Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th June 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th June 2018

Post by HindleA »

PTO'd
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ssil-fuels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Green energy feels the heat as subsidies go to fossil fuels
Community projects can slash household bills but the sector has ground to a halt in Britain – in contrast with schemes in Europe
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:PTO'd
Page one is now well refreshed.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... clash.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When two mass movements clash

Wren-Lewis
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Its a tad generous to call what we saw yesterday a "mass movement", but he may still not be wrong on the best Labour strategy.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

According to the Sunday Politics, Boris Johnson will be avoiding the Heathrow vote because he is going somewhere so dangerous that the press isn't even allowed to know where, let alone accompany him.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Re my last post - I'm not making this up (to coin a phrase).
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... clash.html

When two mass movements clash

Wren-Lewis
I often agree with Wren-Lewis and even when I don't I can see where he's coming from, but I found it hard to follow a lot of his logic on this. As far as I can tell, any deal the EU will agree to will be anathema to hard Brexiters but from the point of view of those who wish to remain close to the EU it will certainly be better than no deal at all. Now the meaningful vote amendment has been lost the only way to avoid a no deal Brexit is to vote for May's deal. If the Irish Border solution is agreeable to the EU it will be unagreeable to Tory hard Brexiters so there is no guarantee they will support such a deal so Labour will need to vote for it to make sure it goes through and we secure a transition period.

What Labour voters think of Labour's actions shouldn't be the priority here. Preventing irreparable harm to this country should be the only thing that Labour MPs should be worrying about right now. If they get the chance, of course. It's possible May won't get a deal and then there's little they can do. Then it will be down to whether enough Tory MPs have the integrity to put the country's interests first and call for a vote of no confidence and try to negotiate a pause in the article 50 process.

As others have commented, the meaningful vote amendment may not be the end. Extraordinary events can still happen. But the possibility of a positive outcome has reduced considerably and Labour's room for manoeuvre virtually gone with Grieve's capitulation. And if people are angry at Labour at this time it's this sense helplessness that they are most probably angry at, however unfair that might be. Corbyn and his supporters are starting to discover that despite the celebrations they lost the last election after all. As I said at the time the gamble from May was not so great, she didn't have to win by much she just had to win and she gains two extra years in which the Tories and their friends get to shape our post-EU future. All we can do is hope and pray she isn't as insane as she seems and will at some point (when it's too late for a leadership challenge) dump the ultra Brexiters and lock us into a withdrawal agreement that makes hard Brexit next to impossible. Right now that seems our best hope for a less disastrous outcome and sadly it's not much of a hope at all.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Appending to the above.

If my logic of Labour having to vote for the withdrawal agreement is correct and the leadership see this then of course supporting a "people's vote" is not an option for them. By necessity they can't get behind it. I struggle to see how there was ever going to be time for one anyway, even if you think asking the public yet another complicated and potentially divisive question is a good idea, which I don't. You'll only get the same answer as the first time, which was very clearly "we don't really know". Parliament caused this mess and parliament has to fix it, if it can be fixed, which remains doubtful.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

We can look at the Conservative government and try to make sense of what they're doing and what they intend. It is possible that your end comment is right - that May is waiting out things before binding us in to something her cabinet would never choose - but there has been nothing in what she's said or done so far to suggest this is the case. If she's a secret agent she's a very good one. And the point is going to come where she's going to have to do something that splits her party, in which case, in terms of party management, she will know that the moderate wing will probably throw their hands in the air and put up with it whilst the extreme wing will walk if they don't get what they want. Or she'll do nothing until the outcome is forced upon her, which I think is more likely.

I would still bet at the moment that we'll leave without a deal. Perhaps that the EU will lose patience and say to us 'You can have this, this or nothing but no exchanges or substitutions. Choose'.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

And to add, that I meant to say - one of the issue is that whilst it is in reality slightly more complicated than this, essentially the Government control what comes before Parliament, either literally or through force of numbers. Parliament are unlikely to be in a position to make any kind of open choice, and every indication from now and history is that if push comes to shove the moderate tories will largely (with a literaly handfull of possibly more honorable exceptions) fall in behind the government.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

There is another point about timing and about extending or pausing the Article 50 notice period. There are EU Parliament elections due in June 2019, and the current EU budget runs out at the end of 2020 (so far as I can tell - I think it ends at calender year-end and not at financial year-end). One of the EU's points that has been raised in the background is that they don't want to create any kind of transition arrangement that we might try to push as an end-state. Ulitimately we are going to be in or out. If we try to pause or extend the Article 50 notice period then I think we have to take part in the EU parliament elections, and if we pause for any length of time (and also if we think we're going to have a transition that continues beyond the end of 2020, which is a slightly different issue but is also relevant) then there are going to be issues about us paying into the next EU budgetry period.

