Wednesday 23rd May 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
adam
First Secretary of State

Wednesday 23rd May 2018

Post by adam »

Morning
From last night
tinybgoat wrote:https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 6.html?amp
"EU to reject Theresa May's call for Northern Ireland 'backstop' to be time limited"
https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... toms-union" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Hard Brexit Tories pressure May over customs union
Johnson, Gove and Rees-Mogg deride PM’s plan and demand minimal transition period"
We can't fail to understand that what we've agreed to is to keep NI fully aligned, in the absence of any other agreement, as a 'backstop'. We can't honestly think that the rest of the EU would possibly accept the idea that we would just have to make a bit of an effort at this for a while and then we could do what we wanted. We are beyond delusional.

Edited to add - one of our moans is 'how dare they suggest we divide NI away from the rest of the UK' but nobody is saying that. So far as the EU is concerned the question of whether we use the backstop just in NI or in the whole of the UK is a matter for our sovereignty and nothing to do with them, but if we do keep just NI aligned then we are chosing, as our sovereign decision, the consequences that follow for having a border between NI and the rest of the UK.
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 23rd May 2018

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... on-defeats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Michael Gove attacks Philip Hammond over Brexit legislation defeats"
Gove said that choosing to follow the path favoured by Hammond on environmental regulations, rather than the one he proposed, had left the government at the mercy of the “reality of parliamentary arithmetic”. The government suffered 15 defeats in the Lords over the bill.
That might explain 1 of the defeats, so will Gvt. just amend it back to what Gove wanted, confirming his superior abilities?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ne-voyager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Boris Johnson wants a plane as PM's is rarely available – and too grey"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
yep
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

@adam

What's so frustrating is the press should be ripping May to shreds. She is doing nothing. Nothing to solve Brexit. And nothing else.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:@adam

What's so frustrating is the press should be ripping May to shreds. She is doing nothing. Nothing to solve Brexit. And nothing else.
I was thinking that, yesterday. It's odd, isn't it - even by the standards of the British press. Reminds me of the atmospheric conditions which prevail before a big thunder storm. But the storm, if there's to be one, is an awfully long time coming.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I am a little surprised that the leave ultra-campaigners have been as quiet as they have for so long. It's a sign of UKIP aren't any kind of independent entity any more that they aren't marching in the street about what's happening.

I think - although I would think this wouldn't I - that the reason they're saying nothing is that there's nothing to say other than 'this is hopelessly complicated and we're screwed'. It is the case that leaving is very complicated. It is the case that there is no hope at all of a future trading position being anything other than worse than what we had before. It is the case that there is no answer to the NI border that doesn't involve either abandoning the pretence that we can keep things just as they are now or abandoning our supposed red lines on the custom's union.

And these are just the real impossible to avoid headline things. What's going to happen about Euratom? About diagnostic and therapeutic radiotherapy? About our nuclear power industry? What's going to happen about flights into and out of the country? What's going to happen about pharmaceutical regulation? About the practical provision of customs checks?

And even these are really fairly big headline things. How many issues are sitting underneath that haven't made the headlines?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I had trouble finding it (Politics Live, Guardian) today, but here it is -

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... itics-live
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://uk.businessinsider.com/inside-th ... xit-2018-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Inside the Brexit battle to keep Britain in the single market"
Now buoyed by the expectation that MPs will vote for Britain to stay in a customs union with the European Union, leading Remain campaigners are starting to eye up their next prize: staying in the European Economic Area.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Hilary Benn goes next. He says the committee is “struggling to understand” what Braverman is saying. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I think we all are. I certainly am.

(Just in case anyone's forgotten, "Braverman" is Suella Fernandes, as was. Yet another not stupid Conservative (who also happens to be a woman)).

