely forgotten:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brexit: Falkland Islands government sounds alarm on leaving single market
EU is destination for vast majority of territory’s exports
While the rest of us have been told our wellbeing for at least the next 10 years is irrelevant, presumably the wellbeing of Falkland Islanders is irrelevant, fullstop?!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Israel has warned Gaza’s residents that their lives will be in danger if they take part in a mass rally planned to protest against the opening of the US embassy in Jerusalem later on Monday.
From the guardian
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:Strangely, for a supposed ultra democratic expression of "the people's will", the EU referendum is threatening to have the biggest impact on people who didn't get a vote, such as long time ex-pats living in the EU, EU citizens settled in the UK and a group of people hitherto completely forgotten:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While the rest of us have been told our wellbeing for at least the next 10 years is irrelevant, presumably the wellbeing of Falkland Islanders is irrelevant, fullstop?!
Gibraltar too. Maybe there's something about being more British than the British that also makes you more European than the British.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

searching through historical records and legislation for mechanisms available for non-violent peoples wanting rid of bad, broken government
ritual chanting may be involved
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:
Israel has warned Gaza’s residents that their lives will be in danger if they take part in a mass rally planned to protest against the opening of the US embassy in Jerusalem later on Monday.
From the guardian
How rude
I advise Israel and the US to reconsider their plans and choose a better course of action respecting lives and the well-being of everyone
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

adam wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I hope he takes the chance to say Labour are doing their best in a difficult situation and that it's the Tories who are a shambles.
And I would like a pony.
On BBCNews24 just now he was saying something about the Lords being ahead of the party leadership. :roll:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I'm not sure Nicky Morgan had thought this through.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Ian Birrell

@ianbirrell
Follow Follow @ianbirrell
More
I agree with much of what David Miliband says on Brexit. But sadly his ego & ambition stops him seeing that he symbolises so many of the things that drove people to back withdrawal & still corrode politics
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:
Willow904 wrote:Strangely, for a supposed ultra democratic expression of "the people's will", the EU referendum is threatening to have the biggest impact on people who didn't get a vote, such as long time ex-pats living in the EU, EU citizens settled in the UK and a group of people hitherto completely forgotten:

Gibraltar too. Maybe there's something about being more British than the British that also makes you more European than the British.
Gibraltar did at least get a vote, for all the good it did them. Like Northern Ireland, though, the weight of their vote completely failed to reflect the much greater impact of a Brexit decision on them in particular. It's not like this problem wasn't highlighted during the debate to hold a referendum. Which is why I'm still angry at Labour for supporting it.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:Ian Birrell

@ianbirrell
Follow Follow @ianbirrell
More
I agree with much of what David Miliband says on Brexit. But sadly his ego & ambition stops him seeing that he symbolises so many of the things that drove people to back withdrawal & still corrode politics
And its a former speechwriter for Cameron who gets it.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Quite significant, I think:

https://euobserver.com/tickers/141798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Norway is open to the UK joining the European Economic Area after Brexit, prime minister Erna Solberg has said in an interview with the Financial Times. "I think we will cope very well if the Brits come in. It will give bargaining power on our side too," she added. The House of Lords voted last week in favour of the so-called 'Norway option' for staying in the single market.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:
adam wrote:
From the guardian
How rude
I advise Israel and the US to reconsider their plans and choose a better course of action respecting lives and the well-being of everyone
I'm not being flippant. Bad decisions made and dangerous action threatened requires unequivocal, simple, non-violent responses. I'm not suggesting those responses are all that's necessary.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:I'm not sure Nicky Morgan had thought this through.
What is this about?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
What is this about?
Getting together with DMiliband and Clegg, that's all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Ah, of course.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/ ... den-crisis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Housing and disabled people: Britain's hidden crisis

EHRC.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
What is this about?
Getting together with DMiliband and Clegg, that's all.
I think she's already blotted her copybook as far as little Englander Tory leave voters are concerned, so perhaps she feels she's nothing to lose by going all out liberal pro-remain. Especially as it seems she's already getting abuse for her position, anyway:
Adam Payne
@adampayne26
Nicky Morgan says in 3 weeks time she’ll be in court over a death threat she received for voting against government. Adds that it’s not treachery to point out that Brexit is not going well and will harm Britain.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Up early to go into school and check on SATs admin. Papers still in their packaging locked in a cupboard in a locked room...in the basement.

Then to a check up for 'er indoors. All fine. next appointment in 3 months.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]q_93nOqwmhU[/youtube]
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Groan squared :roll:
When David Miliband fled to New York to run the International Rescue Committee, he cannot have imagined his old country would be most in need of his services
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nomic-area" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

david-miliband-theresa-may-brexit-tory-european-economic-area
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well it is Simon "wrong about everything" Jenkins tbf :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AmnestyInternational‏
Verified account
@amnesty

We are witnessing an abhorrent violation of international law & human rights in #Gaza. 38 confirmed dead, including 6 children, with close to 2000 people injured. Many are reporting injuries to the head and chest. Over 500 injured with live ammunition. This must end immediately.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Yitzhak Rabin must be spinning in his grave.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Yitzhak Rabin must be spinning in his grave.
Worse, looks like his assassin got much (if not all) of what he wanted.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Well quite.
David Schneider

Verified account

@davidschneider
1h1 hour ago
More
Alt right: “Snowflake! Cuck! Remoaner! Libtard! Beta! SJW! Triggered!”

Left: “Gammon!”

