Monday 16th July 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 16th July 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 16th July 2018

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... e-greening" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Justine Greening shows support for second Brexit referendum
Former education secretary calls Theresa May’s Chequers plan ‘a fudge I can’t support’
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Why Boaty McBoatface had to be torpedoed
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tenborough" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jo Johnson, the then minister for universities and science who overruled the Boaty McBoatface vote,
David Mitchell on the exact point I woke up thinking this morning. The will of the people was that Boaty McBoatface would be called Boaty McBoatface, but a member of our artistocratic Johnson family decided the will of the people was wrong on this occasion so didn't matter. As Mitchell summarises:
Sometimes someone has to step in to stop something crazy happening – something terrible that does lasting damage. But only if it’s a really important issue, like a boat being given a silly name.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(Hello!)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... uality-act" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

(Sweet & Sour Chicken with egg fried rice,five doughnuts for breakfast)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Jo Johnson was originally called Twatty McTwatface
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

(!)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

(())
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I am very partial to doughnuts myself
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

There were free ones at the NY Marathon I may have had a few to the extent of feeling sick,suffice to say it was pitch dark when I finished in Central Park.It was November.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Goes though the five boroughs,which are?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scie ... 44811.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Acknowledging the personal ambition and ideology that cloud the political debate, he says a scientific approach would not go amiss because “thinking scientifically is the opposite of thinking ideologically”.
Yes, I've never met a scientist with any personal ambition at all.

I wonder if Professor Cox has read much on the sociology of science.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:Goes though the five boroughs,which are?
uhm...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

You know them,starts on a bridge-Staten Island,Brooklyn,Queens,The Bronx,Manhattan.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Six doughnuts,I was saving it for later.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Impressive!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:You know them,starts on a bridge-Staten Island,Brooklyn,Queens,The Bronx,Manhattan.
Yeah - was just testing ....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not really,you just open your mouth and stuff them in.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Had five jammie dodgers whilst waiting but that doesn't count.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Why Boaty McBoatface had to be torpedoed
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tenborough" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jo Johnson, the then minister for universities and science who overruled the Boaty McBoatface vote,
David Mitchell on the exact point I woke up thinking this morning. The will of the people was that Boaty McBoatface would be called Boaty McBoatface, but a member of our artistocratic Johnson family decided the will of the people was wrong on this occasion so didn't matter. As Mitchell summarises:
Sometimes someone has to step in to stop something crazy happening – something terrible that does lasting damage. But only if it’s a really important issue, like a boat being given a silly name.
I was astonished that some of my interweb mates liked that atrocity of a name .

About as suitable as calling a newborn child "DeepFriedMarsBar" :-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scie ... 44811.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Acknowledging the personal ambition and ideology that cloud the political debate, he says a scientific approach would not go amiss because “thinking scientifically is the opposite of thinking ideologically”.
Yes, I've never met a scientist with any personal ambition at all.

I wonder if Professor Cox has read much on the sociology of science.
TC2 -- shall we start Professor Cox's reading with Thomas Kuhn's "Structure of Scientific Revolutions" ?

On differences of analysis between scientists, Tizard and Lindemann is a classic --

/massacre-by-miscalculation-britains-targeting-of-german-cities-was-not-only-immoral-but-a-waste-of-

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ma ... 82396.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

DeepFriedMarsBar McBoatFace, born with a greasy spoon is his mouth & a bounty on his head.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AS an alternative to that Forrin Word,

I give you — The Enemy Within

“” “In 2017, Labour Party officials became so good at targeting Facebook ads, they were able to deceive Jeremy Corbyn about the kind of campaign they were running,” wrote Mr Baldwin, the author of Ctrl Alt Delete: How Politics and the Media Crashed Our Democracy, in the Sunday Times.

“When they were told to pay for nationwide ads they regarded as madcap, such as one on voter registration, they made sure that few saw such messages except a tiny slice of left-wing activists.”

“Before the 2017 election, I remember rebutting endless stories that could only have come from selective leaking by HQ, so this latest revelation is no surprise,” Matt Zarb-Cousin, Jeremy Corbyn’s former spokesman, told The Independent
.””

