Monday 6th August 2018

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Monday 6th August 2018

Post by HindleA »

Morning.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 6th August 2018

Post by frog222 »

Not a 'good' morning is it ? :-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Universal Credit claimants missing out on hundreds of pounds a year because of when their payday is

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... t-13036199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/rough-ju ... nd-what-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 06 Aug, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

There is no,and never has been a single world of work to replicate,shock.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Complexifies the necessary simple,removes the necessary complex.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

HindleA wrote:Universal Credit claimants missing out on hundreds of pounds a year because of when their payday is

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... t-13036199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In the worst cases, people are losing out on significant amounts of money - hundreds of pounds over the course of a year - simply because of when their paydays and assessment periods fall,” CPAG's report says.

"This unfairness is most starkly shown by the experience of employees at the same company, with identical hours and pay, some of whom are subject to the benefit cap most months of the year simply because they are on a four-weekly contract, while their colleagues on a monthly contract are not."

No sense of urgency detected in fixing this 'detail' of the Snafu ?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Re PF's question about why we haven't heard anything about May's meeting with Macron, here's one theory
The Columnist

@Sime0nStylites
1h1 hour ago
More
3. (B) The eerie silence post Theresa May’s meeting with Macron (any positives would have been announced with great jubilation)
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a photo though, of Macron pointing, probably to the far distance he wants her to **** off to.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

There are people saying "no deal" is becoming more likely because it is what they actually (insanely) want.

There are others saying that in the hope it can sway support behind whatever compromise might eventually be agreed.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Perhaps Theresa May is hoping for this -

[youtube]tgGCQ-ABbKA[/youtube]

I think it's all she's got.

Edited - typo
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Special thanks for adam's post on the politics blog here yesterday
It's the last comment on that thread
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:Special thanks for adam's post on the politics blog here yesterday
Yes, its a good one.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:Special thanks for adam's post on the politics blog here yesterday
"RECIPROCAL rights and obligations" = forrin hairsplitting surely can't apply to we inheritors of the British Empire ?

30° (degrees) again, off for a little woodwerk then a swim. Life is hell :-)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There are people saying "no deal" is becoming more likely because it is what they actually (insanely) want.

There are others saying that in the hope it can sway support behind whatever compromise might eventually be agreed.
And yet others hoping the worse it looks, the more likely it'll lead to remain.

If only there was a majority for one of these options. :roll:

Theresa May, the worst Prime Minister ever except for the last one.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:There are people saying "no deal" is becoming more likely because it is what they actually (insanely) want.

And yet others hoping the worse it looks, the more likely it'll lead to remain.

If only there was a majority for one of these options. :roll:

Theresa May, the worst Prime Minister ever except for the last one.
Dave Cameron's entreaty to Scotland in the Scottish independence referendum in 2014, his speech before the votes were cast
I remember him authentically pleading
'Tories won't be in government forever, I won't be Prime Minister forever..., please don't go'
He took that referendum seriously
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.seefa.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"A new narrative on ageing"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

This is a good thread, despite the #FBPE.

QuantumChoices #FBPE #ABTV

@tfoale
Aug 4
More
In a normal country there can't be more rents than there are production profits and workers wages to pay them. However, we are not a normal country. We invented the offshore tax haven and trust fund system, a product of anglo-saxon law.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"People can lose the effect of work allowances, be inappropriately benefit capped while in work, and lose out on support for housing costs. These problems should surprise nobody, having been raised in parliament as far back as 2012 when universal credit was still in the design stage."

Media only largely get interested when they've got "juicy" stories to tell,they revel in other's misfortune it makes a "good " sell.Personally I don't like/feel dubious about the paraded individualised examples which just invites the judgemental.I understand why but question effect.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Uneasy" would be a better way to describe.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Says a man that links them.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

George McManus, you are what our Scottish friends call an "eejit".
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all. Library again today - in the middle of writing an article so had to trawl through a few years of local papers on microfilm. Not sure it does my eyesight much good...

Disciplinary case against Margaret Hodge is dropped.

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Evening all. Library again today - in the middle of writing an article so had to trawl through a few years of local papers on microfilm. Not sure it does my eyesight much good...