Alt right: “How dare you call people names!"
These are the same people wh are fully behind free speech with no exceptions as well I would imagine.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Guy Verhofstadt
‏Verified account
@guyverhofstadt

43 killed & 1800 wounded in a few hours is pure atrocity! Throwing matches into a powder keg for the sake of symbolism & regressing moves towards peaceful solution is how POTUS conceives his policy in the #MiddleEast. This is not the way to pursue peace
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Jim Waterson
‏Verified account
@jimwaterson

Press regulation is back back back! The House of Lords has just rejected the verdict of the House of Commons and voted by 252 to 213 to establish a new Leveson-style public inquiry into the conduct of the media. Now MPs will have to vote *again*.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:AmnestyInternational‏
Verified account
@amnesty

We are witnessing an abhorrent violation of international law & human rights in #Gaza. 38 confirmed dead, including 6 children, with close to 2000 people injured. Many are reporting injuries to the head and chest. Over 500 injured with live ammunition. This must end immediately.
I know
jesus christ almighty
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Just, wow.
LFI @_LFI

Tragic events on the Gazan border; all civilian deaths are regrettable. Hamas must accept responsibility for these events. Their successful attempt to hijack peaceful protest as cover to attack Israeli border communities must be condemned by all who seek peace in the Middle East.
4:31 PM - May 14, 2018
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Donald Trump makes no secret of the fact that he has no use for subject-matter experts. By all appearances, the president is especially indifferent to the judgment of scholars and authorities in matters of foreign policy.

The Washington Post had an interesting piece last week on Trump’s approach to international affairs, which is driven by his confidence in a “gut-driven” approach that he sees as effective, despite experts’ warnings. In particular, his decision to relocate the U.S. embassy in Israel to Jerusalem is, in Trump’s mind, a great example of his wisdom.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... pts-israel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Peace isn't kept using violence
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

May defeated in Lords as peers back new Leveson-style press inquiry by majority of 39

The government has lost the vote by 252 votes to 213 - a majority of 39. That means have voted in favour a new Leveson-style press inquiry.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote:Just, wow.
LFI @_LFI

Tragic events on the Gazan border; all civilian deaths are regrettable. Hamas must accept responsibility for these events. Their successful attempt to hijack peaceful protest as cover to attack Israeli border communities must be condemned by all who seek peace in the Middle East.
4:31 PM - May 14, 2018
Perhaps the LFI should demonstrate outside parliament against those Evil Leftwing and FAUX Humanitarian people who condemn Israel's disproportionate use of force ?

They MUST be antisemitic, mustn't they ? Let's have a supporting demo !! We could invite Chuka (Boo!) and David Lammy ( see what we did ? )

For some time I've been quietly seething at the LP's lack of reaction to all the smears . Extraordinarily unimaginative . Grrr !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote:
May defeated in Lords as peers back new Leveson-style press inquiry by majority of 39

The government has lost the vote by 252 votes to 213 - a majority of 39. That means have voted in favour a new Leveson-style press inquiry.
Absolutely BRILLIANT !

OK, I haven't read the small print!, but it does look rather good ...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump

Big week next week when the American Embassy in Israel will be moved to Jerusalem. Congratulations to all!

Translate Trump
@TranslateRealDT

Big week next week when I defy the United Nations and move the American Embassy to a disputed city in a volatile region on a specific date when tensions are most inflamed. And then invite a man who called Islam a "cult" to give the opening prayer.

What could possibly go wrong?Translate Trump added,
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

David Lammy

Verified account

@DavidLammy

Shocking and unacceptable. @emmadentcoad tells Parliament that a fourth food bank is opening in the Grenfell area. In the richest borough in the country with a council that has £ millions in reserves. A shocking indictment of a broken system.

5:01 PM - 14 May 2018
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

ohsocynical wrote:David Lammy

Verified account

@DavidLammy

Shocking and unacceptable. @emmadentcoad tells Parliament that a fourth food bank is opening in the Grenfell area. In the richest borough in the country with a council that has £ millions in reserves. A shocking indictment of a broken system.

Perhaps we should ask him WHY he demonstrated so enthusiastically beside the "Labour Friends of Israel" ONLY the other day ( nothing to do with declared £ contributions), and I'd be very surprised, today, if he minded that much about a few hundred shot rag-heads .

Of course, finding an equivalence between being 'dead', and having one's sensibilities wounded by some sort of antisemitic slur is EXACTLY equivalent !
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

frog222 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:David Lammy

Verified account

@DavidLammy

Perhaps we should ask him WHY he demonstrated so enthusiastically beside the "Labour Friends of Israel" ONLY the other day ( nothing to do with declared £ contributions), and I'd be very surprised, today, if he minded that much about a few hundred shot rag-heads .

Of course, finding an equivalence between being 'dead', and having one's sensibilities wounded by some sort of antisemitic slur is EXACTLY equivalent !
Terribly challenging events. We do need to remember this is a public forum.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Paul -- of course you are right in reminding me to cool down !

My own position on the LFI is that they are the English equivalents of the French Crif and the American AIPAC .

Those I call the "Israel Firsters" are the same tribalist deplorables who believe tax-cutting will produce Free Health Care for all .
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

frog222 wrote:Paul -- of course you are right in reminding me to cool down !

My own position on the LFI is that they are the English equivalents of the French Crif and the American AIPAC .

Those I call the "Israel Firsters" are the same tribalist deplorables who believe tax-cutting will produce Free Health Care for all .
Thanks frog

One thing for sure, the Palestinian kids who were killed today were not to blame for any of this.

PTO