Edited - brackets
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

'there's no alternative'
'okay there is an alternative but it's a communist fascist state with brexit on top'
'property values will drop'
'tory government is strong and stable'
'because tory government says so that's why don't ask any more communist questions'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PorFavor wrote:

I was thinking that, yesterday. It's odd, isn't it - even by the standards of the British press. Reminds me of the atmospheric conditions which prevail before a big thunder storm. But the storm, if there's to be one, is an awfully long time coming.
True, but that means that when it *does* come it could be all the more intense. There is a bit of a "phoney war" feel to things at present.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:
Hilary Benn goes next. He says the committee is “struggling to understand” what Braverman is saying. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I think we all are. I certainly am.

(Just in case anyone's forgotten, "Braverman" is Suella Fernandes, as was. Yet another not stupid Conservative (who also happens to be a woman)).

“I haven’t read all of the Good Friday Agreement”
“Have you read any of it ?”
“No.”

Crace would have little to add ! :-)

Edited - brackets
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Another decent PMQs for Corbyn today, it appears.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ken Clarke backs John Bercow over 'stupid woman' row

In a point of order after PMQs Ken Clarke, the Conservative MP and father of the Commons, defended John Bercow, the speaker, over complaints that Bercow called Andrea Leadsom, the leader of the Commons, a “stupid woman” in muttered remarks from the chair last week. Clarke said:

Would you agree, Mr Speaker, if every time a member of this House has felt moved to say under his breath something rather abusive about another member, and action was taken, the chamber would be deserted for considerable quantities of time?

Would you not agree it’s best to leave this to the body that is now investigating it and perhaps hope that some common sense will be applied to this rather overheated subject?

(Politics Live, Guardian)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ex-mayor of Ipswich denied citizenship after almost 40 years in UK

Home Office tells Inga Lockington, who moved from Denmark in 1979, it ‘cannot be satisfied’ she is permanently resident (Guardian)

Edited to correct attribution. It's actually from the Guardian, thus:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ears-in-uk
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 23 May, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Can the HomeOffice do anything right ?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

frog222 wrote:Can the HomeOffice do anything right ?
QTWTAIN?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frog222 wrote:Can the HomeOffice do anything right ?
The alarming thing is, is that they think that what they are doing is right unless, and until, their actions make the news.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

A significant trickle? A resounding tinkle?
The government is promising to respect the remit of the European court of justice in relation to participating in EU programmes.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Back in the committee Thomson says HMRC has 1,100 staff working on Brexit. In response to a question about whether HMRC is looking at just the government’s two preferred customs options, or whether it is looking at others as well, he says two is enough.
This isn't a criticism of HMRC but of the government, but we're concentrating all of our energy on two proposals that come pre-refused by the rest of the EU.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
Ken Clarke backs John Bercow over 'stupid woman' row

In a point of order after PMQs Ken Clarke, the Conservative MP and father of the Commons, defended John Bercow, the speaker, over complaints that Bercow called Andrea Leadsom, the leader of the Commons, a “stupid woman” in muttered remarks from the chair last week. Clarke said:

Would you agree, Mr Speaker, if every time a member of this House has felt moved to say under his breath something rather abusive about another member, and action was taken, the chamber would be deserted for considerable quantities of time?

Would you not agree it’s best to leave this to the body that is now investigating it and perhaps hope that some common sense will be applied to this rather overheated subject?

(Politics Live, Guardian)
They can't forgive Bercow for being a member of the Speaker party.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:
Back in the committee Thomson says HMRC has 1,100 staff working on Brexit. In response to a question about whether HMRC is looking at just the government’s two preferred customs options, or whether it is looking at others as well, he says two is enough.
This isn't a criticism of HMRC but of the government, but we're concentrating all of our energy on two proposals that come pre-refused by the rest of the EU.
(cJA emphasis)

How then can people effectively 'work on Brexit' under those conditions?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I do think the present goings on in the Home Office are down to being very much understaffed, as well as the toxic internal culture that I very much agree exists.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/views/blogs ... 8s.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This back-door reorganisation spells the end of general practice
23 May 2018

Dr Kailash Chand
Why the government's second thoughts about CCG's is unlikely to be a good thing.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Here is some reaction to the HMRC evidence to the Treasury committee.