It appears more likely that they will reach a point soon where they want to wash their hands of us.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I suspect many in Brussels have long since wanted to wash their hands of the Tory party, but I like to think they are slightly better disposed towards the rest of us!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

This is from a couple of days ago, but I missed it:
When asked about the vote at a press conference yesterday, the prime minister told reporters in Downing Street: “The foreign secretary early next week will be what I would describe as the living embodiment of global Britain." (Independent)
I had two days'-worth of feeling not as depressed and despairing as I do now.

Edited to add - emphasis is mine, and I added an apperstrofe I'm not absolutely sure about
Last edited by PorFavor on Sun 24 Jun, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

On a more cheerful note I am sat in a sunny warm kitchen, with a bit of a beer buzz after the football, making macaroni cheese with leeks and bacon, and also making a strawberry and rhubarb pie.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Strawberry and rhubarb as a combination is a new one on me. Please describe the taste (if it's possible to, adequately, describe a taste).
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:Strawberry and rhubarb as a combination is a new one on me. Please describe the taste (if it's possible to, adequately, describe a taste).
I've never made or eaten it before so I'll have to tell you later. I've had strawberry and rhubarb cake - the deli/cafe in Aberdyfi always had some as one of their daily standards, a sponge cake with fruit through it - which was very nice. I think it's a bit of an American thing. What with there being stories out there about mad new versions of flu doing the rounds I've been reading The Stand again and Mother Abigail makes one to greet all of her pilgrims in that. (I think I've read or listened to an unabridged audiobook of the stand every year for about the last decade)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Strawberry and rhubarb as a combination is a new one on me. Please describe the taste (if it's possible to, adequately, describe a taste).
Lovely!
I like raspberry rhubarb best
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Durham police chief calls for legalisation of cannabis in UK

A chief constable has called for the ban on cannabis to be scrapped, arguing that it damages public safety, puts users in more danger, and gives millions of pounds to organised criminals.

Mike Barton, who leads the Durham police force, said people growing a couple of plants for personal use would not be subject to raids in his jurisdiction. Durham police are rated as outstanding in their effectiveness by the official police inspectorate. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... annabis-uk
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PorFavor wrote:

A chief constable has called for the ban on cannabis to be scrapped, arguing that it damages public safety, puts users in more danger, and gives millions of pounds to organised criminals.

Mike Barton, who leads the Durham police force, said people growing a couple of plants for personal use would not be subject to raids in his jurisdiction. Durham police are rated as outstanding in their effectiveness by the official police inspectorate. (Guardian)
Excellent ! That's one in the eye for Sajid Javid and his Boss :-)

How rare, someone who can tell the difference between classic marijuana and skunk .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

MSNBC and CNN are addictive !

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]GEuRGM4_I_g[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Excellent ! That's one in the eye for Sajid Javid and his Boss :-)

How rare, someone who can tell the difference between classic marijuana and skunk .
(cJA edit)
I'm unable finding reputable information about the difference between them and their use in the UK. Whatever it is near neighbours blaze up is like nothing I've ever smelled before in my life. It's nauseating, gives me sick headaches.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The best results I've had is to shout out the window please burn that elsewhere, please
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I have some next door neighbours who are obsessed with barbeques. I wouldn't mind if it was the heady aroma of wood chip and charcoal but as far as I can tell the only thing they seem to be burning is lighter fluid and it really stinks.

Edited to add that other than that they're very nice neighbours so I shouldn't complain really. I don't think I'd want to swap them for citizenJA's!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Oh and I think skunk is a cultivated hybrid of two of more different cannabis plants made to create a stronger variety.

But don't quote me on that, I'm not an expert or anything. Honest.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've lived years in California. The smell of marijuana was no big deal; I never had a problem with anyone smoking it. It had a sweet, herbal smell, nothing chemical. I've never encountered what's ignited here.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:I've lived years in California. The smell of marijuana was no big deal; I never had a problem with anyone smoking it. It had a sweet, herbal smell, nothing chemical. I've never encountered what's ignited here.
CitizenJA -- please show me something in England (particularly) which has not worsened after the Blair, Cameron and Maybot years ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Slash 'obscene' Home Office fees, say MPs and campaigners

Call comes as inquiry begins into charges that soared under hostile environment policy

The Home Office made profits of up to 800% on some immigration applications from families. The cost to the Home Office of processing a naturalisation application is £372.

In 2011, the fee for adult naturalisation was £700, while the registration fee for an adult has gone from £500 seven years ago to £1,206.

The cost of a settlement visa for a dependent relative has risen from £585 in 2008-09 to £3,250 in 2017-18, an increase of 450%.(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ampaigners
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So we finally had the collapse of the Tory rebels more concerned about their party than their principles.

But at least they were there, at least they made a fuss until their pitiful capitulation.

What have we heard from Labour?

Ineffectual fantasy nonsense.

I've never known feeling so dispirited with the politics of this country.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Erdoğan declared winner in Turkish presidential election

Election authority confirms Erdoğan’s victory with 97.7% of the vote counted, as opposition leaders vow to continue struggle (Guardian)
Yet more good news . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... l-election