Speaking of Jewish News:
Kerry-Anne Mendoza @TheMendozaWoman

EXCLUSIVE: Today we publish an exclusive Q&A with the foreign editor of Jewish News, one of the three papers that jointly accused Jeremy Corbyn of being an 'existential threat' to Jewish life. Here he speaks out about that decision: https://www.thecanary.co/exclusive/2018 ... wish-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
12:48 PM - Aug 6, 2018
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

David Lammy wins tweet of the day...

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Evening all. Library again today - in the middle of writing an article so had to trawl through a few years of local papers on microfilm. Not sure it does my eyesight much good...

She "expressed regret" so it was a sort of "sorry-not-sorry". Better than nothing I suppose :?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote:This is a good thread, despite the #FBPE.

@tfoale
Aug 4
More
In a normal country there can't be more rents than there are production profits and workers wages to pay them. However, we are not a normal country. We invented the offshore tax haven and trust fund system, a product of anglo-saxon law.
Super thread Gilsey ! Plenty of painful statistics and nugget-quotes from ... Adam Smith ! :-)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

David Lammy pretending he can do a Danny Dyer impression is an opportuntity to remember that, whilst Dyer was indeed good enough to call Cameron a Twat on TV, he's also the man who wrote an advice column in Zoo magazine where he advised a reader to slash his ex girlfriend's face so nobody else would want her.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

frog222 wrote:

@tfoale
Aug 4
More
Super thread Gilsey ! Plenty of painful statistics and nugget-quotes from ... Adam Smith ! :-)
The Wealth of Nations is a book that's been sitting on my shelf for a long time nudging me to read it. I could take it on holiday, although obviously, as the last time I visited an almost deserted island I took Robinson Crusoe, and last year read The French Lieutenant's Woman in Lyme Regis, so this year I should really take Dracula.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

gilsey wrote:Re PF's question about why we haven't heard anything about May's meeting with Macron, here's one theory
The Columnist

@Sime0nStylites
1h1 hour ago
More
3. (B) The eerie silence post Theresa May’s meeting with Macron (any positives would have been announced with great jubilation)

There is a photo though, of Macron pointing, probably to the far distance he wants her to **** off to.
There's an alright Raphael Behr article on the graun this evening saying that the French press were more interested in the fact that the Presidential Summer Retreat was back in use.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

frog222 wrote:"RECIPROCAL rights and obligations" = forrin hairsplitting surely can't apply to we inheritors of the British Empire ?
My favourite mad BTL comment at the guardian about all of this started by saying something like 'after we saved the world and especially France and Italy from Germany and in doing so gave up the greatest and most beneficial empire the world has ever seen...'
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

And five in a row, if I post this before anyone else joins in.

There's an interesting article tucked away at the guardian saying that because of a rule change students working summer jobs will now be taxed as normal and will have to claim it back through an application process at the end of the yaer instead of just showing that your annual earnings are way below the threshold because you're only working seasonally. It's kind of the opposite of tax avoidance - an easy way to make people miss out and collect a whack of tax the state are really not entitled to.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

STOP !
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

adam wrote:David Lammy pretending he can do a Danny Dyer impression is an opportuntity to remember that, whilst Dyer was indeed good enough to call Cameron a Twat on TV, he's also the man who wrote an advice column in Zoo magazine where he advised a reader to slash his ex girlfriend's face so nobody else would want her.
Take your point but think it's more of frustration that the person most responsible for where are simply walked away from it.

A more public-spitited individual might have stood down as PM but carried on as an MP to at least give the impression that he was conscious that he needed to be seen to assist sorting it out.
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Mon 06 Aug, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

adam wrote:
frog222 wrote:

@tfoale
Aug 4
More
The Wealth of Nations is a book that's been sitting on my shelf for a long time nudging me to read it. I could take it on holiday, although obviously, as the last time I visited an almost deserted island I took Robinson Crusoe, and last year read The French Lieutenant's Woman in Lyme Regis, so this year I should really take Dracula.
I've had the temptation on and off for quite a few years/decades? to buy a decent edition of TWON ... inspired to do so by those ideological charlatans at the Adam Smith Institute . My most recent reading was reasonably serious -- Angus Calder's blockbuster Peoples War, Alex Nunn's Candidate, and WTF by Peston -- so I may have the stamina for it .

OTOH ... there's so much current stuff to research on our politico-etc nightmares ...!
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Just listening to a recorded R4 News at Ten . Looks like Margaret Hodge is going for unconditional surrender.
As predicted . nn !
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
adam wrote:David Lammy pretending he can do a Danny Dyer impression is an opportuntity to remember that, whilst Dyer was indeed good enough to call Cameron a Twat on TV, he's also the man who wrote an advice column in Zoo magazine where he advised a reader to slash his ex girlfriend's face so nobody else would want her.
Take your point but think it's more of frustration that the person most responsible for where are simply walked away from it.

A more public-spitited individual might have stood down as PM but carried on as an MP to at least give the impression that he was conscious that he needed to be seen to assist sorting it out.
God yes.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

adam wrote:
frog222 wrote:

@tfoale
Aug 4
More
Whitby - or further afield?

Edited - to put my bit in the right place
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I see Boris is being a dick again.

Can you imagine the outcry if Jeremy Corbyn had mocked Jewish hats and curly sideburns?

Before I went out and got ludicrously sunburned today I had the misfortune of hearing John McTernan (Blair advisor) discussing Corbyn's alleged antisemitism on Radio 5 this morning. Not only is he borderline insane but everything he said was wrong. The whole debacle didn't even start with Corbyn, it started under Miliband when he had the temerity to suggest Labour would recognise a Palestinian state. Maureen Lipman went nuts and a concerted campaign was started to persuade Jews not to vote Labour. Of course with him being Jewish they couldn't come right out and call him an antisemite, but it's the same people running the same campaign for the same reasons. So to claim, as McTernan did this morning, that this all started with the 'hard left' taking over the Labour party is demonstrably bullshit. But then he still thinks invading Iraq was a brilliant success and the sun shines out of Blair's arse so obviously he's someone you want on the BBC giving a reasoned, balanced opinion.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:Whitby - or further afield?
Whitby - I've been before but years ago, before we had kids, when the only holidays we had involved camping. Now my older daughter is at uni in York and goes there for the weekend...
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

adam wrote:The Wealth of Nations is a book that's been sitting on my shelf for a long time nudging me to read it. I could take it on holiday, although obviously, as the last time I visited an almost deserted island I took Robinson Crusoe, and last year read The French Lieutenant's Woman in Lyme Regis, so this year I should really take Dracula.
So either Whitby or Romania, if it's the latter that's where my brother currently is on holiday and why I'm looking after his house and chickens. He emailed me from Sighisoara, birthplace of Vlad the Impaler a couple of days ago to tell me that he'd been eaten alive by bedbugs then got food poisoning and didn't dare venture more than 20 yards from a toilet. The bedbug bloodsucking was obviously amusing given the location but if vampires made you shit yourself repeatedly I doubt Twilight would have been such a success.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Bah too slow, I suck.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Make sure you don't go to Whitby during the 'Goth' festival.

I mean as an old goth myself obviously I'm not being snooty or anything but now it's been taken over by steampunks.

And as far as I recall Dracula didn't wear flying goggles or affix brass cogs to a kilt for no discernible reason.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The trouble with goth weekend is that there’s more people gawking at the goths, than there are goths.
It’s not till Halloween, anyway.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote:The trouble with goth weekend is that there’s more people gawking at the goths, than there are goths.
It’s not till Halloween, anyway.
See that depends on what you regard to be a goth.

A scruffy looking dude like me wearing an old Fields of the Nephilim t-shirt or some baby boomer pensioners flaunting their disposable wealth on elaborate expensive costumes that make them look like the bastard offspring of Jules Verne and Rob Roy.

Goth, at least when I was young, was about horror and minor chords. It died in the early Nineties and should have remained undead, in some crypt somewhere, never to be allowed to emerge again. Especially not as an expensive fancy dress party for preening twats.