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 48036.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That particular example seems so nutty that it’s difficult to believe, but never underestimate the Power of Stupidity !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Prohibitive’ £3,655 fee for medicinal cannabis licences under review amid protests from campaigners

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 48361.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one was new to me, needs follow-up :

UK Drugs Minister opposes cannabis law reform while her husband profits from a license to grow it

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... row/15/02/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinybgoat wrote:DeepFriedMarsBar McBoatFace, born with a greasy spoon is his mouth & a bounty on his head.
:lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I have a token for five free doughnuts.
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:AS an alternative to that Forrin Word,

I give you — The Enemy Within

“” “In 2017, Labour Party officials became so good at targeting Facebook ads, they were able to deceive Jeremy Corbyn about the kind of campaign they were running,” wrote Mr Baldwin, the author of Ctrl Alt Delete: How Politics and the Media Crashed Our Democracy, in the Sunday Times.

“When they were told to pay for nationwide ads they regarded as madcap, such as one on voter registration, they made sure that few saw such messages except a tiny slice of left-wing activists.”

“Before the 2017 election, I remember rebutting endless stories that could only have come from selective leaking by HQ, so this latest revelation is no surprise,” Matt Zarb-Cousin, Jeremy Corbyn’s former spokesman, told The Independent
.””

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 48036.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That particular example seems so nutty that it’s difficult to believe, but never underestimate the Power of Stupidity !
I don't understand the ploy. I'm stumbling on voter registration promotion regarded as madcap campaign expenditure
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:I have a token for five free doughnuts.
I thought of asking you for one but it's not really doughnut weather
I lack an appetite for anything but water and other modest thirst quenchers
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

frog222 wrote:---
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... row/15/02/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“[Tory MP for Louth & Horncastle Victoria Atkins] married to Paul Kenward, managing director of British Sugar which is growing 45 acres of cannabis under licence in its mammoth Norfolk greenhouse. Mr Kenward is producing high CBD cannabis for use in Epidiolex, GW Pharma’s cannabis extract epilepsy medicine.

Ms Atkins has tried to brush this off calling it “…a very different substance (from the) psychoactive version of cannabis.”
---
([Tory] MP for Louth and Horncastle Victoria Atkins did not respond to our request for comment.)
"Like any efficient—I hesitate to use that word—business model, criminals diversify. They pad out the product as much as they can to try to increase their profits."

- Victoria Atkins
18th July 2017
Drugs Policy - Points of Order – in the House of Commons

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/ ... -18b.750.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
don't they just, babe
you're a piece of satire
I hesitate calling you anything else
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Good comment BTL in the graun
The conservatives have a Militant Tendancy problem, but they don't have a Kinnock to stand up to it.
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all. And the next one please...
DG News
‏@DiX215
5m
5 minutes ago

More
Breaking : PPS Scott Mann has resigned from the government over the #Chequers deal. The second PPS to go in 24hrs an am told the first of THREE resignations today. #Brexit
"But...but...how many did Corbyn lose again???"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

coalition of chaos, Dave Cameron
good at being the worst
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Enjoy yourselves, late for the beach with the froglings :-)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

More
First, the EU conversation has stayed largely where it has always been, as one for the London political classes. Some might now be seeing the phenomenal complexity of leaving the EU, but to many the story as reflected through the mass media is just EU obstructiveness as usual 2/

3 replies 15 retweets 47 likes
Reply 3 Retweet 15 Like 47 Direct message

David Henig

@DavidHenigUK
4h4 hours ago
More
This Brexit political debate is dominated by half truth. Soft Brexiteers with a few exceptions don't admit they actually don't want to leave the EU. Many hard Brexiteers want to leave at all costs and similarly won't admit that, so claim the costs will be limited 3/

1 reply 26 retweets 66 likes
Reply 1 Retweet 26 Like 66 Direct message

David Henig

@DavidHenigUK
4h4 hours ago
More
Both sides have continued from the referendum in seeing the UK as equal to the EU, like we can have whatever we want. The group in the middle who always wanted to leave to join the EEA, were at least mostly honest in seeking a compromise approach 4/

2 replies 13 retweets 51 likes
Reply 2 Retweet 13 Like 51 Direct message

David Henig

@DavidHenigUK
3h3 hours ago
More
There have been many outstanding reports about Brexit in the media, but the dominant media narrative has been one of clashing personalities, each equipped with their own facts, rather than trying to help establish a single truth 5/

1 reply 17 retweets 50 likes
Reply 1 Retweet 17 Like 50 Direct message

David Henig

@DavidHenigUK
3h3 hours ago
More
In the midst of it all a conservative government and media has somehow turned business, promised early certainty, into the enemy within. They don't want to speak up, but wouldn't we want to know if say every car maker in the UK had plans to leave in the next 10 years? 6/

2 replies 16 retweets 56 likes
Reply 2 Retweet 16 Like 56 Direct message

David Henig

@DavidHenigUK
3h3 hours ago
More
Throughout all this we have a PM who seems incapable of providing leadership to build consensus, but has rather encouraged the secret style of government she made to work at Home Office. It can't work in a complex negotiation like this 7/

3 replies 13 retweets 66 likes
Reply 3 Retweet 13 Like 66 Direct message

David Henig

@DavidHenigUK
3h3 hours ago
More
Against this backdrop it's hard to see a referendum helping do anything other than divide further. First we'd need some honesty and leadership about the real choices, which is unlikely to come from the PM or the leader of the opposition 8/

4 replies 19 retweets 73 likes
Reply 4 Retweet 19 Like 73 Direct message

David Henig

@DavidHenigUK
3h3 hours ago
More
The choice remains, full political freedom with borders and likely economic hit, a member of the EU, which we know about, and a Norway style relationship where we are outside political framework but in the economic one. We can't have a referendum until we have this debate 9/ ends

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

“” Steve Bannon, Trump’s former adviser, told Nigel Farage on LBC radio Sunday: “You’re going to have to fight to take your country back, every day. Whether it’s Italy, France, England, or the United States. If we quit, they’re going to be in control.”

Theo Usherwood, LBC’s political editor, said: “That sounds like a call to arms.” To which Bannon replied, “Absolutely. This is war.” ”

Next, find the Farridge quote on “picking up your rifle and heading for the streets”

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/euro ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No a bit later for the beach, bifn.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The most amazing thing regarding that revelation about Labour's GE campaign is that some of the "sensible" tendency STILL think that was a totally reasonable position :wall:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Dearie me...
Nadine Dorries

Verified account

@NadineDorries
Follow
Follow @NadineDorries

More
The #Chequers deal has disenfranchised voters. People telling me at the weekend that it was ‘last straw’ and if a charismatic figure stood heading a new party, they would vote for him/her. Sounds like we could be heading for our very own Trump/Macron/Robinson.
9:31 AM - 16 Jul 2018
What a loon.

If someone came forward and suggested a New Party, I think we could see where that might go...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Our own Robinson, eh? Pardon me, but isn't Yaxley-Lennon already "ours"?? Even if we wish he wasn't.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Hang on. Didn't Donald Trump stand as a Republican? That extremely old and established party with the big loyal base? How is that an example of new party success? :)
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

People, its Nadine Dorries :D
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Our own Robinson, eh? Pardon me, but isn't Yaxley-Lennon already "ours"?? Even if we wish he wasn't.
Well there was some doubt as to which Robinson she meant - I've seen Anne, Robert, Tony, Jason amongst others as alternatives.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

norman smith
@BBCNormanS
Am hearing the Govt cd accept all the Brexiteer / ERG amendments to the Customs Bill
8:17 am · 16 Jul 2018
So will these be real concessions or just pretend ones like the pro-remain rebels won?

And will the pro-remain rebels support Labour's customs union amendments in retaliation as May warned at Chequers?

And how do the ERG lot propose to get around December's Irish Border backstop agreement?

We're just going round in circles at this point with no way to square it.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Our own Robinson, eh? Pardon me, but isn't Yaxley-Lennon already "ours"?? Even if we wish he wasn't.
Well there was some doubt as to which Robinson she meant - I've seen Anne, Robert, Tony, Jason amongst others as alternatives.
Mary Robinson makes the most sense in a Macron/new party/independent candidate kind of way but that makes the inclusion of Trump, who notably failed with the Reform Party in 2000, even more incongruous - so possibly not!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Deceased for a while I believe.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Justine Greening is getting a lot of airtime on Daily Politics today.

If nothing else, she's doing a good job of getting across how serious & complex Brexit is. After months of David Davis' faux "Dr Hibbert" chuckle, it's a welcome change of tone.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ithout-pay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Urgh,the "wonderful",you equally gain not all experience,however what a sensible Government shouldn't do is actively penalise,make existing and potential harder and present as selfish,otherwise.I still have McVey's in essence "we value carers,you are being unfair and must "pay back" and impossible options to avoid reductions.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I suspect if it was 49.99% male, many will still plough it as a "woman's issue".I don't find that useful.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Q.What did you give up?
A.What are you missing?