Monday 30th July 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Monday 30th July 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 30th July 2018

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... nal-brands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trademarks for spirits and liqueurs up 41% as UK goes all in for gin

39 artisanal gin distilleries were opened in the UK in 2017 alone.And that was just to supply one person.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Link from PF last night --

Thanks to Greenpeace, evidence on this is going to the Charity Commission later today !

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... irs-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“The director of the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA) was secretly recorded telling an undercover reporter that funders could get to know ministers on first-name terms and that his organisation was in “the Brexit influencing game”.

Mark Littlewood claimed the IEA could make introductions to ministers and said the thinktank’s trade expert knew Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, David Davis and Liam Fox well.

The IEA chief was also recorded suggesting potential US donors could fund and shape “substantial content” of research commissioned by the thinktank and that its findings would always support the argument for free-trade deals.

"Research" </cough> !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

On "ugly conspiracy theories" --

labour-councillor-suggests-israeli-secret-service

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... et-service" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On saturday I pointed out that it was unlikely to be Mossad, but if anyone believes the State of israel is NOT in the business of very serious lobbying and coordination with most jewish groups worldwide I'm sure someone somewhere has a bridge for them to buy . In this example they were possibly not directly involved, but like Ed Miliband before him Jeremy Corbynj is seen as an enemy to be 'neutralised' .

( I did first write 'disposed of'', but that applied to the 1946 plan for Ernie Bevin.)

I assume that vids from the Knesset are admissible in evidence --

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]157&v=5JpQkB-nunw[/youtube]

[youtube]5JpQkB-nunw[/youtube]

The Ministry for Strategic Affairs is concentrated on counter-attacking the BDS movement, which is viewed very seriously, just like the anti-Apartheid movement of our youth was by that government.

Whoops, did I just commit AS by putting israel and apartheid in the same sentence ? :-)

PS No dog in the BDS fight, I'm more concerned with scandals at home than conducting amateur diplomacy and dramatics elsewhere .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Mark Littlewood with Humphrys on Toady .... also the Greenpeace undercover reporter .

"If you give money to IEA you get access to ministers"

ML being given a hard time !
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Even then he used it as a free advert.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... -challenge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Government kick-starts work on Future of Mobility Grand Challenge
New plans could be the start of an exciting and profound change in how people, goods and services move around the country.

Travel around the UK could dramatically change with the introduction of flying vehicles or widespread use of self-driving cars

If they are self driving why do they need us?

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... r-evidence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... r-evidence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... nment-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MH370 safety report released by Malaysian government – live
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... emy-trusts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It’s worse than Carillion: our outsourced schools are leaving parents frozen out
Aditya Chakrabortty
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... emy-trusts

It’s worse than Carillion: our outsourced schools are leaving parents frozen out
Aditya Chakrabortty
"" She’s been told how Net Academies successfully runs four academies in Harlow, Essex. Two of Net’s seven academies in Warwickshire and Reading have been ranked “inadequate”, a third “requires improvement”. According to the latest Education Policy Institute report, Net Academy Trust is the sixth-worst primary school group in England, falling below even the collapsed Wakefield City Academies Trust.

Its board is stuffed with City folk: PFI lawyers, management consultants, accountants – but apparently no working teacher. Even as it drops three of its schools, the trust’s aim is to run 25 to 30 institutions. Waltham Holy Cross will be the latest notch. “My kids are my world – and this school is their world,” Roberts says. “Why should Net spoil that?”""

Expletives deleted . Corruption and evil .

Best of luck to those parents .
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

From last night -

@Sky, this coinicidentally appeared on my recommended feed, on Youtube, at the weekend:

[youtube]J_t380X1_2A[/youtube]
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all. Managed to lock myself out of the house yesterday while putting the recycling bins out - the door slammed behind me. Fortunately I'm still fairly agile and managed to clamber over the fence once the neighbour supplied a chair...

Re ^^^

NET Academies Trust
1st Jan 2013 - 1 school in Reading
1st Jan 2014 - 1 school in Rugby
1st Jan 2015 - 3 schools in Harlow
1st Mar 2015 - 1 school in Coventry
1st Jul 2017 - 1 school in Harlow

The school in Reading has been RI since it opened as an academy
The school in Rugby was judged Inadequate in 2016 and is in special measures with regular monitoring visits.

