Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th July 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th July 2018

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th July 2018

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Not bad for (from her own admission) about 2hrs work per month.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Yes, I fear Jess Phillips has gone over to the dark side:

[youtube]fMQLSkM1_sU[/youtube]
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

No confidence vote in Frank Field passed by Birkenhead CLP with a big majority last night (though not unanimously in this case)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I love rain.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

As for Jess Phillips, its now pretty obvious she desires some crappy media career far more than actually being an MP - maybe we should help her on her way??
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Social media giants must be responsible for content to halt democratic 'crisis' caused by fake news, MPs say
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 67441.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well actually, governments should be responsible for educating their citizens.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Daniel Hannan, the Tory MEP who is often described as the “godfather of Brexit” repeatedly assured voters that Britain would not leave the single market if they voted to leave the EU.

“Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the single market,” he said.

Owen Paterson, a Tory MP and a prominent campaigner for Vote Leave made similar claims.

“Only a madman would actually leave the market,” Mr Paterson said.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... question-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Social media giants must be responsible for content to halt democratic 'crisis' caused by fake news, MPs say
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 67441.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know.

We do expect our newspapers to only print facts that are true. (And to not confuse factual reporting with opinion, although this is being constantly undermined in recent times).

Perhaps social media hosts should also be expected to take responsibility for the veracity of facts contained in paid for content in a similar fashion?

We're not talking about things posted without, say, Facebook's knowledge. There is an audit trail for political campaign advertising on social media and hence Facebook were able to provide the DCMS committee with the ads paid for by the leave campaign. They knew exactly what they were hosting. We're not talking about user posts for which the individual poster is ultimately responsible for. At the very least, perhaps such paid content should be marked as such, in the way newspapers have to mark promotional pieces as "advertising features". And then schools can back that up be teaching kids that paid for advertising features are likely to be biased and only give one side of an issue, story or product and thus they need to do some independent research before coming to their own conclusion.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Daniel Hannan, the Tory MEP who is often described as the “godfather of Brexit” repeatedly assured voters that Britain would not leave the single market if they voted to leave the EU.

“Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the single market,” he said.

Owen Paterson, a Tory MP and a prominent campaigner for Vote Leave made similar claims.

“Only a madman would actually leave the market,” Mr Paterson said.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... question-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sadly, I think Daniel Hannan actually meant it. If he really is the "godfather of Brexit" then I think his project has been hijacked - by Russian oligarchs, Tory & Ukip spivs, hedge fund managers and shady American billionaires.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
I don't know.

We do expect our newspapers to only print facts that are true. (And to not confuse factual reporting with opinion, although this is being constantly undermined in recent times).

Perhaps social media hosts should also be expected to take responsibility for the veracity of facts contained in paid for content in a similar fashion?

We're not talking about things posted without, say, Facebook's knowledge. There is an audit trail for political campaign advertising on social media and hence Facebook were able to provide the DCMS committee with the ads paid for by the leave campaign. They knew exactly what they were hosting. We're not talking about user posts for which the individual poster is ultimately responsible for. At the very least, perhaps such paid content should be marked as such, in the way newspapers have to mark promotional pieces as "advertising features". And then schools can back that up be teaching kids that paid for advertising features are likely to be biased and only give one side of an issue, story or product and thus they need to do some independent research before coming to their own conclusion.

I think that yours and tinyclanger2's views go hand in hand.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

That is a bit too kind to Hannan IMO - he is one of those with the habit of saying whatever might be most convenient at that particular moment.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/ ... n#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Certainly this Government has been particularly educational in terms of depravity,misanthropy,bearing false witness,compulsive lying and misinformation.Can't really fault them,to be fair.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:That is a bit too kind to Hannan IMO - he is one of those with the habit of saying whatever might be most convenient at that particular moment.
Maybe, but I don't remember him ever saying anything other than we should/could stay in the single market either before or after the referendum, although I could well have missed it if he did. I don't exactly hang on his every word!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/g ... education/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Global Disability Summit: Anger over Mordaunt’s bid to redefine inclusive education

SegreTories
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sometimes blatant,mostly overwhelmingly targeted but "unintended consequences"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
hey y'all
lovely breeze and not hot
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:I love rain.
I do too
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Yes. It's government's responsibly legislating for the highest good for all people and nation. If government isn't capable of this, they need to go and let better leadership do the job.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]ho9rZjlsyYY[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:I think that yours and tinyclanger2's views go hand in hand.
So do I
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

We elect them with many not bothering,incumbent on citizens to educate themselves and rail at easy fit categorisations and solutions IMHO.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Ever more incumbent,I should add.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Does anyone know anything about pharmacy funding cuts? Like those mentioned in this article:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 60986.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's just that there have been several letters in the local paper the last two weeks about the Lloyds Pharmacy chain being understaffed with lots of problems with prescriptions not being ready. As it seems to have affected at least 3 different branches in the area, I wondered if it was more than Lloyds being a bit rubbish and possibly a consequence of government policy, but I haven't really found much by googling.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
Yes. It's government's responsibly legislating for the highest good for all people and nation. If government isn't capable of this, they need to go and let better leadership do the job.
Pssst :-) Haven't you noticed that 'The People' don't want educating ?

