Friday 6th July 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Friday 6th July 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning

the w/end for me starts here,though "a day off" when you have strenuously avoided work for six hours of it doesn't seem right.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=we ... &FORM=VIRE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 6th July 2018

Post by frog222 »

:-

PS The Mail has a point about business rates --

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs/the_papers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

a finger of fudge is just enough..
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Guidance
Universal Credit advances
If you don’t have enough to live on while you wait for your first payment you may be able to get an advance of your first Universal Credit payment"

updated
no robust evidence State abnegation of fundamental reciprocity....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Don't have enough to LIVE on.Seems pretty clear to me.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

"" “Already, far too many people are losing out because they can’t navigate the online system for universal credit or fill out complex forms when they’re unwell. The safeguards the government has proposed simply do not address the concern that people will slip through the net and be left without a source of income.”

A DWP spokesperson rejected the warnings, describing them as scaremongering. The spokesperson said: “The fact is we are working on the migration process to ensure claimants are fully supported during the transition, including those receiving disability benefits.” ""

After McVile's performance in parliament this week, I hope some MP's will take up the accusation of scaremongering ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:"Guidance
If you don’t have enough to live on while you wait for your first payment you may be able to get an advance of your first Universal Credit payment"

updated
"What do you mean 'you don't have enough to live on?' You're not dead yet, are you?"

Edited - typo
Last edited by PorFavor on Fri 06 Jul, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:
HindleA wrote:"Guidance

updated
"What do you mean "you don't have enough to live on?' You're not dead yet, are you?"
"You can afford this phone call though, can't you?"
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Just seen a tweet which has this link to all Hansard records of parliamentary debates.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So if you're not into football tomorrow, what better way of spedning your time>
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Nick Clegg

Verified account

@nick_clegg
Follow
Follow @nick_clegg

More
I hate to say this, but Brexiters would be right to reject PM’s plan. Dual EU/UK tariffs would create vast red tape, smugglers would boom,Parliament would be humiliated. MPs would rubber stamp goods/agri rules from Brussels - right to refuse would never be used as costs too high.

Better to put this costly, bureaucratic, unworkable proposal out of its misery ASAP. Whatever Brexit means, it can’t be this.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

frog222 wrote:
Yep, cos that nice Mr Donald was otherwise going to give us the BIGGEST BESTEST FABBEST TRADE DEAL EVER!!

(narrator's voice: he wasn't)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
frog222 wrote:
Yep, cos that nice Mr Donald was otherwise going to give us the BIGGEST BESTEST FABBEST TRADE DEAL EVER!!

(narrator's voice: he wasn't)
It's hard to see what part of "America first" they didn't understand.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Nick Clegg

Verified account

@nick_clegg
Follow
Follow @nick_clegg

More
I hate to say this, but Brexiters would be right to reject PM’s plan. Dual EU/UK tariffs would create vast red tape, smugglers would boom,Parliament would be humiliated. MPs would rubber stamp goods/agri rules from Brussels - right to refuse would never be used as costs too high.

Better to put this costly, bureaucratic, unworkable proposal out of its misery ASAP. Whatever Brexit means, it can’t be this.
Much though I despise the guy, he does have a good turn of phrase on occasion :-)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Nick Clegg

Verified account

@nick_clegg
Follow
Follow @nick_clegg

More

The latest convoluted cake & eat it proposal could be just for public consumption. I've seen some comments suggesting today is about choosing between the achievable rather than the unachievable - ie between "Canada" or "Norway" . Either the hard Brexiters will be disappointed....or the DUP. Because however incompetent May is, it's impossible that she doesn't know what the EU will accept and the one thing I suspect she really does want to achieve is a deal because a deal means a transition period and a transition period gives her the opportunity to do her favourite thing, which is put off all the hard stuff.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Crace has come early today ?

NO, it’s ... Gary Younge !

“” On the night of the Brexit referendum Michael Gove went to bed, full of red wine and smoked beef, before the results were in. He had campaigned to leave the European Union, but his main concern that night was that remain might win by anything up to 15 points. He slept soundly.

He was woken the next morning as his wife, the journalist Sarah Vine, turned on the television to see the press gathered outside their house. According to Tim Shipman in All Out War, as he came out of the shower Vine greeted him with Michael Caine’s most famous quote from The Italian Job, after one of his fellow villains blasts a van to smithereens: “You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.”

The purpose of the Brexit referendum had precious little to do with the EU; it was simply the latest in a litany of efforts to quell the decades-long psychodrama within the Conservative party.

Not only did it achieve the opposite – deepening and exacerbating the rancour within the party – it spread the infection to the country as a whole. For the past two years our government has been paralysed by an internal party feud that has held the nation’s future hostage.

“There are two kinds of European nations,” the Danish finance minister, Kristian Jensen, said last year. “There are small nations and there are countries that have not yet realised they are small nations.” Witnessing that realisation dawn on this government has been painful to watch; anticipating the consequences for generations to come has been excruciating. “”

cont

———————————————————————

1Essex 3h ago 286

Brexit: Voted for by people who want more protectionism, driven by people who want to expose the UK to the full force of global competition.

(Driven also by chancers, Gove, Johnson ...)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I heard earlier that (according to Fraser Nelson), the Conservative Party's rules only allow one leadership challenge per year. I didn't know that.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm sitting here musing over whether any cabinet member has taken a back-up mobile 'phone in to Chequers.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Any resignations yet?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]8g_GeQR8fJo[/youtube]
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:I'm sitting here musing over whether any cabinet member has taken a back-up mobile 'phone in to Chequers.
There's always semaphore, or Morse code, they've probably got an old telegraph system somewhere.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Any resignations yet?
The idea of having to walk 1 mile down to the gates at Chequers to get a cab to the station is probably giving them pause for thought...
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Fri 06 Jul, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:

[youtube]8g_GeQR8fJo[/youtube]
We all surely remember the expressions of Gove and B Johnson the morning after, not exactly triumphantly exultant were they?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Any resignations yet?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... d-new/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"No 10 warns taxis on standby for ministers who resign today over Brexit as May exerts authority"
Theresa May has warned her Cabinet ministers that they will be replaced by a “talented new generation” and quickly forgotten if they resign over Brexit.
:o
edit: what talented new generation? (unless she means Labour, but I suspect not)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

People like Gavin "shut up and go away" Williamson, presumably?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Barnier says the single market is the EU’s main economic public good.

The EU needs to find a solution to Brexit that respects the principles of the single market, he says, but also compatible with the UK’s red lines.

But the EU is ready to adapt its offer should the UK’s red lines change, he says.
Is this a hint that the EU could soften it's stance on the "Swiss" style bespoke option it has previously been reluctant to consider? We'll only find out, of course if we jettison our own red line of not wanting to be part of the single market. Which needs to happen now if we are to have time to explore the options.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:

The EU needs to find a solution to Brexit that respects the principles of the single market, he says, but also compatible with the UK’s red lines.

But the EU is ready to adapt its offer should the UK’s red lines change, he says.
Is this a hint that the EU could soften it's stance on the "Swiss" style bespoke option it has previously been reluctant to consider? We'll only find out, of course if we jettison our own red line of not wanting to be part of the single market. Which needs to happen now if we are to have time to explore the options.
I thought his final reported comment...
Barnier says in current circumstances it is becoming even more important to strengthen the single market. It is the foundation of EU unity, he says.
... was a strong suggestion that there is no chance at all of anything dividing up the four free movement principles.
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Otto English

@Otto_English
Following
Following @Otto_English

More
Libertarians: free speech now! Screw the snowflakes. You can't do anything nowadays without offending anyone.. end PC... I don't CARE about your feelings. Go to your safe spaces you Remoaning cucks!

Bloke makes Donald Trump balloon.

Libertarians: How dare they! It's rude!!
Spot. On.

And it's triggered Farage - off all people complaining about offending others! - so all good.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/ ... y-damp-rag
Ukip MEP Nigel Farage told Herman Van Rompuy, the president of the EU, he had "all the charisma of a damp rag and the appearance of a low-grade bank clerk" in the European parliament yesterday.
Advertisement

Farage, the former leader of the UK Independence party, also dismissed Van Rompuy's homeland, Belgium, as a "non-country".
...this is different I guess.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

I thought his final reported comment...
Barnier says in current circumstances it is becoming even more important to strengthen the single market. It is the foundation of EU unity, he says.
... was a strong suggestion that there is no chance at all of anything dividing up the four free movement principles.
As Switzerland has had to accept the free movement of people to participate in the single market, it's kind of a given that we would have to too. That this would ever have been in doubt is unfathomable to me. Freedom of movement is what makes it a single market. Saying you don't want to accept freedom of movement is like saying we'll only participate in the single market if it's no longer a single market. It's just nonsense. And if you don't want to be in the single market, then all you can aspire to is a comprehensive trade deal like Canada. There just isn't anything else. And this is what our government has to come to terms with today if we're to get a withdrawal agreement and transition period.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

One of the outcomes of having a target culture...
Nick Linford
‏@NickLinford
5h
5 hours ago

More
One of those wtf moments on receipt of an @educationgovuk email following an @FEWeek FOI. They don't know which of their apprentices were already civil servants : https://feweek.co.uk/2018/07/06/incredi ... -servants/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... dApp_Tweet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK worker productivity falls
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

"" A majority in the Cabinet and in the Commons has now firmly resolved that it will not be party to an act of gross economic self-harm. That means Britain is ineluctably being drawn towards a form of EEA and customs union membership. Some leading Brexiteers, such as Dan Hannan, are openly talking about it; in private, there is at least one Brexiteer Cabinet member thinking of breaking ranks and proposing it. For it is clearly now the best option for both the country and the Conservative Party, as this paper has consistently advised. The irony is that this is the one course Mrs May has set herself against. How long will this latest fruitless act of opposition last? She may get her way at the summit today but once the Cabinet get their phones back, they will realise that there is a real world beyond the parched gardens of Chequers. ""

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comm ... 81046.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who's breaking ranks then ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

*Dan Hannan* has converted to "realism"??

Bleedin' 'eck.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

That's the Dan Hannan who said on camera that there was no question of us leaving the single market & customs union or another one?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.eureferendum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Brexit: lost souls"
When I used to work with Owen Paterson as his confidential political advisor – which I did for well over a decade, until just after the EU referendum – part of my job was to talk him down from some of the more stupid positions he would occasionally adopt.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Some may say eating eight chocolate bars in a row is a bit over the top but they were melting I really had no choice.Now on to the six 150g packets of Tyrrell's crisps..
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinybgoat wrote:http://www.eureferendum.com
"Brexit: lost souls"
When I used to work with Owen Paterson as his confidential political advisor – which I did for well over a decade, until just after the EU referendum – part of my job was to talk him down from some of the more stupid positions he would occasionally adopt.
TBG -- fascinating detail , after that beginning !

""Sometimes I had to get quite stroppy, as when we were preparing this speech on his "optimistic vision of a post-EU United Kingdom", which he delivered to Business for Britain on 24 November 2014.

After I'd written the first draft. Owen – unbeknown to me – gave it to Dan Hannan to "improve". He produced a draft so riddled with factual errors that I refused to have anything to do with it, threatening to resign if he went ahead with it. Only later did I find out that Hannan had been responsible for the new draft but, at the time, I warned Owen that his reputation would suffer irreparable damage if he went ahead with it.

That time round, Owen relented and almost all of Hannan's input was removed. As a result, I think we produced a pretty good speech, one which advanced the idea that we should "grasp the opportunity" to leave the EU and its "current political arrangements". But this we would do, "while keeping our vital position in the single market".

He really is all over the place !
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Some may say eating eight chocolate bars in a row is a bit over the top but they were melting I really had no choice.Now on to the six 150g packets of Tyrrell's crisps..
Do crisps melt in the heat? Perhaps it's peculiar to to the Tyrell's brand.

(Hint, for future reference, re your chocolate: put it in the 'frig'. Just a suggestion . . .)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]6Whgn_iE5uc[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bought in shop,melting on way home,I may be using the term melt "loosely"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Put it this way it was so hot they unwrapped themselves.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I'm very much if I have one i'll.polish off the whole box,tin,warehouse,type.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

frog222 wrote:"" A majority in the Cabinet and in the Commons has now firmly resolved that it will not be party to an act of gross economic self-harm. That means Britain is ineluctably being drawn towards a form of EEA and customs union membership. Some leading Brexiteers, such as Dan Hannan, are openly talking about it; in private, there is at least one Brexiteer Cabinet member thinking of breaking ranks and proposing it. For it is clearly now the best option for both the country and the Conservative Party, as this paper has consistently advised. The irony is that this is the one course Mrs May has set herself against. How long will this latest fruitless act of opposition last? She may get her way at the summit today but once the Cabinet get their phones back, they will realise that there is a real world beyond the parched gardens of Chequers. ""

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comm ... 81046.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who's breaking ranks then ?
Fox?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

[youtube]jofNR_WkoCE[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]uIR8RtI9kaw[/youtube]