I find it baffling that they're still giving them schools to run even though they've still not yet turned round the first two which they've had for 4-5 years.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

the best story of the morning is undoubtedly Jeremy Hunt, the new foreign secretary, telling his hosts at a meeting during his tour of China that his wife is Japanese - when in fact she’s Chinese.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... e-in-china" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Being less competent than B Johnson is quite an achievement.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all. Managed to lock myself out of the house yesterday while putting the recycling bins out - the door slammed behind me. Fortunately I'm still fairly agile and managed to clamber over the fence once the neighbour supplied a chair...
That's nothing, I managed to lock my self in my bedroom a couple of months ago. The door closed behind me and then the handle mechanism broke! I had to get the fire brigade out.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

will thorpe

@withorpe
19h19 hours ago
More
It's not just that we face the possibility of emergency stockpiling and distribution of food, medicines and fuel, it's the fact that the operation will be overseen by the same bunch of wankers who got us into this situation in the first place
They'll probably put Grayling in charge. :evil:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey wrote:
the best story of the morning is undoubtedly Jeremy Hunt, the new foreign secretary, telling his hosts at a meeting during his tour of China that his wife is Japanese - when in fact she’s Chinese.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... e-in-china" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anglo-Chinese relations are bound to suffer - in the Hunt household, if nowhere else.

It is quite something to follow Boris Johnson in a ministerial role and still look gaffe-prone on your first major trip. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/s ... d-12979255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Furious Sainsbury's, Morrisons, Asda and Tesco shoppers share pictures of empty supermarket shelves
Photographs of shelves have been shared online, as people appear baffled as to what's happening
This has been happening on and off for some time now at my local Tesco. Huge sections, especially the freezers, are just empty and not restocked for several days. And all the supermarket chains are claiming there is nothing particular going on. Yeah, pull the other one! What aren't they telling us? Until I spotted this Mirror story I thought it was a local problem - our local Tesco has always been too small with no other similar sized supermarkets in the area and has been getting extremely crowded lately - so it was interesting to find this is a more widespread problem. Some foods have been affected by the CO2 shortage, but there doesn't seem to be a direct correlation between that and the empty shelves (there's plenty of fizzy drinks, for instance, but sometimes no ice cream at all or another time no frozen meat, processed or otherwise). It's odd it's not being discussed more, given it seems to be happening in a lot of places.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:

I mean, seriously.........HOW????
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]IWWwM2wwMww[/youtube]
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

You know what that song is supposedly about, right?

(same thing as Teenage Kicks and Pictures of Lily)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
gilsey wrote:

Someone asked me how old I was a few years ago, a question I haven't regularly been asked for a very long time. My mind just went completely blank for a moment before scrabbling around for an answer in a blind panic. I was only one year out, though. Not an entire country.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

One year younger, presumably?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:Someone asked me how old I was a few years ago, a question I haven't regularly been asked for a very long time. My mind just went completely blank for a moment before scrabbling around for an answer in a blind panic. I was only one year out, though. Not an entire country.
I have had that problem for a while, although it's been easier this year as I'm about to hit a big number.

Did first supermarket order including stockpiling very long-dated stuff today ...
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

No 10 rejects claims government planning to call in army in event of no deal Brexit

I’m just back from the Number 10 lobby briefing. There was quite a lot on Brexit, although generally it did not add much to our sum of knowledge about what the government is up to. But the prime minister’s spokesman was keen to quash one of the more eye-catching stories in the Sunday papers.
Downing Street said there were “no plans” to call in the army in the event of a no deal Brexit. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
I'm torn between worrying and not worrying on the back of that "reassurance".

Edited - tidy up

Oh - and, after due thought and consideration, worrying wins!
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 30 Jul, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:One year younger, presumably?
Nope. I added one. No idea why.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well we all know by now that "no plans" doesn't mean it won't happen.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.nao.org.uk/report/adult-soc ... -a-glance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adult social care at a glance

"Adult social care covers social work, personal care and practical support for adults with a physical disability, a learning disability, or physical or mental illness, as well as support for their carers. Our overview report summarises access to and types of adult social care"
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:
No 10 rejects claims government planning to call in army in event of no deal Brexit

I’m just back from the Number 10 lobby briefing. There was quite a lot on Brexit, although generally it did not add much to our sum of knowledge about what the government is up to. But the prime minister’s spokesman was keen to quash one of the more eye-catching stories in the Sunday papers.
Downing Street said there were “no plans” to call in the army in the event of a no deal Brexit. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
I'm torn between worrying and not worrying on the back of that "reassurance".