HindleA -- " We elect them with many not bothering, ever more incumbent on citizens to educate themselves and rail at easy fit categorisations and solutions IMHO. "

PS they think they are educated enough already, down with the Nanny State etc !
Last edited by frog222 on Sat 28 Jul, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

eek.
Last edited by tinybgoat on Sat 28 Jul, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:Does anyone know anything about pharmacy funding cuts? Like those mentioned in this article:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 60986.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's just that there have been several letters in the local paper the last two weeks about the Lloyds Pharmacy chain being understaffed with lots of problems with prescriptions not being ready. As it seems to have affected at least 3 different branches in the area, I wondered if it was more than Lloyds being a bit rubbish and possibly a consequence of government policy, but I haven't really found much by googling.
There was something in the papers a few weeks ago - but, beyond that piece of fairly useless information, I can't help you! I'll keep looking, though.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:[youtube]ho9rZjlsyYY[/youtube]
Constance will be pleased that you're still following her musical activities. This latest interest of hers does rather take over the living room, though. I was trying to get her to take up the accordian, but that didn't appeal. . .

Edited - typo
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 28 Jul, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Willow904 wrote:Does anyone know anything about pharmacy funding cuts? Like those mentioned in this article:

This has some info about Lloyds:
https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/ ... 19.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Pharmacies reviewing viability of shops and investing in online services as pharmacy cuts bite"
“Closures are only one measure of the current situation across the sector — pared back services, reduced opening hours and lower morale in the pharmacy workforce are also evidence of the pressure we are all experiencing,”
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Lloyds Pharmacy closes 190 stores, blaming government cuts

Reduced funding, higher business rates and the apprenticeship levy created ‘challenging market conditions’(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... nment-cuts
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Thanks for the info on pharmacies, guys. So this is related to government cuts, then.

The letters I read show the impact central government decisions have on every day lives and also the inability of most people to make the connection. The assumption, if there was any interpretation at all, was that Lloyds management were chasing extra profit rather than the reality, which is this appears to be just the latest manifestation of an austerity that was so falsely sold to the public as cutting back on Labour's "wasteful" and "unnecessary" spending.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
hey y'all
lovely breeze and not hot
I was enjoying the heat - although I appreciate that some people (and Constance) found it a bit hard going and need the respite. I dread the winter and its attendant bills. Rain is welcome, though (not that we've had much).

I'm about to put on a cardigan!
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

[youtube]Dpe6VDN3DDI[/youtube]
This may explain Constance's antipathy to accordions.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Careless talk costs Labour Party membership

labour-councillor-suggests-israeli-secret-service coordinating the attack on Corbyn ...

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... et-service" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any way, Mossad is the wrong department , it’s not involved in lobbying, coordinating political activities ! Other people do that —

/investigations/thelobby/

https://www.aljazeera.com/investigations/thelobby/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Government made subsidy changes to pharmacies. Many pharmacy branches had to close, consolidate. I don't have the links to hand at the moment; the changes took place last year some time. My own Lloyd's didn't have to close; they're a good group of people. I think they're under a great deal of pressure.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Oops. I've posted after everyone else explained better than I. I'll leave the post because I was active trying to get government to stop it. I've a good relationship with my pharmacist and signed petitions at the time these changes were aired.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

How the 'Independent City State of Totnes' will start the reformation of Brexit Britain
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 64151.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What Totnes has started, Plymouth will surely join and London will definitely imitate. Ulverston in Cumbria, says Mr Cooper, has already been in touch suggesting a similar venture and an alliance.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:---
I was enjoying the heat - although I appreciate that some people (and Constance) found it a bit hard going and need the respite. I dread the winter and its attendant bills. Rain is welcome, though (not that we've had much).

I'm about to put on a cardigan!
(cJA edit)
I've got to put more clothes on too
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@tinyclangers2
Sounds promising
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... l-patients" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leaked figures reveal more patients coming to harm as NHS standards fall
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Mr citizen has brought up the topic of stockpiling non-perishable food items with me today for the first time
He's not stockpiler, you know?
scary times
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Seven local council byelections this week:

New Forest DC - Tory hold with close to 60% of the vote in a straight fight with the LibDems. This was a significant comeback for the latter in a ward where they won both seats in 2003, but lost them to the Tories in 2007 and by 2015 had dropped to a poor third behind UKIP (it remains the only time parties other than C/LD stood here, there was also a Labour candidate then who beat the lower placed LibDem) Though the Tories increased by 15 points since then, the LibDem advance was around double - meaning a significant swing to them overall.

Thanet DC - Tory gain from UKIP (though, as has often been the case, they were latterly sitting as an Independent) with over 60% of the vote, thus returning this ward to a safeness it last knew in 2003 when three Tories were easily elected. That number did not change in 2007, but then Indies challenged strongly and they took a seat in 2011 - but even that wasn't really indicative of what would happen in 2015, when in the "purple wave" locally UKIP took all three seats here. Neither they or Independents even stood this time, and Tories took full advantage as they more than doubled their share. Labour also up by 10 points to a quarter of the vote, whilst LibDems doubled their previous share to 11%.