From George Parker, political editor of the Financial Times

George Parker @GeorgeWParker

Brexit just got crazier. Head of HMRC warns that the so-called "max fac" customs proposal being studied by the cabinet would cost business £17bn-£20bn a year. That is about double the UK's annual net contribution to the EU. So why are they even considering it?
4:16 PM - May 23, 2018 (Politics Live, Guardian)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Jeremy Corbyn has announced that Labour will abolish the Lords if elected.

Which is a fairly clear response to the Mail :lol:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Jeremy Corbyn has announced that Labour will abolish the Lords if elected.

Which is a fairly clear response to the Mail :lol:
I await their editorial - penned by Dacre, of course - lavishing praise on him 8-)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/a ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exclusive: Yulia Skripal - Attempted assassination turned my world upside down
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Faisal Islam
@faisalislam
·
9m
NEW: Government to announce tomorrow it will bring back all the Brexit Bills next month to put to the Commons - facing down the (a?) customs union rebels... rebels though are confident they will win. ERG wanted it, now we get considerable fireworks in June. 1922 told today
Crunch time.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I thought this was a spoof story when I first saw it. First evidence of the consequences of Trump using his Twitter account as an unprecedented form of Presidential communication? I'd say this was bizarre, but in reality Trump tweeting presidential announcements and opinions is bizarre, so maybe this is actually a perfectly reasonable ruling.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Judges in the US have ruled that Donald Trump can't block Twitter users as it would violate the First Amendment
They also said that the President's Twitter feed was a "public forum"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

"Respect the result" Campaign by Conservative party.
https://respecttheresult.co.uk/respecttheresult" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Local campaigners up and down this country are concerned that Labour are attempting to frustrate Brexit ignoring the result of the referendum.
They are clear that we need the best Brexit deal for our country - and know Labour's approach won't deliver this.
That's why they are asking their local MPs to respect the result.
(First I'd heard of it, not sure if it's new.)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/views/blogs ... 8s.twitter
This back-door reorganisation spells the end of general practice
23 May 2018

Dr Kailash Chand
Why the government's second thoughts about CCG's is unlikely to be a good thing.
IMO the only thing which will save the NHS in the long term is proportional representation, because if the tories don't succeed this time they'll be back for another go in x years.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

A £400m fund announced by Theresa May to pay for replacing combustible cladding on up to 158 social housing high-rise buildings following the Grenfell Tower fire, means fewer affordable homes will be built in the coming years, it has emerged.

The government has admitted that the funds for the renovations are being taken from the Affordable Homes Programme.

Neither May nor the secretary of state for housing, James Brokenshire, mentioned that the money was coming from that budget when they announced the bailout last week, triggering widespread relief in the housing sector.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... able-homes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shocked, etc
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

(more on 'respect the result')
https://brexitcentral.com/tory-hq-launc ... ing-seats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Tory HQ launches online campaign to pile pressure on anti-Brexit Labour MPs in Leave-backing seats"
In advance of the European Union (Withdrawal) Bill returning to the Commons next month, the Conservatives have launched a website – Respect the Result – specifically targeting Labour MPs with a record of seeking to oppose Brexit while representing areas which voted to Leave.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

tinybgoat wrote:(more on 'respect the result')
https://brexitcentral.com/tory-hq-launc ... ing-seats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Tory HQ launches online campaign to pile pressure on anti-Brexit Labour MPs in Leave-backing seats"
In advance of the European Union (Withdrawal) Bill returning to the Commons next month, the Conservatives have launched a website – Respect the Result – specifically targeting Labour MPs with a record of seeking to oppose Brexit while representing areas which voted to Leave.
Splendidly of course, Bath & NE Somerset, part of which Rees-Mogg represents, voted 58% for Remain :twisted: