Wednesday 11th July 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 11th July 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 11th July 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... sal-credit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Church leaders and food banks have called for an overhaul of universal credit to halt a surge in vulnerable claimants being pushed into destitution, hunger and debt when they move on to the benefit.

Made vulnerable,may be pedantic but lets them off the hook misdirects to the characteristics of claimants rather than the purposeful neglect of the fundamentals by the State.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Opposition Day debate on McVey's handling of UC

https://calendar.parliament.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Absolute no one is immune from the vagaries of life eg several months,at best that extra costs allowances kick in,costs of course that start from day one.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Realise why the "vulnerable" line but not useful in the othering/couldn't happen to me.It could within a nanosecond.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

So whose resignation are we to see today I wonder?

Given Suella Braverman's links with the ERG I wondered whether the "did she resign or not?" confusion was a tactical move so that she could resign at a later date.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Queen resigns
exclaiming
"Fuck this for a game of soldiers"
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Given Suella Braverman's links with the ERG I wondered whether the "did she resign or not?" confusion was a tactical move so that she could resign at a later date.
If they're playing games - as has been suggested - then you might expect a resignation to come quite soon before PMQs
I still believe in a town called Hope
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" Why are they always failed artists ?"

Some light relief, and it still makes me laugh :-)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]3pbTmXsfiYk[/youtube]
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

adam wrote:

If they're playing games - as has been suggested - then you might expect a resignation to come quite soon before PMQs
Kuenssberg-watching ...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.carersuk.org/news-and-campa ... urvey-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

State of Caring Survey 2018 results.

Certainly with the targeted reduction as fairness enacted since,a lessening in quality of life,whether you think applying to an obvious shorter life is indeed "fairer" not for me to say,suffice to say no one actually gains,certainly not those who find themselves in the same situation who may think so.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sod it.I resign.Don't know what from yet..
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Constance the Cat Appreciation Society."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

An obvious trying to be PM move.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Following on from something I posted last night - on what might happen as generally pro-May tory MPs spend time with their constituents and hear what they have to say about all of this, there is this from Today's Telegraph...

Is Theresa May guilty of treason? Plenty of readers think so. Politicians would be wise to listen up (paywalled - you can see one article in full a week if you sign up for free)
Not since the summer of the MPs’ expenses scandal in 2009 has such an angry invasion force taken the Letters page by storm. For anger has indeed been their main propellant. The anger arose mainly from a feeling of betrayal: that in the referendum the majority had voted for Brexit, but the Chequers plan did not add up to Brexit.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Meanwhile...
Sun Politics

Verified account

@SunPolitics
Follow
Follow @SunPolitics

More
Ministers draw up secret plans to stockpile processed food in case of a ‘no deal’ Brexit
And I have a very grumpy Blue Labour Leave supporter on my timeline asking Remain supporters where their plan was.

A Leave plan? Not relevant. Remain didn't have a plan apart from "as you were" which was kinda the point...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

frog222 wrote:
adam wrote:

Kuenssberg-watching ...
Stephen Doughty - who he?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -of-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FOI release

Potential impact of Brexit
Request for information regarding the potential impact of Brexit
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

adam wrote:Following on from something I posted last night - on what might happen as generally pro-May tory MPs spend time with their constituents and hear what they have to say about all of this, there is this from Today's Telegraph...

Is Theresa May guilty of treason? Plenty of readers think so. Politicians would be wise to listen up (paywalled - you can see one article in full a week if you sign up for free)
Not since the summer of the MPs’ expenses scandal in 2009 has such an angry invasion force taken the Letters page by storm. For anger has indeed been their main propellant. The anger arose mainly from a feeling of betrayal: that in the referendum the majority had voted for Brexit, but the Chequers plan did not add up to Brexit.
Though these days the Barclaygraph readership is probably less representative than ever, many of the more "sensible" types having jumped ship.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

I have thoroughly enjoyed Emily Thornberry at the despatch box today. Exposing the nonsense for what it is.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

GetYou wrote:I have thoroughly enjoyed Emily Thornberry at the despatch box today. Exposing the nonsense for what it is.
She usually does well at PMQs.

(you can tell just how well by how often Twitter trolls feel the need to call her "Lady Nugee" in response)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Afternoon all - long meeting at school with our LA advisor complete...

Why has the NHS not been copied? (Spoiler: it has)

https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/news-i ... ler-it-has
This makes the argument that the NHS should switch to social insurance because these countries have better outcomes even more questionable. In fact, the link between how a health system is funded and the results it gets is unclear, but it is not possible to claim that one is superior to the other.

The NHS does get some mediocre and sometimes poor outcomes, but the reasons are much more complex than the choice of funding mechanism.
This last but is the most important since there are a number of articles from the usual suspects* which have the premises of "Look at our poor outcomes. This means we should change the funding model."

* mostly with very opaque funding...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Bit quiet again, I suppose most of us are just waiting for you know what to start?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Bit quiet again, I suppose most of us are just waiting for you know what to start?
Waiting for what to start?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I do believe there is a game of Association Football just under way, M'Lud.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Crace -- https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... y-play-off" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did watch substitute PMQ's on parliament tv, and agree with Sparrow that she got the customs checks wrong ... but nobody much cared !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Have found Five Live on Medium Wave for the second half :-)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

It's all gotten too much for my other half.

He's gone out to water the garden.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Our garden isn't big enough to last through extra time.

He's just going to have to suffer a little longer.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well this is good news...

Revealed: Charity watchdog probes pro-Brexit anti-NHS think tank

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/brexit ... think-tank
The Charity Commission is examining whether the Institute of Economic Affairs has breached charity regulations on political independence, openDemocracy can reveal. The watchdog is looking at the free market think tank after concerns were brought to the commission’s attention.

The IEA is one of the UK’s most influential think tanks. IEA representatives regularly appear on the media, advocating everything from privatising the NHS to a hard Brexit, and it has strong links with a number of Conservative ministers, including new Brexit secretary Dominic Raab and health minister Matt Hancock.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Well this is good news...

Revealed: Charity watchdog probes pro-Brexit anti-NHS think tank

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/brexit ... think-tank
The Charity Commission is examining whether the Institute of Economic Affairs has breached charity regulations on political independence, openDemocracy can reveal. The watchdog is looking at the free market think tank after concerns were brought to the commission’s attention.

The IEA is one of the UK’s most influential think tanks. IEA representatives regularly appear on the media, advocating everything from privatising the NHS to a hard Brexit, and it has strong links with a number of Conservative ministers, including new Brexit secretary Dominic Raab and health minister Matt Hancock.
Good !

Long about time ...
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Pickford saves, but now for a corner ........................
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

If only I had a garden
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Football not coming home, then?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:If only I had a garden
One of the disadvantages of living in very rural Normandy is that you're welcome to 1000m2 of mine :-)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

glumtastic
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

David Davis

@David_Davis_UK
Follow
Follow @David_Davis_UK

More
Rest assured, if the worst does happen in the football, I shall negotiate a bespoke deal with FIFA giving us the exact same advantages as winning the world cup.
:D
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

The latest opinion from Fox (good for a laugh until you stop to think that the country is in hands like his):
Liam Fox has issued an extraordinary warning to EU leaders that they risk being kicked out by their own voters if they reject Theresa May’s new Brexit plan.
On who should make the decision, he added: “It needs to be the actual countries with elected governments – that need to get prosperity and jobs and trade if those politicians want to get re-elected.”
Can anybody enlighten me as to which EU countries don't have elected governments?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 42501.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Two things.

As a Scot may I just say Yeeeeeeeeeesssss.

And secondly I, for my sins, watched the debate this afternoon about sanctioning McVile. And what struck me more than anything else was the utter blinkered fuck all the evidence attitude of the tories. All they seemed to care about was playing the victim as in 'nasty Labour making it personal' rather than confronting the evidence of the genuine victims of their policies. Apparently the NAO, The Trussel Trust and housing associations were all scaremongering and could be countered by blathering on about 'making work pay' and other such bollocks cliches. They paid absolutely no heed whatsoever to some obviously heartfelt contributions from the opposition, the best being offered by the SNP, and only reacted positively to useless arselickers like Frank Field. It was a depressing affair all round, both in the individual cases raised and the couldn't give a fuck we're the real victims here behaviour of the tories.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

At least Kane will be fresh for the third place play off after being rested tonight.

(Too soon?)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Eric_WLothian wrote:The latest opinion from Fox (good for a laugh until you stop to think that the country is in hands like his):
Liam Fox has issued an extraordinary warning to EU leaders that they risk being kicked out by their own voters if they reject Theresa May’s new Brexit plan.
On who should make the decision, he added: “It needs to be the actual countries with elected governments – that need to get prosperity and jobs and trade if those politicians want to get re-elected.”
Can anybody enlighten me as to which EU countries don't have elected governments?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 42501.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think we can expect to hear a fair bit more of this kind of thing - claiming that the commission do not represent the views of the countries and trying to appeal over its head. One more last fling of desperate, worthless idiots.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Brexit is fucked up. England are out of the world cup.

I have a nice bottle of French Claret.

Happy :)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

The EU will reject anything that tries to compromise the four freedoms.

It's as simple as that.

No matter how much we'd like to get behind any soft option the EU has rules.

May's plans are nonsense.