Edited - tidy up

Oh - and, after due thought and consideration, worrying wins!
[youtube]HP9Ge9MqTgE[/youtube]
I still believe in a town called Hope
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

CrémantCommunarde

‏ @0Calamity

For clarity, the person calling themselves Peter Arif on Facebook who was posting vile AS statuses on his page is a "no trace" as a member of the Party. Complaints have just emailed me to confirm that he can't be found on the database anywhere.
10:12 AM - 30 Jul 2018
I assume mea culpas will be forthcoming from Luciana Berger and others :roll:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tripe Marketing Board @TripeUK

We're getting a bit bored promoting tripe, if we're honest. Are there any other deeply unpopular products we should think about marketing?
We were thinking maybe Tony Blair, the LibDems or syphilis.
00:26 - 30 Jul 2018
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:
CrémantCommunarde

‏ @0Calamity

For clarity, the person calling themselves Peter Arif on Facebook who was posting vile AS statuses on his page is a "no trace" as a member of the Party. Complaints have just emailed me to confirm that he can't be found on the database anywhere.
10:12 AM - 30 Jul 2018
I assume mea culpas will be forthcoming from Luciana Berger and others :roll:
We can only politely ask them.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Seek and ye shall find,even if you haven't
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The state of this...
Andrew Lilico
‏@andrew_lilico
Follow
Follow @andrew_lilico

More
The IEA protects its donors' privacy cos 1) it believes ideas shld stand on their own merits, not be seen as good/bad cos of who argues thm 2) some funders want to do their works of philanthropy without acclaim 3) the Left seeks to smear & abuse those it cannot defeat in argument
8:29 AM - 30 Jul 2018
:lol:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Boris Johnson appears to have accepted that “leave means leave” as removal vehicles were spotted outside the grace and favour home he lived in as foreign secretary the Press Association reports. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I hope someone's counting the teaspoons. And much else.

[youtube]Wak-oE-YsC8[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ity-summit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

So...the story so far with baseline assessment/testing in Early Years.

Previously three organisations put their solutions forward and schools were allowed to choose which one they wanted. Unfortunately no-one at the DfE - unlike everyone else in the edu world - realised at first that they might not be comparable.

When they did they abandoned it. And then came up with a baseline test which the fans of Nick Gibb was just the thing and mostly everyone else said was a terrible idea. And the invitation to tender went out...

Exclusive: 12 organisations shunned baseline bid

https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-12-o ... line-bid-0
In response to a Tes freedom of information request, the Department for Education said that on 11 December 2017 – shortly after the publication of an invitation to tender for the contract – it held a supplier briefing, which was attended by 13 organisations.

The supplier briefing was held “in order to highlight the main features of the specification and to answer any questions”.
But in the contract award published last week, it was confirmed that just one tender for the contract was received.
Interesting that one of the assessment world's leading lights - Prof Rob Coe who heads up the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring at Durham decided against bidding.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

refitman wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all. Managed to lock myself out of the house yesterday while putting the recycling bins out - the door slammed behind me. Fortunately I'm still fairly agile and managed to clamber over the fence once the neighbour supplied a chair...
That's nothing, I managed to lock my self in my bedroom a couple of months ago. The door closed behind me and then the handle mechanism broke! I had to get the fire brigade out.
I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one

Good-evening, everyone
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tory party's knock-off Love Island water bottles fail to fizz

Latest Conservative campaign to attract young voters could infringe ITV’s trademark (Guardian)

Theresa May's party announced on Monday afternoon it had produced special “Love Island water bottles” in the style of those used by contestants on the dating reality TV show, offering them as a competition prize. Unlike the merchandise used by stars of the ITV2 series, which feature contestants’ names, the Tory versions carry slogans such as: “Don’t let Corbyn mug you off”.
This seems pretty desperate and pathetic.
(For the record, I've never seen Love Island but, somehow, can't avoid knowing about it.)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... erchandise
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
gilsey wrote:

Mr citizen did a short, brilliant, impromptu skit regarding this bizarre mistake for me when I asked the question less than an hour ago

JHunt explaining how he and the Missus met
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

From the (not-very)live thread , DrGee @ TheOLEDman 10h ago

It is indeed ironic that ID cards would have easily solved the percieved problems that the most xenophobic UK citizens thought were to do with the EU.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Brilliant Rowson on the Salesmen of Brexit --

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... it-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4849.jpg
4849.jpg (78.82 KiB) Viewed 7525 times
Last edited by refitman on Mon 30 Jul, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: image size
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Couldn't you make that pic a little bigger? :P
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone