Friday 6th July 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 6th July 2018

Post by HindleA »

Well well
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Worth a read !

the-guardian-view-on-the-cabinet-brexiters-vacuous-dreary-and-incapable-of-responsibility

“” The Brexiters created the mess and the burden with which Mrs May has to wrestle. But it is never, ever, their fault. Nothing ever is. It is only, ever, Mrs May’s fault – or someone else’s fault: the civil service, the judges, business leaders, the Irish, the liberal elites or Brussels.

Before the Brexit vote and since, the Brexiters have never put forward a detailed plan of their own.

They did not do so this week. They spent 12 hours at Chequers not doing it. They won’t do it next week either. They don’t do plans. They only do fantasy. They spun a fantasy of takeover by Brussels; now they spin a fantasy of liberation from it. They have held our country, its politics, its press and its shared life hostage to their lazy second-rate dreariness for too long. It is time to take the fight to them. “”

cont

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... onsibility" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Well
The fox (in the song).

Edited to add -

You've added a "well". You can't get anything past me . . .
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Some cracking saves
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Some cracking goals.

Win or lose, Brazil are always a joy to watch. A hard team to beat.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

And now all-European semi-finals.

Has that ever happened before?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yes but in 1934 as an example only four non European teams,were in it.See Adam below
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 07 Jul, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Theresa May secures approval from cabinet to negotiate soft Brexit

PM proposes creation of ‘UK-EU free trade area’ and matching food standards (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... oft-brexit
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Three local council byelections yesterday:

Bath/North East Somerset - LibDem gain from Tory in a ward that split 1LD/1C in 2015 after returning 2 LibDems in all previous elections since 1999 (though Tories were at times close behind) A double figure increase to over 40% was easily enough to return this division to all-yellow status, and not only did the Tories lose their seat a swing of over 9 per cent was enough to dump them into third place behind Labour - who had a double figure increase of their own to almost a quarter of the vote, and a move from 4th last time to 2nd now. Greens top runner finished ahead of the bottom placed Tory three years ago, but they dropped by 10 points themselves to a (still fairly respectable) 13% and the wooden spoon position.

Lichfield DC - Labour gain from Tory with over 60 per cent of the vote, not far off double what they got in 2015. A result as striking as this often has some local input - and that appears to be the case here, with some very unpopular planning decisions by the Tory-run council featuring prominently - but this is still a very notable results for the reds in an area where their regression has been notable in recent years (in the predecessor ward here as elsewhere, Labour won it in 2003 but lost it four years later, and the Tories have retained all the seats since though it has at least remained marginal) UKIP came a good third here last time with a quarter of the vote, and it is telling that despite their absence now the Tory vote was clearly down on three years ago. LibDems tried their luck now after sitting the last election out, but got less than 7%.

Shropshire - Tory hold in a normally safe division, but their normally strong grip here (easy wins in every election since the first unitary level poll in 2009) was seriously eroded as their share dropped by nearly 20 points to less than 40%, and they were actually outpolled by two Independent candidates - who, however, managed to split their votes almost equally (despite them actually being of rather different political outlooks - one was the UKIP candidate here in 2013, when they were actually the sole Tory opponent, and then the runner up in 2017 with around 30%; the other had stood for Labour in 2009 and came last in their most recent "official" outing in this ward) LibDems were not far behind them on nearly 18% which was a healthy increase on last year, despite their last place being retained.

Next week is a busy one - ten contests.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://brexitcentral.com/theresa-may-s ... ative-mps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"How Theresa May is selling the Chequers proposal to Conservative MPs"
During the EU referendum campaign collective responsibility on EU policy was temporarily suspended. As we developed our policy on Brexit I have allowed cabinet colleagues to express their individual views. Agreement on this proposal marks the point where that is no longer the case and collective responsibility is now fully restored.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

So we're back from the brink?

Hard Brexit off the agenda?

Grudging congratulations to Mrs May?

I know it's a massive fudge and probably won't work as a deal, but nevertheless I'm pleased. A corner turned I hope...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:So we're back from the brink?

I know it's a massive fudge and probably won't work as a deal, but nevertheless I'm pleased. A corner turned I hope...
I suppose it's a step in the right direction. Haven't yet seen any reported "tweets" from the injured parties (perhaps they forgot to reclaim their mobile 'phones). I hope Boris Johnson et al have retired hurt. How long for do you reckon? If they "come quietly" it makes them look (even more) unprincipled than ever. After all, they were more or less claiming to be mini-messiahs. Or am I being perverse?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:So we're back from the brink?

I suppose it's a step in the right direction. Haven't yet seen any reported "tweets" from the injured parties (perhaps they forgot to reclaim their mobile 'phones). I hope Boris Johnson et al have retired hurt. How long for do you reckon? If they "come quietly" it makes them look (even more) unprincipled than ever. After all, they were more or less claiming to be mini-messiahs. Or am I being perverse?
I agree it's all gone mercifully quiet!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

This Tweet didn't go terribly well for Nick Robinson!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:And now all-European semi-finals.

Has that ever happened before?
2006 - Germany -v- Italy and Portugal -v- France
1982 - Poland -v- Italy and West Germany -v- France
1966 West Germany -v- USSR and England -v- Portugal
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

We're calling the EU's bluff, aren't we? 'We know you've said that we can't pick and choose but after a fight to the death we've agreed to choose this and this but ignore that and that. Most of the practical stuff is like the earlier plans you rejected as unworkable. And even this seems to be hated by our hardliners. Please be nice to us.'
I still believe in a town called Hope