Torridge DC - Tory gain from either LibDem (compared to a previous byelection last year) or UKIP (if one uses the 2015 regular elections as a base point) from which you might guess this ward has an intriguing recent electoral history - and you would not be incorrect. In 2003 two Independents were elected unopposed, but LibDems took a seat in 2007 before winning both in 2011 - only for them to stand aside three years ago and Indies and UKIP to share the spoils, with the only other candidate (a Green) narrowly missing out (and then doing the same in a straight fight with the Libs come last year's vacancy) In all that time Tories had only stood in 2011 (they came second and weren't far off winning a seat) but now they decisively triumphed with close to 60% of the vote. LibDems halved on last year, as were the Greens - though their 12% was 30 points down on 2015.

West Lancashire DC - Labour hold with over 40%, though they were pressed hard by the localist Our West Lancashire group who finished just some 5 points behind and more than doubled their score since May. This was a once safe ward for the Tories which duly returned three councillors for them in the 2002 all-outs and then in every election up to and including 2011, but since 2012 all elections have been won by Labour (only 2014 was closer than this, however) As with Labour, Tories were down about 10 points - which left them in third place with less than a quarter of the vote in this one time stronghold.

Plymouth - Labour hold with over half the vote, little changed from this May. As with the city more generally, this ward has been keenly fought between Labour and the Tories over the years with varying results - the 2003 all-outs saw three Labour members returned, but Tories won all the elections between 2006 and 2010 before Labour reasserted themselves again. Tories usually stayed competitive however, and increased their vote slightly this time - whilst LibDems dropped slightly to 6% not far ahead of a new localist group Action for Plymouth - whose first electoral outing produced modest results.

North East Lincolnshire - Labour hold with a share in the low 40s, though this was maybe a better result than it appears on paper given that the Tories actually won this ward in May (this particular vacancy was from three years ago) That result tops off another intriguing recent electoral history, three Tories elected back in the 2003 all-outs, Labour winning back a seat in 2004 and the spoils being shared in a 2006 "dual vacancy" before the LibDems won in 2007 and 2010. From 2010 there was a string of Labour wins before UKIP won in their 2014 annus mirabilis, Labour then holding their seats in 2015 and 2016 before the Tories came from third to take the UKIP seat earlier this year. A drop of 6 points in the Tory share since then meant they were narrowly defeated this time, followed by an Independent and then UKIP whose vote halved again from May to less than 5% - their sole electoral outing this week thus not bearing out their poll mini-revival. Greens also more than halved, to barely 1%.

Merthyr Tydfil - Independent gain from Labour, by a margin of just seven votes, which amongst other things neatly compliments a previous 2015 byelection in this ward when Labour beat the Indies by just eight votes. As suggested by the above, this has been a keen Labour/Indie battle for some time now - Labour took all four seats in 2004 (after Independents had made their original breakthrough in 1999) but since then things have split 2Lab/Ind in 2008 and 2017, sandwiching a 3Lab/1Ind result in 2012 (the 2015 vacancy was a Labour seat, so no return to a full slate) Both the winning Indy (who stood last year) and Labour were down about 10 points since 2017, whilst a brand new Independent took 15% - there was also the first intervention by a non-Lab/Ind candidate here since 1991, but the Tory hopeful got disowned during the campaign for errant social media posts and ended up with just 3% for their pains.

Three contests to start off August.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Message of no Tory misinformation delivery appears to have got through,I accept the democratic decision but invasion of personal space,particularly given the scandalous misrepresentation of "unfairness" of being in that space,is a step too far.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

”“While there are a few who might wallow in pessimism or have us cower in a corner at this historic crossroads, I am confident Britain’s best days lie ahead … because I am stubbornly optimistic about our country, and I am confident in our people.”“”

( ” The question is: should British households be stocking up similarly in case a Brexit deal falls through? Dominic Raab, the newly appointed minister for tinned sardines and condensed milk, suggests everything is under control. There will be a deal, probably, but just in case there isn’t one he is expecting the food industry – which means the supermarkets – to build up reserves, rather as power stations built up the coal heaps that kept the lights on and saw off the miners in 1984.”)

brexit-stockpiling-food-fear-government-feed

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nment-feed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A rich vein, which Marina Hyde and Anne Perkins have industriously mined ...

brexit-eu-may-raab-johnson-food-barnier

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... od-barnier" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

olly-robbins-steely-operator-fighting-on-the-brexit-frontline

Down to 21° Brrrrr !

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -frontline" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by frog222 on Sat 28 Jul, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tarquin disappointed he was primed for action.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Who needs hounds,security guards etc when you have a Tory hating lawn mowing turquoise tortoise,everybody should have one.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

At least PF has now got something on,I no longer have to avert my eyes.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

We never did do the nudist/naturist holiday thing,better half braver than I,even though an electron microscope would be necessary to.spot "anything"